Pre-Z Dragonball Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Pre-Z Dragonball Kai

Post by In Brightest Day » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:31 am

Pretty simple question. Do you guys forsee any interest in a project like Dragonball Kai at some stage? I'd love to see it personally. Totally remastered and recut versions of Tien, Krillin, Yamcha and Roshi when they were still an integral part of the story? Yes please.

- Do you see it ever happening?

- Would YOU personally want to see it?

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Re: Pre-Z Dragonball Kai

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 am

Do I see it happening? The Boo arc of Kai was supposedly produced due to international demand. I don't know as the original Dragon Ball anime is popular enough worldwide for Toei to seriously consider giving it the Kai treatment. If FUNimation releases Dragon Ball Blu-rays, and they manage to sell better than expected, Toei might possibly start to make a move if it hears calls for more Kai.

Would I want to see it? If the voice actors don't become dispassionate, and Toei cares enough to ask for and properly fund a musical score that will faithfully echo Kikuchi's style, then yes. I really like the storyline of the Piccolo Daimao arc, but the anime gets bogged down by overmuch fat (such as the Darkness and Dragon Ball hunt subplots). A well-done (relatively, at least) Kai rendition of Dragon Ball would make the series notably easier to sit through.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:31 am

I only see it happening if foreign licensors like Funimation say they want it (similar to Buu Kai), which I suppose is possible, but far less likely than anything of the Z-era. As for wanting to see it, as long as we get a new, more accurate, English dub from from Funimation, I'd love to have it. (Not that I have much in the way of issues with the current dub anyway, unlike the original DBZ dub which really needed it.)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:00 am

No thanks! Think about everything they'd censor!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:21 am

In Brightest Day wrote:
- Do you see it ever happening ?

- Would YOU personally want to see it ?
I doubt it due to it not being as popular as Z but with Toriyama returning to the franchise which a few years ago had a lesser chance of happening I'm not going to say this won't happen.

If they do it right then yes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:31 am

-I don't see this happening, honestly. Dragon Ball just isn't nearly as popular as Z even in Japan, as evidenced by the fact that they skipped it in the first place despite calling it manga accurate. The ONLY way I see this happening is the Pilaf Trio's recent comeback reviving interest in the original series.

-Do I want to see this? Hell Yeah! It'd have brand new theme songs, a brand new score from Sumitomo and a completely new English dub. Then we can finally say we have a full manga accurate version with a superb dub and an extended edition with a dub that doesn't quite hold up to today's standards, but isn't horrible. One of the primary issues with recommending Kai to newcomers is that it skips over a large portion of the series. With this, that would no longer be a problem.

Like I said, I will eat my hat with mustard the day this gets announced, though, it will be a joyous occasion if it does happen.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:44 am

The first 153 episodes are nearly perfect in execution. In terms of adapting what's on the page, it doesn't move a whole lot faster than Z, but it's just filled with more stuff. It never feels like nothing is happening and very rarely do you get a scene where there's too long of a camera pan or we hold on a character's face a couple seconds too long. I would personally have no interest in it, even with a non-embarrassing dub.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:51 pm

I would love it. Even though there is less filler than there was in Z, it's still really hard for me to sit down and watch this portion of the anime. It just seems really slow until Piccolo Daimao. I think faster pacing would do wonders.

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Post by noham-el » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:17 am

This is really popular in Europe. In France (a big event in 1980/90, with the manga paper and all), and in the rest in Europe (thanks AB!). Some Italian videos of that series have 20 000 000 views for example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7bqzyFiNY4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpizrNR5URY

So.. yeah, outside Japan, that's was really really popular back then (in the 80/90's). (Expect in America.)
Unfortunately, much less in younger, 'cuz Dragon Ball Z has much more was rebroadcast in 2000's than Dragon Ball.

----------
I want personally see that ? YES!!!!!!
But, not like Dragon Ball Z Kai. I imagine about all these censors in that series ! Imagine that sh*t in Dragon Ball, in the end it will look like a reediting from 4kids. (editing and censor every 5 minutes, on the image and in the text).

A Dragon Ball (1) Kai, okay, but not in Fuji TV.

PS: Sorry for my bad english...
"Sorry for my bad english."

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:02 pm

It'd be amazing. If only just for the new dub

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:33 pm

I doubt it would ever happen. DB isn't nearly as popular as DBZ, and they'd edit out a lot of the suggestive themes and toilet humor.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:55 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I doubt it would ever happen. DB isn't nearly as popular as DBZ, and they'd edit out a lot of the suggestive themes and toilet humor.
Why would they edit out suggestive themes and toilet humor? I haven't seen Z Kai, but have they done so there? And if so, could you provide examples? I'm curious.

"This sucks. Make more."

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:I doubt it would ever happen. DB isn't nearly as popular as DBZ, and they'd edit out a lot of the suggestive themes and toilet humor.
Why would they edit out suggestive themes and toilet humor? I haven't seen Z Kai, but have they done so there? And if so, could you provide examples? I'm curious.
They edited out Goku and Gohan's shenlongs. That's pretty tamed compared to what Dragon Ball has.

Oh and it doesn't end with nudity. They edited Piccolo's Makankosappo piercing through Goku and Raditz into bruises instead of holes (and they took out the gushing out blood), they took out Vegeta coughing out blood when Freeza kills him, and I think subdued Ginyu piercing his right chest compared to the original.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:46 pm

Maybe for the 30th anniversary of the original TV show in 2016.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:21 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:
They edited out Goku and Gohan's shenlongs. That's pretty tamed compared to what Dragon Ball has.

Oh and it doesn't end with nudity. They edited Piccolo's Makankosappo piercing through Goku and Raditz into bruises instead of holes (and they took out the gushing out blood), they took out Vegeta coughing out blood when Freeza kills him, and I think subdued Ginyu piercing his right chest compared to the original.
There's an argument to be made that removing the excessive blood in those specific cases made the scenes more accurate to the manga version, which wasn't nearly as bloody (it's been ages since I watched the Kai version of the Ginyu fight, so I'll avoid making any comparisons there). Granted, changing the hole into a burn mark was stupid, and is evidence that the primary concern there was likely censorship more-so than manga accuracy, but removing the blood actually wasn't all bad.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:51 am

I thought it was only Nicktoons/Toonzai editing Vegeta Coughing blood. Raditz still got to cough blood and all(In the Japanese version that is).
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:01 am

The coughing blood wasn't in the manga, so why should it be in the manga version of the anime? They still leave in Krillin's impalement, so clearly censorship isn't the issue. Besides, what is it about the original Dragon Ball that wouldn't be appropriate for Japanese TV anymore?

"This sucks. Make more."

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:46 am

Valerius Dover wrote:The coughing blood wasn't in the manga, so why should it be in the manga version of the anime? They still leave in Krillin's impalement, so clearly censorship isn't the issue. Besides, what is it about the original Dragon Ball that wouldn't be appropriate for Japanese TV anymore?
It was in the manga.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:08 am

Ok, I guess I was wrong about that. But still, what is it about the first series that somehow makes it unfit for airwaves?

"This sucks. Make more."

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:51 am

Honestly, i always found Kai to be badly done Frankenstein monster. With bad edits, and average music ( And Kai Buu look horrendous) i wish Toei move away from Kai, and concentrate on new projects in DB world
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015