Super retelling BOG and ROF

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:36 am

DisapprovingOwl wrote:
bleed0range wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:Not gonna lie. I really, really wouldn't mind if they changed (or outright get rid of) the SSJG ritual. Thought it was pretty dumb even in context.
Yeah, I agree. I'd rather it just be changed entirely. Never liked the way he achieves SSJ God.
In fairness, neither did Goku! = P

Whatever you think about the ritual itself, I really liked that aspect of it - that Goku was actually pretty disgruntled that he hadn't been able to achieve this power by himself. Made for an interesting dynamic, as he got quite angry about it and seemed to channel some of that into his fight with Beerus.

If they do change the requirement to achieve Super Saiyan God in this version of events, I hope they still manage to keep that aspect somehow...
Main reason I don't want the SSG ritual gone is because what follows next adds to Goku's characterization (though him REFUSING to take part in the ritual and let someone else do it, would be equally as effective).

But at least add some restrictions like beings with Godly Ki not being able to participate in the ritual anymore, or something.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:54 am

Bullza wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:They use the Dragon Balls then it create a plot hole. The Dragon Balls most likely would take another year for them to be used again.
The Dragon Balls are definitely there, according to the Episode 4 title. If Videl is pregnant, it means that it takes place 4 years after Boo, and the promotional info were wrong again.
So we'd be looking at a 3-4 and a half year time skip between episode 2 and 3?
No, having a time skip that large for Beerus to go home and remember Super Saiyan God after having it right on the tip of his tongue last episode, as Well as Bluma wanting to throw a party on a boat in episode 2 and only getting to it years later, would be ridiculous. If Videl ends up being pregnant in the next few episodes, it would mean that either most of the 10 year gap material has been been shifted forward a few years, or the series wasn't actually 6 months after Buu from the beginning.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:05 am

Did they say how much time had passed since Buu in the first episode of Super?

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:14 am

Bullza wrote:Did they say how much time had passed since Buu in the first episode of Super?
They referenced the wish that made the public forget Buu as happening six months ago - with a note afterwards that "some time has passed since then", or words to that effect.

This is why I'm puzzled every time someone says the series is taking place exactly six months post-Buu - clearly at least a little more time than that has passed, as the opening narration says so! As to how much, no specific figure's been given as far as I know. If Videl is indeed pregnant as in Battle of Gods, I'd imagine the first arc of Super must be set around the same time as the original film version of events - although this would raise questions as to why Vegeta took his sweet time making good on his promise to Trunks! = S

Really, nobody knows at the moment - hopefully something in the series itself will clarify things a bit at some point in the future.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:19 am

DisapprovingOwl wrote:Really, nobody knows at the moment - hopefully something in the series itself will clarify things a bit at some point in the future.
It's a bit strange. We always get a timeframe for how much time has passed after a timeskip. It's only GT, that neglected that(in the Funi dub 10 years since EoZ, in the original 5 years according to Perfect Files).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:58 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:They use the Dragon Balls then it create a plot hole. The Dragon Balls most likely would take another year for them to be used again.
The Dragon Balls are definitely there, according to the Episode 4 title. If Videl is pregnant, it means that it takes place 4 years after Boo, and the promotional info were wrong again.
I thought the first episode said that 6 months have pass since Buu. That would mean the Dragon Balls and Videl pregnant are major plot holes now if it's 6 months after Buu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:03 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
I thought the first episode said that 6 months have pass since Buu. That would mean the Dragon Balls and Videl pregnant are major plot holes now if it's 6 months after Buu.
It's said that the first episode takes place "some time" after the wish was made. The wish was made six months after Boo was defeated, so it's really hard to tell when the first episode takes place. Although, I really don't think it was too long afterwards.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:06 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I thought the first episode said that 6 months have pass since Buu.
The episode said that 6 months after Boo's death, they gathered the DBs to erase the memories of Boo from the Earthlings, and that some time has passed since then, and the episode begins. It's the promotional material which said that the first episode takes place 6 months after Boo's death, but they also said that Gohan & Videl are about to get married, while it turned out that they are already married.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:06 pm

If they are going to retell ROF then what about the scenes of Hell? Kai had the filler scene of Freeza, Cell, Dr. Gero, King Cold, the Ginyu Force and Babidi watching Goku fight Kid Buu. The scene in ROF with Freeza in a cocoon was cool since we never saw Toriyama's take on Hell. Besides Freeza being a Cyborg after death make sense given that Dr. Gero didn't return back to human after he died. Having Freeza keep his 4th form in Hell never made any sense to me.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:08 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If they are going to retell ROF then what about the scenes of Hell? Kai had the filler scene of Freeza, Cell, Dr. Gero, King Cold, the Ginyu Force and Babidi watching Goku fight Kid Buu. The scene in ROF with Freeza in a cocoon was cool since we never saw Toriyama's take on Hell. Besides Freeza being a Cyborg after death make sense given that Dr. Gero didn't return back to human after he died. Having Freeza keep his 4th form in Hell never made any sense to me.
Toriyama will just ignore the filler, like he always did. The anime has filler lines about dead people being immortal, then has manga lines about dead people getting erased from existence if they die again.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:21 pm

The episode said that 6 months after Boo's death, they gathered the DBs to erase the memories of Boo from the Earthlings, and that some time has passed since then, and the episode begins.
So then Super could take place the same amount of time after Buu as Battle of Gods did then? So like 5 years was it after Buu?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Bullza wrote:
The episode said that 6 months after Boo's death, they gathered the DBs to erase the memories of Boo from the Earthlings, and that some time has passed since then, and the episode begins.
So then Super could take place the same amount of time after Buu as Battle of Gods did then? So like 5 years was it after Buu?
Yes. If Videl is pregnant, we get confirmation that it takes place at the same time as BoG did, which is 4 years after Boo's death.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:45 pm

So Pan was 5 during EoZ?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:15 pm

Bullza wrote:So Pan was 5 during EoZ?
She was 4, but apparently would turn 5 that year.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:11 pm

So is it confirmed that super is a retelling of BoG and RF???

If so then wow thats really disappointing....what a bad idea.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:20 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Yes. If Videl is pregnant, we get confirmation that it takes place at the same time as BoG did, which is 4 years after Boo's death.
As stated the last time you said this a ways up the page, Videl being pregnant is not an absolute confirmation of any sort. Not with the way Toriyama has been retconning things these days.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:38 pm

Shinsa wrote:So is it confirmed that super is a retelling of BoG and RF???

Not just a retelling. Only the first two arcs are going to be retellings. After that, everything's new. Besides, the retellings will be new themselves in a way.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:49 pm

I've never seen the Super Saiya-jin God stage as a direct follow-up Super Saiya-jin transformation building up on the previous one in a perfect sequence - Super Saiya-jin, Super Saiya-jin Dai Ni Dankai, Super Saiya-jin Dai San Dankai, Super Saiya-jin Full Power, Super Saiya-jin 2, Super Saiya-jin 3 -, but rather a different, separate and parallel event and stage achieved through a different method. The whole atmosphere in BoG lacked the seriousness, despair and drama of DB's Piccolo Daimao and Piccolo Jr. arcs and all of DBZ's arcs, and in that setting I've always viewed the ritual to achieve the Super Saiya-jin God stage as a rather inoffensive and over-friendly way to basically have the Saiya-jin as a race be put in a different light when compared to the blood-thirsty, savage, violent characteristics they display throughout the Saiya-jin and Freeza arcs, through the introduction of the concept of "good-hearted" Saiya-jin back on Planet Vegeta, fitting the movie's environment.

I do hope they change the ritual, or have the ritual itself be replaced by another method to achieve the stage - which has the potential of turning it into a proper direct follow-up of the other Super Saiya-jin transformations building up on the previous one.

Regarding Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin, I view it as a slight improvement on the Super Saiya-jin God stage, keeping all of its advantages and adding some further Ki and the typical fighting abilities and tension typical of the Super Saiya-jin state(s), more than a mere "mastering" of the form or a Super Saiya-jin transformation building up on a Saiya-jin's state of mastery over the Super Saiya-jin God's stage, which is the explanation Goku provides in Fukkatsu no F, which, as he says it himself, is "a little complex and hard to grasp".

I'm well over the (at first) unpleasant fact that after going through the process of annexing BoG and Fukkatsu no F to the direct sequence of events in DBZ's timeline we now have to look at those movies as non-canon, as in, they never "happened". It's been thoroughly discussed before. We're basically going to have the same characters and events - Beerus, Whis, Super Saiya-jin God Goku, Freeza's resurrection, Golden Freeza, Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin Goku, Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin Vegeta - be introduced almost with no change to the setting and even picking up on some of the exact lines from BoG, as we've already seen in the first 2 episodes of DBSuper and know for a fact will happen in the next 3 episodes, with Beerus crashing a party, Goku fighting Beerus on Kaiou-sama's planet, etc., although at a different timing and in slightly different circumstances. They could have chosen not to go this road and just keep BoG and Fukkatsu no F they way they are, but I guess Toriyama realized the immense potential of Beerus, Whis and the concept of Super Saiya-jin God had and decided to make a series-long version of the movie(s), expanding on the stories, building up a proper atmosphere and introducing everyone and everything at the right pace, without the time restrictions typical of a movie, even a longer one like BoG.

It might be seen as disappointing to have two entire arcs and quite a large chunk of DBSuper's first episodes - after these first two smooth family-focused ones, as a means to reintroduce the characters in a proper setting after the Majin Buu arc - depict characters who we already know and to whom we have already been introduced in BoG and Fukkatsu no F, but even for the ones who can't get over that fact, I'm sure that before we know it, taking into account the fast pace at which they are moving forward with the story - we'll get entirely new events, characters and insanely powerful antagonists/villains be introduced after the Beerus and Freeza arcs, in the 6th Universe arc. I don't really mind the direction they took, although it might have come as a little bit of a shock when I first learned about it as the news, leaks and info on DBSuper's plot, arcs and storyline became available. I pretty much welcome anything Toriyama throws our way with open arms and the degree to which I was hyped before the series' debut, during its debut and at this point as well is pretty high, and will remain so, or even increase, particularly as we approach the 6th Universe arc.

I can't wait for them to explore on off-screen events which happened between BoG and Fukkatsu no F either, namely Goku's and Vegeta's decision to train with Whis, Freeza's 4-month training and Goku's and Vegeta's reaching the Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin stage, which I see as a slight improvement on the Super Saiya-jin God stage, adding the natural fighting violence and tension typical of the Super Saiya-jin stages to it and most likely increasing the level of power by a little bit, while keeping all of the Super Saiya-jin God's advantages (ability to sense godly Ki, massive increase in power, making others unable to sense their Ki). I'm not sure we'll actually get to see the exploration of every single one of those events which happened off-screen between BoG and Fukkatsu no F (especially Freeza's training and just how he managed to overcome such a huge gap in power between his previous forms and the levels of Ki Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Beerus and Whis have by the time of Fukkatsu no F), but it gets one hyped to anticipate just how Goku (and Vegeta) will reach their SSJG and SSJGSSJ stages, which will obviously need to be shown, fully explored and expanded upon.

What I am having trouble with is the fact that I've never liked the way DBZ ended, with those last 3 episodes, the last Tenkaichi Budokai and the introduction of Uub. On one hand, we get 10 years to explore, but whatever happens during the Beerus, Freeza and 6th Universe arcs will eventually and inevitably lead to that, and it just doesn't seem that by the time of the ending of DBZ they've gone through all of that. Maybe Toriyama will just go for another retcon, just like he did with BoG and Fukkatsu no F, and will have that last Tenkaichi Budokai and the introduction of Uub become non-canon.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:23 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Shinsa wrote:So is it confirmed that super is a retelling of BoG and RF???

Not just a retelling. Only the first two arcs are going to be retellings. After that, everything's new. Besides, the retellings will be new themselves in a way.
Well, considering the current pacing it's a slim chance new post-F stuff in Universe 6 could even start before 2016. If the plot of the series has only been prepped for 52 episodes then the retelling would fill half of the whole Gods arc

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:The 2008 Jump Special was pretty forgotten over the years anyways. It was the first time since the end of GT that we got something animated with Dragon Ball in 11 years and yet no one ever talks about it :lol: .
Probably because of its introduction of Tarble. Some fans kinda wanna forget that happened.
Well Tarble is better then most fan fic versions of Vegeta's brother. I guess fans wanted Tarble to be some badass and be rehash of Radditz.
She/Her