Did anyone like the Garlic Jr. Saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Did anyone like the Garlic Jr. Saga?

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Just curious. It seemed old school Toonami loved airing that thing. I always watched it when I had the chance growing up. Thinking about it now, it had good ideas: The blackwater mist was probably the only thought out plan in DBZ that was more than just kill everyone. Goku and Vegeta was out of the way, so that was neat. Umm, Krillin's girlfriend was awesome, lol.

There was the bad of course. It's bad enough that in DBZ Movie 1, Garlic decided to open the Dead Zone, the only thing that can stop him. Why would you do it again? And of course it's because Garlic Jr is immortal and whatever, but hell Toei, you never considered Garlic Jr having a son, instead of you know, Garlic Jr escaping the Dead Zone, and then going back into the Dead Zone. Oh, and Krillin was useless, but apparently has better defenses than Piccolo because he would not die at all. I think those were my only two gripes tbh.

All in all, I like it. Rather watch it than GT's best episode. Was one of the few bummed out that TFS decided not to do an entire saga.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Did anyone like the Garlic Jr. Saga?

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:40 pm

I fucking despise the Garlic Jr arc. Mainly due the fact that I think the Dead Zone is one of the weaker DBZ movie to me. But I also hate the arc because Garlic Jr is an uniteresting villain, the fights were lackluster and plot didn't appeal at all. The only saving grace of the arc is we briefly saw Piccolo kick some ass and Gohan Krillin doing something of importance.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Yep! I like it just like anything else.

I like how the focus is more on the other characters without them waiting for Son Goku to appear and save them. That created a tenser situation in my view and the way Piccolo deceived Garlic Jr. was cool.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Can't really say i hated it or liked it. I mean i like the premise, but it's the only DBZ saga i can't remember watching growing up in the early 00s (i think i did watch it back then but i'm not certain). The only thing i remembered about it for the longest time was the footage from the saga used in the FUNi opening (eg Krillin fighting Garlic's henchmen). Last year i watched a few clips of it on Youtube and it didn't seem all that bad to be honest.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:44 pm

I like it a lot! It felt like a nice change of pace giving the B-Team stardom. I have not yet seen Dead Zone, however, so I can't comment on what that one's like. But I enjoy this arc.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:49 pm

I like it. We see the character interacting and having fun, the animation is the usual strong animation, the music selection makes great use of the scarier pieces from Kikuchi Shunsuke's catalogue, and the voice acting is quite good, too. I think the arc could have been trimmed by an episode or two, but at the same time I think the plot could have been altered to expand on Garlic Junior's past or give him a goal for after he has turned the Earthlings into demons. Give the Makyou demons a rival planet that they plan on using the Earthlings to fight in a war or something!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:54 pm

^Oh, speaking of music, did I mention some great Faulconer themes were heard in this arc? Garlic Jr. has a pretty good villain theme, and the track erroneously named "Gohan Fights Frieza" made its debut here. Also, that circus theme.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:^Oh, speaking of music, did I mention some great Faulconer themes were heard in this arc? Garlic Jr. has a pretty good villain theme, and the track erroneously named "Gohan Fights Frieza" made its debut here. Also, that circus theme.
Garlic Jr's theme is brilliant, and up there as some of the best music to come out of DBZ. Very nice, creepy ethereal theme which gave the saga an appropriately dark feel in English. The music used really helped cover up the dub's poor acting/production values for the saga.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm

It should've just been a movie imo.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:46 pm

I liked the beginning and the end. Basically, I liked all the character stuff. Once the fighting began, it became unbearably terrible, boring, and repetitive. If they only had enough story for five episodes, it should have only been five episodes. Nine was just way too much for what little they had. I can understand how the pacing on manga material can be rather slow. But they're the ones writing it. There was no excuse for it to be such an empty mess.

Also, the art direction was terrible. How did they take one of the best-looking movies and turn it into some of the worst-looking episodes? The outside of the sanctuary looked bland. The inside of the sanctuary looked drab. And the God place looked just as interesting as what took place there, ie., not at all.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:49 pm

I just noticed that both of the Seigasha episodes were directed by Yama'uchi Shigeyasu. No wonder their choreography was so good!
mysticboy wrote:It should've just been a movie imo.
That would have defeated the purpose of it buying the production staff ten weeks for the comic to get ahead of the animated series.
Gaffer Tape wrote:I liked the beginning and the end. Basically, I liked all the character stuff. Once the fighting began, it became unbearably terrible, boring, and repetitive. If they only had enough story for five episodes, it should have only been five episodes. Nine was just way too much for what little they had. I can understand how the pacing on manga material can be rather slow. But they're the ones writing it. There was no excuse for it to be such an empty mess.
That was probably a combination of a lack of time to build up a longer story or due to the lack of available drawings to increase the amount of fighting.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:52 pm

It kind of feels like a foreshadow of the Cell Arc with Krillin getting a romantic partner, Piccolo's relationship with Kami being explored, and Gohan being the main hero.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote:That was probably a combination of a lack of time to build up a longer story or due to the lack of available drawings to increase the amount of fighting.
Still no excuse. And increasing the amount of fighting was the last thing it needed. The fighting already choked the entire arc. It needed much, much less fighting. Less recycling of the same animation of Kami and Popo running and jumping to make up for the fact that they're not doing anything. Having recently watched through all of DB, I know Toei can put out decent filler stories of their own. That's what makes this crap so inexcusable. It also happens to come right after they stretched out the Freeza arc so unbearably.

