Super retelling BOG and ROF

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:44 pm

Basaku wrote:Well, considering the current pacing it's a slim chance new post-F stuff in Universe 6 could even start before 2016. If the plot of the series has only been prepped for 52 episodes then the retelling would fill half of the whole Gods arc
The manga has already started to show the beginnings of an original plotline. I wouldn't be surprised if the anime starts to do something similar.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:29 pm

How about the whole retelling concept is used for connecting more movies?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:38 pm

Cetra wrote:How about the whole retelling concept is used for connecting more movies?
Which ones?
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:44 pm

ParkerAL wrote:
Cetra wrote:How about the whole retelling concept is used for connecting more movies?
Which ones?
Some movies like with Cooler, Broly, Tapion and stuff.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Super_Vegetto

Post by Super_Vegetto » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 am

I think it is a good idea if they make some alterations and expand on some things like the ss god concept and the way it is achieved. They should expand more on "godly" ki and change the way Super Saiyan God is achieved. Having Tarbles instead of an unborn saiyan to be part of the ceremony would be better and make more sense.
I would rather have Shenron bestow this transformation than Pan being part of it. Shenron stated that a SSJG once appeared on Planet Vegeta to stop the evil saiyans, I'm sorry but what is an "evil" saiyan? To my knowledge there was no such as a pure hearted saiyan before Goku lost his memory. They should also clarify that.
SSJ2,3&4 live and will be better than anything you will come up with AT

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Cetra wrote:
ParkerAL wrote:
Which ones?
Some movies like with Cooler, Broly, Tapion and stuff.
Broly? No thank you. Tapion would be cool, iffy on Coola though. I do feel like Coola is overrated these days since he had nothing going for him besides his 5th form. He's not as overrated as Broli, but he is not as special as most fans make out to be. His brother had a lot of personality going for him and had a motivation to his actions. Besides I doubt any of the old DBZ movies will ever be reference if Toriyama is writing them. He considers them stories set in their own dimension. Not even the anime TV series in the 90's made any references to the old films expect for Dead Zone. Even the Garlic Jr saga was pretty much ignore later on expect for Maron showing up once and a while.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Focusing only on (major) villains from the 13 Movies, my favorites have always been Turles, Cooler, Brolly and Janenba. I've never been a fan on Tapion, myself (no more space for heroes when you've got an entire team of Saiya-jin/half-Saiya-jin hybrids/Namek-sei-jins forming the strongest set of warriors in the entire Unvierse). I can't speculate a scenario in which ANY character or stage seen only in the movies could be brought back and made canon in DBSuper, though. It's just too far-fetched a scenario.

Brolly is indeed by far the most overrated villain arising from the movies, especially when it comes to his power. Throughout the years I've seen DBZ fans going as far as estimating his power level to be close to that of Super Vegitto, which is laughable. That most likely, or almost certainly, has to do with the fact that he's a badass psychotic maniac with a number of particular physical/mental qualities which make him one of the fans' favorites. I've always looked at Cooler as a much more serious/to-the-point version of Freeza, without the whole glamour + terror surrounding the character. Even the tone of his voice, in comparison with Freeza's, gives the viewers that impression. He lacks some of the psychotic traits of Freeza but retains the same level of power (or, in fact, going a bit further than Freeza did, with a fifth brutal transformation).

The stories of the movies are in their majority weak to the point of reaching the borders of ridiculousness, but you couldn't expect much more from a set of hastily-invented stories exploring and expanding upon the concept of villains with some potential to them, which also happened to be made for commercial purposes, with a "striking while the iron is hot" mentality.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:27 pm

MaGyunia wrote: Brolly is indeed by far the most overrated villain arising from the movies, especially when it comes to his power. Throughout the years I've seen DBZ fans going as far as estimating his power level to be close to that of Super Vegitto, which is laughable.
Hardly. The dude one shotted an entire galaxy.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:30 pm

MaGyunia wrote: Brolly is indeed by far the most overrated villain arising from the movies, especially when it comes to his power. Throughout the years I've seen DBZ fans going as far as estimating his power level to be close to that of Super Vegitto, which is laughable.
And yet the Galaxy was still there when Goku visit there. Major plot hole!
She/Her

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:43 am

He was defeated by the combined powers of Super Saiya-jin Full Power Goku, Super Saiya-jin Dai Ni Dankai Vegeta, Super Saiya-jin Dai Ni Dankai Trunks, Super Saiya-jin Gohan and post-fusion Piccolo, and Movie 8 is supposed to have taken place (although it didn't) in the 10 year gap between the announcement of the Cell Games and the Cell Games themselves, which suggests that the level of power Goku and the others have is around what they have in that period. If he had been anywhere close to Super Vegitto he could never have been defeated by ANY combination of powers from the Cell Games period. He appears again in Movie 10 and is shown to surpass what would be an adult Gohan who is at that time slightly weaker as a Super Saiya-jin 2 than he was when he thrashed Cell. Both Goku and Vegeta as Super Saiya-jin 2 throughout the Majin Buu arc far surpass even teen Gohan's level of power (stated by Piccolo, as he watches Majin Vegeta vs fat Majin Buu), Super Saiya-jin 3 Gohan/Ultimate Gohan surpass SSJ2 Goku and Vegeta, and Super Vegitto is about twice as strong as SSJ3 Goku/Ultimate Gohan. Brolly is nowhere near the leagues of Vegitto, or in fact of a number of fighters throughout the Majin Buu arc. He's a badass and goes around destroying entire galaxies in bursts of psychosis with what APPEARS to be an immeasurable and invincible amount of power, but things need to be put into perspective and we have the tools to reason and compare his power. Piccolo Daimao was the incarnation of evil and a major psychotic badass without any trace of good or sanity in him and he turns out to be a weakling when compared to even the weakest fighters as early as the Saiya-jin saga.

