"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:03 pm

Alkiser wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:09 pm Cover of the 23rd volume of the Dragon Ball Super manga

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1765 ... OvBqg&s=19
I'm surprised he didn't reuse this V Jump cover:

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:08 pm

Alkiser wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:09 pm Cover of the 23rd volume of the Dragon Ball Super manga

He's reusing the same exact Spider-Man pose he used for his Cooler drawing...
This guy never ceases to amaze me.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:15 am

Gashaponista wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:08 pm

But apparently Toriyama is the one that is lazy and creatively bankrupt.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:39 pm

That... is a bit unfortunate, I have to say. Reusing the pose is one thing, but it doesn't really suit Cell Max. He isn't super agile like Cooler, he's a giant, lumbering kaiju.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:35 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:39 pm

That... is a bit unfortunate, I have to say. Reusing the pose is one thing, but it doesn't really suit Cell Max. He isn't super agile like Cooler, he's a giant, lumbering kaiju.

Throughout the film he was just very agile and fast, jumping, running and smashing everything around.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:38 am

In light of the news of Toriyama's passing, I wonder what's next for the Super manga. I wonder if a full arc has been planned and if Toriyama has had any involvement in it.

It's really going to be difficult to be fully invested in any Dragon Ball product that didn't have his direct involvement. Really hoping there's one final Toriyama/Toyotaro collab on the horizon.

HulkTySSJ5

Post by HulkTySSJ5 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:54 am

So... this is it?...
My friend Toyble actually OWNS Dragon Ball now?!

This is very sad news.
Happy Toyble can officially add his designs for Xicor and SS5, but still... very very sad.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:11 am

Let's hope all the hiatus, retellings and little silly filler arcs, were used to prepare new material in advance.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:58 am

HulkTySSJ5 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:54 am So... this is it?...

This is very sad news.
Happy Toyble can officially add his designs for Xicor and SS5, but still... very very sad.
The answer is..it's Toei. It's always been Toei. I don't think Toriyama's passing will effect Super or Daima all that much; this isn't a situation like Kentaro Miura. Toriyama had long since ceded control of DB to Toei, while taking on more of a support role where he occasionally put out scripts.

Despite this, Toriyama IS Dragonball, and I wonder if this leads to a dip in sales now that Toriyama is no longer with us.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:04 am

Toriyama owned Dragon Ball and as creator was the ultimate authority figure. If I had to guess, one of his kids will become the steward of the franchise from here on out.

That being said, I don't really think that this is the time for this conversation.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:16 pm

This is very sad news.
I know this isn't intentional....but this isn't it. It's insensitive at this time
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:14 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:58 am

This is very sad news.
The answer is..it's Toei. It's always been Toei. I don't think Toriyama's passing will effect Super or Daima all that much; this isn't a situation like Kentaro Miura. Toriyama had long since ceded control of DB to Toei, while taking on more of a support role where he occasionally put out scripts.

Despite this, Toriyama IS Dragonball, and I wonder if this leads to a dip in sales now that Toriyama is no longer with us.
This is where you're wrong. Toei were mere puppets of Toriyama and bird studio lately, and now probably of Capsule Coporation.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:57 pm

In light of Akira Toriyama's untimely passing, my continued readership of Super, at this point, is going one of two ways:

1. If Toriyama was actively working with Toyotaro on a future story arc for the past couple of years and much of the plot outline is already finished, it's certainly posthumous material worth checking out. I'll continue to read the manga until that's no longer the case.

2. If it's officially mentioned that the above didn't happen, or if nothing is clarified at all (which, let's be honest, basically means the same thing), then this month's chapter will be the last chapter I read for quite some time – if not indefinitely. I have no interest in continuing to consume a work without his input, even if that input was limited; a Dragon Ball without Toriyama isn't really Dragon Ball at all.

In the meantime:

Gonna watch the Sand Land film when it releases in the west in his honor, maybe check out Daima when/if that comes out, and ugly cry my face off while doing it. Beyond that, I'm done with all future DB projects outside of maybe the video games. If the manga from here on out is all Toyotaro, I might someday return to it retrospectively after Shueisha wraps up the entire Super series, which I hope they do sooner rather than later, but that's about the extent of it.

But above all, I'm just heartbroken. I was devastated last night when I heard the announcement and I'm equally devastated today. RIP to a legend.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Pointer

Post by Pointer » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:28 pm

I just wonder how they ll explain the connection between ultimate mode and beast

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:43 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:57 pm In light of Akira Toriyama's untimely passing, my continued readership of Super, at this point, is going one of two ways:

1. If Toriyama was actively working with Toyotaro on a future story arc for the past couple of years and much of the plot outline is already finished, it's certainly posthumous material worth checking out. I'll continue to read the manga until that's no longer the case.

2. If it's officially mentioned that the above didn't happen, or if nothing is clarified at all (which, let's be honest, basically means the same thing), then this month's chapter will be the last chapter I read for quite some time – if not indefinitely. I have no interest in continuing to consume a work without his input, even if that input was limited; a Dragon Ball without Toriyama isn't really Dragon Ball at all.

In the meantime:

Gonna watch the Sand Land film when it releases in the west in his honor, maybe check out Daima when/if that comes out, and ugly cry my face off while doing it. Beyond that, I'm done with all future DB projects outside of maybe the video games. If the manga from here on out is all Toyotaro, I might someday return to it retrospectively after Shueisha wraps up the entire Super series, which I hope they do sooner rather than later, but that's about the extent of it.

But above all, I'm just heartbroken. I was devastated last night when I heard the announcement and I'm equally devastated today. RIP to a legend.
Eh ok.. I think I’d just wait to see if I still enjoy the franchise before I’d start basing quality on the artist rather than the works…

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:48 am

TheMikado wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:43 pm Eh ok.. I think I’d just wait to see if I still enjoy the franchise before I’d start basing quality on the artist rather than the works…
I couldn't care less what you'd do. Didn't ask.

All art is an extension of the artist. Dragon Ball is Toriyama's work, and Toriyama is Dragon Ball's authenticity. His qualities and sensibilities as a writer are impossible to replicate. They're the reason I fell in love with his work. I've seen enough of this franchise without his oversight to know what kind of shit we'd get otherwise, and I'm thoroughly uninterested.

But if that's your thing, knock yourself out. However people wish to consume this multimedia conglomerate is entirely up to them.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:04 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:48 am
TheMikado wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:43 pm Eh ok.. I think I’d just wait to see if I still enjoy the franchise before I’d start basing quality on the artist rather than the works…
I couldn't care less what you'd do. Didn't ask.

All art is an extension of the artist. Dragon Ball is Toriyama's work, and Toriyama is Dragon Ball's authenticity. His qualities and sensibilities as a writer are impossible to replicate. They're the reason I fell in love with his work. I've seen enough of this franchise without his oversight to know what kind of shit we'd get otherwise, and I'm thoroughly uninterested.

But if that's your thing, knock yourself out. However people wish to consume this multimedia conglomerate is entirely up to them.
It has been seven fcking years since the multiverse was established, yet it has not been thoroughly explored. There is still much to learn about Zalama and the mystery behind the Super Dragon Balls. The two recent arcs were boring as hell, as they featured a literal copy of Cell villain and another Bardock rehash, both of which contradicted the original story in many ways. God, we're not even past the End of Z yet. See that's the problem with this whole thing, Toriyama has been pushing it for too long and we didn't had anything new except for more transformations.
Call me crazy, but Toei would continue this franchise very well, even without Toriyama.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:38 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:57 pm In light of Akira Toriyama's untimely passing, my continued readership of Super, at this point, is going one of two ways:

In the meantime:

You and I both agree. However, I will give it a chance. Maybe...Just maybe the official Dragonball heads can try to keep it classic Toriyama. Go back to the old school 90's Dragonball as an absolute basis as they move forward in Toriyama's name.

The anime/manga world just got more boring for me.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:19 pm

I'm probably going to continue reading, but mostly just out of curiosity to see how the series turns out.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:17 am

I must agree with Mr Baggins here.

Toriyama can’t be replicated and it’s all been too clear each and every time he hasn’t directly supervised works based on his characters and worlds.

For me, Dragon Ball will unfortunately be over once Daima ends, or at the very best once the latest movie written by Toriyama comes out, assuming he had something else written.

It is all incredibly sad and I think the realization will truly hit after Daima will be over.

I just hope they will not bullshit us with his name over works he hasn’t really worked on. At least, they seemingly told the truth about Super Hero also being supervised by Sasuke Toriyama, so maybe he had some succession planned out.

For sure I will read and watch any Dragon Ball material they will release, despite it not being under Toriyama, as long as the production quality is good. But it will never be the same. Hopefully, at least, Sasuke will be there to avoid that they destroy what Dragon Ball is. And I trust Toyotaro to respect the story and world as much as possible.

But, the real story is over. Unless Toriyama left some notes on how he wanted to close Super, it also is. I guess we will never know how and if Goku ever surpassed Beerus or what would have been of Freeza and Broly, and all the other new characters and mysteries he came up with.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical