Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Nope. You can still buy it at anime stores, best buy, YouTube, and you can listen to the GT rap anytime you want on YouTube.

DBGT never dies.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Talking about canon, I just remembered that the concept may not be as foreign to Toei as we may think. I recall upon Saint Seiya Omega's release,Toei wasted no time in confirming that it doesn't follow the manga continuity. Yet, for DB they tend to leave it ambiguous. Hm.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:00 pm

GT will still be made in merchandise even if Super ignores it for good. They still do merchandise for the other older DBZ movies and they are not apart of the main timeline of the show and manga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 pm

If Cooler's appearance wasn't enough to prove that GT isn't the main timeline, I hope DB Super is set ten years after Z because I'm tired of all the reaching from GT fans. I get that some people are very passionate about this stuff but at some point it starts to come off as trolling. Toriyama may have said he likes GT but he also liked Episode of Bardock. And we all see how convoluted Bardock's story has become.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 pm

NeoKING wrote:For Gundam fans, would you say this situation is similar to the U.C. where you had the original Gundam then Victory Gundam taking place much later in the timeline, but then you have series like Gundam Unicorn being released today that takes place in that same "much later" timeline?
I'd say it's closer to what happened to some non-animated works in Gundam, like Hathway's Flash or Gaia Gear, which eventually became completely incompatible with the direction taken by the animated series. Ironically, those two are actually from Tomino himself, Gundam's creator. Unicorn was meant to be added as a side-story that didn't change existing continuity, like the current DB movies which are supposed to go before the epilogue.
NeoKING wrote:Talking about canon, I just remembered that the concept may not be as foreign to Toei as we may think. I recall upon Saint Seiya Omega's release,Toei wasted no time in confirming that it doesn't follow the manga continuity. Yet, for DB they tend to leave it ambiguous. Hm.
The original Saint Seiya anime in general was much more consistent with its filler and put effort into maintaining its own continuity compared to the DB anime. When they created a filler master for Hyoga, but the manga eventually revealed a different master for him, the anime then made the actual master, "the master of my master!" when he was introduced later, rather than ignoring its own filler. Compare with how the DB anime had a creator for #8 in DB, but when Gero is introduced in DBZ that's just completely ignored. The DBZ anime did that many times, like the inconsistent depictions of the Other Word too. So, there always seemed to be a conscious effort from the Saint Seiya crew to keep a (kind of) consistent "anime continuity" separate from the manga one. I guess a large part from that might have originated from how they heavily redesigned all characters and armors in the early episodes of the anime, even eliminating several transformations of the cloths/armors to keep those designs for longer. From the start, they set out to change elements from the manga, even if they were adapting its story, while DB just wanted to adapt the manga from beginning to the ending.

The oddest part of the anime filler in Saint Seiya were probably the Steel Saints, new allies introduced in the anime, and even incorporated into several canon battles, but then they just disappear... although two decades later then Omega attempted to explain that plothole.
Necrosaber wrote:
BlackCatScott wrote:I mean, it's already been cast aside by most fans anyway and I don't mind if they want to take the series in a different direction to GT. At the end of the day, it's not to be taken too seriously. I have my GT DVD's, and I can watch them and enjoy them whenever I want. It doesn't bother me what others think of it. While I may have my nitpicks, I still enjoy the series. That won't be lost on me.
But it was cast aside on the grounds of ideas they thought were stupid and didn't like. New forms that didn't look at all what the previous ones did. "Goku Time" like people love to harp to, but when he's turned into Jesus Christ it's all good. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan which looks like ANY MS painted Super Saiyan 8 Goku picture that gets passed around Yahoo Images. the whole "Lending of Saiya power" to summon Goku's god powers happened just like that in Toyble's AF where they "lent the Saiya powers" to restore the black star dragonballs to summon Goku the dragon god.

I just think people just need to sit down and think as to why they prefer the newer movies to GT and I don't think it's unreasonable to think it is because of the Toriyama charm. It's perfectly ok to think and feel that way, but at this point I don't see the point in reacting violently to the actual content in GT, which to me, is very similar to the new movies. Problems and all
A large part of it is how those elements are handled though. While in GT you had a Goku telling people they shouldn't bother fighting and should just give their powers to him, in Battle of Gods we get a Goku who only resorts to that after everyone else has been defeated and openly talks about disliking doing that. It just seems much closer to the right tone for him.

