Eduardo Garza Criticized for Keeping Son Goku on BoG

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Eduardo Garza Criticized for Keeping Son Goku on BoG

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:08 pm

Lets make something clear first. I dont like Eduardo Garza, he's arrogant, and believes no one does dubbing well as much as he and his group of friends do. Sure, he's friends with most of Mexico's best actors and actresses, but if you are someone from outside you might as well not exist. But this is the first time I support him. Lots of people have criticized him because he kept Goku's surname and in the Japanese order as well. Lots of people were giving him support but there was one guy that went "Well its true but La Madrina (The Godmother) never did it". He even went with DBZ translator Brenda Nava which had to confirm it. This is the first time I think La Madrina may have done more harm than good.(But she did lots of good anyways). I really find it sad that was a commonly known thing in the original was warped by the dub.

EDIT: He (Eduardo Garza) directed BoG and is directing Resurrection F as we speak where where he plays Krillin (Taking over from Luis Daniel Ramirez who was Krillin's voice for the Buu arc). La Madrina is Gloria Rocha, incredibly famous for being a terrific Voice Director. She definitely didnt get hype because of Nostalgia only, she did terrific jobs not only at anime but also Films and Western Animation.

It shocks me there are so little fans from Latin America here in Kanzenshuu. I got irked that Kei said Latin American fans thought their dub was superior to the original and dissed it. I think our dub its great because it respects and aderes to the original so much while making changes that work better for an international audience. I dont think its better. And I now see he was right. Latin American fans really are no better than Funimation fans.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Eduardo Garza Criticized for Keeping Son Goku on BoG

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Who is Eduardo Garza?

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Who is Eduardo Garza?
One of Krillin's VA's and the voice director for BoG.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:22 pm

We need more context to understand your post.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Yeah, this sounds interesting but I've got no idea what most of it means.

La Madrina?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:36 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:La Madrina?
La Mardina, if I remember correctly (which I may not) refers to a woman in Mexico (whose name I can't remember) who was famous for translating and adapting a lot of animes into Spanish for their Latino Spanish dubs. In the Latino Spanish dubbing industry, she's a legend. Apparently she's quite loved for her work, but I don't know if that love is based on nostalgia, skill in faithful adaptations, or both.

As for Eduardo Garza, this has pretty much been answered already, but he's one of the three voice actors who played Kuririn (although they, like our dub, also called him Krillin). He was the second actor to play the character, and as I understand it, regarded by many as the best one. He returned to the role from Kai onward. He is also the director of a number of Latino Spanish anime dubs...I believe he directed the Naruto dub, and I know for a fact that he did play Gaara in that dub.

He stood by and defended Kai dub director Irwin Daayan during the fallout that resulted from fans learning that the Latino Spanish Kai dub would feature a mostly new cast and use the Nicktoons-edited, English-dubbed version of Kai as the basis for their dub. This didn't earn him a lot of points with the fan community.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:34 pm

I dont hate him for that and I never heard anyone else doing so. I hate him because he treats actors that arent his friends, like the extremely talented Gabriel Basurto (Sesshoumaru in Inuyasha, Zoro in the GODAWFUL One Piece dub but he was one of the few highlights) and Gina Sanchez (Kikyo in Inuyasha) like garbage and the arrogance displayed by him and some of his cronies like Alondra Hidalgo (Hinata in Naruto.) like when she and him said made the Sam Character (From ICarly and Sam And Cat) and not, you know Jeanette McCurdy who actually played the character and practically made her. I never liked her before but I definitely started disliking her after that. I think voice actors that show no respect for the show they are dubbing and that think they made the show extremely arrogant and unlikeable. Even if the show is shit like ICarly

EDIT: Krillin had 4 actors. One as a kid and first quarter of Z(Rossy Aguirre, a woman so he did have 4 actors), most of Z(Eduardo Garza, the guy in question), Luis Daniel Ramirez (Buu Saga ) and as an old man in GT. (Alejandro Ilescas, Most poignantly he and Jesus Colin (Muten Roshi) did die, the first to leave this world, the scene where Krillin and Master Roshi said goodbye to Goku is so incredibly hard to watch now)
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:33 am

So... let me get this straight. He was criticized for calling him "Son Goku"?
I thought the "Son" part had always been said in the Mexican dub.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:55 am

No. Some claim that it was mentioned but only once or twice. The Dubbing team did leave out Goku's surname. I was pretty shocked when I learned that Goku had a Surname years ago, even Bulma calls him Son-kun but It never occurred to me that it was a major deviation from the original. So removed was the Son surname that a Fansubber that fansubbed the Buu Saga translated it like it was the english word Son. (The line in question was a teacher adressing Gohan, so the line turned to "Gohan,son sit over there"

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:29 pm

From what I can tell, there weren't a lot of dubs that properly utilized the "Son" part of Goku's name.

