Are there levels to ssj2 and ssj3?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Are there levels to ssj2 and ssj3?

Post by IGhostUlt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Are there levels to ssj2 and ssj3 like their were with ssj1 with ascended and ultra or even full powered ssj?

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Are there levels to ssj2 and ssj3?

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Well, apparently, SSJ2 forms can get rage boosts and there is a full powered SSJ3 compared to the original or something.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:12 pm

Officially? I doubt it.

But since I disregard the "Legendary Super Saiyan" form and just consider its few unique traits to be a mutation Broli possesses in all forms, including Grade III, I apply the same graded stages to Super Saiyan 2 and 3 to explain his level 3 appearance.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:06 am

Wasn't super saiyan 3 mentioned somewhere as actually being like ussj (as in, not a 'proper' form). I remember comments along those lines being brought up before but I'm unclear on the details off the top of my head. (whether they meant it was simply 'not perfected' like ussj was not perfected, since both have a drastic drawback[speed lose, or energy drain], or if they meant it was a not a separate form like ssj and ssj2 were, meaning I guess 'ssj3' would essentially be a strained super saiyan 2 form, like how ussj is a strained super saiyan 1 form).

Either way, I like to think there are, since it rounds them out nicely, but then I also like to class 'max power master roshi' and 'ussj' as the same thing, in that the 'buff' part is actually a separate 'power up' from the super saiyan part, and trunks just decided to use them together when trying to push his strength further. (meaning technically none of the super saiyan forms have levels, it was just the character's base form getting stronger underneath :P)
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:05 am

I'm sure they could train the forms on grade2-3 but after what happend with cell i dout we'll ever see those forms again
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:30 am

But wouldn't a full powered ssj 2 or ssj 3 be the way to go?

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 am

There should be a degree of mastering the ascensions, so of course. Could newly transformed angry-moment Goten or Trunks beat a highly trained SSJ Mirai Trunks? NO.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:09 pm

I guess it's possible that there could be gradations to those two forms as there are to the original Super Saiyan, but as Toriyama chose to supersede the concept of continuing to develop upon the original Super Saiyan by adding subsequent transformations, it never really made any sense to either the plot of his way of thinking to flesh out either Super Saiyan 2 or 3 as he did for Super Saiyan.

As for the notions of a 'rage boost' and a 'full power Super Saiyan 3', the former is just a fan explanation to explain Gohan's strength against Cell and how an angry Vegeta could surpass Goku as a Super Saiyan 3 without reaching that level himself (it's not even clear that he's even a Super Saiyan 2 at time in question in BofG) whilst the latter just refers to Goku's relative full power ahead of fighting Kid Buu.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the different 'levels' of Super Saiyan 1 and 2 are simply un-mastered states of Super Saiyan. 'Mastering' Super Saiyan Grades 2 and 3 would just result in the state Goku and Gohan achieved after training in the Rosat for however long.

That being said, Vegeta, for instance, probably could have induced the bulky shortcut-to-power state for Super Saiyan 2 if he wanted, but would've opted against it since he's learned that that approach is inefficient. Goku trying to do the same with Super Saiyan 3 seems like a bad idea, though. I just imagine him having a heart attack right on the spot.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:40 am

Savage68 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the different 'levels' of Super Saiyan 1 and 2 are simply un-mastered states of Super Saiyan. 'Mastering' Super Saiyan Grades 2 and 3 would just result in the state Goku and Gohan achieved after training in the Rosat for however long.
Wouldn't they be unmastered states of SSJ2? I think if Vegeta went SSJG3 and then did his Final Flash, it would've easily trumped Goku's Instant Kamehameha (I'm a little lost as to the strength increase of SSJG1).

Anyway, a cheap analogy to the way that I interpret SSJ levels is to compare them to degrees of personal fitness.

SSJ1 - Being in good shape. You exercise and you're always ready to engage in something physical. You can push yourself to a higher "everyday" standard of fitness until you're pretty much ready to do absolutely anything athletic at the drop of a hat, at which point you've mastered the comfortable abilities of your body.

SSJ Grades 2 and 3 - You're bulking at the gym. Not the best way of conditioning your body, as you're probably really bad at sports, but your bench press is massive.

SSJ2 - You're actively training for something, and putting your body under considerable stress to attain the physical competency required to play, for instance, a professional sport. Your body is in incredible shape and you are strong far beyond that of a normal person - but if you slack, you'll quickly begin to lose your abilities. There is no "mastery" of this form because you are essentially at your body's limit for physical capability.

SSJ3 - You're cheating and taking steroids. Your body is going to give out, and probably soon.

Obviously this analogy is rough, especially considering that a saiyan's base strength doesn't seem to have any kind of limit (or any race, for that matter), but you get the point. I don't see there being levels to SSJ2 and SSJ3 just because of their very nature. SSJ2 is like a perfect combat form, in that there really isn't any other way to be at that level of strength than what it is; you are supremely conditioned in all aspects. SSJ3 is just a gross over-extension of a saiyan's power, and could never be "mastered" or taken to another exaggerated level.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