Why did FUNimation spell Freeza with an "i"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Why did FUNimation spell Freeza with an "i"?

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:01 pm

Why wouldn't they just spell it the way it's supposed to be spelled? Was it a mistake? I've never really stopped and wondered what the reason was behind it.
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Wed May 21, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why did FUNimation spell Freeza with an "i"?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 21, 2014 12:03 pm

We'll never know.

Perhaps for easier trademarking, perhaps just to be 90s X-treme about it, perhaps for no reason at all.

For what it's worth, Bandai used the proper "Freeza" spelling on their North American release of the Super Battle Collection figures prior to FUNimation establishing their new spelling, as did the closed captioning authors.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Wed May 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Who knows? But for some damn reason they love it.

It doesn't even make sense since you don't say "fry-za" or "fry-eza".
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed May 21, 2014 12:12 pm

I've never thought it looked it should be "fry-za", because that isn't how we read thief, brief, belief, shriek, and loads of other words like that. I think they chose that spelling to get away from "freezer" and have him taken more seriously.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Fizzer wrote:I think they chose that spelling to get away from "freezer" and have him taken more seriously.
By casting Pauline Newstone as his voice and re-writing his entire character. Of course! :)
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:25 pm

As a Dub fan....I HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA! hahaha :lol: I always hated the way that was spelled. I have to admit though most of the time I do spell things the way the dub does. I'm still not use to spelling Majin B uu ''Boo'' hahaha but I'm getting it. lol when you've spelled something the same for over 15 years it's hard to suddenly change haha like how I would spell Paikuhan ''Pi kkon(I put a space in the middle because If I don't then the site will catch it and change it.)
I do like Kor-in better than I do Kairin. :? I just think it sounds better. 1 thing I know I won't ever be able to break is the dubs way of saying Saiyan. because when I hear CYON or however you would say it(you guys know what I'm talking about dang it lol) it just sounds so odd to me. lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Wed May 21, 2014 12:35 pm

samuraix123 wrote: 1 thing I know I won't ever be able to break is the dubs way of saying Saiyan. because when I hear CYON or however you would say it(you guys know what I'm talking about dang it lol) it just sounds so odd to me. lol
Depends which one I use.

If I say Saiyan I always use the dub way of saying it because... it just sounds better and rolls on the tongue easier.

If I saw Saiya-jin I use the CYO pronunciation because "say-ah-jin" sounds weird

Also I didn't think the Buu spelling was corrected to Boo? Guess I'll see when this is posted :lol:
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 21, 2014 12:37 pm

thomas1up wrote:Also I didn't think the Buu spelling was corrected to Boo? Guess I'll see when this is posted :lol:
Both of those are perfectly valid and sensical adaptations of the name that had precedents long before FUNimation.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Fizzer wrote:I've never thought it looked it should be "fry-za", because that isn't how we read thief, brief, belief, shriek, and loads of other words like that.
I agree with this part at least - I've never gotten the argument that the i suddenly makes it where you would pronounce it differently, not when we have tons of words that don't do it.

As far as why they did it though...I'd guess the easier brand recognition thing (not really sure the 'EXTREME' thing would come into play here though), kind of the same reason that they've now chosen to go with 'Beerus' over 'Beers'. Course, I understand the decision with Beerus more than I do with Fr-i-eza over Freeza, simply because Freeza already looks pretty recognizable...but eh, this was old-time FUNi we're talking about.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 21, 2014 12:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I think they chose that spelling to get away from "freezer" and have him taken more seriously.
By casting Pauline Newstone as his voice and re-writing his entire character. Of course! :)
I don't hate her voice, there's a creepy quality to it, but the writing is what was really wrong, and only got worse in season 3.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Wed May 21, 2014 12:56 pm

This is my biggest issue with the "i" spelling

Anyway it seems like such a completely pointless change. I mean why? A good portion of people watching the show most likely won't even read his name until some time later, and what they're gonna think "GOOD GRIEF! HIS NAME SOUNDS LOVE TO A FREEZER! THIS MAKES HIM IMPOSSIBLE TO TAKE SERIOUSLY!!" and if they would bother to change the spelling so it's more "srs bzniss" then for what reason do they keep the pronunciation the same?

No matter what I can't wrap my head around this pointless change for any other reason than "just cuz"
ABED wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
I don't hate her voice, there's a creepy quality to it, but the writing is what was really wrong, and only got worse in season 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBrAgJmjVjk

Bad writing is an understatement :lol:
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 pm

I don't know a Frieza, only a Freezer, just as a Boo or a Saiyajin.