When I say "properly utilized," I mean they either didn't utilize it at all, made up some sort of weird hybrid name, like "Sangoku" for the French dub, or called him "Son-Goku"....all. The. Freaking. Time. Like the German dub. It's pretty funny that the US and the German dubs have the exact opposite problems in that regard...the FUNimation dub of DBZ never called him Son Goku, and the German dub of DBZ never called him just Goku.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:25 pm

My mistake then. So they're adding the "Son" now. Still... is it really that much of an issue?
I know how loved the Mexican dub is in Latin America, and I'm well aware of the "they changed it, now it sucks" attitude, but this sounds ridiculous.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:52 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:From what I can tell, there weren't a lot of dubs that properly utilized the "Son" part of Goku's name.

When I say "properly utilized," I mean they either didn't utilize it at all, made up some sort of weird hybrid name, like "Sangoku" for the French dub, or called him "Son-Goku"....all. The. Freaking. Time. Like the German dub. It's pretty funny that the US and the German dubs have the exact opposite problems in that regard...the FUNimation dub of DBZ never called him Son Goku, and the German dub of DBZ never called him just Goku.
It sounds better to call him Son Goku, than just Goku. I think it's due to how it's pronounced by a German speaking person.
We may not share the same language in Denmark, but we are not far off and it just doesn't sound right to say Goku without the Son.
In English it's different you draw out the Go, so it sounds longer, I guess.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:01 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:From what I can tell, there weren't a lot of dubs that properly utilized the "Son" part of Goku's name.

It sounds better to call him Son Goku, than just Goku. I think it's due to how it's pronounced by a German speaking person.
We may not share the same language in Denmark, but we are not far off and it just doesn't sound right to say Goku without the Son.
In English it's different you draw out the Go, so it sounds longer, I guess.
I'd say it's odd more so because, in casual conversation, nobody calls anybody by their first name and last name that frequently. I'm making up an example on the spot, but if somebody's name is, let's say, Mike Smith, it would sound very weird to keep calling him that over and over.

"Hey there, Mike Smith! Oh man, Mike Smith, I have something to tell you. But Mike Smith, really, what have you been up to?"

It just sounds odd. After you've been introduced to somebody and know them very well like a friend, the natural thing to do is to just call him "Mike" from that point out unless somebody asks for Mike's last name as well. As it relates to Dragon Ball, in the original version, they didn't call him Son Goku all the time...actually, I think he was called Goku far more often than he was Son Goku. So the US dub and the German dub were making the same mistake--calling him the same name all the time, regardless of what he was called in the Japanese version--they just made the mistake in opposite ways.

Ideally, I'd want the dub to call him "Goku" when that's what he was called in the original version, and "Son Goku" when that's what he was called in the original version. If I can't have that, though, I'd prefer just "Goku," because I can't get over how odd it sounds to call somebody by their first and last name every single time they're mentioned. Besides that, a lot of characters in Dragon Ball don't have surnames.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:18 pm

here is a bit of context

Gloria Rocha is the Madrina's true name, she one of the most famous latino dub directors ever, for both nostalgia and real skill, all the voices she picked are perfect for every character in every series she works in, she tends to add some things to the dub that really don't harm it and make it enjoyable for everyone, like when piccolo died he told Gohan that

"Te quiero" instead of "Don't die" like the original, Te quiero is basically one step behind "Te amo" which is the word we used for "I love you' so "Te quiero" is what you would say to a friend. While "Te amo" is for people whom you love either very dearly, or your significant other.

Also she gave a name to Doctor Gero. He is called Maki, people usually refer to him as Doctor Maki Gero, (it rolls well into our tongue since we pronounce Gero like Heh-row) however I think this was an unnecesary change, but still sounds good in our tongues I guess.

her directing was spot on most of the time, there are a lot of hideous dub mistakes though especially in early DB, but I guess that's about the translator more than the direction.

About Eduardo Garza, he's the second and current krillin voice actor, he's also a dub director, but He's not really nowhere near as great as La Madrina, he lets slip past some pretty awful stuff which is bad considering the age we live in, for example in BoG, which he directed, King Kai told goku he "Transformed" ... and Goku only changed his sweatsuit into his normal clothes... but he's decent most of the time. However that's my only gripes, I don't think he treats other voice actors bad, he actually had a youtube series where he randomly picked Voice actors and to have a chat and tell some stories. he seemed to genuinly like everyone and everyone liked him, could anyone give some context where he has treated bad other talents?.

Anyways, yeah, Garza made some changes in BoG that are genuinly good for fans of the original japanese.

