Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:16 pm

precita wrote:I can't see Super lasting 10 years.
Me too, I believe Super will end in the next year, we might get a hiatus after that, then a new series called 'Dragon Ball Ultra' will be announced in late 2019.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 pm

I can't see Super lasting 10 years. 5 maybe, but not 10. Toriyama will be in his early 70's a decade from now.
majinwarman wrote:
Michsi wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if this arc is facing some fatigue as it comes up on its 1-year anniversary, nor would I be surprised if they dip a bit more if Toei continues to hold off the Goku/Jiren rematch until the last possible minute. They'll most likely spike then, but you have to be careful stringing viewers along for too long or you run the risk that they won't come back.
I think it's already showing. Look at the episode thread, it barely reached 7 pages of discussion. A first since the TOP started I think. I know it was an average episode, but even average episodes used to get more attention/discussion than this.
I just wonder if people stop caring about more longer arcs in Super. At first, people were calling for them when they were only 15 to 20 episodes, but now people are getting bored of an arc that is nearing 50 episodes.
I think of it as a quantity vs plot importance thing. The longer an arc is the less likely any given episode may be important to the plot or contain a cool battle. It's easier for some to lose interest when the odds of fillersque episodes are higher.

I also think it's more difficult for Z pacing to fly with audiences nowadays compared to 20+ years ago.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Chuquita wrote:I think of it as a quantity vs plot importance thing. The longer an arc is the less likely any given episode may be important to the plot or contain a cool battle. It's easier for some to lose interest when the odds of fillersque episodes are higher.

I also think it's more difficult for Z pacing to fly with audiences nowadays compared to 20+ years ago.
I think all the numbers and countdowns in this arc adds to the weariness. We've had: hours remaining to the Tournament of Power, fighters remaining for the team, minutes remaining in the Tournament of Power, number of fighters remaining and the number of Universes remaining. There's constantly a running tally of some kind that gives a clear length to events and the timer countdown especially feels like it's taking its sweet time.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:20 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I think of it as a quantity vs plot importance thing. The longer an arc is the less likely any given episode may be important to the plot or contain a cool battle. It's easier for some to lose interest when the odds of fillersque episodes are higher.

I think all the numbers and countdowns in this arc adds to the weariness. We've had: hours remaining to the Tournament of Power, fighters remaining for the team, minutes remaining in the Tournament of Power, number of fighters remaining and the number of Universes remaining. There's constantly a running tally of some kind that gives a clear length to events and the timer countdown especially feels like it's taking its sweet time.
I agree. I think it feels like they're stalling for time trying to think up the next arc's story. I also think having all previous arcs be on a more seasonal side (14 to 20 episodes long give or take) makes this year long arc seem even longer.

I'm ready to hear about what the next arc has to offer.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:59 pm

This reminds me of people complaining about the 10 slice of life episodes between the end of the Zamasu arc the the the exhibition matches, then the 10 more recruitment episodes. Now people are complaining about the 20+ TOP episodes themselves.

It seems to me whenever we spend 3+ months on a single part of the story people complain, no matter what it is. After the TOP ends, besides whatever aftermath comes with it, I fully expect another 10+ ep slice of life arc before jumping into the next big thing. After 20+ episodes of continuous fighting episodes, there's almost definitely going to be a breather period of peacetime or humor based episodes.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:14 am

Chuquita wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:

I agree. I think it feels like they're stalling for time trying to think up the next arc's story. I also think having all previous arcs be on a more seasonal side (14 to 20 episodes long give or take) makes this year long arc seem even longer.

I'm ready to hear about what the next arc has to offer.
I wonder why did they announce what the next arc would be in Jump Festa like they did last year. Maybe they want to hold on and wait for this arc to end before they want to tell us what the next arc begins.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:17 am

precita wrote:This reminds me of people complaining about the 10 slice of life episodes between the end of the Zamasu arc the the the exhibition matches, then the 10 more recruitment episodes. Now people are complaining about the 20+ TOP episodes themselves.

It seems to me whenever we spend 3+ months on a single part of the story people complain, no matter what it is. After the TOP ends, besides whatever aftermath comes with it, I fully expect another 10+ ep slice of life arc before jumping into the next big thing. After 20+ episodes of continuous fighting episodes, there's almost definitely going to be a breather period of peacetime or humor based episodes.
I personally don't care how long filler or the TOP has been. I personally like long arcs because it gives me more to think about and wonder about the future. Plus, I really love the baseball episode. It was just fun to watch and really great to talk about with my friends who watch Super with me.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 am

majinwarman wrote: I wonder why did they announce what the next arc would be in Jump Festa like they did last year. Maybe they want to hold on and wait for this arc to end before they want to tell us what the next arc begins.
The next arc would no doubt have ramifications based off this, so it'll spoil what happens. Plus announcing a new arc while the current one is on going for another 3 months isn't smart.
Michsi wrote: I think it's already showing. Look at the episode thread, it barely reached 7 pages of discussion. A first since the TOP started I think. I know it was an average episode, but even average episodes used to get more attention/discussion than this.
You're reading too much into it, the zen exhibition matches at the start had a low page count too. Infact I remember making a point about it in one of those threads.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote: I think it's already showing. Look at the episode thread, it barely reached 7 pages of discussion. A first since the TOP started I think. I know it was an average episode, but even average episodes used to get more attention/discussion than this.
You're reading too much into it, the zen exhibition matches at the start had a low page count too. Infact I remember making a point about it in one of those threads.
That's what I said TOP. I imagine the recruitment episodes also got very little discussion going, but the actual tournament is supposed to be the main attraction of this whole arc. It's been consistently getting 10+ pages the days it airs and people kept talking about it throughout the week. It's possible that the announcement for the movie drew away all the attention last weekend though, so we have yet to see if this is actually a trend.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:21 am

Michsi wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
That's what I said TOP. I imagine the recruitment episodes also got very little discussion going, but the actual tournament is supposed to be the main attraction of this whole arc. It's been consistently getting 10+ pages the days it airs and people kept talking about it throughout the week. It's possible that the announcement for the movie drew away all the attention last weekend though, so we have yet to see if this is actually a trend.
My mistake I fell into the trap of ToP= the arc!

Either way it's not surprising only so much people can complain about.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

It's not just that. 119 was not well received, but 118 was almost nothing but praise. Point is, it's important to generate interest. Negative discussion is still discussion, it means people still watch and care about what's going on. It's when people stop talking altogether that things don't look so great. But as I said, let's wait and see.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 am

Michsi wrote:
It's not just that. 119 was not well received, but 118 was almost nothing but praise. Point is, it's important to generate interest. Negative discussion is still discussion, it means people still watch and care about what's going on. It's when people stop talking altogether that things don't look so great. But as I said, let's wait and see.
A lot of those discussion were also filled with topics not related to the episode like complaints about the U6 Saiyans and Rib. The moment they left, a lot of people has less to talk about it. Which is why 120 is so small. There was nothing offensive about the episode for people to complain about and it wasn't great enough to praise.

There is also in general far less to talk about since there're so little people left.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:39 am

Michsi wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Don't necessarily mean people aren't watching. I still am but haven't gone into a discussion thread for month or so now. 1m+ people tune into DBS on Toonami everyweek yet only a few comment on the FUNi dub thread. Total members of Kanzenshuu make up a fraction of those who watch DBS.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:51 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:
A lot of those discussion were also filled with topics not related to the episode like complaints about the U6 Saiyans and Rib. The moment they left, a lot of people has less to talk about it. Which is why 120 is so small. There was nothing offensive about the episode for people to complain about and it wasn't great enough to praise.

There is also in general far less to talk about since there're so little people left.
This is what I feel is mostly the case. Especially after 118 the whole TOP just feels a lot smaller and less...livelier? I know that's the point, but it cuts into the enjoyment for what is left of the arc. Ribrianne and U2, with all their faults and often cringe inducing presence, brought dose of color that I sure didn't expect to miss once they were gone. Same with U6. I think leaving the U3 as the second to last universe they have to deal with before moving to U11 to have been a bad choice. I am sitting here just waiting for 122 and I feel like most are too. :/
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Don't necessarily mean people aren't watching. I still am but haven't gone into a discussion thread for month or so now. 1m+ people tune into DBS on Toonami everyweek yet only a few comment on the FUNi dub thread. Total members of Kanzenshuu make up a fraction of those who watch DBS.
Watching is one thing, enjoying is another. If you're following a series you're not gonna skip episodes. Problem arises when it's one mediocre uneventful episode after the other and that might actually hurt viewership numbers.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:04 am

Michsi wrote:
This is what I feel is mostly the case. Especially after 118 the whole TOP just feels a lot smaller and less...livelier? I know that's the point, but it cuts into the enjoyment for what is left of the arc. Ribrianne and U2, with all their faults and often cringe inducing presence, brought dose of color that I sure didn't expect to miss once they were gone. Same with U6. I think leaving the U3 as the second to last universe they have to deal with before moving to U11 to have been a bad choice. I am sitting here just waiting for 122 and I feel like most are too. :/
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Don't necessarily mean people aren't watching. I still am but haven't gone into a discussion thread for month or so now. 1m+ people tune into DBS on Toonami everyweek yet only a few comment on the FUNi dub thread. Total members of Kanzenshuu make up a fraction of those who watch DBS.
Watching is one thing, enjoying is another. If you're following a series you're not gonna skip episodes. Problem arises when it's one mediocre uneventful episode after the other and that might actually hurt viewership numbers.
122 has a lot of hype because of the subject matter, who is writing it, and who is animating it. Even if U6 was the way to go in this next episode, most would still looking passed them to 122 since it's the start of the final.

Also, if people were not enjoying Super and just watching on Toonami, why did the DVD sells for the retellings sell so well? Especially when you can buy the movies for cheaper.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:19 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:
122 has a lot of hype because of the subject matter, who is writing it, and who is animating it. Even if U6 was the way to go in this next episode, most would still looking passed them to 122 since it's the start of the final.

Also, if people were not enjoying Super and just watching on Toonami, why did the DVD sells for the retellings sell so well? Especially when you can buy the movies for cheaper.
The special had even more hype surrounding it, yet the episodes leading up to it generated buzz on their own merit (be that the good or bad kind)

Are we talking about the Blu Ray numbers that were recently posted? Cause I remember quite the drop in first week sales. Also we are talking about this arc, about how people maybe are experiencing some fatigue with the tournament, not that Super is doing bad or whatever. I have no idea what's going on with it over on Toonami, I don't follow the U.S. release.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:30 am

Michsi wrote:
The special had even more hype surrounding it, yet the episodes leading up to it generated buzz on their own merit (be that the good or bad kind)

Are we talking about the Blu Ray numbers that were recently posted? Cause I remember quite the drop in first week sales. Also we are talking about this arc, about how people maybe are experiencing some fatigue with the tournament, not that Super is doing bad or whatever. I have no idea what's going on with it over on Toonami, I don't follow the U.S. release.
Mostly because people thought Freeza betrayed U7 and was going to go.

I was talking about US sells. DVDs never sell that well in Japan.

Rating wise, it’s impossible to say since Super’s ratings went down after that show was moved. However, the ratings have more less stood the same after 110 with only half a % different most of the time.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:56 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

I meant since the TOP started and until 109-110.
HeroR wrote: I was talking about US sells. DVDs never sell that well in Japan.
Me too, assuming we're talking about the same numbers. 13K in the first week for one bundle vs 9 K in the first week for the next.

HeroR wrote:Rating wise, it’s impossible to say since Super’s ratings went down after that show was moved. However, the ratings have more less stood the same after 110 with only half a % different most of the time.
If we're talking about the Japanese ratings, it's doing okay, it hasn't changed. I'm curious to see though if the overall interest/hype will stay the same now that the climax is approaching. 120 being "meh" in both rating and discussion might've been just a fluke.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

I meant since the TOP started and until 109-110.
HeroR wrote: I was talking about US sells. DVDs never sell that well in Japan.
Me too, assuming we're talking about the same numbers. 13K in the first week for one bundle vs 9 K in the first week for the next.

HeroR wrote:Rating wise, it’s impossible to say since Super’s ratings went down after that show was moved. However, the ratings have more less stood the same after 110 with only half a % different most of the time.
If we're talking about the Japanese ratings, it's doing okay, it hasn't changed. I'm curious to see though if the overall interest/hype will stay the same now that the climax is approaching. 120 being "meh" in both rating and discussion might've been just a fluke.
Because many people were left like fan-favorites Hit and the U6 Saiyans. Cali specifically took over discussions whenever she was mention along with Rib. And the start of a tourument always have the most hype.

Drop off, but not a major one.

120 had good ratings. It ranked the same as 118, which was ranked 9th, and is only .2 below 117. 111 had a 4.2 rating and was 8th.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:13 pm

HeroR wrote:
120 had good ratings. It ranked the same as 118 and is only .2 below 117.
5+ is what I'd call good TV ratings. It wasn't bad, that's why I said "meh". 118 was accompanied by a lot of discussion and comments, and apparently received a great ranking (not TV rating) among Japanese fans. I follow a lot of DB fans on twitter too and "meh" is exactly what I'd describe the reception for 120 there as well, if they even bothered to post anything about it.
As I said, I'm curious to see if this was a fluke or not. In the end it all depends on the quality of the upcoming episodes, but I mentioned already, even mediocre to bad episode generated a lot of buzz before. Whether it was because Freeza, Ribrianne ,Kefla or whatever else doesn't matter, those episode had something working for them the last one didn't.