Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Post by Cipher » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:11 pm

GT will continue to be Toei's first continuation of the series and easily be in continuity with the original two anime series, should you choose to view it that way.
The problem with that is there's currently no logical time-split to put GT in a separate timeline from the new BOG/FnF/DBS timeline.
There's no clear in-series explanation for the different universes that are the anime adaptations vs. the manga either. Or the movies. If you really need a way to categorize it, you could put those in-universe time divergences one tier down.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:50 am

If anything, GT was popular enough to be used in Xenoverse. And it is as big a game as the original Budokai was when it was released, perhaps even bigger. The fact of matter is, people still talk about GT, so no, the series is not going to disappear.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:48 am

It's more or less accepted by everyone as a "side story" or a spin-off/alternate timeline sort of thing. So it's already somewhat dismissed, even Toriyama mentioned something about it.

I have a feeling Toriyama will change things so much with Dragon Ball Super that it will make events of GT seem weak by comparison to what happens in Super and it's already on it's way to that just with SSJGSSJ alone. The EOZ can still make sense with Toriyama's changes because it's so brief in it's content. GT itself is already a huge contradiction to what the movies have lead up to. If you lump the movies and this series into an "anime only category" it still doesn't measure up because BOG,ROF and Super will have taken place before GT even in anime-only.

So, while you can't ever erase it from existence of course... it is pretty much disregarded at this point. It was important for it's time, in the late 90's... as the only way for Dragon Ball to continue on when Toriyama no longer wanted to be involved. But now it is not needed since Toriyama can tell us where he'd like to have taken the DB story futher had he continued the manga/story he began in the manga.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:If anything, GT was popular enough to be used in Xenoverse. And it is as big a game as the original Budokai was when it was released, perhaps even bigger. The fact of matter is, people still talk about GT, so no, the series is not going to disappear.
GT will always be a part of the series, even if it's just a side story to it. Movie characters don't make any sense either in the main manga/anime storyline but hey they're in games because they're still "cool." So SSJ4 is cool enough that it's probably always going to be in the games and what not.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:04 am

I hope they will somehow include GT. Let's say Future Trunks wants to travel in time once again and then BOOM, "shit, I've made another timeline, oh look, little Goku". Yeah, I know it sounds like something stupid, but I can always dream, right? :)

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:28 am

Dyno wrote:
garnetjester wrote:For us fans who care about canon, DBGT was never part of it anyway because it wasn't created by Toriyama.
While I do care a little about "canon", Dragon Ball GT was never part of it due to inconsistencies with Tsufuru/Tsufurujins (most likely Toriyama's version of them is not what appeared in that series), with power level (due to these new movies), Cooler's appearance, and some other minor aspects.

You know, Tarble's OVA is not a Toriyama's creation as well and it is canon to the manga/main series/main continuity/Toriyama's work.
Toriyama did write the first draft of the script though for the 08 JSAT Special:
From the start, the Jump Super Anime Tour special was promoted as being based on a story by Toriyama. In fact, the opening credits to the special credit Toriyama with the first draft, in addition to his usual credit in the openings as the creator of the original work. The actual script for the special is, however, credited as being written by Takao Koyama, the same man responsible for all of the Dragon Ball Z movie scripts. Toriyama did come up with the basis for the story, but he did not flat-out “write” the finished version. Still, this represents more involvement from Toriyama than any of the other movies had received.
source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/production/toriyama/#jsat

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:25 pm

"but he did not flat-out “write” the finished version".

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:Not really since Dragon Ball Super is a midquel, not a sequel like GT. Also the whole side story invention insures that GT will still be preserved in some form in the future.
But for all we know DBS could end up taking place after EOZ. Then for those fans who stress over "canon", what will they make of GT?
Well, those fans who stress over "canon" still think that DBZ and their favorite Broly movies are canon to manga... So whatever.
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:Not really since Dragon Ball Super is a midquel, not a sequel like GT. Also the whole side story invention insures that GT will still be preserved in some form in the future.
I still dont think the "side story' shelfing was really in any concious consideration for GT's relevance. I think Toriyama just said it to be humble to the fans who may like it even if he doesnt. I think he ignores it from his own vision but doesnt want to influence the marketing of it within the serial universe. Like when he first heard about Evolution. When really. I doubt he cares for GT anymore than he does the pre BoG movies.
At least he said that GT is a side-story of his manga. DBZ doesn't have even that.
garnetjester wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: But for all we know DBS could end up taking place after EOZ. Then for those fans who stress over "canon", what will they make of GT?
For us fans who care about canon, DBGT was never part of it anyway because it wasn't created by Toriyama. The only thing that's canon about GT is how everyone looked considering Toriyama designed the characters.
Well, that means, that for you only manga should be canon. This is simple.
Dyno wrote:
garnetjester wrote:For us fans who care about canon, DBGT was never part of it anyway because it wasn't created by Toriyama.
While I do care a little about "canon", Dragon Ball GT was never part of it due to inconsistencies with Tsufuru/Tsufurujins (most likely Toriyama's version of them is not what appeared in that series), with power level (due to these new movies), Cooler's appearance, and some other minor aspects.