Now, I'm not exactly blaming them for Freeza. They did add several filler stories to that fight. The problem was the source material. It just went on uninterrupted for so long that there was no opportunity to really break away and create original content. But I do think it proved to them that DBZ was so popular that they didn't really need to try anymore. That all they needed to do was throw in long stare downs and pointless fighting that doesn't go anywhere, and the fans will put up with it. Either that, or their insistence on putting out two movies a year spread their forces too thin to continue to put out the same level of content.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:07 pm

I actually thought it was better written from a storytelling standpoint than most of the Boo Saga and some of the Cyborg/Cell Saga, and I liked how the A-Team got to save the day without Goku's help. I also liked Kuririn's relationship as it made Kuririn getting with #18 much sweeter along with the fact that it was one of the few instances in TOEI-original material where Kuririn's character is done justice. In the movies, he's almost always made to be the butt of the joke.

One problem I noticed (other than it being based on movie that contradicts the source material) is the animation was generally cheaper than usual in the Saga.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:That was probably a combination of a lack of time to build up a longer story or due to the lack of available drawings to increase the amount of fighting.
Still no excuse. And increasing the amount of fighting was the last thing it needed. The fighting already choked the entire arc. It needed much, much less fighting. Less recycling of the same animation of Kami and Popo running and jumping to make up for the fact that they're not doing anything. Having recently watched through all of DB, I know Toei can put out decent filler stories of their own. That's what makes this crap so inexcusable. It also happens to come right after they stretched out the Freeza arc so unbearably.

Now, I'm not exactly blaming them for Freeza. They did add several filler stories to that fight. The problem was the source material. It just went on uninterrupted for so long that there was no opportunity to really break away and create original content. But I do think it proved to them that DBZ was so popular that they didn't really need to try anymore. That all they needed to do was throw in long stare downs and pointless fighting that doesn't go anywhere, and the fans will put up with it. Either that, or their insistence on putting out two movies a year spread their forces too thin to continue to put out the same level of content.
The fighting wasn't the problem, it was the lack of talent put into the fighting. If it has been nine episodes of Wakabayashi Atsushi, Nishio Tetsuya and others I doubt anyone would be complaining. :lol:

The production schedule during the Namek arc was in disarray (look no further than Episode #102 using Toei key animators, a Last House animation supervisor, and Kino Production for in-betweens), so it's no surprise these episodes took some sort of beating. Sumisawa Katsuyuki wrote all nine episodes with Garlic Junior, so the arc was probably his baby more so than anything else.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm of the opinion that no amount of flashy animation can save a weak story. Would it have helped? Definitely. But without the story keeping you invested in the fighting, it's ultimately just a bunch of pointless special effects.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 pm

The Garlic Jr saga is a chore to sit through. I find it to be dull as hell and the saga has nothing really good to offer expect for that one scene with Chi Chi going kaioken. The saga was pointless and should have never happen. I like DBZ Movie 1 but Garlic Jr really did not need his own saga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The saga was pointless and should have never happen. I like DBZ Movie 1 but Garlic Jr really did not need his own saga.
The fanbase probably would have been more alienated if they gave the saga to some crappy random new character. I'm sure the creators didn't want to make the saga, it's just they had to due to the Manga release issue. They had no choice. That's why it's considered filler, that's why the animation was relatively cheap (they essentially only used 1 or 2 backgrounds the whole saga, Kami's Lookout and Roshi's place) and that's why the whole thing seems so rushed and half-assed. I personally have no major gripes with it, i mean it's just a short little stop gap between the much larger Freeza and Cell arcs.

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:14 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
mysticboy wrote:It should've just been a movie imo.
That would have defeated the purpose of it buying the production staff ten weeks for the comic to get ahead of the animated series.
About how long did it usually take for them to make movies back then? Surely the time and production it takes to make nine episodes shouldn't be too much less or more than a high-budget 50-60 minute movie.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:24 pm

That's not what he's saying. He means that, by the end of the Freeza arc, the TV series had almost caught up with the manga. If they hadn't put out a filler arc to fill up broadcast slots for a couple of months, they would have run out of material to adapt.