"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:44 am

Draconic wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:I'm guessing this is the best place to ask this:

But as someone who isn't having that great of a time with Dragon Ball Super outside some of the slice-of-life episodes, would the manga be enjoyable to me?
Hard to say, but it's definitely worth it to check it out. The BoG arc isn't anything special, but I think it would be best to start at the beginning. It gets better art-wise and pace-wise as it goes on so don't get turned off by some of those issues early on. Also, the story differences are major enough, especially post U6, that it won't really feel like it's just retreading grounds you've already been on. Sure, the major beats are there, but how the story gets there stands on its own just fine.

Take it from me, not the biggest fan of the manga out there (quite the opposite in a way), that even if you don't find it enjoyable by the end, you won't regret taking a look at it either. It's quite short too, so it won't take long to get up to date!
Robo4900 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:I'm guessing this is the best place to ask this:

But as someone who isn't having that great of a time with Dragon Ball Super outside some of the slice-of-life episodes, would the manga be enjoyable to me?
I was in the same boat as you. The manga doesn't have any of the slice of life stuff really, but it does the arc stuff very differently from the anime, and many people -- myself included -- consider the manga's approach infinitely superior. One of my particular raves about the manga is that the pace is really quick, so add to that the fact the storytelling is much more coherent and logical, and you have a much more enjoyable telling of the story. (Or, in my view, an actually enjoyable telling of the story, compared to the anime's joyless, cynical slog that simply rides on nostalgia)

I suggest just giving it a go for yourself to see, though. The manga basically skipped Resurrection F, and only told Battle Of Gods through a 1-chapter quick recap, so you get straight into the proper Super stuff. The Black arc is where the manga really comes into its own, and that starts in volume 2. So, while I think reading from the beginning is best, you could just jump in at the start of the Black arc, which is somewhere in volume 2.

But yeah, absolutely give the manga a go; it's a lot better than the anime in my(And many others') opinion. The anime's slice of life stuff is pretty good(Sometimes great), but man do the arcs suck; meanwhile the manga is a joy to read. It just does everything so much better...
I'll check them out then. It couldn't hurt to see how the story is developed in that format. It sucks that there aren't as many slice-of-life moments in it but it looks like it still might be worth it.

And thank God that the movies don't last two long in the manga. :thumbup:
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:51 am

Well I'd say this manga would finish in 3 or 7 chapters.

One seems too few and one seems too many. If they maintained the pace of the last chapter then it could be 3 I suppose but it is more likely to be 7.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:29 am

Bullza wrote:Well I'd say this manga would finish in 3 or 7 chapters.

One seems too few and one seems too many. If they maintained the pace of the last chapter then it could be 3 I suppose but it is more likely to be 7.
I don’t see it ending in seven either remember that Zamasu kept fighting for 4 chapters.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 am

Hawk9211 wrote:I don’t see it ending in seven either remember that Zamasu kept fighting for 4 chapters.
They might not make the fight with Jiren so long this time. The vast majority of the fighters in this Tournament are scrubs so I could see most getting wiped out in the next two chapters.

For all we know Hit, Caulifla and Kale, Dyspo, Toppo and Jiren might be the only ones that get a worthwhile focus.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:09 am

Bullza wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:I don’t see it ending in seven either remember that Zamasu kept fighting for 4 chapters.
They might not make the fight with Jiren so long this time. The vast majority of the fighters in this Tournament are scrubs so I could see most getting wiped out in the next two chapters.

For all we know Hit, Caulifla and Kale, Dyspo, Toppo and Jiren might be the only ones that get a worthwhile focus.
Shut up :sick:
But,seriously I just don’t see toyotaro rushing it that much.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:19 pm

How does one go about getting this volume?

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Vegeta is finished then his full power mastered ssjb was no match against an very supressed Beerus. What will he do against transforming Toppo and Jiren. He should get k.o. in matter of seconds. He needs a power up.
Both Goku and Vegeta CSSB would get man handled by Beerus..
You didn’t do anything in replying with that. The dude clearly said that a suppressed beerus would be far above cssb goku/vegeta. Which would also play out the same with jiren.
For starters he ONLY pointed out Vegeta. I was clearly letting him know that Goku would have the same results. Once again, you decide to not read a statement before replying. :shh:

Second, we aren’t sure if transforming Toppo is anime exclusive just yet. When Toppo fought Goku in the manga they were convinced it could’ve gone either way. As far as Jiren goes, the only who can fight him and stand a chance is UI. So it really doesn’t matter if CSSB stands a chance against Jiren since SSBKK didn’t work at all either.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:How does one go about getting this volume?
In america,you can buy it from viz,but they are preemptive far behind.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
I'm gettig both Viz (digital) and the Japanese (physical) but this is a special edition cover for the upcoming volume :D

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:48 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:
Both Goku and Vegeta CSSB would get man handled by Beerus..
You didn’t do anything in replying with that. The dude clearly said that a suppressed beerus would be far above cssb goku/vegeta. Which would also play out the same with jiren.
For starters he ONLY pointed out Vegeta. I was clearly letting him know that Goku would have the same results. Once again, you decide to not read a statement before replying. :shh:

Second, we aren’t sure if transforming Toppo is anime exclusive just yet. When Toppo fought Goku in the manga they were convinced it could’ve gone either way. As far as Jiren goes, the only who can fight him and stand a chance is UI. So it really doesn’t matter if CSSB stands a chance against Jiren since SSBKK didn’t work at all either.
Jiren threats cssb as much trash as beerus. So I don’t know why you brought that up. Also, I did read, you are just nitpicky in what to reply with. And what the heck are you talking about I decided not to read before responding... again?