You know, Tarble's OVA is not a Toriyama's creation as well and it is canon to the manga/main series/main continuity/Toriyama's work.
Inconsistencies don't make something not canon. Seriously, manga, DBZ, BoG, FnF, other movies all have those inconsistencies, but for some reason people bring it up only with GT.

Toriyama's version of story is manga. Of course nothing anime-only is his vision. Why does it even matter?

Seriously? Cooler? King Vegeta with red hair appeared in BoG, yet no one for some reasons mentions it.

Oh. And Tarble's OVA has Gregory, who is a filler character as well. It is not part of manga continuity, it is just a Toei's OVA, based on Naho Ooishi's story.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

SPRSYJN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SPRSYJN » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Ah, Bikini Bottom... a world where fish hope that news of a new television series will extinguish the credibility of an older one. Only to find themselves ironically talking about the old one more than the new one.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:57 pm

Mystic Tien wrote: Oh right, and Saint Seiya Hades OVA which followed right after original series completely ignored it and said that Camus was Hyoga's master and even shown scenes with him training Hyoga in Syberia. It is inconsistent as hell, just as or even more than DB franchise.
The Hades OVA didn't "follow right after". It was made more than a decade later by a different team of directors and writers. Yes, it was supposed to continue the original anime, but obviously the approach of the new team was different there. I don't see how it changes the effort of the original anime staff to keep track of its own continuity.
Mystic Tien wrote:Anime Goku was always different from manga Goku, and more heroic than him.
He still took all the same actions as manga Goku, none of them were changed. You still have Vegeta's big speech in Z about how Goku's true strength comes from the love of fighting, not protecting others. So, his different behavior is basically just an inconsistency.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:10 pm

Neon Z wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote: Oh right, and Saint Seiya Hades OVA which followed right after original series completely ignored it and said that Camus was Hyoga's master and even shown scenes with him training Hyoga in Syberia. It is inconsistent as hell, just as or even more than DB franchise.
The Hades OVA didn't "follow right after". It was made more than a decade later by a different team of directors and writers. Yes, it was supposed to continue the original anime, but obviously the approach of the new team was different there. I don't see how it changes the effort of the original anime staff to keep track of its own continuity. That's what I was talking about, and it's something Toei has acknowledged with both Omega and Soul of Gold.
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:Anime Goku was always different from manga Goku, and more heroic than him.
Except not really. He still took all the same actions as manga Goku, none of them were changed. You still have Vegeta's big speech in Z about how Goku's true strength comes from the love of fighting, not protecting others. So, his different behavior is basically just an inconsistency.
What I meant was that it took place in-universe right after original Saint Seiya's events, not that it was released right after original Saint Seiya, may have phrased it badly.

Did they acknowledge it with Soul of Gold? I definitely read a comment about Omega, but is there one about Soul of Gold?

Yet Goku was shown to have some heroic speeches, while he had none of that kind in manga, most noticeably one on Namek when he used Kaio-Ken x20. And in english dub he had even more of heroic speeches, most noticeable is the one on Namek when he transformed into SSJ and when he let Vegeta go away, not to fight with him again someday, but because he would change. While he took all the same actions as manga Goku, his personality was quite different.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:26 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:Did they acknowledge it with Soul of Gold? I definitely read a comment about Omega, but is there one about Soul of Gold?
Yes, Soul of Gold takes place in Asgard, a location from a filler arc of the original series, and they've already mentioned a few events from that arc, like Aldebaran's loss.
Yet Goku was shown to have some heroic speeches, while he had none of that kind in manga, most noticeably one on Namek when he used Kaio-Ken x20. And in english dub he had even more of heroic speeches, most noticeable is the one on Namek when he transformed into SSJ and when he let Vegeta go away, not to fight with him again someday, but because he would change. While he took all the same actions as manga Goku, his personality was quite different.
Now, you're mixing up the dub with the anime. The dub does change some of Goku's speeches to make him overall more heroic. The original anime has Goku acting and speaking exactly like manga Goku... until he isn't in some filler scenes. That's why it's an inconsistency.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Fri May 01, 2015 12:29 am

I really doubt GT will be forgotten, at least commercially. The fact that it's included in Xenoverse is evidence enough of that.

If Dragon Ball Super really begins to override GT from a in-universe chronological perspective, GT will just be to Super what FMA (2003) is to FMA:B (2009)... except with the merchandise still coming out.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri May 01, 2015 7:36 am

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:I really doubt GT will be forgotten, at least commercially. The fact that it's included in Xenoverse is evidence enough of that.

