How would a War arc work in Dragon Ball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ImmaDeker
Banned

Re: How would a War arc work in Dragon Ball?

Post by ImmaDeker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:57 pm

It's not like you need to explain robot soldiers, though, if you're talking about "galactic organization." It's not like the robots from GT had to be based on Gero.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:13 am

Doesn't the Dragonball Online timeline mention something about a Namekian civil war at one point, caused by some kind of super evil Namekian appearing and gathering followers? I know I remember reading something like this somewhere...

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:59 am

ImmaDeker wrote:It's not like you need to explain robot soldiers, though, if you're talking about "galactic organization." It's not like the robots from GT had to be based on Gero.
True. But I just think it'd be the best way to go about it.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

SilverArmada
Beyond Newbie

Post by SilverArmada » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:18 pm

I think you could do a war in Dragonball. I have a couple of large scale conflicts planned in a fanfic I'm writing (one is a war, two are smaller in scale). The key is that the Dragonball characters can't just steamroll the enemy and become "one-man armies" otherwise the storyline is pointless. There needs to be a struggle. A couple of ways to do this: the enemy has technology to suppress and/or block the use of ki; the characters are facing an army so vast that they can't protect everyone at once; the characters must integrate into and operate as part of another military force capable of opposing the enemy on the same terms. So overall: it can be done, but it has to be done right.
Call me Silvia (can't change username, darn!) <3
FF.net .:. AO3.org .:. Nightshade Avenue (writing LJ)

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:12 pm

SilverArmada wrote:I think you could do a war in Dragonball. I have a couple of large scale conflicts planned in a fanfic I'm writing (one is a war, two are smaller in scale). The key is that the Dragonball characters can't just steamroll the enemy and become "one-man armies" otherwise the storyline is pointless. There needs to be a struggle. A couple of ways to do this: the enemy has technology to suppress and/or block the use of ki; the characters are facing an army so vast that they can't protect everyone at once; the characters must integrate into and operate as part of another military force capable of opposing the enemy on the same terms. So overall: it can be done, but it has to be done right.
That doesn't sound very Dragonball-y, though. It's done "right" in the sense of it taking care of practical plot concerns, but the emotional logic is way off.

SilverArmada
Beyond Newbie

Post by SilverArmada » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:39 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:
SilverArmada wrote:I think you could do a war in Dragonball. I have a couple of large scale conflicts planned in a fanfic I'm writing (one is a war, two are smaller in scale). The key is that the Dragonball characters can't just steamroll the enemy and become "one-man armies" otherwise the storyline is pointless. There needs to be a struggle. A couple of ways to do this: the enemy has technology to suppress and/or block the use of ki; the characters are facing an army so vast that they can't protect everyone at once; the characters must integrate into and operate as part of another military force capable of opposing the enemy on the same terms. So overall: it can be done, but it has to be done right.
That doesn't sound very Dragonball-y, though. It's done "right" in the sense of it taking care of practical plot concerns, but the emotional logic is way off.
Agreed, but a war itself isn't very Dragonball-y either. While wars are alluded to in a lot of history/backstory in DB/Z, especially concerning the Saiyans and Freeza's empire, they aren't featured in the story directly. You could have an elite force in the opposing military that features ki fighters on par with the DB characters, or one specific general/commander/whatever who is the super strong big bad that fits more with Dragonball's typical plot cycles in each arc, and use the war as a backdrop to lead up to the 'epic final showdown,' if you will.
Call me Silvia (can't change username, darn!) <3
FF.net .:. AO3.org .:. Nightshade Avenue (writing LJ)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 pm

I could see there a war between realms. Have a storyline where the Makaioshin find a way to break the barrier between the Demon and Living realms and then unleash a huge demon horde out to wipe out civilisation and take over the living realm and it's up to the Z Fighters, the Galactic Patrolmen and heroes from other heroes to fight back and save the day.

In true Shonen fashion you'd have to have a structure so at the top there'd be the Supreme Makaioshin who Goku would fight at the end, then the lesser Makaioshin who Vegeta and Gohan etc would fight and then the standout Demon War Generals who Piccolo and #18 would fight.

I think that'd be interesting as it'd expand the universe and give us new characters, races and settings.