"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:59 pm

I got to say I'm more satisfied with how the manga ended things compared to the anime. Maybe it was because I already saw it coming but I just feel like it was sorted out better here. The only downside to this arc was we never had that interaction with Gohan from episode 54 I believe. That was a touching episode and I was hoping Toyotoro would have done something similar, oh well. Both the manga and anime have there strong suits.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:22 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I've never gotten the "lack of emotion" complaint. I mean, I do agree that the manga doesn't have as much emotion as in the anime, but Dragon Ball isn't a feelsy show to begin with, and what the anime did was very un-DB in that respect. Outside of the latest chapter, which went a bit far in not having any emotion over the death of an entire multiverse, the down time in Toyotaro's rendition of this arc is more or less in-line with what one would've expected from the original manga.
The lack touchy feely stuff isn't even what's bothered me about the arc (and in that regard, it actually added some things that weren't in the anime like the VegeBul hug); it's more the lack of feeling of connection between characters. Zamasu's flimsier motivation led to barely any antagonism between Black and Gokuu, despite the fact that it was his own body that got stolen. They didn't even fight each other, which seems like a huge missed opportunity. In the anime it was a far more personal grudge, which led to brutal revelations like Black gleefully killing Gokuu's family using his own body. Meanwhile, over in the manga, Gokuu gave his standard "if you give up, I'll let you go!" spiel to Zamasu, something that I can't imagine could've ever happened in the anime after what they did (then again, he offered to let Freeza go even after he killed Kuririn, so...I don't know, lol)

Yeah, maybe these sort of personal stakes aren't always present in Dragon Ball, but I found that to be a very compelling component of this arc in the anime, and missed it when it wasn't a part of the manga adaptation.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I've never gotten the "lack of emotion" complaint. I mean, I do agree that the manga doesn't have as much emotion as in the anime, but Dragon Ball isn't a feelsy show to begin with, and what the anime did was very un-DB in that respect. Outside of the latest chapter, which went a bit far in not having any emotion over the death of an entire multiverse, the down time in Toyotaro's rendition of this arc is more or less in-line with what one would've expected from the original manga.
I think many of the complaints aren't only about emotion but about excitement. Most of the possible excitement in the manga is connect to the obligatory plot, which has already been spoiled by the anime. Even when Toyotarõ builds a cliffhanger it falls flat.

Some of criticisms the manga receives, I feel, don't see the whole picture.

That said by design the anime is built purposely to be a roller-coaster of emotions. Even without what I mentioned the manga probably wouldn't match up in terms of emotion/excitement.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:17 pm

sailorspazz wrote:The lack touchy feely stuff isn't even what's bothered me about the arc (and in that regard, it actually added some things that weren't in the anime like the VegeBul hug); it's more the lack of feeling of connection between characters. Zamasu's flimsier motivation led to barely any antagonism between Black and Gokuu, despite the fact that it was his own body that got stolen. They didn't even fight each other, which seems like a huge missed opportunity. In the anime it was a far more personal grudge, which led to brutal revelations like Black gleefully killing Gokuu's family using his own body. Meanwhile, over in the manga, Gokuu gave his standard "if you give up, I'll let you go!" spiel to Zamasu, something that I can't imagine could've ever happened in the anime after what they did (then again, he offered to let Freeza go even after he killed Kuririn, so...I don't know, lol)

Yeah, maybe these sort of personal stakes aren't always present in Dragon Ball, but I found that to be a very compelling component of this arc in the anime, and missed it when it wasn't a part of the manga adaptation.
I see, that makes perfect sense. I still wasn't a fan of the anime's rendition for other reasons, but I'm actually about halfway through rereading Toyotaro's entire FT Arc, and I can totally get the disconnect between protagonists and antagonists, and even to a large degree, a disconnect between the primary and supporting casts.

Actually, a huge problem that I've noticed so far that I didn't pick up on in serialization, Toyotaro doesn't seem to know how to use Mai. Like, at all. To the point where I'm asking myself "Why is she here again?" It makes sense, I guess, she never actually served much purpose other than a motivation for Trunks at the beginning of the story, but I liked that they made here a total badass in the TV show. Even though you knew she wasn't really doing anything, you liked her anyway, and you admired her for finally taking a stand after spending an entire lifetime in petty villainy, in mediocrity. When push came to shove, she became who she needed to be, and it was so fun to see. In the manga, she's just tagging along as Trunks' love interest, and that's it. You could've literally removed her from the entire story and lose nothing.
Retired.

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:38 am

I can't fault Toyo for missing on certain moments to give more depth to characters or to add more feelings into the manga. The anime is a whole different game with that and Toyo just doesn't seem at that point in terms of adding depth to the story in ways the anime does like someone said above about when Black told Goku about how he killed his family. Of course we don't know what fully goes on behind the scenes but for me it's moments like that the manga is missing that keeps it from going from good to great. Of course that comes with time.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:16 am

THEGOKU wrote:I can't fault Toyo for missing on certain moments to give more depth to characters or to add more feelings into the manga. The anime is a whole different game with that and Toyo just doesn't seem at that point in terms of adding depth to the story in ways the anime does like someone said above about when Black told Goku about how he killed his family. Of course we don't know what fully goes on behind the scenes but for me it's moments like that the manga is missing that keeps it from going from good to great. Of course that comes with time.
Sure, but it's always important not to obscure faults while praising successes. It genuinely is an area that, while not to the same extent as the anime, could've been emphasized more.
Retired.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:43 am

I am/was entertained by both anime and manga. Anime went the "We don't care about your feelings for power levels WE JUST DO IT" route.
The manga was more conservative with reasons trying to be a little bit more careful.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:20 am

Did Future Zeno destroy just Future Trunk' Universe 7 or the entire Multiverse, as in he wiped out the entire Timeline?

