Manga UK Announce DBZ Battle of Gods DVD/Bluray release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: Manga UK Announce DBZ Battle of Gods DVD/Bluray release

Post by Blade » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:33 am

A London showing would seem most sensible and likely, plus it's the democratic option in that it's probably the easiest place for everyone to get to no matter where you're from in the UK. More or less everywhere in the UK has regular transport services to London, and heck - if we know the date far in advance enough, you can get a Megabus from more or less anywhere to Victoria Coach station for £1.50. This last weekend I was in London for Monty Python, and having booked in advance, I think my total transport cost for the round trip to and from Leeds was £6.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:36 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm 24 living in London but wouldn't watch it in a theatre as they'd probably play the dub rather than a subtitled version, I ain't much of excited to see Battle of Gods which is why I'm still waiting for FUNimation to release the damn thing on Blu-ray. I honestly don't trust Manga UK to release high quality products because their ones tend to be inferior in some technical aspect or another compared to the original source they got it from.

Like for example, Sword Art Online the US Blu-rays have better picture quality than the UK BDs.

By the way, with the price of PS3s lowering it's a good way to make a Region Free Blu-ray Player out of it.
Your loss if you wanna miss out on having a blast. I never watch the english dub myself, and if I watch any dubs, I usually watch the french one. But this is about far more than just sitting alone enjoying a movie. It's a rare event together with fellow fans. Besides, the dub is supposed to be good.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:41 pm

sangofe wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm 24 living in London but wouldn't watch it in a theatre as they'd probably play the dub rather than a subtitled version, I ain't much of excited to see Battle of Gods which is why I'm still waiting for FUNimation to release the damn thing on Blu-ray. I honestly don't trust Manga UK to release high quality products because their ones tend to be inferior in some technical aspect or another compared to the original source they got it from.

Like for example, Sword Art Online the US Blu-rays have better picture quality than the UK BDs.

By the way, with the price of PS3s lowering it's a good way to make a Region Free Blu-ray Player out of it.
Your loss if you wanna miss out on having a blast. I never watch the english dub myself, and if I watch any dubs, I usually watch the french one. But this is about far more than just sitting alone enjoying a movie. It's a rare event together with fellow fans. Besides, the dub is supposed to be good.
Exactly, it's about celebrating Dragonball together, and the chance to experience a Dragonball movie as it was intended on the big screen. For me as a fan who fell in love with the show as a little kid during the boom years, it'll just be special to be able to go to a specifically Dragonball event in the UK in 2014, so many years after the franchise has fallen from the forefront of popular culture.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:51 pm

I have zero attachment to the dub whatsoever and even I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. I've addressed how I feel about this kinda attitude before though. I'm in two minds about it; on one hand, why pay money to see something you've seen before with a cast you don't care about? On the other, it's the first Dragon Ball in 17 years and it's coming to cinemas in our country. That's the kinda thing I don't think should ever be missed. Even if you just go out of curiosity!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Seeing the dates for Wolf Children gets me even more excited for a showing local to me!

I've never been to Tyneside Cinema though to be honest, but hey if it's there for a week I'd go to a few showings!

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:27 am

Manga's spoken about the theatrical release on their podcast: http://mangauk.com/post.php?p=podcast-a ... e-my-anime

In addition to the subtitled 'Scotland Loves Anime' screening, there will be an OurScreen release. OurScreen releases involve requesting which cinemas we want to screen it, and Manga aren't sure if these screenings will be subbed or dubbed. They also vaguely tease about something "exciting" that's being included on the DVD/Blu-ray release.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:19 pm

LostTimeLord wrote:Manga's spoken about the theatrical release on their podcast: http://mangauk.com/post.php?p=podcast-a ... e-my-anime

In addition to the subtitled 'Scotland Loves Anime' screening, there will be an OurScreen release. OurScreen releases involve requesting which cinemas we want to screen it, and Manga aren't sure if these screenings will be subbed or dubbed. They also vaguely tease about something "exciting" that's being included on the DVD/Blu-ray release.
Probably the additional footage (extended cut) and I'd be surprised if they included the 2008 OVA.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Oh wow! That's pretty cool!

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:32 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Out of curiosity, how old are you UK folks and roughly whereabouts are you situated? Would be cool to at least say hi or grab a drink or something if there's a bunch of us near one of the showings.

Or...I mean, we could be typically british and antisocial! :lol:
I'm 16 and I live in Northumberland, so I'm hoping the Tyneside Cinema will get a few screenings. Any Kanzenshuu members from up north like me?

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Weejus wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Out of curiosity, how old are you UK folks and roughly whereabouts are you situated? Would be cool to at least say hi or grab a drink or something if there's a bunch of us near one of the showings.

Or...I mean, we could be typically british and antisocial! :lol:
I'm 16 and I live in Northumberland, so I'm hoping the Tyneside Cinema will get a few screenings. Any Kanzenshuu members from up north like me?
Me! I'm from South Shields, but I'm holding out for a screening in Tyneside Cinema too.

Personally I'm hoping for the dub because it's the dub I haven't seen and I generally prefer it anyway. I've seen it subbed 4 times now.

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:40 pm

I wish I could go to Scotland to watch it subbed but it's too far for me and Anime conventions aren't my thing. I just hope they have a few screening in the West Midlands area. DragonBall Z is big enough in this country for it to get a release in most areas.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:24 am

As I've watched it to death in Japanese, I'm hoping there's a dubbed screening in the North of England.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:25 am

This release that's coming out in UK will it be the theatrical or extended edition? Because there's really no point in getting the shorter version of the movie when they'll release the extended version a months later.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:51 am

Manga have said on their twitter that Amazon are currently uploading the BoG listings, guess we'll find oit soon if they're gonna include the Extended cut or not.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Bullza wrote:This release that's coming out in UK will it be the theatrical or extended edition? Because there's really no point in getting the shorter version of the movie when they'll release the extended version a months later.
It's been shown here that it is the director's cut.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:09 pm

TestDemo wrote: It's been shown here that it is the director's cut.
Awesome! I'm going to assume the U.S. release will be the same. I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything from FUNi yet about the home release. I know that they were squeezing a extra few days out of the theatrical run, but I figured they would want to be first on the scene. Especially considering Manga UK usually just repackages FUNi's DB releases, as far as I know. Odd that they would announce it first. Not to mention, with Manga UK's release coming out in November, that only leaves FUNi about two months or so to get their's out if they want to be first.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Wowy!
No need to import now! (Unless it's cheaper, even then I might just buy since Manga have been awesome as of late!)

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:19 pm

http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/prod ... at=&page=1

Looks like there will be a Collector's Edition that comes with some special features. No mention of the JSAT special though. :(

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:25 pm

"Packaged along with 4 collectable art cards and a limited edition o-card."
Knew Manga we're gonna do this :D, shame there non-movie releases don't get this premium (well premium for Manga's standards) treatment.
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: No mention of the JSAT special though. :(
Maybe it'll be only exclusive to FUNi? Or Maybe Manga had to license it separately and thought not worth it.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:42 am

I don't really have any real reason to believe the Jump Special is included at all if this is the case. Am I correct in assuming that Manga UK has always mirrored Funimation's releases? Still, really cool that both are included! :D

EDIT: Also, why does big news like this always come when I'm traveling? I'm in my 5 hour wait at Amsterdam on the trip back home. I get the feeling this is becoming a trend.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."