If Dragon Ball Super really begins to override GT from a in-universe chronological perspective, GT will just be to Super what FMA (2003) is to FMA:B (2009)... except with the merchandise still coming out.
That one is granted, GT designs are too popular. Now the question is whether Toei will simply continue to utilize them in different commercial venues even if they end up not being canon (Brolly was never really canon yet he was always heavily used in marketing) OR will they try to get some GT stuff into Super to carry over.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri May 01, 2015 8:05 am

If they go the "12 universes" route, they may add GT as one of these universes.

I don't know if they'll follow the "Multiverse" theory (in which all universes are similar to some degree), if they'll be radically different, or a mixture of both (my personal favourite) but either way, I could see GT as an alternate universe.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri May 01, 2015 9:20 am

Wouldn't it be awesome if Dragon Ball Super started with Dragon Ball GT ending?
Bills wakes up too late and wants to battle the Super Saiyan God, but it's too late and there are only few Saiyans on earth and most of them only have maximum 1/4 of saiyan blood, and is informed that the saiyan who killed Frieza has fused with the Dragon Balls.
Whis decides to use its time travel powers and goes back in time to wake up Bills and so we have BoG, RoF and Super.
This obviously creates a different timeline because it's not the 3 minutes limit ability (I think?) but a different one.

Don't know if this could work, if I made some mistake let me know.
Because at the moment I find it difficult to believe GT could be another universe if they aren't going with Multiverse way (which I thought is cool though)

OR it could be shown for a brief moment by Whis when Goku asks him: "What if Bills never woke up"? So Whis with his powers shows him what would have happened and we see some short highlights of GT.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Fri May 01, 2015 9:52 am

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:I really doubt GT will be forgotten, at least commercially. The fact that it's included in Xenoverse is evidence enough of that.

Or what Sailor Moon is to Sailor Moon Crystal. Two completely different series.
Marco Polo wrote:

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Fri May 01, 2015 9:53 am

Basaku wrote:

That one is granted, GT designs are too popular. Now the question is whether Toei will simply continue to utilize them in different commercial venues even if they end up not being canon (Brolly was never really canon yet he was always heavily used in marketing) OR will they try to get some GT stuff into Super to carry over.
This depends on who is the one to write scripts for Super's episodes. If Toriyama, then there will be two separate branches, like with Sailor Moon and Crystal. They even have different sets of merchandising. If Toei... Then Super may be a combination of GT, their movies, OVAs or whatever else with Beerus and Whis.
Marco Polo wrote:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Mystic Tien wrote: King Vegeta with red hair appeared in BoG, yet no one for some reasons mentions it.

Oh. And Tarble's OVA has Gregory, who is a filler character as well. It is not part of manga continuity, it is just a Toei's OVA, based on Naho Ooishi's story.
King Vegeta exist in the manga, Freeza references him. Toriyama also design him, so having him show up in BOG with his anime filler apparance made sense. Gregory was not in the manga version of Son Goku and His Friends Returns and Toriyama likes the manga version better over the 2008 anime version.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri May 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Everyone's thinking on this will be different, as it has not been fleshed out at all yet. We've heard that Toriyama was extremely particular about the dialog in both Battle of Gods and Revival of Freeza. I believe that his bit about Beerus mentioning the twelve universes was a brilliant master stroke of a concept. If it was intentional in this manner or not has yet to be seen, but he gave us an ambiguous explanation that could be interpreted any way that we, as fans, prefer to do so. That, an official, "in universe" line from a "canon" piece of material, coupled with his public statement saying that Dragonball GT was a grand side story, accomplished something great for the fandom. In these two acts, he validated the previous Z movies and the GT series to fans of both, yet at the same time, "cleared the road ahead", so to speak, for his official continuity of new films and the Dragonball Super series to co-exist without creating further plot holes and contradictions.

From a marketing standpoint, it doesn't discard anything that can and will be re-released in the future for continued profits. From a fanbase perspective, it doesn't alienate anyone, or splinter the greater worldwide fandom any further than it was previously. From a Toriyama point of view, it encompasses everything established thus far by him, or by Toei, into a greater overall existence with multiple parallel universes. Thus allowing him a clear a path to blaze ahead with his own story-telling without totally trashing what was previously established, nor having to be bound to it. Perhaps the creator is not as forgetful or ambivalent as he's often made out to be? :)
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Sat May 02, 2015 10:54 pm

This is getting too complex.
So now you have to study dragonball.

The series ended.
Toriyama is 60 years old.
Stop this timelame analysis
And this canon or not filter.

We kind of didn't like GT because it was for a new generation
of kids that wouldn't be allowed to see blood on cartoon.
So what do you expect of DB S ?

Seriously, try watching new anime.
So sorry guys!