Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 am

That's the joint second lowest rating Super has ever achieved. :|

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 am

Lord Beerus wrote:That's the joint second lowest rating Super has ever achieved. :|
Which one was the lowest rated episode?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 31, 2017 10:09 am

Chuquita wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:That's the joint second lowest rating Super has ever achieved. :|
The lowest rated episode of Super is Episode 23 (Ressurection F retelling), which scored an 4.7. The second lowest rated episode of Super is Episode 26 (Ressurection F retelling... again), which scored an 4.9. Conversely, the highest rated episode of Super was Episode 47, which is, you guessed it, the first episode of the Future Trunks arc. It scored an 8.4.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed May 31, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 31, 2017 10:47 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
The lowest rated episode of Super is Episode 23 (Ressurection F retelling), which scored an 4.7. The second lowest rated episode of Super is Episode 26 (Ressurection F retelling... again), which scored an 4.9. Conversely, the highest rated episode Super of Super was Episode 47, which is, you guessed it, the first episode of the Future Trunks arc. It scored an 8.4.
Thank you!

The lowest being in the F arc makes sense. Super started so soon after the F movie came out people were Freeza'd out.

People are tired of waiting for the tournament to start, that's my theory. They're tuning out temporarily the same way they do One Piece when it's in filler.

It's good to know the Future Trunks arc's start has the highest score. That arc's beginning was strong and had a sense of mystery. I had a lot of fun theorizing during that arc.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Wed May 31, 2017 11:19 am

Anything going on in Japan that might of contributed to the widespread lower ratings?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed May 31, 2017 3:51 pm

I also don't like a rating of 4.9% but some people should stop being overdramatic.
It's always the same every week, even though most shows also get lower ratings and DBS still keeps its position in top 10 for almost 2 years.
Totamo wrote: The problem is we are still basically in filler and everyone knows it.
Everyone that doesn't know what filler is maybe.
Totamo wrote: But if this keeps happening, I can see them doing some really desperate moves.
Relly desperate moves?! Like what?! DB is making more money than One Piece.
SSJ YUSUKE wrote:My god people are so damn stupid,if you are under 12 I could perhaps understand that you don't know how to analyse data but I will teach you people a lesson in basic math, there was a general downward trend in all anime that week. One Piece went from a 7.6 to a 6.2, that's 1.4 decrease and went down from 3rd to 5th, comparatively Dragonball Super had a 0.5 decrease going from a 5.4 to a 4.9 yet remained in it's Usual place. Sazae San the Highest rated show went from a 12.6 to a 9.9 that's a 2.7 decrease. What we can extrapolate from the data with which we are presented is that in general fewer people overall were watching TV that week, that is all, content is irrelevant and with regards to Dragonball the slight decrease as compared to other shows suggests that it isn't losing a significant amount of viewership considering that it has remained more or less in the same position in the rating for the past 2 years!!!
Stupid doesn't cover it anymore. Some people have been reaching worrying low levels of intelligence, so "stupid" just comes out as a praise when talking about them nowadays.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed May 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Yedis wrote:Anything going on in Japan that might have contributed to the widespread lower ratings?
I'd say this question is far more relevant than trying to find a cause by looking at what Super specifically is doing. As long as its regular 7th place persists, there's not that much to worry about there. And I'll ask the same thing: Was there anything going on in Japan to cause this?
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed May 31, 2017 4:25 pm

Is Dragonball officially streamed online in Japan like it is in the west with Crunchyroll or FUNi's website, etc?

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed May 31, 2017 5:52 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Totamo wrote: But if this keeps happening, I can see them doing some really desperate moves.
Relly desperate moves?! Like what?! DB is making more money than One Piece.
Lol, yeah. And i'm sure they're desperate about being consistently the 5th-8th most watched anime every week for 2 years.
perucho1990 wrote:That and BNHA should be back in the Top 10, maybe threat DBS spot, because the upcoming BNHA episode is being heavily hyped in Japan, even Horikoshi(the mangaka) said that the episode was so amazing that he cried.
No, it won't, that's not how ratings work. A show that isn't even making the top 10 won't suddenly double its ratings in the middle of an arc because an author hyped it on twitter. BNHA is already at the limit of its popularity. Heck, Boruto was hyped as a new beginning for its franchise and we're not seeing it anywhere. I guess that, for some people, Studio Pierrot should be desperate for 5+ years already.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed May 31, 2017 6:14 pm

Chuquita wrote:
All the ratings for every episode are in the the original post of the thread. I update it every week.

Also it was episode 88 that got the worst rating at 4.4%.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 31, 2017 6:31 pm

Bullza wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
All the ratings for every episode are in the the original post of the thread. I update it every week.

Also it was episode 88 that got the worst rating at 4.4%.
I didn't realize the first post updated continuously (I remember the post editing time limit was changed semi-recently, I guess they changed it back.) that's very helpful to know. I'm curious to see how the ratings go for the rest of this arc.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 31, 2017 6:36 pm

The ratings will probably return to their 6+ average once the tournament starts. The ratings are still good right now and I'm sure DVR numbers are still good, it's just that some of the Super viewer base aren't tuning in live right now, potentially because things are movings slowly at the moment. It's just like how One Piece's ratings were lower than normal for awhile before picking back up recently.
Dragon Ball is not going to suddenly stop making tons of money just because the ratings are slightly lower during a build up period.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Chuquita wrote: I didn't realize the first post updated continuously (I remember the post editing time limit was changed semi-recently, I guess they changed it back.) that's very helpful to know. I'm curious to see how the ratings go for the rest of this arc.
No, the edit function has not been changed back to indefinite editing, however topic creators can change their opening posts indefinitely, because they figured it would be best that way.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Dragon Ball Super - TV Ratings for episode 93
1. Sazae - 11.3%
2. Crayon Shin-chan - 8.7%
3. Doraemon - 7.3%
4. Chibi Maruko-chan - 7.1%
5. One Piece - 6.2%
6. Dragon Ball Super - 5.6%
7. Detective Conan - 5.2%
8. Go! Go! Chuggington - 3.3%
9. Shaun the sheep - 3.0%
10. My Hero Academia - 3.0%

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Nice! Back to normal we go.

I guess Brolli's power really is maximum, even if he isn't the one wielding it.

Unless everyone's back for Freeza. Or both.

Neither does anything for me, but I can't complain; Vegeta's back after all and Gokû was pretty clever when dealing with Freeza this past weekend.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:22 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Dragon Ball Super - TV Ratings for episode 93
1. Sazae - 11.3%
3. Doraemon - 7.3%
5. One Piece - 6.2%
How? BNHA featured probably the best fight of Anime 2017, it was one of the best animated fights in the industry since Gintoki/Takasuki, Saitama vs Boros and Meruem vs Netero.

That improvement in the DBS ratings should prove that fans were interested in Kale unlocking SSJ and Goku/Frieza conversation, those were the hooks for the episode.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:33 pm

perucho1990 wrote: How? BNHA featured probably the best fight of Anime 2017, it was one of the best animated fights in the industry since Gintoki/Takasuki, Saitama vs Boros and Meruem vs Netero.

That improvement in the DBS ratings should prove that fans were interested in Kale unlocking SSJ and Goku/Frieza conversation, those were the hooks for the episode.
Hey Gintoki V Kamui and Zura V Shoukaku were just as good if not better :lol: tho I'm surprised with BNHA as well, Deku V Todoroki was the most hyped up match in the tournament.... well at least it reached top 10.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:37 pm

BNHA won't reach top 5 unless a lot of shows just don't air that week. No matter how incredible the last episode may have been, the series is not popular enough to reach top 5.
Ratings only reflect popularity. They don't make a show worse/better.

It's already surprising BNHA is raping Boruto every week and season 1 beat Naruto Shippuden a couple of times, If I recall correctly.

It seems to be a cool show. I'm just waiting for season 2 end to finally jump to that. Hopefully it proves to deserves its hype.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:22 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:Dragon Ball Super - TV Ratings for episode 93
1. Sazae - 11.3%
3. Doraemon - 7.3%
5. One Piece - 6.2%
How? BNHA featured probably the best fight of Anime 2017, it was one of the best animated fights in the industry since Gintoki/Takasuki, Saitama vs Boros and Meruem vs Netero.

Was this todoroki versus midoriya? I mean it was animated well but the choreography was kind of eh. It's still a great fight due to its story though ! I freaking love mha. Imo it deserves to be just as popular as Dragonball and one piece.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:03 pm

kinisking wrote: Was this todoroki versus midoriya? I mean it was animated well but the choreography was kind of eh. It's still a great fight due to its story though ! I freaking love mha. Imo it deserves to be just as popular as Dragonball and one piece.
Yep.

The fight turned great for me the moment Deku got the offense on Todoroki, fight storytelling was very strong, my only nitpick was Endeavor ruining the momentum by wanting to cheer for his son.

Nakamura key animation was excellent as expected, he is probably the best in the industry (he also did key animation in Saitama vs Boros), even above Shida, Ootsuka imo.

Give BNHA a bit of time, and they could reach the 4s like Bleach did.

The DBS ratings are good imo if they are .5-1.0 from reaching OP ratings.