If it was the former then I'd wonder why he was still hovering around in the empty white space rather than just go back home.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:22 am

Bullza wrote:Did Future Zeno destroy just Future Trunk' Universe 7 or the entire Multiverse, as in he wiped out the entire Timeline?

If it was the former then I'd wonder why he was still hovering around in the empty white space rather than just go back home.
The time ring disappearing after Zeno does his little "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" act seems to tell us that it's the entire Timeline that gets wiped out.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:27 am

Boo Machine wrote:The time ring disappearing after Zeno does his little "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" act seems to tell us that it's the entire Timeline that gets wiped out.
The other Time Rings that were left are they other alternate timelines from Universe 7 or across all Universes?

Because Universe 7 is supposed to also have Cell's timeline and maybe another so were there Time Rings for that?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:34 am

Bullza wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:The time ring disappearing after Zeno does his little "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" act seems to tell us that it's the entire Timeline that gets wiped out.
The other Time Rings that were left are they other alternate timelines from Universe 7 or across all Universes?

Because Universe 7 is supposed to also have Cell's timeline and maybe another so were there Time Rings for that?
1. Yes of course across all universes.
2. Not any more apparently, both manga and anime imply that only one new ring was created recently(by "that idiot" Trunks). Again implying that Timelines get overwritten.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:37 am

Bullza wrote:

As far as I understand the whole Time ring thing is that every ring represents a timeline, each with it's own version of the multiverse, which of course includes Universe 7. I am unsure which timelines each ring comes from, since all those timelines go over my head. I just know that the ring Trunks timeline belongs to is the one Zeno wiped out.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Humming-bird

Post by Humming-bird » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:25 am

Well, I enjoyed the manga version, and it seems Toyotaro is a hardworker so I can congratulate him. However, I would have given an advice for the narration: since you (Tori's plot point) wanted to erase the entire Timeline (btw it is erased in Age 796 or so, allowing Trunks and Mai to create another Timeline in a past age), It should have been good to show the Zamasu army being present in other planets and universes, giving even more despair to the situation and making Zen'o's action more credible. But this is just my opinion. It is still possible to draw that myself and add it to the manga tho, but my drawing is not good :lol:
You know what? I would also have enjoyed seing Manga Fused Zamas using Teleportation and Kamehama techniques, I think he could use them, perhaps we will see that in a video game :o ?
Btw, I recommend you to read Toyble's DBAF, if you want to know where manga Goku Black came from ^^
Back to chapter 26, I am now curious about Pilaf's future, do they (Toyo and Tori) have plans for him? The end of the arc mentionned again Beerus' sealing technique (you know the Z-sword thing that was better than Mafuba), I really hope we see him use it one day !!

The ending really made me feel that they wanted to give total freedom for Trunks and Mai, they may be used in the future for a spin-off content :wink:

One last thing I wanted to say for some people on this forum, I mean for those who were like "The manga should end this arc this month already!!" since months: you are just a bunch of CRI-BA-BIES. I am certain that you have no idea what the work of a creator, an artist is. You are only good to complain and it's not like you paid :lolno:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:29 am

Humming-bird wrote:One last thing I wanted to say for some people on this forum, I mean for those who were like "The manga should end this arc this month already!!" since months: you are just a bunch of CRI-BA-BIES. I am certain that you have no idea what the work of a creator, an artist is. You are only good to complain and it's not like you paid :lolno:
Your logic is impeccable.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

KidGokuDB

Post by KidGokuDB » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:42 am

Holy crap, Gohan actually makes an appearance again in the manga side story. :clap:
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/888702424780689408

Even better it sort of gives reason to his appearance in the next arc (him mentioning nobody contacts him in fighting) and sets up as to why Future Trunks leaves in the manga. Props to Herms for the translation in tweets.
Last edited by KidGokuDB on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:09 am

KidGokuDB wrote:Holy crap, Gohan actually makes an appearance again the manga side story. :clap:

Even better it sort of gives reason to his appearance in the next arc (him mentioning nobody contacts him in fighting) and sets up as to why Future Trunks leaves in the manga. Props to Herms for the translation in tweets.
Look at that, there's Gohan!! Well, complaints about them not meeting in the manga will have to go now. So Trunks decides to restore his timeline because Gohan. Whatever.

It's some kind of bonus for the paper edition, right?
Heno heno kappa!

KidGokuDB

Post by KidGokuDB » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:23 am

Basako wrote:
KidGokuDB wrote:Holy crap, Gohan actually makes an appearance again the manga side story. :clap:

Look at that, there's Gohan!! Well, complaints about them not meeting in the manga will have to go now. So Trunks decides to restore his timeline because Gohan. Whatever.

It's some kind of bonus for the paper edition, right?
It most likely will be. Just in time for whenever vol. 4 will be created.

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 am

The ending was still pretty miserable (I'd guess that must've come from Toriyama if it's the same in both versions), but I adored the first half of this chapter. Zamasu's plan was so much grander, and Goku and Vegeta preparing to make a final stand was amazing - Toyotaro understands these characters INFINITELY better than any of the anime writers seem to. I think the manga did a much better job handling this story arc than the anime, just in terms of writing and fight choreography, but I did miss a few key moments from the anime. But still, those were a few moments amongst 20 episodes, whereas (apart from the ending) I consistently enjoyed the manga. If only this series became was more regular! :D

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 am

Yes gohan finally make an appearance,now there's a reason to see him in the Top and I found this artwork of #17 and #18 by toyotaroImage
Last edited by The gr on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:11 am

Gohan meeting trunks at last was probably in the outline as well I see..
Good, gohan looks as good as ever!
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker