"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:08 am

Rhuagh wrote:Guys, Resurrection 'F' is not in the Super manga because Toyotaro already did the manga adaptation as promotion to the film 2 months before Super began. There are 3 chapters and it covers the resurrection of Freeza, the Z Fighters x Freeza Army battle and the beginning of Goku x Freeza.

If you want to see Gohan drawn by Toyotaro in detail, search for it, the art is great.
This is a minor distinction but it's an important one nonetheless: The promotional preview of Resurrection F doesn't coexist with Toyotaro's Dragon Ball Super continuity. The new series wasn't yet an idea & as the film persists, the chapters are recognized as a Dragon Ball Z product. There's likely truth to a reworked vision being skipped due to "charging ahead" & promoting Dragon Ball Super's future. In regard to revisiting history, it's unnecessary due to the nature of V-Jump's serialization & the continuity's brief acknowledgement of the tale. I'm essentially providing a long-winded explanation that it exists as its own interpretation, divorced from Toyotaro's fresher take of events.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 am

Scsigs wrote:
Rhuagh wrote:Guys, Resurrection 'F' is not in the Super manga because Toyotaro already did the manga adaptation as promotion to the film 2 months before Super began. There are 3 chapters and it covers the resurrection of Freeza, the Z Fighters x Freeza Army battle and the beginning of Goku x Freeza.

If you want to see Gohan drawn by Toyotaro in detail, search for it, the art is great.
I thought it was because it was a retread of things already established in the movie & he wanted to get ahead, since the manga's only a monthly release.
I don't think he decided to go ahead it was Shueisha/Toei to get people excited for the new material while the Freeza retelling was going on (movie came out the same year as opposed to BoG 2 years ago and the movie came out on BD the same time). The Manga is a promo product for the anime afterall.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
The gr wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: She's in it considerably more than Gohan, he's in it for like 3-5 pages max.
That's how much toriyama cares for gohan :lol: , This is surreal, here's the reason why the DBS manga needed to include rof because it at Least feature gohan and the z figthers.Bulma got decent screentime in the Manga
It also really puts into perspective how much the anime is willing to give Gohan more screentime.
Toei does a good job of putting in all the characters, not just Gohan. They might do it due to financial reasons, but the product benefits from it imo. In the manga it feels way too focused on Goku and Vegeta and it's like the other characters don't exist in the same universe anymore. Hopefully this arc will change that. It'd be a shame if it only focuses on Goku and Vegeta.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:35 pm

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
The gr wrote: That's how much toriyama cares for gohan :lol: , This is surreal, here's the reason why the DBS manga needed to include rof because it at Least feature gohan and the z figthers.Bulma got decent screentime in the Manga
It also really puts into perspective how much the anime is willing to give Gohan more screentime.
Toei does a good job of putting in all the characters, not just Gohan. They might do it due to financial reasons, but the product benefits from it imo. In the manga it feels way too focused on Goku and Vegeta and it's like the other characters don't exist in the same universe anymore. Hopefully this arc will change that. It'd be a shame if it only focuses on Goku and Vegeta.
your completely wrong,the Manga also use their cast well, like the kaioshin and trunks, they don't win figth but they are revelant to the plot imo, trunks is the reason why Goku and Vegeta went to the past and gowasu and kaioshin saved trunks
Mostly active on discord.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 pm

The gr wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: It also really puts into perspective how much the anime is willing to give Gohan more screentime.
your completely wrong,the Manga also use their cast well, like the kaioshin and trunks, they don't win figth but they are revelant to the plot imo, trunks is the reason why Goku and Vegeta went to the past and gowasu and kaioshin saved trunks
The mangas still much more closed off than the anime though. In the manga, Goku and Vegeta are still the central focus by far. Future Trunks was more heavily involved in the anime, regardless of if you think he was useful in the manga.

