Super retelling BOG and ROF

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:55 am

90sDBZ wrote:I think this is a pretty pointless idea. I haven't yet seen RoF, but BoG is a great movie that doesn't need a remake. Sure it has its flaws with the inconsistent tone, but it still deserves to stand as its own thing. Now it's like they're going the route of DB movies 1-4, with 2 versions of the same story arcs. I'm not usually one to obsess over canon, but this really is going to cause all sorts of confusion among the more casual fans. I mean BoG was supposed to be Toriyama's extension of the Manga. It, along with RoF, are still really new and are already been retconed from the Toriyama-verse. At the very least this could be there chance to make things connect to GT better although I wouldn't hold my breath.
I swear, I see this "everywhere" in on forum: Oh this was such a bad idea BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE SOOOOOO CONFUSED. Honestly, if they're really that casual, I don't think they're going to care. Like, at all. If you've seen the movies it's pretty self-explanitory that they're going about BOG in a different way, and if you haven't--well then it doesn't matter.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 am

I swear, I see this "everywhere" in on forum
That's because it's a valid point. Battle of Gods is a new film and it was believed by almost everyone to be canon. Now people are going to watch it and wonder why they're retelling things.

If they do the same with RoF then it could mean the story is going to be retold before the actual movie gets to a lot of countries.

It's just unnecessary confusion. There's plenty of people here confused about what's actually being done so how are the casual fans going to think.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:44 pm

Honestly, I think you need to give people a little bit more credit than that.

And considering the fact that there has always been a precedent for the movies to play with canon, I think they'll be alright.

That, and I don't think they care as much as you think they do.

Gianchio
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gianchio » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:41 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:All this final battles are full of plot-twists, now lets look to Freeza final battle arc:

- Goku fights Freeza. Freeza keeps having the upper hand.
- Goku starts the Genkidama. (Freeza barely does anything at first and is just looking at him).
- Piccolo buys time. Krillin and Gohan help too in the end.
- Genkidama is ready and hits Freeza.
- Freeza survives and kills Krillin.
- Goku becomes ssj.

- Both fight. Goku wins.

I put the plot-twists in bold.
I disagree.

- Goku arrives to the battlefield. Freeza kills Vegeta.
- Goku fights Freeza. They seem to be on par.
- Freeza says he's using less than 50% of his power.
- Goku uses the Kaiohkenx20.
- It does nothing on Freeza.
- Goku starts the Genkidama(Freeza barely does anything at first and is just looking at him).
- Piccolo buys time. Krillin and Gohan help too in the end.
- Genkidama is ready and hits Freeza.
- Freeza survives and kills Krillin.
- Goku becomes ssj.

- Goku dominates Freeza.
- Freeza tries to destroy Planet Namek but fails.
- Freeza starts using 100% of his power and the fight is more balanced.
- Guru comes back to life and everyone is teleported to Planet Earth.
- Goku takes the advantage.
- Goku quits the fight.
- Frieza cuts himself in half.
- Goku helps Freeza.
- Goku defeats Freeza after his attack.
- Goku survives.

A lot of things happen in this fight, more than in the others.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:30 pm

I feel a bit mixed about this. I'm excited to see retellings of the movies, but at the same time it kind of ruins the movies themselves. I guess it really just depends on how much they change the stories.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:53 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I feel a bit mixed about this. I'm excited to see retellings of the movies, but at the same time it kind of ruins the movies themselves. I guess it really just depends on how much they change the stories.
I don't think it will necessarily ruin the movies, they'll just be considered condensed version of the story, like the Manga is to the Anime and if Super's adaption of them isn't good then we have the movies there, so it is a win win situation really.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:09 pm

It seems more like the events will be expanded upon as they are readapted. BOG is only 5 episodes long when spliced up, but Beerus will apparently remember Super Saiyan God in Episode 3, but his first battle with Goku won't be until Episode 5 based on the titles.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:16 pm

It seems like all this concern about what's canon and what's not is people overthinking the shit out of everything. I take it most of you guys would have nightmares having to follow North American comic franchises.

Multiple tellings of a story don't cancel each other out. They're just that - different interpretations. You're not going to be forced to stop watching Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:24 pm

The good thing about this is that there is the chance to have more consistency & explain things more, like:
  • Remove the scene where Mr. Satan doesn't know who Dende is.
  • Fix Bulma's & Mai's ages.
  • Fix Shenlong's wishes.
  • Explain better how Super Saiyan God, Saiyan beyond God, and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan work, and how they work with SS/2/3.
  • Explain how Gohan's Ultimate works with Super Saiyan.
  • Explain how sensing a god's ki works. Why can Dende or Kaio be sensed, while Beerus & Whis can't for example?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:33 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:The good thing about this is that there is the chance to have more consistency & explain things more, like:
  • Fix Shenlong's wishes.
  • Explain better how Super Saiyan God, Saiyan beyond God, and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan work, and how they work with SS/2/3.
  • Explain how sensing a god's ki works. Why can Dende or Kaio be sensed, while Beerus & Whis can't for example?
I'd personally remove Vegeta's rage boost, change the requirements to get SSG, show Freeza's training and explain Shisami's strength while I'm at it.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:38 pm

I don't know guys, I am still confused about the people.... It's like everything have remake nowadays. Yamato 2199 for example, outside of the modern-anime clichés, I adored it.
Retelling of the last two movies and integrating them into wider picture with a full fledged series? Hell yes!
Who would be confused by reworked movie with more backstory and connection?
I think it is just butt-hurt folks, who are angry that they won't get their ''brand-new hardcore'' series or after the End of Z series.

