Freeza and his men all have stereotypically "gay" traits?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Freeza and his men all have stereotypically "gay" traits

Post by Big Momma » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Fizzer wrote:
ABED wrote: Feminists will find ANYTHING to complain about
While that doesn't particularly add anything here, switch "feminists" for "certain sub-groups of feminism" (becausenthere are many completely separate groups with different agendas using the same name) and it becomes true and inoffensive, because that's literally their intention.
More like "Switch Feminists for 'Feminists on Tumblr'".

Regardless, I always find it interesting when people discuss these kinds of things regarding Dragon Ball. Whether it be racial, sexual, or gender stereotypes...it's definitely interesting to hear people speculate on it. Personally, I never really put that much thought into those things while watching.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 pm

I definitely think they were given feminine traits, but I think it's up to the viewer to decide if that strikes them as 'gay' or not. I personally don't see it. Yes they may have acted posh or delicate, but I don't see traits of them liking other men(accept for a few choice instances in the Funi dub) so I just assumed they were aristocratic. If someone views the same traits that I view as aristocratic as gay, then I could see them thinking they're gay.

Then again, same goes for what traits people view as feminine. XD I guess what I'm just saying is that they struck me as a spoiled empire who were not used to needing to get their hands dirty in order to get what they wanted.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:47 pm

Smochi wrote:I definitely think they were given feminine traits, but I think it's up to the viewer to decide if that strikes them as 'gay' or not. I personally don't see it. Yes they may have acted posh or delicate, but I don't see traits of them liking other men(accept for a few choice instances in the Funi dub) so I just assumed they were aristocratic. If someone views the same traits that I view as aristocratic as gay, then I could see them thinking they're gay.

Then again, same goes for what traits people view as feminine. XD I guess what I'm just saying is that they struck me as a spoiled empire who were not used to needing to get their hands dirty in order to get what they wanted.
This is exactly why I put "stereotypically" in the title - who knows what actualy "gay traits" are? :P

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Fizzer wrote:
Smochi wrote:I definitely think they were given feminine traits, but I think it's up to the viewer to decide if that strikes them as 'gay' or not. I personally don't see it. Yes they may have acted posh or delicate, but I don't see traits of them liking other men(accept for a few choice instances in the Funi dub) so I just assumed they were aristocratic. If someone views the same traits that I view as aristocratic as gay, then I could see them thinking they're gay.

This is exactly why I put "stereotypically" in the title - who knows what actualy "gay traits" are? :P
Attraction to the same sex is a big one :)
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Stereotypes seem to be very common in anime. Often in a derogatory fashion. Take Mr. Popo and Jinx for example. I have always wondered why that was.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Well, Popo isn't human, and I seriously doubt Toriyama had any kind of hateful thoughts while designing him. I don't think the "black face" and its implications are even that well known here in the UK (I know about it because of Popo), and I'm guessing it's even further from public awareness in Japan. I imagine it was a case of "Oh, I'll base it on that American art style with the black face and big lips!" while being pretty much unaware of what it meant or how it was offensive, because basically, that whole thing didn't happen in Japan.

Jynx probably wasn't based on the black face at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8X3l_Tt8VE

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:37 am

FrogTrigger wrote:I always thought they were just snobs as a kid

Still do
Yes, exactly, thinking they're "acting gay" is childish, they act like stereotypical posh rich people, they're like evil Frasier and Niles.

Like the Ginyu Special Corps posing, they're supposed to be Power Rangers!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 am

If the Ginyu Squad were meant to be a parody of Super Sentai, how come we never see the Ginyu-Megazord battle it out with Oozaru Vegeta?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 am

Kid Buu wrote:If the Ginyu Squad were meant to be a parody of Super Sentai, how come we never see the Ginyu-Megazord battle it out with Oozaru Vegeta?
Tokusatsu ain't always about Giant Robots. What's probably most remembered are the silly and uneeded poses the heroes strike.

It's all about style.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:08 am

That's true; my favourite Toku (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) didn't have giant robots. Now imagine if the Ginyu Force were actually Sailor Senshi, they'd fuck up anyone except for Yamcha.

Also, Freeza's English Voice reminded me Rita from Power Rangers a bit. So I guess that's where the "gay" trait comes from.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Kid Buu wrote:That's true; my favourite Toku (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) didn't have giant robots. Now imagine if the Ginyu Force were actually Sailor Senshi, they'd fuck up anyone except for Yamcha.

Also, Freeza's English Voice reminded me Rita from Power Rangers a bit. So I guess that's where the "gay" trait comes from.
Coincidentally, Barbara Goodson, the voice of Rita, was also the voice of Goku in the Harmony Gold dub.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Fizzer wrote:Well, Popo isn't human, and I seriously doubt Toriyama had any kind of hateful thoughts while designing him. I don't think the "black face" and its implications are even that well known here in the UK (I know about it because of Popo), and I'm guessing it's even further from public awareness in Japan. I imagine it was a case of "Oh, I'll base it on that American art style with the black face and big lips!" while being pretty much unaware of what it meant or how it was offensive, because basically, that whole thing didn't happen in Japan.

