Kai International Differences

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Kai International Differences

Post by ABED » Sun May 03, 2015 8:42 am

Apparently there's a difference between the Kai currently airing in Japan and the international cut. I have a number of question if anyone is willing to answer them.

- How many episodes are in both?
- Has the international version aired yet? If so, has it completed its run?
- How do the international and JPN versions align? By that I mean, do the differences in the number of episodes last until a certain point before they're in sync?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai International Differences

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:52 am

-Well the international cut has 69 episodes of the Buu arc so DB(Z) Kai has 167 episodes in total. The Japanese version has 61 episodes so DB Kai has a total of 159 episodes.
-It's currently airing in Korea and France. France is simulcasting the Buu arc so no, it hasn't completed its run. The Japanese version will end on June 28th and the French broadcast will end on the 29th.
-The Japanese version has cut 7 episodes of the Great Saiyaman arc. After that the episodes are exactly the same apart from the recap theme, opening, ending and next episode preview theme. However, it seems as though they cut another episode somewhere in the final episodes as the Japanese version ends with 61 episodes instead of 62 episodes. We don't know what has been cut out but I guess we'll find out soon.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun May 03, 2015 10:25 am

Additionally, the Japanese version has a few extra video edits not present in the International version—for example, 'Super' Boo's eyes were fixed to be consistently red instead of white in his first few episodes (a consistency edit), and Bobbidi's blood was painted purple instead of red (a censorship edit).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Sun May 03, 2015 10:34 am

Puto wrote:Additionally, the Japanese version has a few extra video edits not present in the International version—for example, 'Super' Boo's eyes were fixed to be consistently red instead of white in his first few episodes (a consistency edit), and Bobbidi's blood was painted purple instead of red (a censorship edit).
I'm still not 100% sure that was a censorship issue, because Bobbidi's blood in purple in a couple shots, but red in others, which makes me wonder if that was for consistency. Either way, the blood is definitely inconsistent in the original version.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun May 03, 2015 10:49 am

But it was completely red in Z.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Sun May 03, 2015 11:10 am

Puto wrote:But it was completely red in Z.
Just checked a quick clip online and that's not the case. The initial decapitation is red, but the following episode, where they show the blood flying around, it's purple.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun May 03, 2015 12:18 pm

Basically, if I'm reading everything correctly, the only things that are completely exclusive to the condensed Japanese broadcast version are...

- The Opening Theme / Animation: "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go"

- The Five Ending Themes / Animations: "Dear, Zarathustra" / "Pure Heart" / "Oh Yeah!!!!!!!" / "GALAXY" / "Don't Let Me Down"

- The "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go" next episode preview music.

- Various visual edits (Buu's eye color, etc.)

- Different episode titles for certain Great Saiyaman episodes, with exclusive narration from Masako Nozawa and Jōji Yanami to match.

Aside from those, the international version has everything (and more). What about the eyecatches? Are there any exclusive to the broadcast version?
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 03, 2015 12:46 pm

MagicBox wrote:- Different episode titles for certain Great Saiyaman episodes, with exclusive narration from Masako Nozawa and Jōji Yanami to match.
Nozawa does the opening narration or the ending like she usually does?

Regarding the new episode titles, are they renaming episodes or just adding new ones?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun May 03, 2015 1:16 pm

Puto wrote:Additionally, the Japanese version has a few extra video edits not present in the International version—for example, 'Super' Boo's eyes were fixed to be consistently red instead of white in his first few episodes (a consistency edit), and Bobbidi's blood was painted purple instead of red (a censorship edit).
I always thought Super Buu's eyes were supposed to change colour for dramatic effect when he fought Gotenks. It certainly seems that way when he stares at him in Z.

Also can anyone confirm which intro will get used for the Funimation dub when it gets released? I much prefer the International one aka "Fight it out" to the Japanese one. It's just so catchy and awesome sounding.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:22 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
I always thought Super Buu's eyes were supposed to change colour for dramatic effect when he fought Gotenks. It certainly seems that way when he stares at him in Z.

Also can anyone confirm which intro will get used for the Funimation dub when it gets released? I much prefer the International one aka "Fight it out" to the Japanese one. It's just so catchy and awesome sounding.
Funimation won't get the Japanese version as that version is produced exclusively for the Japanese broadcast and home release of course. Considering that the English voice actors have been dubbing it since 2013, it's certain that they have the original intended ''International'' version.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun May 03, 2015 1:23 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Also can anyone confirm which intro will get used for the Funimation dub when it gets released? I much prefer the International one aka "Fight it out" to the Japanese one. It's just so catchy and awesome sounding.
Nobody can confirm anything 100%, but all international dubs of Boo Kai have used 'Fight It Out'. It seems unlikely that FUNi would be granted anything different.

In other news, Derek Padula mentioned that he spoke to Sean Schemmel the other day, who confirmed that they have not yet finished working on Kai.

Crazy how drawn out this has all been.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:27 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Also can anyone confirm which intro will get used for the Funimation dub when it gets released? I much prefer the International one aka "Fight it out" to the Japanese one. It's just so catchy and awesome sounding.
Nobody can confirm anything 100%, but all international dubs of Boo Kai have used 'Fight It Out'. It seems unlikely that FUNi would be granted anything different.

In other news, Derek Padula mentioned that he spoke to Sean Schemmel the other day, who confirmed that they have not yet finished working on Kai.

Especially since the Buu arc is produced for the international market. With that in mind one would think that Funimation would be one of the first to release it. But I guess they didn't want to oversaturate the market since they were also releasing those DBZ blu ray season sets.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Maybe BoG and RF got in the way? I hope this does not turn into the ocean dub of Kai , where it has almost been 5 years since news began to surface, and still nothing!

Edit- With Super now announced, this is all gonna get messy. Assuming they aren't gonna do a broadcast dub, with Kai 1.0 it took them approx. one year to dub the first batch of eps, assuming a similar pattern with Super we will probably get the first batch of episodes, by August 2016. RF will most likely come out in June/July so that leaves 'em a year to release Buu arc Kai 2.0 Final Chapters.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Maybe BoG and RF got in the way? I hope this does not turn into the ocean dub of Kai , where it has almost been 5 years since news began to surface, and still nothing!
It's been confirmed more then once by the cast that they've dubbed it so I think they're just waiting for the right time to release it.

Hopefully they'll start this fall.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 03, 2015 1:54 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:

Interesting. They finished the french dub december last year.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun May 03, 2015 1:57 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:

Thanks for the update Ajay. Interesting that they're still dubbing, I wonder how much more they've still got left to do?. Sean mentioned recording the scene with Goku saying goodbye to Gohan after his Ultimate power-up this past December on Kyle Hebert's "BigBaldBroadcast".
So, it would seem he's close to finishing up his lines, with this being said, we don't know who else needs to tie up theirs.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 03, 2015 2:04 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Maybe BoG and RF got in the way? I hope this does not turn into the ocean dub of Kai , where it has almost been 5 years since news began to surface, and still nothing!
It's been confirmed more then once by the cast that they've dubbed it so I think they're just waiting for the right time to release it.

I honestly don't think we're gonna get DBZ Kai 2.0 this year. There will be way more demand from fans and the English networks for Funimation to dub Dragon Ball Super and way more demand from fans for them to release RF on Blu-Ray and DVD this year and that is going to eclipse the release of DBZ Kai 2.0 immensely. So my guess would be that Funimation would push back the release of DBZ Kai 2.0 to next year to avoid competition, because right now, RF and DBS are the hot Dragon Ball commodities now.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun May 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
sintzu wrote:

I honestly don't think we're gonna get DBZ Kai 2.0 this year. There will be way more demand from fans and the English networks for Funimation to dub Dragon Ball Super and way more demand from fans for them to release RF on Blu-Ray and DVD this year and that is going to eclipse the release of DBZ Kai 2.0 immensely. So my guess would be that Funimation would push back the release of DBZ Kai 2.0 to next year to avoid competition, because right now, RF and DBS are the hot Dragon Ball commodities now.
I would have to agree with you, as much as I want Kai, I'd rather "F" and Super be FUNi's focus for the immediate future.
Super is just way too big for them to ignore right now, though with all the hype surrounding Super, this may influence FUNi to change their strategy over how they release Kai.

If they do decide to push on and release it first, they may decide to do so with more haste, and jump straight onto the season sets, this way, they get to move onto releasing Super with no other distractions.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Super and RF are a new product, and they will almost deffo bring in more money than Kai. So, I agree season sets for Kai would be the way to go. Once every 2-3 months, we should be good to go!

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Even if there wasn't a new movie and new anime, with how long they are making us wait, they might as well release it in season sets right away.