Gowasu and Kaioshin are equally, if not more important in the manga. I agree on that. Still, the anime treats it's cast much better. Future Trunks, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin , Goten, kid Trunks, and Future Mai were treated better in the anime version. Same with Bulma.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:01 pm

kinisking wrote:
The gr wrote:
kinisking wrote: Toei does a good job of putting in all the characters, not just Gohan. They might do it due to financial reasons, but the product benefits from it imo. In the manga it feels way too focused on Goku and Vegeta and it's like the other characters don't exist in the same universe anymore. Hopefully this arc will change that. It'd be a shame if it only focuses on Goku and Vegeta.
The mangas still much more closed off than the anime though. In the manga, Goku and Vegeta are still the central focus by far. Future Trunks was more heavily involved in the anime, regardless of if you think he was useful in the manga.

Gowasu and Kaioshin are equally, if not more important in the manga. I agree on that. Still, the anime treats it's cast much better. Future Trunks, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin , Goten, kid Trunks, and Future Mai were treated better in the anime version. Same with Bulma.
I disagree with Piccolo,Mai and bulma ,the Manga treat bulma and Mai like in the Anime, and Goten is nothing,even if the anime uses it cast well, the Manga also have ok cast usage because the kaioshin, gowasu,, kibito trunks arguably have ​decent screentime,I just hate it when people said the manga is only Goku and Vegeta,the Anime have an advantage because they have filler and longer recruitment episode

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:18 pm

The gr wrote:
kinisking wrote:
The gr wrote: your completely wrong,the Manga also use their cast well, like the kaioshin and trunks, they don't win figth but they are revelant to the plot imo, trunks is the reason why Goku and Vegeta went to the past and gowasu and kaioshin saved trunks

I disagree with Piccolo and bulma and mai,the Manga treat bulma and Mai like in the Anime, and Goten is nothing,I agree with krillin, still even if the anime uses it cast well, the Manga also have ok cast usage because the kaioshin, gowasu,, kibito trunks arguably have ​decent screentime,I just hate it when people said the manga is only Goku and Vegeta,so are
In the anime, Bulma had to fix Cells time machine and travel with them to tbe future. Mai had many scenes showing her fighting black on her own. Piccolo was shown in the future trunks arc, acted fatherly about Gohan, and indirectly taught FT the Mafuba. Gotens literally nothing in the manga, but at least in the Black arc we get to see him wanting to help. Kibito has decent screen time ? Very arguable indeed. Although that's one character that's done better in the anime. The anime was titled the Goku and Vegeta show, yet the manga is even worse at this. That's how bad it is.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 pm

The gr wrote:
kinisking wrote:
The gr wrote: your completely wrong,the Manga also use their cast well, like the kaioshin and trunks, they don't win figth but they are revelant to the plot imo, trunks is the reason why Goku and Vegeta went to the past and gowasu and kaioshin saved trunks

I disagree with Piccolo,Mai and bulma ,the Manga treat bulma and Mai like in the Anime, and Goten is nothing,even if the anime uses it cast well, the Manga also have ok cast usage because the kaioshin, gowasu,, kibito trunks arguably have ​decent screentime,I just hate it when people said the manga is only Goku and Vegeta,the Anime have an advantage because they have filler and longer recruitment episode
Bulma is far more prominent in the anime. That's not to saw she doesn't have a significant role in the manga, she feel way more of an integral character in the anime. Hell, the manga outright skips Future Bulma's death. And Piccolo has barely made a blip on the radar in the manga. Not to mention he was treated like joke in the Universe 6/7 tournament in the manga. Whereas in the anime, he at least tried to win, even though he was told he had no chance of winning. And using great strategy, he nearly did beat Frost.
kinisking wrote:In the anime, Bulma had to fix Cells time machine and travel with them to tbe future. Mai had many scenes showing her fighting black on her own. Piccolo was shown in the future trunks arc, acted fatherly about Gohan, and indirectly taught FT the Mafuba. Gotens literally nothing in the manga, but at least in the Black arc we get to see him wanting to help. Kibito has decent screen time ? Very arguable indeed. Although that's one character that's done better in the anime. The anime was titled the Goku and Vegeta show, yet the manga is even worse at this. That's how bad it is.
It's ironic when you think about. The manga follows a more logical power structure, but ironically that leads to the narrative becoming far more linear as you know for a fact that the only characters who can actually do anything of any worth in battle are Goku and Vegeta because of how much stronger they are compared to everyone else. It's not an inherently bad thing, but at this stage I just can't invested in the idea of Future Trunks killing Goku Black and/or Zamasu because he just doesn't feel like an central character anymore. He seems unimportant to overall scope of the narrative. He feels more like a bystander.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
The gr wrote:
kinisking wrote: The mangas still much more closed off than the anime though. In the manga, Goku and Vegeta are still the central focus by far. Future Trunks was more heavily involved in the anime, regardless of if you think he was useful in the manga.

