Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Captain Sauza » Fri May 15, 2015 2:08 pm

I'd like for Cooler to appear as one of the villains later so he'd finally be canon.
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Fri May 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Captain Sauza wrote:I'd like for Cooler to appear as one of the villains later so he'd finally be canon.
I wouldn't really mind that too much, as long as it were at the tail end of the series and it didn't make Metal Coola canon. I'm not a big fan of movie 6.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Fri May 15, 2015 10:45 pm

I'd like to see more Cell. There's four big baddies in Z, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell and Boo. So Vegeta converts over to the Z senshi and becomes the ying to Goku's yang. Freeza always gets the spotlight. Defeated? Nah, comes back as Mecha Freeza. Dead? Yeah, but he still gets a flashback in Battle of the Gods. Still dead? Nope. Comes back as a ghetto sandpaper monster and received an awfully convenient power-up. Boo? Also joins the Z senshi and becomes Mr. Satan's partner in crime. Cell...? Well, he bitched about not being seen in Battle of the Gods in a Japanese commercial and that's really it.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Fri May 15, 2015 11:36 pm

I understand the above sentiment given that all of the other main villains have had more leverage. But whilst I do love Cell as he's my favourite DBZ villain, I think that having him come back again would tarnish his impact as a character. Even though Freeza's now up there with the stronger characters, it's hard to take him seriously now and the dread that there was in the Namek Arc will never again be reciprocated IMO.

My favourite thing about the Cell Games saga was how by the end of it, SPC was leagues above everyone else besides Gohan which created a sense of hopelessness. I'm glad that he wasn't redemmed or brought back to become simple fodder (I do not acknowledge Cell's appearances in Hell and GT so no one refute my claim with those references). :wink:

Sorry to go off on a tangent, just felt the need to get that out there.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Fri May 15, 2015 11:46 pm

TJVY wrote:I understand the above sentiment given that all of the other main villains have had more leverage. But whilst I do love Cell as he's my favourite DBZ villain, I think that having him come back again would tarnish his impact as a character. Even though Freeza's now up there with the stronger characters, it's hard to take him seriously now and the dread that there was in the Namek Arc will never again be reciprocated IMO.

My favourite thing about the Cell Games saga was how by the end of it, SPC was leagues above everyone else besides Gohan which created a sense of hopelessness. I'm glad that he wasn't redemmed or brought back to become simple fodder (I do not acknowledge Cell's appearances in Hell and GT so no one refute my claim with those references). :wink:

Sorry to go off on a tangent, just felt the need to get that out there.
That's a respectable position, even if it sounds like something I'd say to rationalize my discontent for the new content. One thing I dislike about the direction of Dragon Ball is how it keeps creating branches at the expense of narrative cohesiveness. With that said, I'd really like some of the uncharted areas to take reign. Anything from an expansion of Cell's original timeline to a completely new one, seeing that last time I checked, there's a number of timelines unknown due to the poorly thought out conventions of time travel in Z.

With GT, his appearance in Hell was lackluster. They couldn't even get the physics in Hell to be consistent with how they were in Z. Not to mention the artwork for those few episodes was horrendous. There was one gem in the rough though, when Cell absorbed Goku. Arguably, wouldn't that make him, for those few seconds, one of the most powerful characters in the series?

I digress. I've always entertained the idea of a friendly Cell, and still somewhat long to see it on screen.

Edit: At the same time, Cell has another form in GT like Freeza:
It would be nice to see something added onto this.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Sat May 16, 2015 12:37 am

Sayo-chan wrote:With GT, his appearance in Hell was lackluster. They couldn't even get the physics in Hell to be consistent with how they were in Z. Not to mention the artwork for those few episodes was horrendous. There was one gem in the rough though, when Cell absorbed Goku.
Could not agree more, I remember when I was younger and the Super 17 Saga had finally been released at my video store. On the back cover was Cell and Freeza powering up, I was so excited to see the long awaited rematch between two of Goku's greatest foes only to be sorely disappointed by distorted looking animation and a lackluster battle.

So much potential gone to waste, but yes I agree. I did enjoy that moment where Cell makes use of his tail again, too bad he didn't escape from hell and absorb Super 17. :think:
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Sun May 17, 2015 11:13 am

Aside from the usual suspects (i.e. the Z Senshi and their usual assortment of allies), I've really love to see 17 again. I'd love to see him interacting with 18 and her family, and maybe an introduction to his own family? Utilizing the new information Toriyama revealed about him and his sister would be great. Anything that isn't the horrible Super 17 arc.

Also more of Tarble. And maybe Ha-chan?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:42 pm

I wouldn't want Cell to return. As in, the Future Cell Gohan defeated. However, I love the thought of a different incarnation of him being created. For example, that fetus that Krillin and Trunks killed. What if it wasn't completely killed? What if someone found remnants of it and created something new from its design? It'd be a different character altogether, only with the likeness of a major villain we've already seen.

This idea has been somewhat entertained in DBO with the creation of Cell X. I like it. Mind you, idk if this is something I'd like to see in Super, but if there were ever a Time Patrol spin-off, this Cell incarnate HAS to be the final villain. For some reason, I can imagine Cell X killing Towa and Mira similarly to...well...this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEtEeHSKk9c
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 17, 2015 7:15 pm

This just made me thinking. I would love to see Crane Hermit with Taopaipai for example or other DB characters like Pilaf in the recent movies. They were nice addition and connection to early stories!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 17, 2015 7:55 pm

MCDaveG wrote:This just made me thinking. I would love to see Crane Hermit with Taopaipai for example or other DB characters like Pilaf in the recent movies. They were nice addition and connection to early stories!
Not that he can't change his mind, but Toriyama previously said Tsuru'sennin and Tao Pai Pai are likely dead and weren't revived by the Dragon Balls due to them being really bad guys.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:59 pm

If Tao can't come back then it's possible that Boss Rabbit and his gang could have return.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:55 am

One_Instance wrote:
Captain Sauza wrote:I'd like for Cooler to appear as one of the villains later so he'd finally be canon.
I wouldn't really mind that too much, as long as it were at the tail end of the series and it didn't make Metal Coola canon. I'm not a big fan of movie 6.
I wouldn't want Metal Cooler, but I'd love to have Unicron-I mean the Big Gete Star- as a featured thing in the new series.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If Tao can't come back then it's possible that Boss Rabbit and his gang could have return.
I don't think it'll be possible for the Boss Rabbit and his gang to reappear again. They're forever stuck drifting through space.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If Tao can't come back then it's possible that Boss Rabbit and his gang could have return.
I don't think it'll be possible for the Boss Rabbit and his gang to reappear again. They're forever stuck drifting through space.
What if the series takes place in space? :O
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 18, 2015 2:11 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
What if the series takes place in space? :O
Nah. GT tried to do that and it didn't work well.

SSJ6Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ6Goku » Mon May 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Launch! We didn't see her in DBZ at all

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Mon May 18, 2015 2:26 pm

SSJ6Goku wrote:Launch! We didn't see her in DBZ at all
And there's a good reason for that.
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Vegitofaxx wrote:
What is the reason, actually?

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Mon May 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Vegitofaxx wrote:
What is the reason, actually?
First off, that Toriyama simply not wanted her in it. And the fact that she is probably one of the most boring characters in the series, with a schtick that gets really old, really fast.
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon May 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Lunch doesn't have an overly-intricate backstory or some complex character arc, but does she need to? Can't some characters just be simple? She's the definition of an auxiliary character; she is never the focus of an arc and any screentime she does get is usually for a laugh. All of her development is in text form or in a video game. Where in the story would you find yourself saying "Too much Lunch"?

Needless to say, I hope she's the first person we see.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki