"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Maybe it's just me but that's obviously a joke. Don't expect Yamcha to be mentioned again this arc or you''l be disappointed.

This is much better than the anime, there the Yamcha joke felt cruel. Here he gets a mention, a little jab and the what-if scenario; if Bulma wasn't interrupted Yamcha would probably be in the tournament.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:34 pm

We`ll see. At this point I`m expecting one day to find out that a scarred desert bandid did robbed Toryama on a vacation trip post 2008.

And it will all make sense.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Good to see the manga is fixing the travesty and disrespect for characters and known power scale that the anime has done. Toriyama gives suggestions, changes things and proof reads Toyotaros manga before it finalized. This is the true canon of Super.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Zeru14 wrote:
And I like to say THANK YOU!!, Toyo for making Marron finally look like she's actually 9, where in the anime she still looks like her Buu Saga self.
But Krillin still looks like a child.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 pm

LightBing wrote:Maybe it's just me but that's obviously a joke. Don't expect Yamcha to be mentioned again this arc or you''l be disappointed.

This is much better than the anime, there the Yamcha joke felt cruel. Here he gets a mention, a little jab and the what-if scenario; if Bulma wasn't interrupted Yamcha would probably be in the tournament.
It's all Mr.Satan's fault. If only he'd have called like a minute later.

I agree with you though. Although they could go the Dr.Rota route with this and have someone bring him up again for suggestions about a 10th member before getting cut off again, but I doubt it.

Namz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:39 pm

JulianStyles wrote:Good to see the manga is fixing the travesty and disrespect for characters and known power scale that the anime has done. Toriyama gives suggestions, changes things and proof reads Toyotaros manga before it finalized. This is the true canon of Super.

It's not enough. Toyotaro should already do the entire thing. Honestly since the beginning of Super I always thought Toriyama isn't even trying. Things like Roshi and Ten in the tournament instead of Goten and Trunks are his doing. Toyotaro has fixed some things like Goku and Vegeta absorbing the god power even in base form (hence you would have Vegeta beating Gotenks ss3 without effort in the anime).

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 am

Namz wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:Good to see the manga is fixing the travesty and disrespect for characters and known power scale that the anime has done. Toriyama gives suggestions, changes things and proof reads Toyotaros manga before it finalized. This is the true canon of Super.

It's not enough. Toyotaro should already do the entire thing. Honestly since the beginning of Super I always thought Toriyama isn't even trying. Things like Roshi and Ten in the tournament instead of Goten and Trunks are his doing. Toyotaro has fixed some things like Goku and Vegeta absorbing the god power even in base form (hence you would have Vegeta beating Gotenks ss3 without effort in the anime).
Leaving the kids out made sense it terms of maturity,stakes and dicipline. But how they over powered Roshi was horrible. For mind numb kids it may have looked cool. But for those who cared about the series it was just bad. I hope the manga keeps what he does in the tournament strategy based. Not going toe to toe with Frost. And over powering U4 strongest fighter.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:54 am

JulianStyles wrote:
Namz wrote:

Leaving the kids out made sense it terms of maturity,stakes and dicipline. But how they over powered Roshi was horrible. For mind numb kids it may have looked cool. But for those who cared about the series it was just bad. I hope the manga keeps what he does in the tournament strategy based. Not going toe to toe with Frost. And over powering U4 strongest fighter.
He didn’t go toe-to-toe with Frost and didn’t overpower Ganos.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 am

That's younger Uub right? Carrying a kid. How old was Uub in the tournament?

I have a feeling he'll have a prominent part in the not so distant future. I hope we go beyond EoZ

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:30 am

mute_proxy wrote:That's younger Uub right? Carrying a kid. How old was Uub in the tournament?

I have a feeling he'll have a prominent part in the not so distant future. I hope we go beyond EoZ
He looks about the same age as he is in EoZ
And he actually gets dialogue? Or is that Dende narrating?

