Boo Arc in KAI is being poorly made?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarot9001
Banned

Boo Arc in KAI is being poorly made?

Post by Kakarot9001 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:36 pm

I've been watching KAI in the Boo Arc a time ago and I read some opinions about that Arc was being poorly produced

I don't know what think... I mean, I didn't like the Opening because it is a bunch of spoilers. Even though I know that rarely people in the world never watched DB it wouldn't matter at all, but I was expecting something better than that.

And about the soundtrack of course, it seems like they ripped GBA games track, man... What a crap soundtrack. Shunsuke Kikuchi is all the way better for sure!

Just compare the scene where Goku arrives in Earth for one day and all his friends greets him in DBZ and DBKAI.

DBKAI took all the emotion that was in this scene with that new trash soundtrack.

These are my reasons, there are reasons beyond for you people?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Boo Arc in KAI is being poorly made?

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Yeah, The "Final Chapters" are sadly not very well made.

To start, and this is my biggest gripe: the music - repetitive and unfitting. Then next point: story's not going as fast as it should have had. Then you have the image: such lazy "remastering" in 16:9... And at last but not least: the censoring.

The only good thing about Boo kai is that we get new accurate dubs.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:00 pm

The remaster is dreadful - 16:9 only and tinted green. Remove the green tint and the colours are still entirely off and inconsistent compared to Kai 1.0.

The editing is abysmal. They've left in excessive amounts of filler that pretty much defeats the point of Kai in the first place. That aside, their editing also butchers some the great moments from series. More recently, they cut away from Gohan walking up to Boo, to Goku in the Kaioshin realm doing very little. In the original, he walks up and says 'No, I want to kill you' and that scene ends on a fantastic note. Kai totally kills the impact of that scene, among others.

The music is not only dreadful but the placement is entirely thoughtless and overly sentimental - often ruining the intended tone of the scene.

The only positive that will come from this will be the improved English dub. Of course, fans will have to make great efforts to take that dialogue and place in against footage and music that isn't utter trash.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:02 pm

I have not watched it at all to say anything, but I will say that the scene where Goku goes SSJ3 is wayyy better than the original Japanese one due to new music. And Vegeta's sacrifice is also much better.

Like, not even a comparison, imo.

Only two scenes I've watched of the final chapters. I like what I see.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:04 pm

I personally loved the music in the Boo arc. :? I only got up to Goten and Trunks fusing then after that I couldn't find the episodes online anymore and to be honest I didn't bother searching hard for them. My interest in Kai is fading fast though. the only reason I sit and watch it on Toonami is to help give it views. I've even considered selling or trading my Kai 1-4 Blu-rays and DVDs that has the Yamamoto score on it. also I think this should be in the Kai section. :wink:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:09 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I have not watched it at all to say anything, but I will say that the scene where Goku goes SSJ3 is wayyy better than the original Japanese one due to new music. And Vegeta's sacrifice is also much better.

SSJ3 was fine though I don't agree it's better. The Battle of Gods music was a nice touch.

Vegeta's sacrifice entirely missed the tone of that scene. It turned it into a sentimental, overly heroic sap story compared the tragic, harrowing piece that was the original.

Deadtuber.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Wait, what was censored?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:13 pm

shadd21 wrote:Wait, what was censored?
No more Gotenks middle finger comes to mind. Then when Babidi's head exploded is another thing.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:32 pm

The only way this arc could be well made is if it was scrapped entirely and re-written from the ground up into something worthwhile, the green tint and meh music is nothing when the material its tied too is such trash.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:33 pm

SSJ3 was fine though I don't agree it's better.
But the original is like the same thing with less power in the scream, almost no music playing, and when it does play, it's a mysterious classic piece.

Faulconer's tune screams, "This mothafucka is ascending!" And the final chapter theme screams, "Shit is about to get REAL!" It's very chaotic, which goes well with, well, the planet shaking, tsunamis forming, and buildings collapsing. It's epic, as it should be. D:
Vegeta's sacrifice entirely missed the tone of that scene. It turned it into a sentimental, overly heroic sap story compared the tragic, harrowing piece that was the original.
I always saw it as a sentimental and heroic scene where Vegeta is atoning for the mess he's caused, so it's fitting me. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:39 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
But the original is like the same thing with less power in the scream, almost no music playing, and when it does play, it's a mysterious classic piece.
That's the point of that scene, though. At this point, the audience has no idea what a Super Saiyan 3 is. It's meant to be mysterious, ominous, unknown. We can look back on it and go, 'oh, that's cool' but the scene shouldn't be changed just because we're aware of what it is. I don't really see any difference in the scream. Only lower audio quality on the Z clip.
Faulconer's tune screams, "This mothafucka is ascending!" And the final chapter theme screams, "Shit is about to get REAL!" It's very chaotic, which goes well with, well, the planet shaking, tsunamis forming, and buildings collapsing. It's epic, as it should be. D:
Kai's music in this scene is fine. It's dark like the original and the Battle of Gods music echoes the grand unveiling from Z, also.

Vegeta's scene is entirely different. Kei put it very nicely:
kei17 wrote:
In Z, M1615 playing while Vegeta's last moment represents his painful preparation, regret, and the great tension of the scene, and the weird, yet beautiful silence after that always makes me feel his life mercilessly burning up in the explosion. It gives me chills so badly.

On the other hand, Kai is a total fail. The obtrusively "emotional" track destroys Vegeta's own feelings and it focuses only on the brave side of his decision from third person point of view. It even drowns out Krillin's moving scream. It's just... fucking WRONG.

I have nothing against the track itself. It just doesn't work here.

Deadtuber.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:23 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I have not watched it at all to say anything, but I will say that the scene where Goku goes SSJ3 is wayyy better than the original Japanese one due to new music. And Vegeta's sacrifice is also much better.

SSJ3 was fine though I don't agree it's better. The Battle of Gods music was a nice touch.

Agreed I like the original sacrifice more it made you have that feeling like damn almost wanna cry.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Waiting on the Funimation dub. Hearing the japanese voices again is fine I guess, but I'm much more interested in hearing how Funimation would improve. Still can't stand how green that shit looks though. It's awful. Haven't seen a single episode since Goku went Super Saiyan 3.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Vegeta's scene is entirely different. Kei put it very nicely:
kei17 wrote:
In Z, M1615 playing while Vegeta's last moment represents his painful preparation, regret, and the great tension of the scene, and the weird, yet beautiful silence after that always makes me feel his life mercilessly burning up in the explosion. It gives me chills so badly.

On the other hand, Kai is a total fail. The obtrusively "emotional" track destroys Vegeta's own feelings and it focuses only on the brave side of his decision from third person point of view. It even drowns out Krillin's moving scream. It's just... fucking WRONG.

I have nothing against the track itself. It just doesn't work here.
I guess I can see what the scene is trying to convey, but I just don't hear it in the music. Idk...that's just me. =P

I will say I agree that the silence at the end of the original makes that last bit more powerful though.
Agreed I like the original sacrifice more it made you have that feeling like damn almost wanna cry.
From the Youtube comments I read, the Kai version actually did make some people cry. lol.

Whereas the Funimation version made the scene inappropriately epic. "You are a fool. I'm going to crush you... and throw you into the wind!" Classic. xD

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:05 pm

Dragon Ball Kai Boo arc/2014-15/The Final Chapters/2.0 is absolute trash. Horrible editing, horrible music, horrible pacing; just a horrible "remastering" job overall.

There are multiple scene of needless filler that could have been cut but instead were left in, there were scenes that didn't need to be cut but were done so anyway, the placement of the music most of the time is inappropriate and kills the tone for certain significant scenes, then there's that God-awful green tint, the ridiculous 16:9 ratio and music itself is very hit and miss. It just reeks of laziness from Toei's end. I mean if they were gonna be that apathetic towards the handling for the Majin Boo arc for Dragon Ball Kai, then why even bother?

The only saving grace for Dragon Ball Kai's Majin Boo arc is that dub will be pretty damn good.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue May 19, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:09 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Waiting on the Funimation dub. Hearing the japanese voices again is fine I guess, but I'm much more interested in hearing how Funimation would improve. Still can't stand how green that shit looks though. It's awful. Haven't seen a single episode since Goku went Super Saiyan 3.
Can someone send me a pic about what is this green tint that everybody is saying in this thread?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:Can someone send me a pic about what is this green tint that everybody is saying in this thread?
Notice the green-tinted hair:

Also: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 27#p880304

Deadtuber.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:45 pm

It is poorly made, and there are many moments that are ruined (either because of bad music placement, or censorship) but I don't think it's a bad product for those that aren't hardcore fans of the series, since it does cut many unnecessary things, even though it's not as many as it should have, and makes the story faster.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:43 pm

I wish they had cut more fillers as they keep way too much, killing a big part of the excitement of the previous sagas that always impressed with how big a step every episode would be in the plot, while still keeping a few short filler scenes here and there for padding or character development.
That's the big problem I have with this Kai Boo arc: too many episodes, and things going to slow for Kai.

But geez, I can't believe how much Sumitomo's work is generally considered as trash. I understand complaints about poor placements, but the fact that the tracks themselves, even if well placed, are widely considered garbage amazes me.
Meaning it's the same with Battle of Gods (since we have the exact same style with the exact same mix of orchestral epicness on one side and heavy synths on the other), meaning people probably basically expect Revival of "F" to have a shitty score and would like to see this composer gone and replaced already.

I don't get it, apart from the international recap and both next episode previews that sound very video-gamy/"midi" in a bad way (like the official instrumental versions of Dragon Ball Z's openings and endings, so you have to wonder if it's not a deliberate hommage to render opening and endings that way), other tracks sound either fun and video-gamy in a good way (think mini-games in a Final Fantasy which fits the wackiness of DB in the light moments) while other are just beautiful pieces of orchestra.
His score reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy XIII-2, which had the best soundtrack of the trilogy with the mix of natural instruments and more clearly-electronic synth sounds, and was praised.

I did know that people had problems with the placements during episodes, but it's still hard for me to grasp that people actually consider Sumitomo talentless and unworthy of Dragon Ball too (even today I saw a comment stating "the guy should change his career" as he obviously has zero musical composition skills!).

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:56 pm

I dislike a lot of his tracks but most of them are fine. In fact, this week's episode featured a great deal of fantastic tracks and they were well placed.

I think it's hard for some people to separate the tragic disco tracks and horrible Faulconer-esque synthy Boo garbage with some of the very nice orchestral pieces.

I liked his work in Battle of Gods and I like some of it in Kai, but they're nowhere near the same level of quality. Kai's soundtrack sounds cheap regardless of the quality of the overall track.

I'm happy for him to continue with composing for movies. He actually has the budget to make great music and a team who aren't entirely incompetent.

Deadtuber.