DC Comics for example is such a huge mess, that if you want some coherent story, you have to follow up fan made chronological charts and even then it's hard to get oriented, with parallel universes also and since DC launched the New 52...
That is what I call confusing. Hopefully, I am an ''old man'' now, born in the time without the ''pitchy-pitchy'' internet and everything was awesome! We had LEGO, Star Wars, Cable TV with animated shows and action series, lots of toys,
going out doing dangerous stuff and later drinking and smoking secretly and other things, that I can't tell you here because you will get disoriented...
I have the impression that everyone sits down at home and has loads of time to make nitpicking on children TV shows and being angry, because he doesn't have anything else to do.
And I am doing the same right now, oh, how I have fallen... Please, ban, stay away, stay awayyyyy... *pshoo* *pshoo*
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:03 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:It seems like all this concern about what's canon and what's not is people overthinking the shit out of everything. I take it most of you guys would have nightmares having to follow North American comic franchises.
I don't see how people do it... :?
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:09 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:It seems like all this concern about what's canon and what's not is people overthinking the shit out of everything. I take it most of you guys would have nightmares having to follow North American comic franchises.
The funniest thing about this is that if Mark had not shut off my ire, this would have worked just fine. Not for taking the American comics thing as a challenge, but because the comics in question are so disposable between relaunches and too much inter-book overlap that I can pick one up at random and read it without a care; I don't care about the details, so I just read the damn thing because odds are what is actually happening is nothing earth-shattering. While Dragon Ball is one series by one guy, thus an order of events actually matters, given that there are only a handful of key events in these two movies that really have happen, so it goes with Super. I repent!
MCDaveG wrote: I have the impression that everyone sits down at home and has loads of time to make nitpicking on children TV shows and being angry, because he doesn't have anything else to do.
And I am doing the same right now, oh, how I have fallen... Please, ban, stay away, stay awayyyyy... *pshoo* *pshoo*
Get outta the pit!

That's the curse of subject forum, really.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:The good thing about this is that there is the chance to have more consistency & explain things more, like:
  • Fix Shenlong's wishes.
I'd personally remove Vegeta's rage boost, change the requirements to get SSG, show Freeza's training and explain Shisami's strength while I'm at it.
Oh yeah, I was gonna mention these as well.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:26 pm

I'd personally make neither of the movies ever happen :)

But if I had to change things, it'd be:
  • Get rid of Vegeta's bogus 'rage boost' :?
  • Get rid of this "Gohan lost his Ultimate and can go Super Saiyan!!1!1" nonsense.
  • fix the other inconsistencies DBZGTKOSDH mentioned.
  • Have a direct statement or feat showing Gotenks/Gohan being superior to Goku to end of all of these debates that include Goku, for some reason, lying about not being able to beat Evil Boo.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:11 pm

If BOG now happens six months after Buu before then how will Goku become a Super Saiyan God now? They need the the power of six pure-hearted Saiyans and Pan won't be born for another 10 years. I guess they will retcon her age at the end of DBZ now or do something crazy like wish Radditz back to life as a good guy.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If BOG now happens six months after Buu
Is this what the time frame for Super is? So Gohan's still 16 (or 17)... and he's getting married..?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:26 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If BOG now happens six months after Buu
Is this what the time frame for Super is? So Gohan's still 16 (or 17)... and he's getting married..?
What can you do about young love? :P

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Gohan is physically 18 at this point and Videl is likely 18 or 19, so it's not so bad in terms of age. I only have a problem with it if they are still actually in school. If they managed to graduate early or whatever, let them have at it. They're never going to hurt for money or anything, because Satan is loaded and will always make sure his daughter never has to struggle with such things (as shown by him already building them a house).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

bubibartra
Beyond Newbie

Post by bubibartra » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:23 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:I'd personally make neither of the movies ever happen :)

But if I had to change things, it'd be:
  • Get rid of Vegeta's bogus 'rage boost' :?
  • Get rid of this "Gohan lost his Ultimate and can go Super Saiyan!!1!1" nonsense.
  • fix the other inconsistencies DBZGTKOSDH mentioned.
  • Have a direct statement or feat showing Gotenks/Gohan being superior to Goku to end of all of these debates that include Goku, for some reason, lying about not being able to beat Evil Boo.

"nobody hurts my Bulma" was te best moment of BoG xD

get rid the bngo please....
Favorite Character: Vegeta
Seconds favorites caracteres:Goku , Piccolo
Previously I like: Kid Gohan
I do not like: Adult Gohan
I hope more: Trunks and Goten
I claim for: A girlfriend and a happy life for Yamcha. Women SSJ
Hate: Send all women to take care of children, including A18.
Need more of: Ten Sin Han