Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyan Movie Collection

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyan Movie Collection

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:45 am

Madman Entertainment (The Australian and New Zealand distributors for the series) recently released a "Super Saiyan Movie Collection" DVD box set exclusive to Big W.

The set costs $34.00 (which is really cheap if you ask me!)
The set includes 9 films: Cooler's Revenge, The Return of Cooler, Bardock: The Father of Goku, The History of Trunks, Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan, Broly: Second Coming, Bio Broly, Fusion Reborn and Wrath of the Dragon.

Here are some images I took:

It's pretty much just a collection of some of the Double Features (and the Broly Triple Feature) DVDs although the cover art is different.

It's a neat little collection and it's cheap! It's definitely worth buying if you don't own the films.

What really would have made this though is if it included Battle of Gods.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyan Movie Collection

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:06 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Madman Entertainment (The Australian and New Zealand distributors for the series) recently released a "Super Saiyan Movie Collection" DVD box set exclusive to Big W.

The set costs $34.00 (which is really cheap if you ask me!)

Here are some images I took:
It's funny how the screenshots don't correspond to the text description.
They switched around Bardock and Trunks, Cooler's revenge and Return of Cooler, Broly's 1st and Broly's 2nd and then put a screenshot from Broly's 1st in his 3rd, Fusion Reborn and Wrath of the Dragon were also switched.
That's just weird.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:06 am

I saw that Madman was giving this away on their Facebook page a little earlier today. Bit of a bizarre release, it's almost like their answer to FUNi's movie packs from a couple years back. I know it's just a store exclusive, but I find the selection of movies quite random. I mean, why not include all of them? But I guess they've already put out a collected release of all the double features.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Never seen this before. The art looks really bizarre.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Could you post a link to where I could buy this from? Cant find it on the madman or big w site :eh:

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:53 pm

Gdugz wrote:Could you post a link to where I could buy this from? Cant find it on the madman or big w site :eh:
Sadly, it's only available in Big W stores within Austalia and New Zealand, so if you don't live in either of those two countries then you're out of luck.

There is someone who's selling it on Ebay but for auction :problem: . Look here if you're interested: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dragon-Ball- ... 2803db6c99

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Gdugz wrote:Could you post a link to where I could buy this from? Cant find it on the madman or big w site :eh:
Sadly, it's only available in Big W stores within Austalia and New Zealand, so if you don't live in either of those two countries then you're out of luck.

There is someone who's selling it on Ebay but for auction :problem: . Look here if you're interested: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dragon-Ball- ... 2803db6c99
Ah I see guess I will just have to keep an eye on ebay for the set. Thanks for the link :D

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:12 pm

I find it interesting that 7 out of 13 of the Z movies are in the set. C'mon, Madman, you could've just slapped the other six films into the box and sold a "complete collection."

Nevertheless, for that many films for the price point, that's a steal for Australian fans.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:17 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:I find it interesting that 7 out of 13 of the Z movies are in the set. C'mon, Madman, you could've just slapped the other six films into the box and sold a "complete collection."

Nevertheless, for that many films for the price point, that's a steal for Australian fans.
Isnt there already a complete movie collection from madman ?

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm going to try and win the bid on those. Curious how the video quality looks.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:01 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Never seen this before. The art looks really bizarre.
Pretty sure it only came out very recently. I mean, yesterday was the first I'd heard or seen anything about it, so that's not surprising. :wink:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
We don't actually have 'Big W' in New Zealand, so it looks to be an Australian exclusive.
Gdugz wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:I find it interesting that 7 out of 13 of the Z movies are in the set. C'mon, Madman, you could've just slapped the other six films into the box and sold a "complete collection."

Isnt there already a complete movie collection from madman ?
I don't think it's meant to be a serious release. I get the impression that this is just a quick cash-grab that they can pop in a bargain bin as a sort of budget release.

And yeah, we do have a complete movie collection.
Saiyan_nation_ wrote:I'm going to try and win the bid on those. Curious how the video quality looks.
It's just a repackaging of Madman's double features, so it doesn't look any different to anything we've already seen...although, from what I've seen and heard, I believe our releases are a step-down from the US ones.

EDIT: Just noticed the 'Resurrection F' tag on the back of the box. Really neat idea to tie this into the upcoming movie. Madman seems to be promoting the hell out of it.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:27 am

So, this sets out to include only all of the features that includes Super Saiyans in them. What's the Bardock special doing in it?
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Rukura wrote:So, this sets out to include only all of the features that includes Super Saiyans in them. What's the Bardock special doing in it?
Because Bardock (and Broly) help boost sales due to their large, fanatical fanbases. It's the same reason why those two are included in every fighting game post-Budokai 3.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Rukura wrote:So, this sets out to include only all of the features that includes Super Saiyans in them. What's the Bardock special doing in it?
It doesn't include the Bojack or Super 13 movies, apparently, so it's lacking.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:07 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
It doesn't include the Bojack or Super 13 movies, apparently, so it's lacking.
Didn't even notice that. One that doesn't even belong in this set, and missing another two. Though, looking closer, it seems it's a repack of the double-packs (and Broli triple-pack) with a new box. Seems like an odd choice to leave them out, for sure.
Kakacarrottop wrote:Because Bardock (and Broly) help boost sales due to their large, fanatical fanbases. It's the same reason why those two are included in every fighting game post-Budokai 3.
Such is true, it seems. Had they taken the specials out, the missing two could've been included, serving it some purpose. That same logic makes me wonder how Episode of Bardock hasn't been released outside of the Kinect game...
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:18 pm

Not a fan of these new renditions of the the old movie illustrations... :problem:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92