You do know that there is no correct way to respond, right? You read what someone says, and you respond with whatever words you want to reply with.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:03 pm

What is this? I don't recall seeing Rage Trunks on Toyotaro's manga.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:09 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:

Jiren threats cssb as much trash as beerus. So I don’t know why you brought that up. Also, I did read, you are just nitpicky in what to reply with. And what the heck are you talking about I decided not to read before responding... again?

You do know that there is no correct way to respond, right? You read what someone says, and you respond with whatever words you want to reply with.
This conversation had nothing to do with you to start with and you came in here with your snappy message. Your first sentence doesn’t even make sense. Proof read before you post please.

The reason I criticized you for your lack of reading was because you straight up told me you didn’t care to read a lengthy post. A couple times now I’ve seen you comment on statements without knowing what all the poster said. It shows.

My statement was valid since he was trying to state that Vegeta needs a power Up because he would get destroyed by Jiren and a transformed Toppo. I simply stated both Vegeta AND Goku are in the same boat with CSSB. The only transformation that stands a chance against Jiren and Beerus is UI. Once again, there’s no confirmation yet that transformed Toppo is both anime and manga.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:

This conversation had nothing to do with you to start with and you came in here with your snappy message. Your first sentence doesn’t even make sense. Proof read before you post please.

The reason I criticized you for your lack of reading was because you straight up told me you didn’t care to read a lengthy post. A couple times now I’ve seen you comment on statements without knowing what all the poster said. It shows.

My statement was valid since he was trying to state that Vegeta needs a power Up because he would get destroyed by Jiren and a transformed Toppo. I simply stated both Vegeta AND Goku are in the same boat with CSSB. The only transformation that stands a chance against Jiren and Beerus is UI. Once again, there’s no confirmation yet that transformed Toppo is both anime and manga.
No. I read your post, and I know how I responded. I wasn’t included in the conversation? Well too bad, it’s a place where anyone can add to the conversation. You might not like it, but Thats how it is. And since you think you know I’m not reading, why do you keep bringing toppo being an anime/manga only thing? If a said anything about toppo, it might have been a very long time ago, cause it sure ain’t when you replied to me.

So to be cleared, I added to the conversation by questioning you, you shouldn’t have taking it the wrong way.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Will the manga even go past ToP? Would it re-tell the movie that is coming out soon?

Will it continue past that? I have a lot of questions. lol
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:What is this? I don't recall seeing Rage Trunks on Toyotaro's manga.
I'm really hoping it'll be a scenario in which Toyotarō makes a note something along the lines of "Although Trunks didn't transform in my manga, the anime's furious Trunks was too cool for me not to draw and include on the cover of this special edition! I hope everyone enjoys it!" The transformation didn't make much sense or have much of any build up, so I'd rather not see it retconned into the manga as anything more than a promotional "Hey, look at this cool Trunks! He came back in Dragon Ball Super!" image.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:14 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
I'm gettig both Viz (digital) and the Japanese (physical) but this is a special edition cover for the upcoming volume :D
There is going to be a contest for limited edition covers,doubt you will be able to get those.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9648 ... 25504?s=20

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:36 am

Toyotaro is still struggling with the fact that there are only 28 days in February.“They should split them up evenly”
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9682 ... 55744?s=20
For some reason,the image is not working for me;someone post it.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:05 am

GamerSkull wrote: I'll check them out then. It couldn't hurt to see how the story is developed in that format. It sucks that there aren't as many slice-of-life moments in it but it looks like it still might be worth it.

While I look forward to watching the anime every week, it's almost entirely because I'm a Dragon Ball fan in general. There are some cool moments now and again, but overall I feel it is a below-average to poor product. I love the manga. Not everyone feels this way, but I feel like it nails the feel of Dragon Ball and its characters much better than the anime.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:05 am

batistabus wrote:
GamerSkull wrote: I'll check them out then. It couldn't hurt to see how the story is developed in that format. It sucks that there aren't as many slice-of-life moments in it but it looks like it still might be worth it.

While I look forward to watching the anime every week, it's almost entirely because I'm a Dragon Ball fan in general. There are some cool moments now and again, but overall I feel it is a below-average to poor product. I love the manga. Not everyone feels this way, but I feel like it nails the feel of Dragon Ball and its characters much better than the anime.
I only watch the anime because people at my job watch it too. So it's fun watching my friends geek out. Aside from that, it's trashy entertainment. I don't know if I love the manga, but it's far more cohesive than the anime supported by some great art and the fact that GOKU ISN'T A COMPLETE PIECE OF SHIT IN IT.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:07 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: In america,you can buy it from viz,but they are preemptive far behind.
There is going to be a contest for limited edition covers,doubt you will be able to get those.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9648 ... 25504?s=20
Thank you! Ah well, I'll keep my eye on ebay. depending how much it'll go for