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:47 am

mute_proxy wrote:That's younger Uub right? Carrying a kid. How old was Uub in the tournament?

Where can I check out the full chapter?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 am

OLKv3 wrote: He looks about the same age as he is in EoZ
And he actually gets dialogue? Or is that Dende narrating?
He looks shorter and chubbier, in EoZ he a bit taller and skinny. We're still a few years back
IM21 wrote:
Where can I check out the full chapter?
I found it on some Korean page, can't tell :shh:

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:33 am

Yes, that’s Oob, obviously. He was ten years old at the tournament but at this point, he’s around 6. But Oob will obviously be prominent but after the ending of the manga.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 am

Although it is nice to see Uub and that Toyotaro respected his actual height (he does seem to be smaller than his appearance in 28º World Tournament), it takes away the mysterious sensation about: who's the one Goku is talking about?

People who didn't read the last chapter yet should skip this chapter, or the pages Uub appear.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 am

I dont see any worth for Uub anymore. Goku has reached the level of GoD's. Him training Uub really wont change the Status Qou. AT BEST even Uub comes to the level of the Gods. Then what? We already saw like almost no Universe comes close to the level of even Piccolo.. much less someone like Goku...

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:06 am

Was Uub mentioned in any of the previous Super manga chapters as he was in the anime before the U6 tournament? I don't remember. If not, then the manga does pretty well keeping consistency in this case, Vegeta not knowing about Uub in the EoZ and all.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 am

mute_proxy wrote:Was Uub mentioned in any of the previous Super manga chapters as he was in the anime before the U6 tournament? I don't remember. If not, then the manga does pretty well keeping consistency in this case, Vegeta not knowing about Uub in the EoZ and all.
Nope he wasn't, but it still messes with consistency because Dende was just as shocked as everyone else when Goku fought Oob. Only Goku and Piccolo knew the truth about Oob in the final chapters.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:18 am

Interesting, Geekdom pointed out something I forgot.

When 18 came to after the Cell Games, she had no memory of what happened. She was completely knockout the entire time. Yet, 17 supposedly remembered everything, including the sound of Goku's voice and 16's speech to Gohan. This may be an oversight on Toyo's part, he has made this kind of mistake before, but I will wait for the full chapter before I decide.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:19 am

OLKv3 wrote: Nope he wasn't, but it still messes with consistency because Dende was just as shocked as everyone else when Goku fought Oob. Only Goku and Piccolo knew the truth about Oob in the final chapters.
Yeah I know that's the case, but Dende being shocked could be explained as him being surprised that Uub was able to keep up against Goku :think: oh well, still better than what the anime did :roll:
HeroR wrote:Interesting, Geekdom pointed out something I forgot.

When 18 came to after the Cell Games, she had no memory of what happened. She was completely knockout the entire time. Yet, 17 supposedly remembered everything, including the sound of Goku's voice and 16's speech to Gohan. This may be an oversight on Toyo's part, he has made this kind of mistake before, but I will wait for the full chapter before I decide.
I can't find anything indicating she had no memory being inside Cell in the manga. Not sure about the anime. After she woke up, she was surprised to find out that Gohan defeated Cell (he did it while she was unconscious on the ground), that's all, nothing about her time during being absorbed. So Toyo isn't really contradicting anything is he?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:34 am

I'm fine with Uub being shown/mentioned in new material. With the existence of all these Gods and such there's no need to keep Uub such a mystery. If anything, this improves the original manga because I rather Majin Buu not be THAT important that ten years after his defeat he's still that big of a deal. There's other factors for Goku wanting to train Uub that I'm sure we'll get into, and not just because at the time the Buu arc was the last arc Toriyama wrote.

I also like that Toyo put in a legit film version of Mr Satan kicking Cell's ass. Not only does it visually look more funny but it makes way more sense in universe. Satan is a rich man and beloved by the world. He would make sure a film studio would make a visually great film adaption of him saving the world.