English names

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DieHard
Banned

English names

Post by DieHard » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:44 am

Why are we forced to use japanese names in this place?it's way better to use english names that everyone can understand instead obsolete nomenclature.or why dont you force us to say Ζεύς instead of zeus too?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: English names

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:00 am

It's the original names that most know from the Japanese and the international dubs that use it (i.e, Latin Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, etc) rather than AB Groupe's & FUNimation's weird dubnames.

You can use them all if ya want, no one's stopping you.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 am

The Japanese names are obsolete if "obsolete" means "still very much in use in the year 2015."

(also not everyone watches the dub and knows all the dub names?)
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:04 am

You're not forced to use them, you're free to call them whatever you like (Except for "Hercule", that shit is like Voldemort's name around here). I use the Funimation dub names around here with the exception of Freeza because I prefer to call him that way. It's really just what you prefer to call the characters.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:21 am

I assume it's very much the filter they're talking about, making using names like 'Fr-i-eza' and 'Her-cule' a bit troublesome. That said though, while I get where you're coming from DieHard, the original names are far from obsolete. They're still very much in use today by a large amount of the fandom, and in the case of 'Freeza' v.s. 'Fr-i-eza' at least, it's still pretty obvious who someone is talking about regardless of which version they use. So it's not really a big deal either way.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:19 am

Speaking about "english names that everyone can understand" comes from an Anglocentric point of view.
Dragon Ball has millions of fans in many different countries, most of whom have watched the series in a language which isn't English, and even if English is the language of the forum, that doesn't mean that we know about the terms used in the English dub, have watched it, or even want to.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I assume it's very much the filter they're talking about, making using names like 'Fr-i-eza' and 'Her-cule' a bit troublesome. That said though, while I get where you're coming from DieHard, the original names are far from obsolete. They're still very much in use today by a large amount of the fandom, and in the case of 'Freeza' v.s. 'Fr-i-eza' at least, it's still pretty obvious who someone is talking about regardless of which version they use. So it's not really a big deal either way.
There are ways to bypass it, if such user wants to make use of those (English) dubnames.

Either using italic for one of the letters, or the Russian typeletter 'e', examples: Friеza, Hеrcule, Tiеn and what have you.

Friеza honestly sounds like "Fraiza" as even TFS also pointed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XAzDHco1w8 (1m34s)
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:51 pm

I know where the guy is coming from. The filter is a bit off putting at first, It's like one of those 'No if you're in my house then you call them by these names or get out!' kind of things. Least how I perceive it. I think for what this place is, a site and place for fans of all walks to gather and talk, we should be allowed to call the characters by the name we want, not by the names the moderators want. This is in no way a jab or anything at VegettoEX or his crew, I want that to be clear. It's just kinda how I see it.

I've pretty much adjusted to the filter but overall yeah, it was jarring at the beginning. That's my two cents on it. Thanks for reading! :D
Last edited by voltlunok on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:53 pm

Russian typeletter? I haven't heard of this before, but it'd be easier than using bold or italics. I use English names unless I'm specifically referring to the original. Although, that trick doesn't appear to have worked on Tien. Your post says Tenshinhan.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:05 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:There are ways to bypass it, if such user wants to make use of those (English) dubnames.

Either using italic for one of the letters, or the Russian typeletter 'e', examples: Friеza, Hеrcule, Tenshinhan and what have you.
Yes, but the fact that a workaround is required to use those names at all is...well, frankly, a bit of a hindrance. One that's easy enough to get used to mind you, but it just seems a little 'meh', and is something that I do hope is still planned to go out the window in the near future.
Friеza honestly sounds like "Fraiza" as even TFS also pointed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XAzDHco1w8 (1m34s)
Thing is though, I never tried pronouncing it that way even when spelling it the dub way. Granted I had the benefit of hearing it pronounced properly in the series right from the get go, but still. And let's be honest - the one letter difference was probably never going to cause someone to misunderstand what character is being talked about. It might (and probably did) lead to a lot of 'hey, why are you spelling it wrong' on both sides of the debate, but I can't imagine too many people thought two entirely different characters were being talked about. With Mr. Satan versus 'Her-cule', yes, but with Fr-i-eza versus Freeza? I just can't see it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:12 pm

There are plenty of English words that make the "ee" sound when spelled "ie." Believe, for example. I see no problem with the "ie" spelling, but it's not my site, so whatevs.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm a bit surprised that the word filter is even still around, to be honest. Nearly everyone already knows how to bypass it, it's not really enforced, and it seems to mesh more with what the early Daizenshuu EX used to be as opposed to what Kanzenshuu has become. But, hey, it's not my site, they're not my rules, and there are filter-less communities out there, so I'm shutting up.

With that said, using the original names is far easier than using the dub names (although I don't mind it if people use the names they individually prefer). This is a global community. There are many dubs. There is one original. Asking why fans don't use "the English names" is the same as asking "why can't the rest of the world all watch this one dub that I like?"
Last edited by MagicBox on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Imo everyone should be using Cachalote, Freezer, Coraçãozinho de Satã and Hercules.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:59 pm

I'll never understand why this kills people who came to this site, looked around, and supposedly read the rules before registering an account.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Quebaz wrote:Imo everyone should be using Cachalote, Freezer, Coraçãozinho de Satã and Hercules.
I actually use Freezer in all non-Kanzenshuu contexts :lol:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:26 pm

Quebaz wrote:Imo everyone should be using Cachalote, Freezer, Coraçãozinho de Satã and Hercules.
Surprised to see "Songoku" is not part of this list.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Heck let's go further! We should call Goku 'Son Wukong' from now on and Gohan 'Meal'!
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:09 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Surprised to see "Songoku" is not part of this list.
Maybe because Son Goku, two words, is perfectly valid.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:22 pm

Just Songo.
Actually nothing can nail down main character's traits like Szatan Serduszko and Komórczak.
And Neptune is actually a way more dys-friendly than East-Kaioschin/Kaiohsin/Kaion... you know who I mean. I mean I know. And 2-3 more on this forum whose native language allow them to catch it.
All hail random, messy, and totally inconsistent Polish anime localization.
Last edited by Eire on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:27 pm

I use dub names. I grew up with them, so it's weird to use the official ones, but it's all the same thing; people know who or what I'm referring to, so it's fine. If the forum auto-corrects, it's like... whatever. :)

On a side note, this is a nice community. In many other sites, TC would be unreasonably flamed for making a topic like this. lol.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super