DBZ Fusion: Internal Struggle - DVD issues

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

the_abberration
Regular

DBZ Fusion: Internal Struggle - DVD issues

Post by the_abberration » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Hey all,

Went to watch the DBZ Fusion: Internal Struggle - DVD today. When I went to play it in Japanese with subtitles, it kept locking up on me.

Bought another one. It did the same thing. Was there any word on this DVD being defective?

Any help is much appreciated.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:37 pm

Actually, you're not the only one. The corresponding Fusion: Internal Struggle product page on Amazon has a number of customer reviews that complain about that very same subtitle problem.

There are copies out there that work just fine (such as mine), but it's apparently a game of chance in trying to find one. Since there's no way to tell the working copies from the defective ones, the only suggestion I can think of is to keep buying copies until you find one that isn't defective . . . and that's a rather sucky solution at best.

EDIT: Here's the Amazon link.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:38 pm

Thanks Li'l Lemmy. I guess I'll have to do that.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:23 pm

the_abberration wrote:Thanks Li'l Lemmy. I guess I'll have to do that.
If I were you, I'd complain to Funi, make them send me a working copy, and get my money back.
Honestly, selling a product that doesn't work well...

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:43 pm

sangofe wrote:If I were you, I'd complain to Funi, make them send me a working copy, and get my money back.
Kinda like his idea. Not sure how far you'll get with that (given that it's FUNi), but eh . . .
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:01 am

I had the same problem with the third Garlic Junior DVD (I think it is called Vanquished). Returned it 3 times and the store got mad at me and wouldn't exchange any more of them. So I ordered a second one from Deepdiscountdvd.com and gave the defective one to my friend because he watches Dub only.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:45 pm

Well, with my experience in DVD buying, if you buy it at an actual store (not online) then you could check for a bad disc by tilting the box and listen if the disc falls up and down in the box. If so, then that means the disc wasn't placed properly in the little hole where the disc should be (bad packaging!).

I've avoided many bad disc purchases by doing this beforehand.

If you're going to an online sure, I'm not too sure. But from my experience, all the discs I've bought from Amazon haven't been defective :D .
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:32 pm

sangofe wrote:If I were you, I'd complain to Funi, make them send me a working copy, and get my money back.
I would like to, but here's the rub. I bought it about a year or so ago. I watched it in English and had no problems.

Funny thing.

If I play the English track and switch the audio and subtitles to JP during the English opening it plays fine (still get the English opening and closing though).

If I play it a little bit and switch to the JP track it plays also. Either it has some bad encoding somewhere or the DVD is possessed.

Guess I'll endure the work around. Thanks everyone again for your help.