Viz dragonball manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kevin449

Viz dragonball manga?

Post by kevin449 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:49 pm

Hey there. I want everyone to know that I am a larger than live db manga reader. I'm all the way up to volume 36 and 40. I notice that vol.40 is edited but compared to the early books the paper and even the paperback is kinda different.But what do you think of the translation and what's your opinion about how viz release then re-release the series over the years. What do you like or what do you hate? I would like to call this topic the unofficial db/dbz viz released manga books.
Goku:HYAAAH!
Buu:Haa...Haaa
Vegeta:What the hell is going on here?

Sorry for this,it's my attempt at humor.
Hahaha!

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:48 pm

I noticed that the UK reprints of the Viz manga have poorer quality paper, but that would explain the £2.99 ($5.22) price tag at Amazon.
I really don't mind Mr. Satan being called H.ercule as long as they use the name consistently. I'm hoping that the earlier volumes will be re-released uncut before the UK version catches up.
I've looked at a few of the Viz volumes and the paper quality is better, but i don't want to fork out £5.99 ($10.46) for a single manga.

This is off topic, but Mike, is the word filter on this forum really neccessary? It's annoying trying to type a dub name only to have it replaced.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:57 pm

I think Viz do a decent job of publishing the manga in English. They basically tell the story how it is meant to be told, the edited parts are just things you have to deal with, now I don't know everything that is edited out, but I have 2 tankoubons and 3 small paperback comics and reading them is as enjoyable as it gets, really, the best thing out there is the Kanzenban releases, but what good are they if you know no Japanese?

It would be ok to read and English book with that next to it to read at the same time but only collectors with doh can dish out for the whole set in each different version. I personally would love to own each Kanzenban and read selected chapters in full colour on bigger pages with crisp ink but it's not something I would cherish like gold or something, it'd just get dashed on the side and left there, probably getting damaged.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:14 pm

Viz should offer an unedited version just out of respect to Toriyama and the manga he originally created.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:17 pm

I totally support in the release of an unedited version of dragonball. Vol.17-42 reincorporated under the db banner. I don't like everytime viz changes it's tankobon meusurements cause it ruins the picture on the sides. As anyone notice this? :evil:

Hahaha!

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:13 pm

kevin449 wrote:I totally support in the release of an unedited version of dragonball. Vol.17-42 reincorporated under the db banner. I don't like everytime viz changes it's tankobon meusurements cause it ruins the picture on the sides. As anyone notice this? :evil:
I know what you mean about some images looking dodgy at the page corner. I think that makes it look messy on the page, why couldn't they just use larger pages?

It's all about the money.

Apart from that nothing else bothers me much about it.

About them releasing an uncut version, I agree, they definately should.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:19 pm

I find they do a significantly inferior job compared to their other titles.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:20 pm

I really like Viz's releases. Yeah, they've edited a few things out of necessity or for some other reason, but it's still a very good job.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:47 pm

I really don't like the post Sho-Pro Viz all that much. They seem to shaft a majority of their localized Shonen Jump titles. Plus, it seems like Yu-Yu Hakusho is the only manga title they will try not to automatically blotch text out with a big white box (it looks really ugly on some pages.)

Eh, the new Viz is pretty sloppy. I haven't read DBZ in the States for a while though. Dunno how they are really doing with it so far.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Viz was good until they started making DBZ kiddie, like toning down the sexual jokes and giving Bulma a bra in volume 9 when they are fighting Invisible man...

Viz sucks... :x I want the old, more 'fuck the parents' Viz back... :? :( :cry:
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:Viz was good until they started making DBZ kiddie, like toning down the sexual jokes and giving Bulma a bra in volume 9 when they are fighting Invisible man...

Viz sucks... :x I want the old, more 'fuck the parents' Viz back... :? :( :cry:
What? She wasn't wearing a bra in the manga I have. Are you talking about the "comics" that were only available a couple of chapters at a time and that you could only get through subscribing and getting them in the mail?

... or did Viz's re-releases of the volume version become edited? (note that from what I noticed, you can tell the re-releases from the older releases by the bottom of the manga spines; the older ones have the Viz manga cat logo thing, while the newer ones are just Viz Media logo in a white box.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:50 am

Yeah, Chaos is talking about the re-release of the DB manga.

They've definitely become more.. careful. It annoys me because we KNOW how good they can be, and they're taking several steps back.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:45 am

Much agreed, luckily my local comic book store still sells some of the old Viz Dragon Ball mangas that are unedited, which leads me to think maybe I shouldn't purchase some of the newer releases & reversions of the story arcs involving most of Son Goku's adulthood.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:07 am

Censorship and other alterations aside, I believe Viz did a good job in translation. Some things were off here and there, but overall it was well handled, translation-wise at least.

I'm getting rid of most of my Viz manga now, I'm only keeping Bleach and Kenshin. I will buy from Viz if they have a quality product like the ones I forementioned. Otherwise, I wont. [glares at Naruto manga]

The Mole
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Mole » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:22 am

Good Lord, whenever I think about buying manga from them something like this happens! I wanted to buy the DragonBall manga...as soon as I had the money, they became edited! Something very similar each time! There's my 100 English pounds (The Who reference)
Even I became a loser when I made one of these...
http://www.myspace.com/randomvideosw00t

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:10 pm

I got a bit annoyed the UK versions have all the extras cut out ( Ask Toriyama letters) and the pages instead filled with crappy ads. Dr Slump also has edits of things they let pass in early Dragon Ball. It's a little sad but they seem to be trading accuracy in order to try and hit mass market.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:12 pm

Thank God I have the 2003 editions that the new edited media policy. Almost all my books have the viz cat logo except for 19 and 24 that is the first printing of book 40. Also the image on the spine with the media logo is larger making the old books look awkward.Darn it Viz, what happen to the good ol' days? :x

Hahaha!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:17 pm

B-kun wrote:Yeah, Chaos is talking about the re-release of the DB manga.

They've definitely become more.. careful. It annoys me because we KNOW how good they can be, and they're taking several steps back.

:P I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do when Naruto sees all the girls in the bathhouse in the next volume of Naruto...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:45 am

Reliable, well-translated, decently priced English Manga with a few stupid, though insignificant censors here and there in newer volumes.

I own all of it for a reason. It isn't Kanzentai (perfect) but it's English and I know every alteration (would take me two seconds to post them all, since I typed up a huge summary about it in another Board) so that remedies the issue of changes.

And, to me, it still owns the Anime in every way (audio aside).

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:53 pm

Is there a definitive list of all the things that Viz has edited out?

I have no intention of purchasing the Japanese mangas, therefore unless someone points out to me what exactly has been edited (besides silly things like Hercule ), I'd never know.