I would estimate Super Saiya-jin Brolly (and Bio Brolly, for that matter) to be in tier of Cell in his perfect stage, before he received his Zenkai after the massive explosion and came back.

Doesn't mean I'm not a fan of him. He's pretty much the incarnation of the concept of invincibility in a villain. He doesn't want to conquer, doesn't want to rule, he can barely talk, he's an insane psychotic force of nature who happens to be the legendary Super Saiya-jin, going around breaking and destroying everything and everyone in sight and laughing maniacally after he does it, which suits me just fine when it comes to the character/personality + power level combo in a villain. I remember being a child in the 90's and - being a hardcore fan of Goku and the others, as any child/teenager was - literally crying over their inability to even hurt him.

The particular purpose to make a movie around Brolly was to explore the specific aspect of the REAL legendary Super Saiya-jin, and as a result of that Movie 8 arguably turned out to be one of the best movies from the 13 of DBZ.

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:54 am

Are they planning on making more movies in the future, I wonder?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:49 am

Blackstripe wrote:Are they planning on making more movies in the future, I wonder?
I doubt they won't cause of how well the last 2 did.

The real question is,will they be original movies like Z's 13 or retelling of Super's arcs like DB's and the last 2 Z movies ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Blackstripe wrote:Are they planning on making more movies in the future, I wonder?
Of course they will make more Dragon ball movies. My question is, Will the future movies be like the old DBZ movies, just events that happen that don't affect the plot or will they be like BOG/ROF and be made into seasons in Super?

or will they be more akin to "Path of Power"? cause I love that movie and wouldn't mind it.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 pm

I'd say there's a 50-50% chance of making movies WHILE DBSuper is running. It all depends on how many episodes the series will consist of, and consequently for how much time (months, years) it will run. However, after DBSuper is done with, and taking into account the fact that all of a sudden they started throwing movies and specials and new material our way beginning in 2008 after 11 years of absolute inactivity, I think it's almost certain that more movies will be made; the only question is whether the events depicted in them will be canon or not, we really can't be sure especially after they unexpectedly decided to "decanonize" both BoG and Fukkatsu no F just two years and a few months, respectively, after they were released as canon continuations of DBZ. I'm also positive that a few years from now we'll eventually get yet another series as well. Dragonball' potential is virtually limitless, it just won't end. The timing of the storyline of said future series will depend on exactly when (in Dragonball's Universe and timeline) DBSuper as a story will end, and that would eventually and inevitably lead us to the whole "retconning the last three episodes of DBZ" all over again; but I'd say let's just focus on what we have in our hands right now (for those disappointed with the pace at which we're moving on with the Beerus arc and desperately waiting for the real entirely new material, you'll just have to be patient and suck it up until the 6th Universe arc starts, but even before then there'll be PLENTY of stuff to enjoy, some of which we've already seen in the movie(s) and some of which will be totally new and unexpected).

I honestly think that although the period of inactivity between 1997 and 2008 was only partially deliberate, as Toriyama and friends needed some time off of constantly coming up with creative concepts and character backgrounds, it was also partially meant to function as a clear division between the target audience the first DB/DBZ/DBGT was directed towards back in the 80's and 90's and what could be called "Dragonball: round 2", aiming at both the old audiences who grew up with the series decades ago and reaching new ones as well, which is the stage of the process we're at right now.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:14 pm

For a new movie, they can do a post-DBZ setting movie or doing another Path of Power movie where they retell the original DB with a new take.
She/Her

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:43 pm

I would like if they made three movies retelling the GT sagas. Fleshing them out a little better.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:36 pm

sintzu wrote:
I doubt they won't cause of how well the last 2 did.

The real question is,will they be original movies like Z's 13 or retelling of Super's arcs like DB's and the last 2 Z movies ?
I think they may skip ahead of Super and tell a future arc that Super has planned and when Super comes to it, it will retell it like BoG and "F".

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Draconic wrote:
I would like if they made three movies retelling the GT sagas. Fleshing them out a little better.
I don't see how the movies could flesh out what happened in the TV show. I mean, for extents and purposes, the story was fleshed out in the original anime as much as it could. Retelling them in movies would actually greatly condense and constrict how much the story can be expanded.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:55 pm

I keep saying this, but I would absolutely LOVE something official showcasing Goku's adventures with Oob. Even though I would much rather have a series, a movie would definitely be nice.

A movie showing some of the events of Dragon Ball Online would be pretty cool, too. I just really want to get out of the Boo era (as much as I love it) for the next movie.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:54 pm

I still doubt any characters from DBZ Movies 1-13 will show off like Broli, Coola and Tapion. They are from movies that are over 20 years old. Most kids and casual TV watchers most likely have no idea who are they. I think it would be rather confusing if Broli just show up out of nowhere in Super.
She/Her