Also, as a DB fan, Tenshinhan and Roshi beating grunts in RoF seems bigger than anything GT gave them to do.

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:00 pm

GT is not only dead and buried it's been cremated and the ashes sent into space
Linda Young 4 lyfe

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:25 pm

Necrosaber wrote:It pains me to see that GT continues to try to be drowned out over the course of time.
Especially when the problems that most people claim to have with GT are present in both the movies. Not even subtle. In fact, some of the ideas presented in the new movies are very post GT, almost AF. I'm sure the new stuff will be entertaining, but it will never substitute GT for me. I'll just lump in it with "post manga media" like with anything else.
Agreed, people have such double standards.
Necrosaber wrote:I just think people just need to sit down and think as to why they prefer the newer movies to GT and I don't think it's unreasonable to think it is because of the Toriyama charm. It's perfectly ok to think and feel that way, but at this point I don't see the point in reacting violently to the actual content in GT, which to me, is very similar to the new movies. Problems and all
Agreed, we accept that FnF was terrible plotwise, about as bad as the Super 17 arc, but the Super 17 arc actually had character development. FnF literally accomplished nothing new. BoG had its charm but 80% of it until the actual final fight was just nautical, screwing around and filler. I really can't see why people praise these movies so highly and accept the list of plotholes but with GT, its flaws are blasphemy. People even complained about GT being included in Xenoverse.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Fri May 13, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:27 pm

Games will always give GT its spotlight.

That all said, I doubt this series will even take place after EoZ, so GT will still be there.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:27 am

I hope so.

Sorry, not a big GT fan.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:35 am

I won't mind if DBZ took the Evagelion route with the series having different continuities existing. The manga and the recent material from Toriyama exist in one continuity while the anime TV series & GT and the old movies exist in their own continuity. With that we won't have to worry about having GT and the new material from Toriyama interfering with each other in the same continuity.
She/Her

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:58 am

As long as this series doesn't take place after the Uub fight, GT will never go away. And honestly, I don't want it to.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:24 am

Scott wrote:As soon as Super Saiyan God was announced, GT was nothing more than a what if story to me. Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan 4 both existing makes no sense. So for me, GT is just a what if story.
Contradictions and inconsistencies don't make something being a what-if-story. It may not make sense, but it is still there, until owners of brand say otherwise.
TheGmGoken wrote:Nope. You can still buy it at anime stores, best buy, YouTube, and you can listen to the GT rap anytime you want on YouTube.

DBGT never dies.
And this too
NeoKING wrote:Talking about canon, I just remembered that the concept may not be as foreign to Toei as we may think. I recall upon Saint Seiya Omega's release,Toei wasted no time in confirming that it doesn't follow the manga continuity. Yet, for DB they tend to leave it ambiguous. Hm.
None of Saint Seiya anime follows manga continuity, nor do Tenkai-Hen or Soul of Gold. Next Dimension is in manga continuity... because, well, it is a manga written by Kurumada.
swimtrunks wrote:If Cooler's appearance wasn't enough to prove that GT isn't the main timeline, I hope DB Super is set ten years after Z because I'm tired of all the reaching from GT fans. I get that some people are very passionate about this stuff but at some point it starts to come off as trolling. Toriyama may have said he likes GT but he also liked Episode of Bardock. And we all see how convoluted Bardock's story has become.
Well, I may go with the same logic, and say that Filler King Vegeta appears in BoG, so it isn't the main timeline. And there is no such a thing as a main timeline, all of them are equal. And timeline shown past Cell saga isn't even the original one.

Toriyama said that GT is a side-story of his manga, so if anything, GT is more "canon" than DBZ ever was, he never said that DBZ is part of his manga :D
Neon Z wrote:
The original Saint Seiya anime in general was much more consistent with its filler and put effort into maintaining its own continuity compared to the DB anime. When they created a filler master for Hyoga, but the manga eventually revealed a different master for him, the anime then made the actual master, "the master of my master!" when he was introduced later, rather than ignoring its own filler.
Oh right, and Saint Seiya Hades OVA which followed right after original series completely ignored it and said that Camus was Hyoga's master and even shown scenes with him training Hyoga in Syberia. It is inconsistent as hell, just as or even more than DB franchise.
Neon Z wrote:
The oddest part of the anime filler in Saint Seiya were probably the Steel Saints, new allies introduced in the anime, and even incorporated into several canon battles, but then they just disappear...
Not really. Chameleon June wasn't mentioned after Sanctuary Saga as well, and she is a bronze saint, the same class as Seiya and everyone else.
Neon Z wrote:
A large part of it is how those elements are handled though. While in GT you had a Goku telling people they shouldn't bother fighting and should just give their powers to him, in Battle of Gods we get a Goku who only resorts to that after everyone else has been defeated and openly talks about disliking doing that. It just seems much closer to the right tone for him.
Anime Goku was always different from manga Goku, and more heroic than him.
SSJGFrieza wrote:GT is not only dead and buried it's been cremated and the ashes sent into space
You may dislike it, but it doesn't change anything. For example there are killers in the real world, there are deaths, wars, illnesses, you may dislike them, but they still exist, they are as real as even possible, and nothing will change it. The same way with series. They are produced by the company, they are released on DVD, whatever else and acknowledged by a company itself, as well as original creator. No amount of disliking it will change it or render it as non-existent one. By this logic all other series which get remakes, new additions to franchises, spin-offs or whatever else, don't exist anymore.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:24 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Games will always give GT its spotlight.

That all said, I doubt this series will even take place after EoZ, so GT will still be there.
We don't know yet if the movie will be set after Uub or not. Being set after Buu can mean anything. At this point it's impossible to have both GT and the manga exist in the same continuity since BOG and ROF exist in the same timeline as the manga given how Toriyama was apart of those two movies stories. Goku and Vegeta still have normal SSj hair in GT and never use their god forms when they have no reason not to use them. Freeza seems weaker then he was in ROF in GT and never uses his golden form. In Hell Freeza won't need to worry about losing ki and stamina while being dead. That's why Goku was able to learn to become SSj3 in Other World since he didn't have to worry about his pushing body too far without losing ki and stamina.
She/Her

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:49 am

Neon Z wrote:
Also, as a DB fan, Tenshinhan and Roshi beating grunts in RoF seems bigger than anything GT gave them to do.
I am a DB fan, as well as Tenshinhan's fan (obvious), but I am not pleased with what Toriyama/Toei/Whoever else did with him and other people at all.

It is like Whis killing some birds. No difference.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:03 am

Well, I may go with the same logic, and say that Filler King Vegeta appears in BoG, so it isn't the main timeline. And there is no such a thing as a main timeline, all of them are equal. And timeline shown past Cell saga isn't even the original one.

Toriyama said that GT is a side-story of his manga, so if anything, GT is more "canon" than DBZ ever was, he never said that DBZ is part of his manga :D
:lolno: See^ what I mean. Trolling.

It's obvious by this point SSJ God & SSJ God SSJ have replaced magic appearing pants SSJ4.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:08 am

swimtrunks wrote:

:lolno: See^ what I mean. Trolling.

It's obvious by this point SSJ God & SSJ God SSJ have replaced magic appearing pants SSJ4.
Trolling is the fact that there are more timelines in DBZ than the one we are shown Post Cell saga or that the original timeline was the one from where Cell came from, or that King Vegeta is a filler character, who never appeared in manga, or maybe that Toriyama said that GT is a side-story of the "original Dragon Ball"? Fine, if it is like that for you.
Marco Polo wrote:

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:16 am

Mystic Tien wrote:Toriyama said
Toriyama says a lot. Are we sure he even remembers saying that?

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 am

swimtrunks wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:Toriyama said
Toriyama says a lot. Are we sure he even remembers saying that?
But he said that. And it is all that matters. We can't just magically assume what he is thinking now, and should judge everything by his words. Unless they don't make any sense of course.
Marco Polo wrote:

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:44 am

When or if Super goes past Age 789 we then will know if GT will be tossed aside.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:46 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:When or if Super goes past Age 789 we then will know if GT will be tossed aside.
Not exactly. Different timelines. And nothing is tossed anyway.
Marco Polo wrote: