Times when a Dub > Original

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Times when a Dub > Original

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:44 am

In what scenes would you guys say this happens? For me personally I prefer the "It's Over 9000" part in the English dub (was it Ocean or Funimation?) over the Japanese even if it was unrealistic because Vegeta wouldn't be that exaggerated when he's at 18,000.
(BTW this discussion can be for any dub.)
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Times when a Dub > Original

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:47 am

xmysticgohanx wrote:(was it Ocean or Funimation?)
It was always FUNimation. Until it gets to the "alternate" English dub produced simultaneously alongside FUNimation's English dub based out of Texas, even the earlier work (1996-1998) was still produced by FUNimation.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:52 am

Despite some corny acting I still prefer Funi's take on the opening to the Trunks TV special.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:14 pm

It depends on which of the animes we're talking about. I think the English dub of Kai overall was more enjoyable than the Japanese version. Which is not to say the Japanese version was bad, that's not the case at all, it's just that a lot--not all--but a lot of the voices struck me as having this "been there, done that" feeling in their delivery...which is probably because they had been there and done that. With the English dub, there was a certain life behind it, which I attribute to the fact that for the new voice actors, it was legitimately something new for them, and for many of the returning voice actors, they were eager to do a more faithful dub of DBZ, and they finally got their shot.

As far as DBZ is concerned, I think there are points at which the dub was on par with the Japanese version--especially if one is listening to the Kikuchi score--but I can't think of any moments that surpassed the Japanese version.

Well, OK, except for one. It was an extremely odd instance of the dub actually correcting an error on the Japanese end. When Gohan is fighting Vegeta on Earth, there's a scene where he starts firing back-to-back masenkohas* at Vegeta. They have the color and the hand gesture of the masenkoha...but for some odd reason, in the Japanese version, Gohan yelled, "Kamehameha!" In the dub, they changed--and in effected, corrected--this to, "Masenkoha."

*Is that spelling correct? Wasn't sure about this...
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:26 pm

I've always assumed the "Kamehameha" thing was intentional, as if it was Gohan's way of saying "I can be as brave and tough as my dad."

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

The Funimation Dub came up with an explanation for Cell's regeneration that makes sense, so kudos to them for that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Fixing the Cell plot hole.

"I don't care if you're a million times stronger than me, I'm not going to let them down!"

Basically all of Kai.

DB: "No, I can't give her that, the wheels fell off" gets me every time. Quite a few of the funny lines in DB, especially from Roshi, were improved upon in the dub in my eyes.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Yeah it's corny and probably something Goku wouldn't say but I've always liked the "million times stronger" line. It's one of the dub lines I would love to hear delivered by a more experienced Schemmel.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Despite only seeing a portion of the anime in Japanese I noticed one or two times during the later part of the Freeza arc that the lip flapping animation would sometimes continue even after an actor was speaking. It's only a minor nitpick but I remember being quite jarred by it at first and I can't recall anything like that happening in the English dubs so there's that I guess.

This second one might be more to do with personal preference but I wasn't a fan of everyone (besides Goku and the majority of the villains) sounding very normal and plain in comparison to the English dubs more character driven voices. The Japanese takes were often more subtle and while this does help in taking the show more seriously I can't help but miss the more theatrical performances from certain talented English VAs. There is a balance to it though as admittedly the English performances can seem a little too over dramatic in the context of the scene they're in but I can appreciate both.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:31 pm

NitroEX wrote:Despite only seeing a portion of the anime in Japanese I noticed one or two times during the later part of the Freeza arc that the lip flapping animation would sometimes continue even after an actor was speaking. It's only a minor nitpick but I remember being quite jarred by it at first and I can't recall anything like that happening in the English dubs so there's that I guess.
I think that might be a cultural thing, because I've noticed in a number of animes that the lip-syncing on the Japanese end isn't always perfect. As I understand it, Japanese audiences aren't tremendously bothered by that because there's just this general cultural understanding that that's how cartoons work over there. To other cultures, it can be a tad distracting when the lip-syncing is off...and indeed, when I tell people outside anime fandom that I watch dubs, their first reaction is, "Oh, you mean that weird thing where the lips don't match?" I of course go on to explain that dubs have been vastly improved on every front since the Godzilla days, but that response of theirs is rather telling of how people perceive the word "dub."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:36 pm

Does the show record before, after, or at the same time as the animation is being done?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:54 pm

ABED wrote:Does the show record before, after, or at the same time as the animation is being done?
Most anime do the recording after the animation is being done so I assume that's the case.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:00 pm

I did like the fact they used the Ginyu Transformation theme for when Cell dies and the Super Saiya-Jin 3 scene is decent in the Funi-dub. I really enjoyed how the Westwood dub handled Vegetto in the Boo arc as well.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:04 pm

SSJ3_Zack wrote:I really enjoyed how the Westwood dub handled Vegetto in the Boo arc as well.
This reminded me that I much prefer Vegetto and other potara fused characters having one fused voice like in the westwood dub as opposed to the 2 voice used in Japanese. I do prefer Gogeta having two voices though but Gotenks I'm undecided as I like both portrayals.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:12 pm

In the original Z, sometimes lines would start after a mouth flap or end prematurely due to working with sometimes unfinished clips and I assume, a lack of technology to ensure everything was perfectly synced. With the redub of Kai, it was nice to have everything timed perfectly to the mouth flaps.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:42 pm

"I am the hope of the universe, I am the light in the darkness, I am truth. ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU!"

That wasn't even IN the Japanese version, so props to the writers for putting that in.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Pahaha, I love you.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:00 pm

When Gohan said Masenko instead of Kamhemahea.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:38 pm

goku's "Birthright" speech to vegeta. Basically took all of Vegeta's whinging about "Saiyan Pride" and turned it against him.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:"I am the hope of the universe, I am the light in the darkness, I am truth. ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU!"

That wasn't even IN the Japanese version, so props to the writers for putting that in.
Oh you.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?