DragonballOnline Revelation

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

DragonballOnline Revelation

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 17, 2014 11:16 pm

What is this and when did this start?
http://dborevelations.com/main/
WHAT IS DBO REVELATIONS?
DBO:Revelations, is an Emulator of the late, Dragonball Online MMO, that was shutdown late October 2013.
The DBOR team started work on November 11th, 2013.
Emulator can be defined as "to try to equal or excel; imitate with effort to equal or surpass" (Dictionary.com). At DBORevelations, Emulator refers to the software the DBORevelations team is building.
This Emulator is meant to imitate NTL's server-side software, which hosted the original Dragonball Online MMO.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR ME?
This sadly means, that you won't have your old account, or anything associated with anymore.
But the good news is, that the game will be in your local language (if it apart of a major language, sorry for those who aren't!)
DBO CINEMATICS
Is this like a private server or something? What would this "emulator" do once it get to the part of DBO that wasn't finish or updated? How would the story finish?

Coming soon?

Is this suppose to be the DBO comeback? This is so confusing :crazy: .

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: DragonballOnline Revelation

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat May 17, 2014 11:45 pm

It is an unofficial, private server that is being created by fans. It began production after the game shut down.

They will be altering the game's already existing content and creating new content if they ever reach that point.

As such, I don't really care about the project at all. Only potential interesting thing would be to ask those creating it for hacked god stats in order to freely explore the maps for in-game secrets without fear of the monsters. That way, we could document stuff like Gero's robit lab in the old RRA base.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sun May 18, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 17, 2014 11:53 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It is an unofficial, private server that is being created by fans. It began production after the game shut down.

They will be altering the game's already existing content and creating new content if they ever reach that point.

As such, I don't really care about the project at all. Only potential interesting thing would be to ask those creating it for hacked god stats in order to freely explore the maps for in-game secrets, like Gero's robit lab in the old RRA base, for documentation purposes.
Oh that'll be cool. I wonder how they can make new content. To unofficially advance the plot

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:04 am

I give up DBO ever coming to the US years ago. I'm pretty sure my PC can run it, but I can care less about the game now. If this was back in 2007 or 2008, I would give it a try. It been too long for me to be hype up for the game.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 18, 2014 12:27 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Oh that'll be cool. I wonder how they can make new content. To unofficially advance the plot
It's illegal for them to have obtained and use any of the NTL server side files, so they have to code everything themselves. They'll make new content the same way they are making the rest of the project. Only in this case, they'll have to create new models and textures too.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 18, 2014 12:34 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Oh that'll be cool. I wonder how they can make new content. To unofficially advance the plot
It's illegal for them to have obtained and use any of the NTL server side files, so they have to code everything themselves. They'll make new content the same way they are making the rest of the project. Only in this case, they'll have to create new models and textures too.
Sounds fun but a lot of work hehe. I might have to look more into this once more information comes up. Is it possible to upgrade the graphics? How they accquire the code files for the the game? I understand in Wii or home consoles. But how about MMORPG? Is it illegal to do this?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 18, 2014 2:00 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Sounds fun but a lot of work hehe. I might have to look more into this once more information comes up. Is it possible to upgrade the graphics? How they accquire the code files for the the game? I understand in Wii or home consoles. But how about MMORPG? Is it illegal to do this?
The character textures and mission text, stuff like that, was all downloaded to your computer when you installed the game. It's illegal for them to have the server side files though, the code that tells the game how to function. Like, the model rigs and which textures go where, enemy AI, executing attacks, etc. They literally have to create all that from scratch, on their own.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun May 18, 2014 2:30 am

I started following this project when it came around and I have to say, and I could be wrong here, but I don't think they're ever going to release anything. They are focused on keeping up social media appearances, making nice graphical eye-candy like wallpapers, and talking about the things they're doing. I think the team behind this doesn't have the means to bring it about, and they're just riding on the hype that's accumulated so far and milking that for whatever reason.

Once the journey is coming to an end, they'll probably lie about receiving a c&d and that'll be the end of it.

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Sun May 18, 2014 7:03 am

I don't believe it would have to do with legality Devil's Corpse, both code and art assets are both just as 'illegal' to use since they don't own the intellectual property rights to them. It's more likely that the code just doesn't exist on the client*. The client sends info, the server processes it, and sends back the output.

((to those wanting further explanation - think of it like a math sum, your computer runs some code and ultimately generates and sends '1, 6, 8, 22'. The server responds with '40'. With those servers gone it means they need to reverse engine what 1 6 8 and 22 were being 'plugged in to' to get the answer of 40
eg. (1 + 6 * (22 / 8 )) * 2.5 - 3.75
Only way to get at the server code would be if the devs leaked/released it, since it is never accessed by the players computer directly.
They're recreating this 'blind' i assume, so as you can guess... it's a lot of work and more than likely will end up quite different - visually similar and trying it's best to emulate the mechanics and gameplay, but 'under the hood' drastically different.

*unless I'm incorrect on the delegation used by DBO, it depends on how much of their processing is handled by which part of the game(client or server). If they do have access to code though and are not using it for the reason you gave, then that means they are somewhat misinformed about the laws at play((especially given their use of ripped DBO assets all over the site and presumably a full intention to use all the in-game art assets too :P)). Sometimes however people avoid using existing code because it's actually easier for them to start for scratch then to try reverse engineering from the pieces that are there, which in circumstances like this can often make more sense then you'd initially think.
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun May 18, 2014 8:33 am

This looks interesting, and I'll definitely try it.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 18, 2014 12:26 pm

I'm just going off what little I've been told about the project, as well as a similar Star Wars project that's done the same thing due to legality issues or whatever. I could be entirely wrong, but it would be due to inaccurate sources. I don't really care enough about the project to do any research on my own.