Bootleg DVD thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Bootleg DVD thread

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:40 pm

I thought it would be good to make a general thread to show people the various bootlegs of DB/Z/GT and Kai and even advise them what too look out for (as Kei has shown on another thread, even the orange bricks have bootlegs). This is not to promote bootlegs, rather the opposite.

I picked this up a while ago.

This DVD set features all the Movies and Specials to the Dragon Ball franchise (minus the GT special and newer ones). Sounds good right? Well, probably not as good as you think.

Disk one contains 13 movies in random order (the box's order is not even correct) pressed on a duel layer DVD.
After a warning scroll you are then taken too a menu option, where the music sounds familiar but I can't place it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6pcUUH ... e=youtu.be

You can also choose between Japanese, Chinese, or English (with replacement score audio) or Chinese and English subtitles.
Doesn't sound too bad. However, the Chinese audio does not work half the time and the English subtitles are actually dubtitles

Now, once you have your preference you can choose your movie:
If you don't know Chinese, you're going to have to guess because, as stated before, the back package listing is wrong :lol:

Now, the main menu is a little reminiscent or the Dragon Box so there might be small chance that is set is a Dragon Box bootleg! Well, not exactly. In fact, most of the movies on this set are taken directly from FUNimations single DVDs and compressed to fit on one disk. Here are some screen shots (oh and Dead Zone is the 2nd english dub)

Now, as you may have noticed, not all the movies have been represented. That is because the remainder of the movies on Disc One and on Disc Two are sourced from the Dragon Box! Now, while that may seem tempting, keep the quality in mind. They also do not feature the English or Chinese dub.

Here is a real shot from Dragon Box the Movies
And here is the same shot on this bootleg set
Not bad, but not great and you're really missing the great quality of the Dragon Box Movies

Here are some other shots of Bootleg Dragon Box movies

While the set might be passable do remember that you might do better getting the real (less compressed singles) and avoiding these for Dragon Box substitutes because the movie packs from FUNi are much more worth it.

Do share your bootlegs!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Bootleg DVD thread

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks for the share.

Those screens look pretty awful and even though the Double Features are passable I'm skipping them due to the lack of Japanese credits and oddly enough the 13th film has inferior Japanese audio quality whereas on the Single it sounds quite good.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Sat May 24, 2014 4:53 pm

It's funny how the sticker on the front of the box says "buy original".......

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sat May 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi I have the same DVD as you except it's an older one I got back in November last year.
The menu's seem to be the same, the quality too.

Have you seen the subs? On movie 13 the subs use the chinese names (Sun Wukong, saiya superman ect.)

Also here's a BoG bootleg!
The back cover uses dub names (Frieza and Bills) yet the subs use Freeza and Beerus.... Logic :clap:
Last edited by thomas1up on Sat May 24, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:43 pm

thomas1up wrote:Hi I have the same DVD as you except it's an older one I got back in November last year.

Have you seen the subs? On movie 13 the subs use the chinese names (Sun Wukong, saiya superman ect.)
Your right! The Dragon Box movies must use translated Chinese subtitles :clap: Nice find :D

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sat May 24, 2014 5:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
thomas1up wrote:Hi I have the same DVD as you except it's an older one I got back in November last year.

Your right! The Dragon Box movies must use translated Chinese subtitles :clap: Nice find :D
Added another bootleg to post :D
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Pretty awesome! :D Hows the quality of that?

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sat May 24, 2014 6:14 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Pretty awesome! :D Hows the quality of that?
Pretty good actually! I was expecting some bad quality but it was pretty nice!

I'll send some screencaps later!
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Soooo.... why buy these? :problem:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sat May 24, 2014 7:24 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Soooo.... why buy these? :problem:
Personal interest? Some of these bootlegs have some interesting material or some funny bad-subs.
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 25, 2014 3:39 am

(oh and Dead Zone is the 2nd english dub)
The "Ocean" Dub or the FUNimation dub?
thomas1up wrote:Personal interest? Some of these bootlegs have some interesting material or some funny bad-subs.
For this.

A while ago there was an auction for the collection of the Speedy Dub VCDs on eBay and planned to go for it but the final price ended up being £30 so decided not to. Too much for what its worth, imo.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:42 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
(oh and Dead Zone is the 2nd english dub)
The "Ocean" Dub or the FUNimation dub?
FUNimation dub :D

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun May 25, 2014 8:44 am

Ok so as promised here's some screen caps from the BoG bootleg.

Here's the main menu, the bg music is FLOW's rendition of CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA.

Setup has 3 options for subs, Chinese, English and Malay.

And here's some screens from the movie itself, including the subs.

http://imgur.com/a/zsEko

Also for the curious the DVD is 3.48GB.
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:06 pm

Surprising quality! The subtitles are interesting as use God of Dragons...but then use Kirllin lol

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun May 25, 2014 12:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Surprising quality! The subtitles are interesting as use God of Dragons...but then use Kirllin lol
I forgot to point out at the begging it uses "Uis" but then near the end it suddenly switches to "Whis" Pretty inconsistent
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 25, 2014 1:23 pm

Here's a bootleg release of Dragon Ball Z & Dragon Ball GT (DBGT seems to be the legit Singles) that's on eBay currently:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

The guy's charging £99 ($166) for it and I messaged him that what he had up on eBay was a bootleg, in case he didn't know, and the reply he sent wasn't very pleasant. He could've at least acknowledge that they're bootleg DVDs but no, not even that.
oh really, then why even bother writing up all that bullwhip! hahaaa, genuine dvds
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

thefatman13
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefatman13 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:53 pm

Pretty sure that link is going to get removed when a mod sees it. Those sets are really common but people charge more for them then it costs to just buy the singles they are ripped from. If I see people selling them I usually tell them they are bootlegs and get the same reply you did.

I have two of the Dragon ball ones.I really want the set just because I think they look cool. To be honest if they held all the funi single discs I would buy them just to replaces the cases.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Is all of those DBZ movies were put on one disc? Good lord, I would imagine it would look awful.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun May 25, 2014 3:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Is all of those DBZ movies were put on one disc? Good lord, I would imagine it would look awful.
Dunno about his but mine was split across 2 discs.

And yes it does look awful.
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sun May 25, 2014 5:38 pm

I've got a few bootlegs (didnt know at the time) from many years ago but they've long been replaced by official DVD's. Had a 4 disc movie boxset with contained the first 6 movies in English and the last 7 in Japanese with subs. The quality was pretty meh but it did the job at the time.

I can't find a fixture of the set online but they were all over eBay like 10 years ago.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3