Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 02, 2015 7:10 pm

Dyno wrote:Surely he can, the real question is: Will he write them into Super?
I think the real question is: Does he have any freakin idea who Towa and Miira even are?

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat May 02, 2015 7:33 pm

I'm not really interested in Towa & Mirra to be honest, though. Their plothline from Online isnt anything different from Cell's storyline.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Towa and Miira would make for an interesting sort of tie-in to DBO/Xenoverse. At the very least, it would demonstrate that Toriyama didn't completely forget about that massive timeline he was supposedly involved in.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat May 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think the real question is: Does he have any freakin idea who Towa and Miira even are?
Yes. :eh:

The real question is: Does he remember them? Well, I think he remembers them since they appear everywhere through Dragon Ball Xenoverse merch.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat May 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
I think the real question is: Does he have any freakin idea who Towa and Miira even are?
He did the character designs for them in DBO & DBXV, and supervised the stories of both DBO & DBXV. So, if he doesn't remember them, he has a very serious memory problem.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 02, 2015 8:14 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
He did the character designs for them in DBO & DBXV, and supervised the stories of both DBO & DBXV. So, if he doesn't remember them, he has a very serious memory problem.
He did? :eh:

I'd love to see a source that confirms this.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat May 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Think only DevilsCorpse can confirm for Dragon Ball Online, but there was a live interview which someone from the staff of Xenoverse said Toriyama was fully aware of its plot and even colaborated to it.

And we can't desconsider Dragon Ball Heroes merchandise, since that game is highly popular... Maybe Toriyama sees something from it once in a while out of curiosity. Mira will be marketed again in GDM2.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:21 pm

If they do something with a evil demon from Hell or the Demon World or some time god then maybe Towa and Mira can be added.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat May 02, 2015 9:30 pm

I'd love to see Arale appear again.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat May 02, 2015 9:34 pm

He did designs for Dragon Ball Online for 5+ years. We don't know exactly who he designed though. Mrs. Buu and Fu from the Taiwanese guidebook look unmistakably like Toriyama's art (maybe because no one redrew them since their portraits weren't in the game yet), but everyone else is questionable. Though I would think that if you're doing designs for 5 years, the main characters are probably on your to-do list as well.

For Xenoverse, there was a French interview that discusses the topic. I don't know what's actually said, as I don't speak French, but Google translate says he supervised the game's designs and story, giving them an okay.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat May 02, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat May 02, 2015 9:35 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:I'd love to see Arale appear again.
I would say Neko Majin as well. Would love to see this franchise expanding even more.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sun May 03, 2015 9:53 am

I do wonder what ever happened to Tao after his appearances in the filler eps. of Z.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:49 am

Man-Child wrote:I do wonder what ever happened to Tao after his appearances in the filler eps. of Z.
We haven't seen him since the 23rd Tenkachi Budokai if we go by the manga. I would imagine he was likely killed off by Buu and was probably wasn't wished back.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Mon May 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Man-Child wrote:I do wonder what ever happened to Tao after his appearances in the filler eps. of Z.
We haven't seen him since the 23rd Tenkachi Budokai if we go by the manga. I would imagine he was likely killed off by Buu and was probably wasn't wished back.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue May 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Now that you mention Tao not getting revived, why was Pilaf revived ? Pilaf was evil, comically evil, but still evil. I don't think he should have been revived with the wish to bring all of Buu's victims back to life except for the evil ones.

I suppose we could just assume that Pilaf knew the Earth was in big trouble and he made some sort of space ship and escaped for a while.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 05, 2015 7:05 pm

The wish was to revive everyone except those who are "very bad". If Vegeta, a space-faring mass murder can be revived by Porunga despite not reeeeally doing anything to truly redeem his past actions (minus the very small handful in the Buu Arc), I imagine Pilaf can be revived despite trying to be evil, but not reeeeally accomplishing anything.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 7:21 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The wish was to revive everyone except those who are "very bad". If Vegeta, a space-faring mass murder can be revived by Porunga despite not reeeeally doing anything to truly redeem his past actions (minus the very small handful in the Buu Arc), I imagine Pilaf can be revived despite trying to be evil, but not reeeeally accomplishing anything.
Exactly this. Vegeta was much more evil than Pilaf, and he was revived.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue May 05, 2015 7:31 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The wish was to revive everyone except those who are "very bad". If Vegeta, a space-faring mass murder can be revived by Porunga despite not reeeeally doing anything to truly redeem his past actions (minus the very small handful in the Buu Arc), I imagine Pilaf can be revived despite trying to be evil, but not reeeeally accomplishing anything.
But the Dragon obviously thought that Vegeta changed as a person and would never do anything evil again.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue May 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Scott wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Now that you mention Tao not getting revived, why was Pilaf revived ? Pilaf was evil, comically evil, but still evil. I don't think he should have been revived with the wish to bring all of Buu's victims back to life except for the evil ones.

I suppose we could just assume that Pilaf knew the Earth was in big trouble and he made some sort of space ship and escaped for a while.
Ha, i just realised that there is a thread about this very subject going on right now. I'll move over to that thread to continue with this debate :D

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed May 06, 2015 2:21 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
I was coming in specifically to mention Tao and Shen, having totally forgotten about that wish. Well reminded. A pity, I quite liked Tao.

Namu, Giran, Launch and Android 8 Cameos would be enjoyable. I'd actually like to see 8 meet 17 and 18 since personality wise he's fairly gentle and resembles a certain other android.

Also like many others I'd like to see what 17's up to once in a while...and I guess if they count as old characters; Chiaoutzu and Yaijirobe.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."