Why did Toriyama chose Chichi to be Son's wife?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why did Toriyama chose Chichi to be Son's wife?

Post by sonikku956 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Who do you prefer: Bulma or Chi-Chi?
Toriyama:
To be honest, I’m really not fond of Chi-Chi as a character. (laughs) In the middle of the comic, I started to think, “I don’t want to draw her anymore,” and, sort of as a way of spiting myself, I decided, “you’ll have to draw her if she gets married to Goku, so marry them off!” So, I drew her as a kind of punishment. (laughs)
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... nakatsuru/
Well, that explains why Chichi stopped fighting instantly after Goku vs. Piccolo Jr...

Aww man.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:52 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Yes and no. I guess that fans do seem ignorant of the facts and are quick to place the "Goku is a bad father" accusation, but I think it had more to do with the fact that Piccolo showed greater concern for Gohan while Goku's dumbass was too bounded by his stupid 'warrior's pride' even for his only son. And no, Gohan wasn't a last resort generally speaking. Suck up his pride, eat a senzu, and have everyone jump Cell as Trunks said. It's that simple.
That sounds just as ignorant as what the other side of the fanbase says, you're judging Goku by our standards of what a father does. Goku isnt a human and Sayians aren't raised to prioritize family values and childhood psychological development.Goku himself never had a conventional parent and Grandpa Gohan died when he was a toddler. It shouldnt be expected that Goku should just automatically conform to what we assert true fatherhood if he doesn't know or share that as a moral belief. Goku is a primitive, instinctual, simple man that only understands, food and happiness as his ideals. If Gohan has at least that, hes considered raised right to him. Vegeta is no different, who grew up with a father but yet was taught not to be attached to anyone but himself and his own being. As far as we know the women on Vegeta could be the caregivers as he asserts it all Bulma's job. He only passed on his strong genes into Trunks. Vegeta only started to care after it was accepted that it was right to do so, much much later into the series as Goku.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Suck up his pride, eat a senzu, and have everyone jump Cell as Trunks said. It's that simple.
And all get killed for no reason, get in Gohans way, be direct targets for Cell or provoke Cell into just blowing up the planet breaching their deal. Yeah, its that simple. Its the same on going reason why they never do that.
MediaFanGirl93 wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:Have to say it was a nice change-up that he was with Chi-Chi rather than Bulma. Usually the male and female leads of a manga/anime series if they're not siblings tend to end up together at the end. That Toriyama didn't go that route is a nice change-up.
This makes sense, but I remember A fan mentioning that Toriyama regrets putting Goku and Chi-Chi together.
I think people hold way too much prejudice in Chi Chi. They just hate her because she apparently got in the way of our "badass" and "ruined our character" who cares about her being his mother.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Naughty Kinto Un wrote: Besides, in my head-canon, Suno grew up to prefer women. She thought herself the only lesbian in Jingle Village until she met Ice, the local ice sculptor. They had an on-and-off relationship for many years, until at last Ice surprised Suno on their 10th anniversary with a giant, gorgeous ice sculpture ornamented in ice roses and of the words: "Will You Marry Me?"

Suno, shedding a (wo)manly shonen tear, scrawled in the snow, with her boot toe, the response: "Yes."

#8 was the Justice of the Peace.
An interesting story.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:01 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: I think people hold way too much prejudice in Chi Chi. They just hate her because she apparently got in the way of our "badass" and "ruined our character" who cares about her being his mother.
It's more of them having high standards of her. People think that because she's Goku's wife, she has to be sweeter than she really is, so of course some fans would get upset when she fucks up. Me, I never had a problem with Chi-Chi being protective of Gohan. I found some of it humorous.
Last edited by MediaFanGirl93 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:08 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: That sounds just as ignorant as what the other side of the fanbase says, you're judging Goku by our standards of what a father does. Goku isnt a human and Sayians aren't raised to prioritize family values and childhood psychological development.Goku himself never had a conventional parent and Grandpa Gohan died when he was a toddler. It shouldnt be expected that Goku should just automatically conform to what we assert true fatherhood if he doesn't know or share that as a moral belief. Goku is a primitive, instinctual, simple man that only understands, food and happiness as his ideals. If Gohan has at least that, hes considered raised right to him. Vegeta is no different, who grew up with a father but yet was taught not to be attached to anyone but himself and his own being. As far as we know the women on Vegeta could be the caregivers as he asserts it all Bulma's job. He only passed on his strong genes into Trunks. Vegeta only started to care after it was accepted that it was right to do so, much much later into the series as Goku.
The Saiyans didn't raise Goku, Gohan did. Gohan did not die when Goku was a toddler; he apparently had long enough to teach him martial arts, how to behave around women, and to forge a bond with Goku.

I pretty much agree with the rest, though.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:27 am

ABED wrote:If that's how Toriyama wrote it, fine, but how many four year olds like to study, much less want to make that their occupation? At that age, I'm not buying it, this seems like something Chichi wanted, and Gohan grew to accept.

I just want to comment, last week I meet a 5 year old boy who's life dream is being a... Chess Teacher. I'm not kidding. This is a thing. Unusual, but it happens.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:56 am

Chess is a game, which is a lot more fun than being a professional scholar. I'm guessing a pro scholar is a lot like a tenured professor - they occasionally teach but do a lot of research and write papers that no one other than academics read.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 pm

ABED wrote:Chess is a game, which is a lot more fun than being a professional scholar. I'm guessing a pro scholar is a lot like a tenured professor - they occasionally teach but do a lot of research and write papers that no one other than academics read.
Some people find research and writing papers fun. Your definition of fun doesn't apply to everyone. I find being scholar (I'm in Avid) better than chess

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:44 pm

I always thought this "Goku is no good parent or the type to be a parent" is weird, even if it is said by the author. There are millions of people in our world that are worse parents and from what is shown in Dragon Ball, Goku very well cares about his family. He is just different. Just because Piccolo "trains Gohan to be manly" he is not automatically a better father-figure. I do see what people see in Piccolo but the story also shows enough about Goku and I think when Akira Toriyama said that he did not really think about everything he and the anime staff have shown with Goku as a character since he is a good father and the perfect father that knows and answer for every topic in life of his child and how to raise it for every situation is something that will never exist. Goku is very much interested in his own life but he also appreciates his family and friends and shows that and that is alsom something your children need to feel: Your love for them. In fact this is just another thing where I love the fillers with Goku and Gohan getting more detail such as "when I'm done we'll go fishing again" and all.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Who finds research papers fun? I've never met a single person that enjoys writing them. Yes, there are plenty of people that enjoy writing, but even academics that I know don't like writing stuff that technical and dry. And certainly no kid enjoys it, they can't even do it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:55 pm

ABED wrote:Who finds research papers fun?
I do.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:56 pm

I second the fun vote on research papers.

As if Kanzenshuu wasn't an indication on that, or anything.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:07 pm

ABED wrote:Who finds research papers fun? I've never met a single person that enjoys writing them. Yes, there are plenty of people that enjoy writing, but even academics that I know don't like writing stuff that technical and dry. And certainly no kid enjoys it, they can't even do it.
I have..well had(house flooded) papers on PC that me and LITTLE bro wrote together for fun. Acutally not as boring as you think. Kids can do it too.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am

I never imagined Bulma and Goku actually being a couple. Maybe Suno, but not Bulma. They just don't click in a romantic standpoint.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:15 am

I don't buy it. Writing can be enjoyable, but writing academic papers isn't fun.

And writing a "research paper" for Kanzenshuu isn't the same thing as writing a dissertation that no one other than academics will read. Notice that I didn't say just "writing". I meant doing academic research papers.

Gohan's choice to be an academic completely comes across as something pushed on him, that perhaps he later embraced.

I don't know what it was, but Suno and Goku seemed to have a much more natural chemistry. I know Goku isn't a romantic, but it just felt right.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 am

I don't know what to tell you, then. I enjoy(ed) the process itself of writing academic/research papers. I don't particularly care one way or the other if you do or don't, but if you're going to sit there and cover your ears and scream "NO NO NO" about it when someone tells you otherwise about themselves, you're clearly not someone that I'm going to want to have any other type of conversation with.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:07 am

I've talked to a lot of people, including professional writers, and none of them enjoyed writing academic papers. They obviously enjoyed writing, but academia is very dry. I'm not plugging my ears, but some of the responses (not necessarily yours) come across as contrarian. Cetra simply wrote "I do". And you wrote that you like to write for your site, which doesn't do a great job of proving your point since that's not the same as an academic article in an obscure journal. What exactly do you enjoy about writing a very uninteresting dry piece of writing that next to no one will read do you find interesting? And what do you think a child (Gohan in this instance) would like about that process enough to want to make it their career?

When someone Gohan's age thinks about what they want to do for a living they aren't thinking of it in sophisticated terms. If they want to be a doctor, they aren't thinking about the mounds of paper and scut work they have to do, they think about helping patients.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:40 am

ABED wrote:Who finds research papers fun? I've never met a single person that enjoys writing them. Yes, there are plenty of people that enjoy writing, but even academics that I know don't like writing stuff that technical and dry. And certainly no kid enjoys it, they can't even do it.
There are people who enjoy being spanked and making holes in their cheeks and other weird things and I have no idea how they can be enjoyable. Everyone is different, and yes, every kid is also different. Kids are just mini-unexperienced persons after all.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:11 am

rereboy wrote:
There are people who enjoy being spanked and making holes in their cheeks and other weird things and I have no idea how they can be enjoyable. Everyone is different, and yes, every kid is also different. Kids are just mini-unexperienced persons after all.
It's not simple lack of experience, they are mentally immature. It's not a simple matter of telling them stuff. Their cognitive functions are still developing and while I'm no expert, I highly doubt a 4 year old is able to process what an academic truly does, much less want to be one, expect for if their parents want them to.

Back to the real topic, I do find it strange that Toriyama went through with the joke and married Goku and Chichi off. I also wonder what his aversion to writing relationships is.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:56 am

Even writing more than "I do" would not convince you as you are not ready to accept that someone else has other interests and preferences than you and knowing that I do is already all in my life that is of your business.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy