"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:07 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote: 17 barely even fought SSJ3 Goku, you can hardly conclude they're on the same level.
Goku's choice of transformation is the conclusion. Toyotarõ didn't have Goku turn SSJ3 just because. It's the classic Dragon Ball visual representation to give us a power scale.
I also didn't write level but realm which throws a much wider net because the fight was interrupted.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Doctor. wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:17 barely even fought SSJ3 Goku, you can hardly conclude they're on the same level.
He's stronger, if anything. Goku pussied out once he saw #17's energy sphere.
Looked kind of pathetic and OOC, wish he went God instead of stopping the fight there, it'd give us a better idea of 17's power too.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:15 pm

LightBing wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote: 17 barely even fought SSJ3 Goku, you can hardly conclude they're on the same level.
Goku's choice of transformation is the conclusion. Toyotarõ didn't have Goku turn SSJ3 just because. It's the classic Dragon Ball visual representation to give us a power scale.
I also didn't write level but realm which throws a much wider net because the fight was interrupted.
You could make the argument that that's the narrative intent, but in universe 17 could be far stronger and there's nothing contradicting it. He was holding back to whatever level Goku was using and clearly had power to spare against SSJ3 Goku, plus Goku can't even feel his ki so he has no way of gauging his true strength, if he hadn't stopped the fight he may have been forced to transform even further. Toyo probably did intend to use that as a demonstration of power but I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be God level anyway.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:34 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
LightBing wrote:
You could make the argument that that's the narrative intent, but in universe 17 could be far stronger and there's nothing contradicting it. He was holding back to whatever level Goku was using and clearly had power to spare against SSJ3 Goku, plus Goku can't even feel his ki so he has no way of gauging his true strength, if he hadn't stopped the fight he may have been forced to transform even further. Toyo probably did intend to use that as a demonstration of power but I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be God level anyway.
He could be stronger, far stronger just goes against the whole point of the scene which is establishing #17 new power. Goku was gauging his power, note that he went from Base to SSJ2 to SSJ3. You can see one's movements and feel his punches to guess one's strength, this happened in the Android arc with those fighting and observing the Androids.

The idea that #17 is God level is to me ridiculous. Besides making the whole fighting useless it also ridicules SSJ God. Something the manga has respected, the line "this is a level I never imagined existed" uttered by Goku after the ritual actually matters in the manga.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Really neat chapter.

1. That Yamcha joke was in good taste. They just forgot about him instead of shitting on him for being weak or undependable.

2. Very nice to see a day in the home life of Krillin, Maron and 18. Really "humanizes" them, for lack of a better term. Also, nice to see her relationship with 17, since she doesn't even seem to care that he was on the news or whatever, and then we see she just ditches him later in the chapter. Good character dynamics at play.

3. Speaking of which, nice pathos added to 17's character. That Krillin thing is a neat way to add some layers to his character, instead of "I'm so stoic and badass". That's boring. This 17 feels like a person.

4. Power levels blah blah blah. Glad this made it clear as day that Goku wasn't trying his best and the fight never got really intense. That's some well-needed context. If characters are as strong as they need to be from scene to scene, it's impossible to build tension. We need more of this where the manga makes it clear how the characters stack up to each other.

Toyotaro is doing good work all-around.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:46 pm

LightBing wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
LightBing wrote: Goku's choice of transformation is the conclusion. Toyotarõ didn't have Goku turn SSJ3 just because. It's the classic Dragon Ball visual representation to give us a power scale.
He could be stronger, far stronger just goes against the whole point of the scene which is establishing #17 new power. Goku was gauging his power, note that he went from Base to SSJ2 to SSJ3. You can see one's movements and feel his punches to guess one's strength, this happened in the Android arc with those fighting and observing the Androids.

The idea that #17 is God level is to me ridiculous. Besides making the whole fighting useless it also ridicules SSJ God. Something the manga has respected, the line "this is a level I never imagined existed" uttered by Goku after the ritual actually matters in the manga.
But Goku didn't see 17 go all out. Furthermore, SSGod already became a joke when Goku still had to put some effrot into beating Kale and Caulifla with it and Kefla easily destroyed it in base, the same thing will most likely happen in the manga.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:But Goku didn't see 17 go all out. Furthermore, SSGod already became a joke when Goku still had to put some effrot into beating Kale and Caulifla with it and Kefla easily destroyed it in base, the same thing will most likely happen in the manga.
You're bring something that happened in the anime to this conversation, when I specified how nothing of that sort ever happened in the manga, even when it's become common in the anime. Predicting the manga to break it's pattern isn't an argument. Seriously you're using the imagined future to justify the now...

Yeah, let's stop it here.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 pm

LightBing wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:But Goku didn't see 17 go all out. Furthermore, SSGod already became a joke when Goku still had to put some effrot into beating Kale and Caulifla with it and Kefla easily destroyed it in base, the same thing will most likely happen in the manga.
You're bring something that happened in the anime to this conversation, when I specified how nothing of that sort ever happened in the manga, even when it's become common in the anime. Predicting the manga to break it's pattern isn't an argument. Seriously you're using the imagined future to justify the now...

Kefla forcing Goku back into UI seems like a pretty important plot point that would be in the outline, that being the case her SSJ2 should outclass Mastered SSBlue which allowed Goku to contend with Merged Zamasu who could fodderize regular SSBlues, through scaling alone Base Kefla should be God level.

Setting that aside, the manga implies even Base Vegetto is above SSBlue, so it's not like there's no precedent.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:23 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
LightBing wrote:

Kefla forcing Goku back into UI seems like a pretty important plot point that would be in the outline, that being the case her SSJ2 should outclass Mastered SSBlue which allowed Goku to contend with Merged Zamasu who could fodderize regular SSBlues, through scaling alone Base Kefla should be God level.

Setting that aside, the manga implies even Base Vegetto is above SSBlue, so it's not like there's no precedent.
Kefla could always asspull Blue to force Goku into UI. Certainly wouldn't put it past Toyotaro.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Doctor. wrote: Kefla could always asspull Blue to force Goku into UI. Certainly wouldn't put it past Toyotaro.
People would probably pat him on the back for 'explaining' it too.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:33 pm

-Chapter 31-

Okay chapter.

As expected Toyotaro is rushing this part. I can't blame him, but as someone who liked Krillin's build-up return as martial artist and his recruitment episode, having nothing of that here disappoints me.

Buu doesn't even wake up in this version. I guess it's official. If it wasn't for Toei, Buu still hadn't fought since DBZ.

The best things are Uub and C17/C18 flashback. The latter is something I would like the anime to have shown. The detail of C17 being grateful to Krillin is a nice touch.
Goku's interaction with the poachers was cool too.

Goku vs C17 was lame. Probably the worst fight of the arc so far.
I also don't like that generic ki ball C17 did in the end. It doesn't fit his fighting style and it's just like what Beerus did 3 chapters ago, which looks like what Kid Buu did back then.

I hope Toyotaro gets more creative when ToP comes, instead of giving generic ki blasts to all new characters. He did an awesome job with the GoDs battle royal, even though that animated without filler wouldn't be longer than 15 minutes...

Anyway, he seems to be improving and the increased number of pages by chapters plays a key role in that. I'm curious to see the rest.

Something I will always love in the manga is the blood and how Toyotaro usually gives new casual clothes to the characters.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:35 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: I hope Toyotaro gets more creative
Don't count on it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:38 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Don't count on it.
What, not a fan of throwing Katchin blocks?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:40 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: As expected Toyotaro is rushing this part. I can't blame him, but as someone who liked Krillin's build-up return as martial artist and his recruitment episode, having nothing of that here disappoints me.
It doesn't feel rushed here,if it was he would have just summed that recruitment in 1 pages similar on how he skipped F.Suck that toyo didn't show F,the scene where roshi motivated him could have been the best way to put him back to shape,the anime did this but they repeated it three time.
Doctor. wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Don't count on it.
Hey man cards,eye laser,tail ki and bow were cool even trough we only saw a glimpse of it.
    The idea of block were ok but toyo used it badly,it could lead to great choreography like with the portals if used correctly & honestly that what matter if the gimmick are used well.
    Mostly active on discord.

HeroR
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
    TheUltimateNinja wrote:
    Don't count on it.
    The Katchin blocks wasn't the problem. It's the fact that Merged Zamasu kept using them even for his final attack against Vegetto Blue like he had no other technique and you're left wondering why didn't he used Katchin spears, saws, or anything lethal. It comes off as a cheap throwback.
    Kanassa wrote:
    precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
    Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:42 pm

I don't follow the manga, can anyone tell me if they showed the exhibition matches against Universe 9 or was that skipped over?

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:44 pm

precita wrote:I don't follow the manga, can anyone tell me if they showed the exhibition matches against Universe 9 or was that skipped over?
    It was replaced by a GoD rumble.The recruitment is mostly the same so far with little differences like jiren,uub appearing,etc.
    Mostly active on discord.

jplaya2023
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:48 pm

LightBing wrote:
    goku can't sense their energy so maybe he's just being extra careful.

Also 17 being on ssj3 level fighting poachers is a joke. If he was that strong why not help vs buu. He was depicted then as being no use to the z fighters him and 18 now their powerhouses because they "trained"

micah007
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:44 am

I also hope Toyo is creative with attacks during the TOP something that the anime has been surprisingly creative with. We've seen characters unleash everything from illusionary techniques to micro black holes and everything in between, I pray it won't be one large ki blast spam (even though that will be a large part of fighting). He's got his work cut out for him to make Goku vs Jiren and the second half of the tournament better than the anime, and I hope he delivers.

Hawk9211
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 am

micah007 wrote:I also hope Toyo is creative with attacks during the TOP something that the anime has been surprisingly creative with. We've seen characters unleash everything from illusionary techniques to micro black holes and everything in between, I pray it won't be one large ki blast spam (even though that will be a large part of fighting). He's got his work cut out for him to make Goku vs Jiren and the second half of the tournament better than the anime, and I hope he delivers.
    Well,he did have portals,katchin blocks,zamasu's ability to teleport things,ki cards,bow etc.I expect most people to have generic ki blasts but a few people with more fleshed out powers.
    Why power levels are important?
    The genre and roots of dragon ball