He started using "Son Goku" and "Kaioshin"

Before that we never had Goku's surname, and we called Kaioshins, "Supremo Kaio-sama". So those were welcome additions, but some people didn't like them at all.
Last edited by Black_Liger on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Krillin had 4 actors. One as a kid and first quarter of Z(Rossy Aguirre, a woman so he did have 4 actors), most of Z(Eduardo Garza, the guy in question), Luis Daniel Ramirez (Buu Saga ) and as an old man in GT. (Alejandro Ilescas, Most poignantly he and Jesus Colin (Muten Roshi) did die, the first to leave this world, the scene where Krillin and Master Roshi said goodbye to Goku is so incredibly hard to watch now)
Wow, as somebody from US I've never heard this perspective before I want to watch that scene with subs now, just to get that feeling. That's something that I only experience in music, this is an interesting thread.
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

Monkey King Vegeta

Post by Monkey King Vegeta » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Let me get this straight.... He's being critiziced for keeping the "Son" in Goku?

Well thats lame, I know the Latin-American people worship Dragon Ball a bit more than Z, so they would hold onto the DB refremces.

I have a friend who felt Z was shit because it trashed the original Z fighters... but never heard a complain regarding their names, apart from the Bills-Beerus here in the states.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Monkey King Vegeta wrote:Let me get this straight.... He's being critiziced for keeping the "Son" in Goku?

Well thats lame, I know the Latin-American people worship Dragon Ball a bit more than Z, so they would hold onto the DB refremces.

I have a friend who felt Z was shit because it trashed the original Z fighters... but never heard a complain regarding their names, apart from the Bills-Beerus here in the states.
Well it depends on which part of Latin America, here in Ecuador most people like dbz better since it's been on air for YEARS, they have tried to take it off it's slot but everytime there has been an uproar, especially when they wanted to replace it with a reality show, there uproar was so big, that the channel made a poll for which show should take the slot, dbz won by a large margin, by now, it's the longest anime broadcast in ecuador's history along with Doraemon. Even the president wanted to change the overall tv schedule, but the simpsons and dbz are so big here that the most they could do is change them to another channel because people can't not take it if they are removed. I've gone to lots of restaurants which usually show either dbz or the simpsons.

And yes, that happened this year (the president thing was years ago)
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Monkey King Vegeta wrote:Let me get this straight.... He's being critiziced for keeping the "Son" in Goku?

Goku is always called Son Goku even in DB. I mean its even pronounced directly in the Japanese Version all the time. Funimation and La Madrina did alter the scripts to remove almost all references to the Son Family name. I love la Madrina.I even stood by her decision to censor some of the early DB episodes (DBZ onwards is fully uncensored) but I never thought Latin American fans could be guilty of being Dubbies. I think this is the first time I've realized that.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:51 am

As a Mexican fan I really don't see the problem with "Son Goku". That IS his name.

Even when I started watching Dragon Ball and got my first DB paraphernalia, I was aware the kanjis said -SON- GOKU. And he got that from Son Gohan.

I really don't see the problem about this. It is the correct form. I guess there will be always people too picky on any dub.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:31 pm

That's a weird thing to get criticized about.
In France, he's called both Goku or Son Goku depending on the situation, like the original.
The only thing that was not kept in the anime dub is "Son" alone (Piccolo, Ten Shin Han or Bulma will use it), but Goku or Son Goku are used just like in Japanese: interchangeably.
"Son" is there in the manga though, with characters calling him "Son Goku", "Goku" or "Son" depending on the situation.
And it's perfectly fine with all French fans, even with the dub that is meant to aim at a wide audience.
Black_Liger wrote: Gloria Rocha is the Madrina's true name, she one of the most famous latino dub directors ever, for both nostalgia and real skill, all the voices she picked are perfect for every character in every series she works in, she tends to add some things to the dub that really don't harm it and make it enjoyable for everyone, like when piccolo died he told Gohan that

"Te quiero" instead of "Don't die" like the original, Te quiero is basically one step behind "Te amo" which is the word we used for "I love you' so "Te quiero" is what you would say to a friend. While "Te amo" is for people whom you love either very dearly, or your significant other.
Well, I've learned something!
I always thought "Te quiero" directly translated as "I want you" and therefore meant - as an equivalent - "I love you" (the strongest thing you could say, likely only to your lover/love/husband/wife).
I had no idea you could casually say "Te quiero" to a friend! To me, it really meant "I love you", as in "I'm in love with you". I would have been in for a surprise if I had a friend out there who suddenly told me "Te quiero", just saying that he likes me as a friend while I would embarrassingly tell him that a love story between us couldn't happen! :lol: