Episode #0376 (15 March 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0376 (15 March 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:57 am

Episode #0376 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
72:39; 96 kbps, mono; 52.6 MB

Episode #0376! VegettoEX and LordMoonstone review "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE". With a new story taking elements from the MMORPG "Dragon Ball Online" and transporting them into a fighting game, what kind of weird monster of a game do we have here? What kind of longevity will it have, and what should we expect in the future? Tune in for some excitement over FUNimation's "Resurrection 'F'" license along with more "XENOVERSE" and "Dragon Ball Kai" news!

Referenced sites:
Tiniest of Freeza movie spoilers littered in the news discussion, but it's pretty much just all the promotional stuff we've already seen. Nothing too deep. Fair warning, though!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Re: Podcast Episode #0376 (15 March 2015)

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:59 am

Could I make a really selfish request about the format of the cast? I tend to listen through my 5.1 system at home, but as it's a mono track, I can't expand it to all of my speakers, so I'm forced to listen to it through my center speaker unless I download it and expand it to pseudo-stereo. Would it be possible to have the downloadable MP3 in 'stereo' to cater to the few us who may have this issue? I figured it wouldn't be a huge pain and, as far as I know, it wouldn't affect anyone negatively, so I thought I'd ask!

Anyway, great episode! Your thoughts on Xenoverse pretty much mirror everything I said in my own review. It's a fun game but a frustrating mix of RNG and lazy difficulty design really do let it down overall. I have to say, I really don't have a huge desire to go back for its end-game content. I just don't see the fun in trying to get lucky for hours on end to complete missions or raise the rank on other ones. I enjoyed the time I put into it, but I doubt I'll head back until all the DLC is out in its entirety.

You guys were so on-point with the recommendation part. It is so hard to sum it up without resorting to 'if you're a fan, you'll like it...maybe' or 'maybe fighting game fans will like it?'. It's a tough one. I resorted to the lazy hack way but I just can't think of a better way to address it.

Something to note - Chris Sabat has since deleted that tweet towards KaiserNeko. Doubt it means anything, really. Maybe he felt it was unprofessional or didn't want us to take it as fact with regards upcoming Freeza antics, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

With my trip to Japan looking to be more and more unlikely, I'll likely be making my way over to the US east coast to see this film. I am beyond excited.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:47 am

For what's it's worth, the YouTube version gets posted in stereo.

But yeah, not gonna make a separate MP3 to be posted. Sorry! Check your stereo/receiver options. Mine has something that automatically takes mono and pumps it out to selected or even all speakers in the surround setup.

But you probably already tried that / looked there...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:50 am

Yeah, mine has the option to take stereo and push it out to every speaker but not mono for some strange reason. Oh well, I wasn't expecting it to happen, really, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I actually didn't consider just doing it via YouTube. Well, that's an easy for solution then! Thanks.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Great stuff here! So, you're actually going to see the dubbed version before the original? Then you'll experience things the way I do for one movie! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the movie and dub when it comes out! :thumbup:

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:30 pm

I kinda disagree with LordMoonstone when he said that it`s like an RPG where both the EXP and drops are random. You always get EXP.
LordMoonstone also seemed to rag a bit too much on the game, but I agree with him on a lot of things!
However, that`s just a small complaint, great episode, as always! :D

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Episode #0376 (15 March 2015)

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Speaking as a fellow FFXIV player, I've found that I have way more patience with the grinding stuff than most of my friends do. But yeah, it gets ridiculous here.

But the thing about Xenoverse is, you have all these requirements for unlocking the ultimate finish in Parallel Quests. But it's totally random as to whether or not the quest will extend even if you do fulfil all these goals.

In FFXIV terms, if you have all the stuff to upgrade your relic to Zenith, or from Zenith to Atma, it doesn't have a chance of just not working. If you meet the requirements, you get your stuff. In Xenoverse, it's random.

I mean, imagine if you were going for an Atma, and after you got all 12, there was a chance of not getting your weapon and having to start over? That's what Xenoverse does, on a smaller scale, true, but over and over and over and over.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:18 pm

This is a late reply, but I'm very thankful for the review. I'd been interested in XenoVerse, but I realized recently that I knew next to nothing about the game. At almost 700 pages, the discussion thread is a little intimidating, so I had absolutely no idea where to jump in. For example, I still have no idea whether or not the original background music has been replaced this time around. Has it?

I really enjoyed the "Everything You Wanted To Know" post you guys made about Battle Of Z, and this review seems to be about the closest thing to that. I'll definitely pick it up once I get a PS4. Thanks again!

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:26 pm

MagicBox wrote:This is a late reply, but I'm very thankful for the review. I'd been interested in XenoVerse, but I realized recently that I knew next to nothing about the game. At almost 700 pages, the discussion thread is a little intimidating, so I had absolutely no idea where to jump in. For example, I still have no idea whether or not the original background music has been replaced this time around. Has it?

I really enjoyed the "Everything You Wanted To Know" post you guys made about Battle Of Z, and this review seems to be about the closest thing to that. I'll definitely pick it up once I get a PS4. Thanks again!
The BGM is the same in all territories! It is also NOT Kikuchu OR Yamamoto music!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:23 pm

As long as everything is the SAME in every country, I don't care who composed it. I immediately lost interest in anything after Burst Limit because I simply don't want to bother with replacement music. It's such a relief to hear that none of the music in the game has been altered. Thanks a ton!

Looks like this'll be my first console Dragon Ball game since Revenge Of King Piccolo (which was my first console Dragon Ball game since my imported PS1 titles). This'll be fun.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 am

The spawning problem after the PQs have been fixed! :D