Bulma is far more prominent in the anime. That's not to saw she doesn't have a significant role in the manga, she feel way more of an integral character in the anime. Hell, the manga outright skips Future Bulma's death. And Piccolo has barely made a blip on the radar in the manga. Not to mention he was treated like joke in the Universe 6/7 tournament in the manga. Whereas in the anime, he at least tried to win, even though he was told he had no chance of winning. And using great strategy, he nearly did beat Frost.
kinisking wrote:In the anime, Bulma had to fix Cells time machine and travel with them to tbe future. Mai had many scenes showing her fighting black on her own. Piccolo was shown in the future trunks arc, acted fatherly about Gohan, and indirectly taught FT the Mafuba. Gotens literally nothing in the manga, but at least in the Black arc we get to see him wanting to help. Kibito has decent screen time ? Very arguable indeed. Although that's one character that's done better in the anime. The anime was titled the Goku and Vegeta show, yet the manga is even worse at this. That's how bad it is.
It's ironic when you think about. The manga follows a more logical power structure, but ironically that leads to the narrative becoming far more linear as you know for a fact that the only characters who can actually do anything of any worth in battle are Goku and Vegeta because of how much stronger they are compared to everyone else. It's not an inherently bad thing, but at this stage I just can't invested in the idea of Future Trunks killing Goku Black and/or Zamasu because he just doesn't feel like an central character anymore. He seems unimportant to overall scope of the narrative. He feels more like a bystander.
Nah Piccolo was still inrelevant, because he was just there to make vegeta cool, Trunks did contribute to the plot,he went to the past and he saved Goku and Vegeta, remove him, both of them would have died, hell trunk have way more lines than Goku, and Bulma is the reason why they went to the future in the Anime and manga, don't ignore that detail and she helped to solve the mystery of black
kinisking wrote:
The gr wrote:
kinisking wrote: The mangas still much more closed off than the anime though. In the manga, Goku and Vegeta are still the central focus by far. Future Trunks was more heavily involved in the anime, regardless of if you think he was useful in the manga.

I disagree with Piccolo and bulma and mai,the Manga treat bulma and Mai like in the Anime, and Goten is nothing,I agree with krillin, still even if the anime uses it cast well, the Manga also have ok cast usage because the kaioshin, gowasu,, kibito trunks arguably have ​decent screentime,I just hate it when people said the manga is only Goku and Vegeta,so are
In the anime, Bulma had to fix Cells time machine and travel with them to tbe future. Mai had many scenes showing her fighting black on her own. Piccolo was shown in the future trunks arc, acted fatherly about Gohan, and indirectly taught FT the Mafuba. Gotens literally nothing in the manga, but at least in the Black arc we get to see him wanting to help. Kibito has decent screen time ? Very arguable indeed. Although that's one character that's done better in the anime. The anime was titled the Goku and Vegeta show, yet the manga is even worse at this. That's how bad it is.
The mafuba was worth less, bulma gave them fuel in the manga and Anime,are we're going to ignore that, without her,no one would have​ gone to the future, and just because Goten suggested help, that doesn't mean he is revelant, kibito was helpful for zamas path to corruption and he help to solve the mystery,way more useful than Goten, Piccolo and gohan.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm a little disturbed by the amount of times I read "Trunks should decapitate Black" in the last few pages. As much as I appreciate this versions willingness to show a little more blood, I don't think the image of the main character (body swapped or otherwise) getting his head chopped off is going to happen, and it would be in very poor taste if it did.

It's hard to say what's going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Trunks sneak-attacks Merged Zamasu from above & behind with a bisecting attack in a way that pays homage to Freeza's death back in the day. The anime paid that homage so I wouldn't be surprised if that's going to be common between the two versions in some way.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Duo wrote:I'm a little disturbed by the amount of times I read "Trunks should decapitate Black" in the last few pages. As much as I appreciate this versions willingness to show a little more blood, I don't think the image of the main character (body swapped or otherwise) getting his head chopped off is going to happen, and it would be in very poor taste if it did.

It's hard to say what's going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Trunks sneak-attacks Merged Zamasu from above & behind with a bisecting attack in a way that pays homage to Freeza's death back in the day. The anime paid that homage so I wouldn't be surprised if that's going to be common between the two versions in some way.
I mean there teasing us that Merged zamasu will unfused,so trunk will stab Black in the chest,no gore but blood I expect and for his inmortal buddy, might be blown to pieces probably by Trunks exploding him self or by a strong masenko,his body is destroyed, but zamas turn into a cloud, Zeno ex machina time, everyone live happily ever after, The end

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Duo wrote:I'm a little disturbed by the amount of times I read "Trunks should decapitate Black" in the last few pages. As much as I appreciate this versions willingness to show a little more blood, I don't think the image of the main character (body swapped or otherwise) getting his head chopped off is going to happen, and it would be in very poor taste if it did.
Why is this disturbing? Why would it be in poor taste? Compared to other deaths in dragonball (Hell, you suggest how Trunks kills Frieza, which is easily more disturbing than decapitation), cutting off Black's head is tame.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Why is this disturbing? Why would it be in poor taste? Compared to other deaths in dragonball (Hell, you suggest how Trunks kills Frieza, which is easily more disturbing than decapitation), cutting off Black's head is tame.
Not to mention, Freeza impaling Krillin straight through the gut with his horns and if we want to count the anime filler, he was shifting his head up and down repeatedly to torture Krillin even further, causing more blood to leak.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:08 am

Duo wrote:I don't think the image of the main character getting his head chopped off is going to happen.

It's already happened before so it could happen again but I think you might be right about the Freeza death having a chance to happen again.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:44 am

sintzu wrote:
Duo wrote:I don't think the image of the main character getting his head chopped off is going to happen.

/snip/[/img]

It's already happened before so it could happen again but I think you might be right about the Freeza death having a chance to happen again.
Emphasis on "main character" as in the image of Son Goku, one of the biggest icon's in Anime history, being shown getting decapitated.

About as likely as a Disney film including Mickey Mouse getting decapitated.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:52 am

Duo wrote: Emphasis on "main character" as in the image of Son Goku, one of the biggest icon's in Anime history, being shown getting decapitated.

Because Disney is known for their gore

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:01 am

Kanassa wrote:
Duo wrote: Emphasis on "main character" as in the image of Son Goku, one of the biggest icon's in Anime history, being shown getting decapitated.

Because Disney is known for their gore
That's basically a non-point. Heavy gore in Dragon Ball has almost always been aimed at antagonists. You have a few incidents with Yamcha, Kuririn, and the like, but even DB had the restraint not to show what sort of shape Piccolo was in when he was de-petrified when Dabura died. You're not going to see a decapitated Son Goku, and I'm not sure why that idea is being treated like a fetish.

A bisected villain is a much different matter than a beloved main character.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:18 am

Duo wrote: That's basically a non-point. Heavy gore in Dragon Ball has almost always been aimed at antagonists. You have a few incidents with Yamcha, Kuririn, and the like, but even DB had the restraint not to show what sort of shape Piccolo was in when he was de-petrified when Dabura died. You're not going to see a decapitated Son Goku, and
A bisected villain is a much different matter than a beloved main character.
And Black is a villain. As you even mention, gory injuries have been inflicted upon the heroes plenty of times. Compared to other injuries in the show (Krillin, Videl, Chi-chi), decapitation is tame.
I'm not sure why that idea is being treated like a fetish.
What posts have you been reading?

Kanassa wrote:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:42 am

Kanassa wrote:
I'm not sure why that idea is being treated like a fetish.
What posts have you been reading?
He posted that by mistake, it was meant for his girlfriend who he is trying to convince to lay down in chocolate and flap like a seal
I kid I kid, sorry

Black could definitely be involved in some heavy gore Including maybe getting his arms cut off, but I see what you mean, decapitating the "main character" on screen isn't a move everyone will be willing to pull off..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 am

[REDACTED] version is out.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

They made it definite statement instead of a question