Jynx probably wasn't based on the black face at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8X3l_Tt8VE
Makes sense with blackface, but obviously not with stereotypical gay/feminine traits. Let's be honest, I doubt AT was a homophobe but he wasn't partciularly thoughful or considerate either, especially 20/30 years ago. Throughout 519 chapters and huge cast of characters, there's not a single 'normal' gay dude appearing in DB, while stupid offensive stereotypes like Blue and Otokosuki appear with no problem...

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Basaku wrote:
Fizzer wrote:Well, Popo isn't human, and I seriously doubt Toriyama had any kind of hateful thoughts while designing him. I don't think the "black face" and its implications are even that well known here in the UK (I know about it because of Popo), and I'm guessing it's even further from public awareness in Japan. I imagine it was a case of "Oh, I'll base it on that American art style with the black face and big lips!" while being pretty much unaware of what it meant or how it was offensive, because basically, that whole thing didn't happen in Japan.

Makes sense with blackface, but obviously not with stereotypical gay/feminine traits. Let's be honest, I doubt AT was a homophobe but he wasn't partciularly thoughful or considerate either, especially 20/30 years ago. Throughout 519 chapters and huge cast of characters, there's not a single 'normal' gay dude appearing in DB, while stupid offensive stereotypes like Blue and Otokosuki appear with no problem...
Blue might not be perfect, but I actually thought that (in the manga only) he was a pretty good gay character considering he's from '80s Japan. I could be wrong, but I think it was quite rare to see a homosexual character whose sexuality wasn't their main/only feature, but actually quite a small part of their character. Otokosuki, on the hand... Well...

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:46 pm

Fizzer wrote: Blue might not be perfect, but I actually thought that (in the manga only) he was a pretty good gay character considering he's from '80s Japan. I could be wrong, but I think it was quite rare to see a homosexual character whose sexuality wasn't their main/only feature, but actually quite a small part of their character. Otokosuki, on the hand... Well...
Except that Blue hits on little boys :? And acts like a screaming girl when seeing a mouse and when Bulma touches him. This is more of a contest which one was more offensive, AT certintely doesn't deserve any 'good job!' points for Blue :?

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Basaku wrote:
Fizzer wrote: Blue might not be perfect, but I actually thought that (in the manga only) he was a pretty good gay character considering he's from '80s Japan. I could be wrong, but I think it was quite rare to see a homosexual character whose sexuality wasn't their main/only feature, but actually quite a small part of their character. Otokosuki, on the hand... Well...
Except that Blue hits on little boys :? And acts like a screaming girl when seeing a mouse and when Bulma touches him. This is more of a contest which one was more offensive, AT certintely doesn't deserve any 'good job!' points for Blue :?
I'll give you the Bulma thing. Blue is afraid of the mouse because he hates dirty things, and I think that's a separate character trait played for comedy, such as when he has a soldier executed for picking his nose. The pedophilia was added by Toei in the anime (it seems they advocated harsher views), which is why I said I was talking specifically about manga Blue.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Fizzer wrote:I'll give you the Bulma thing. Blue is afraid of the mouse because he hates dirty things, and I think that's a separate character trait played for comedy, such as when he has a soldier executed for picking his nose. The pedophilia was added by Toei in the anime (it seems they advocated harsher views), which is why I said I was talking specifically about manga Blue.
Let's give 0.5 "points" then. Not exactly convinced him being scared of dirt wasn't just another stereotypical jab but let's assume it wasn't and perhaps that's all one could realistically expect of "manga in the mid-80s". But the franchise run to mid 90s. And the overall picture didn't get any better, AT used homosexuality for villains, kicks, camping-up & comedy, not exactly uplifting stuff. Not one of the huge cast of main heroes was "normal gay" to balance things out, even at the end of the saga.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Basaku wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I'll give you the Bulma thing. Blue is afraid of the mouse because he hates dirty things, and I think that's a separate character trait played for comedy, such as when he has a soldier executed for picking his nose. The pedophilia was added by Toei in the anime (it seems they advocated harsher views), which is why I said I was talking specifically about manga Blue.
Let's give 0.5 "points" then. Not exactly convinced him being scared of dirt wasn't just another stereotypical jab but let's assume it wasn't and perhaps that's all one could realistically expect of "manga in the mid-80s". But the franchise run to mid 90s. And the overall picture didn't get any better, AT used homosexuality for villains, kicks, camping-up & comedy, not exactly uplifting stuff. Not one of the huge cast of main heroes was "normal gay" to balance things out, even at the end of the saga.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it was an ultra-modern equalist masterpiece or anything of the sort, just that I thought the way Blue was handled was better than most back then.