And his name is Freezer. The katakana could be translated to Freezer, Frieza or Freeza but in the end on and the same word is meant with one and the same Pronounciation.
Last edited by Cetra on Wed May 21, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:01 pm

thomas1up wrote:It doesn't even make sense since you don't say "fry-za" or "fry-eza".
"Frieza" would be pronounced free-zuh... Now if it were spelt "Freiza", then it would be frahy-zuh. There are exceptions, but mostly in pluralized forms of short, single-syllable words (such as "fry" to "fries"), but that's a case of "y" becoming "i" and adding "es" to pluralize, and not a case of "ie" being pronounced ahy (that ahy sound is just from the "i" all by itself).

So, Funimation's spelling is correct pronunciation-wise, however it is not correct as a pun on "freezer". Most likely, the spelling is most likely not Funimation's fault. I believe they saw it written that way in the terribly translated scrips they received (Hey, look! An example of an exception on the "ei" rule!) from Toei. Looking at the copyright information they submitted to the Copyright Database, I can tell that Toei is probably to blame for "Master Roshi", "Tien Shinhan", "Kami", "Shenron", "Krillin", and the "Nimbus Cloud" (which FUNi changed slightly). Oddly, though, Toei at least had Kaio's name right, and Funimation went and changed it.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
I still think Newstone is better than Linda Young Fr(i)eza :sick:
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed May 21, 2014 3:04 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
I still think Newstone is better than Linda Young Fr(i)eza :sick:
Ayres/Nakao are definitely my prefferred Freeza voices. But between Young and Newstone, I agree. Newstone is more fitting that Young was.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed May 21, 2014 3:56 pm

thomas1up wrote:A good portion of people watching the show most likely won't even read his name until some time later, and what they're gonna think "GOOD GRIEF! HIS NAME SOUNDS LOVE TO A FREEZER! THIS MAKES HIM IMPOSSIBLE TO TAKE SERIOUSLY!!" and if they would bother to change the spelling so it's more "srs bzniss" then for what reason do they keep the pronunciation the same?
Episode 45 of Z is titled Frieza Strikes!

It is the second episode he appears in. So, people would catch the spelling quickly unless they can't read. Personally, I usually use the Funimation spellings and names, simply because I'm used to them more. I use the original names if I am specifically referring to the original version.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 21, 2014 3:57 pm

I don't see
linkdude20002001 wrote:
thomas1up wrote:It doesn't even make sense since you don't say "fry-za" or "fry-eza".
"Frieza" would be pronounced free-zuh... Now if it were spelt "Freiza", then it would be frahy-zuh. There are exceptions, but mostly in pluralized forms of short, single-syllable words (such as "fry" to "fries"), but that's a case of "y" becoming "i" and adding "es" to pluralize, and not a case of "ie" being pronounced ahy (that ahy sound is just from the "i" all by itself).

So, Funimation's spelling is correct pronunciation-wise, however it is not correct as a pun on "freezer". Most likely, the spelling is most likely not Funimation's fault. I believe they saw it written that way in the terribly translated scrips they received (Hey, look! An example of an exception on the "ei" rule!) from Toei. Looking at the copyright information they submitted to the Copyright Database, I can tell that Toei is probably to blame for "Master Roshi", "Tien Shinhan", "Kami", "Shenron", "Krillin", and the "Nimbus Cloud" (which FUNi changed slightly). Oddly, though, Toei at least had Kaio's name right, and Funimation went and changed it.
I know you're trying to be consistent linguistically, but English is a weird language, with a million exceptions. If Freeza was written "Freeza" and still pronounced the same as Freeza, it would still be pronounced right because that's how we roll.

I don't see anything wrong with not translating Kami. It's a proper noun. Yeah, I know it's the word for god, but I don't think they did anything wrong.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:It is the second episode he appears in.
Yeah, but he had been mentioned by name for MANY episodes before that. "Season Two" begins with edited/dubbed episode 27, and you start hearing about him pretty early on. Thus my comment about the folks doing the closed captioning always writing it as "Freeza" up until the point FUNimation tossed a different spelling in the title card.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 21, 2014 3:58 pm

My guess is the closed caption people wrote what they heard.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 21, 2014 3:59 pm

ABED wrote:My guess is the closed caption people wrote what they heard.
Yes, that's been my whole point this entire time (I guess it wasn't clear...?). If you hear the name, there's absolutely nothing that would make you think, "Hey, I should stick the letter 'i' in there somewhere!"