Did you come around to liking Mr. Satan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Did you come around to liking Mr. Satan?

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:39 pm

I tried to think of a clever title, but for the sake of views and conversation, I think I will be straightforward. To the question at hand, how many had the experience of disliking the character when they first saw him, but came to love him later on? That's how I experience Mr. Satan. I hated him so much. I'm not the biggest fan of the Buu arc, but one of the great things about it is that you get to know and empathize and eventually love Mr. Satan. At least that's how it happened with me. In fact, when I rewatch the show and see him in the Cell Games, my enjoyment of the character colors my perception of him even early on, so things that annoyed me the first time now are endearing.

I had the same experience when watching The Office. Andy is so annoying when we first meet him and for the bulk of that season. However, he quickly becomes so sweet in season 4 that anytime I watch those earlier episodes, I find his formerly annoying habits to be charming quirks.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Did you come around to liking Mr. Satan?

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:42 pm

I liked him when I first saw him, actually. I mostly noted that he has a lot more personality than Pamput from the 22nd Tournament.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:46 pm

I agree with Valerius Dover As soon as I saw him I liked his character. There isn't 1 character I dislike in the Dragonball series that I can think of. :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:48 pm

It's a love/hate relationship still.

I did initially hate him in the Funi dub when I watched that portion of the anime. Not because of the dub itself, but because the anime has so many pointless cutaways to him during the Cell Game. I warmed up to him once I read the manga, where he was used better/better served his purpose.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:49 pm

I loved him from the moment I saw him, even as a kid! He's one of my favorite characters easily.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Hated that guy for a long time, until I saw the Buu Arc. Even then it took a while, but he does have morals. He played his role, even more so than other Z Warriors, *cough Chouzu's useless ass cough*.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:13 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It's a love/hate relationship still.

I did initially hate him in the Funi dub when I watched that portion of the anime. Not because of the dub itself, but because the anime has so many pointless cutaways to him during the Cell Game. I warmed up to him once I read the manga, where he was used better/better served his purpose.
Yeah that was really annoying, when I was watching S6, thank the lord for the fast forward button, dunno how I managed to sit through the cutaways in the broadcast.

As for Satan himself, I do not care for him, all I remember is disliking him when he first came up, mainly 'cuz he claimed he defeated Cell.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:16 pm

We needed more of Mr Satan :D

Would have been a crack up him learning to fly at some stage.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:23 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Hated that guy for a long time, until I saw the Buu Arc. Even then it took a while, but he does have morals. He played his role, even more so than other Z Warriors, *cough Chouzu's useless ass cough*.
Same here. I didn't like Mr. Satan the first time I saw him, or the second, or even the third. But it wasn't until his match against 18 during the Buu saga that got me really warming up to his character. Eventually after seeing him interact with Buu, I just wanted to see more of him. Once I think back on his very first appearance, he was a much needed comic relief character that the series needed after becoming so serious.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:31 pm

I liked him from the very first time I saw him and played as him in Legend of Mr. Satan in DBZ Budokai. His mannerisms, his theme music and his constant inner worrying thoughts about his next opponents made the mode so much fun.
In the Buu Arc he's even more enjoyable and his filler scenes are typically well done.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Way too much screen time.

Trying to take the Cell saga seriously was almost impossible with his repetitive comic relief every THREE MINUTES.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:55 pm

He's a fun character. I like him in the Funi dub too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:10 pm

I absolutely hated him at first. Mainly because he stole Gohan's credit for defeating Cell. However I grew to like him during the Buu arc and as it stands now, he's one of my favorite characters. I like the comedic aspect he adds to the mix, along with the importance he's serves in the story, both in the Cell and Buu arcs.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Not necessarily hate but he did bug the hell outta me initially because of how he stole credit for the defeat of Cell. I mean, I get the Z-Senshi don't particularly care about getting noticed but a shred of acknowledgement would have been nice. Instead, he pretty much shit all over their names and what's worse is that the public actually believed him. Did these people totally forget about what happened during the previous Tenkaichi Budokais and what not? However, he did grow on me over time especially during the Majin Boo Saga where he grows out of being that one-note annoyance and becomes a genuinely fun and worthwhile character.

Though I agree with others that the anime focuses on his antics WAY too much. I mean, literally every episode of the Cell Games has some cutaway to him and his mindless students/assistants.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:01 pm

To those that say they eventually warmed up to him, does that color your perception when you rewatch earlier episodes?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:08 pm

ABED wrote:To those that say they eventually warmed up to him, does that color your perception when you rewatch earlier episodes?
Yeah I'd say so. Instead of dreading his screen time, I enjoy the humor he brings. That was more when I was younger when DBZ aired on Toonami where I hated him.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:44 pm

dbgtFO wrote:I liked him from the very first time I saw him and played as him in Legend of Mr. Satan in DBZ Budokai. His mannerisms, his theme music and his constant inner worrying thoughts about his next opponents made the mode so much fun.
In the Buu Arc he's even more enjoyable and his filler scenes are typically well done.
Ditto. I think that game may have been my first introduction to DB in general actually.

As for the story itself, I always liked him. I think he's easily the best written character.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Having a sense of humor.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:13 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:Having a sense of humor.
What is this referring to?

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Not really, he had way too much screen time. He became a tad more likeable in the boo saga and I started to warm up to him a bit more in GT.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu