My Experience Watching Dragon Ball Z Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: My Experience Watching Dragon Ball Z Kai

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:59 am

ShaneisMC wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:I'm glad that Kai exists because now dub fans can experience show that is MUCH closer to the original. Not entirely, but close enough, there are still mistakes from the past.
It just sucks that they didnt start from the beginning with arc 1, instead of arc 7, original Dragon Ball needs some fucking love too!
And the scenes that are shorter, are short because Kai is closer to the manga and almost all the fights are lengthened with filler, for example car section of Vegeta vs 18.
Pretty much everything you said. I absolutely love Kai for the dub, and the fact that it is supposed to be truer to the manga. You're absolutely right, the original Dragon Ball could seriously use the same treatment officially and its not fair we dont get it. And obviously without an official one we are stuck with the original dub voices that we do have for it. However that being said as far as the cut content goes in keeping with the Kai aspect whoever it was that made the fan cut Dragon Ball Kai seriously did a wonderful job in my opinion. Cutting the series down from 153 episodes to 82 and splicing everything together pretty much seamlessly. He deserves a lot of credit. Its definitely my go to for watching the original DB in english so I can watch the entire story in that format. If any of you havent already just ask for it and I can hook you up. I had made a thread about it a while back.
I'd like to see it please! :D
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:15 am

Valerius Dover wrote: -Dude, Mah Truck. :lol: :lol: :lol: So, this guy survives in this version.
What, so he survives in the dub? Well, thats stupid, feels like a censorship...

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:20 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote: -Dude, Mah Truck. :lol: :lol: :lol: So, this guy survives in this version.
I believe that was an error from the nicktoons version that accidentally got left in during the editing.
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:30 am

Naruto6583 wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
I believe that was an error from the nicktoons version that accidentally got left in during the editing.
Yeah, we don't know for certain, but it appears as though there have been a few times here and there where the "uncut version" of a line accidentally got swapped with the "edited TV version" of a line. It didn't happen that often at all, but it did happen on a select few occasions. This is probably the most infamous one. Some lesser examples include mentions of death accidentally appearing on TV, while toned-down lines that merely imply death showed up in the same places on the home video release.

Eh. Stuff happens. Between the three differently-edited versions and the Music Scandal, I wouldn't be surprised if it just got difficult to keep track of all the different takes. What's more interesting is how the occasional reference to death (or instances of death that were not toned down with groans or dialogue to imply that someone was still alive) made it on TV without anyone at the TV networks noticing. It implies what I've felt for a while: claims that references to death on a kid's show would somehow harm a kid strike me as exaggerated, especially since a few mentions of death got on the edited TV version of Kai after all, and no one complained about it.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:18 am

I agree with Kururin Fan here. My only major gripe with Kai is the lack of the original DB, especially considering it's supposed to be manga accurate. I don't dislike the Z dub by any means, but I definitely see the Kai dub as a huge improvement. Anyway, I've seen 2 more episodes since the last update.

-Brina Palencia sings the opening song now. Pretty good overall, and certainly interesting that they went with a female singer just this once.
-I don't really have anything else to note about these particular episodes, to be honest. Not too much is all that different from Z here. I will say I wasn't expecting the scene of the Androids being stopped by the police to be in there. Was that in the manga?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:50 am

Them being chased by the police is in the manga. The owner of the shop where 18 bought clothes calls the police and they chase them and 18 destroys the police car, but they survive. Kai is not completely fillerless, of course, it still needs some extra material to fill an episode.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:48 am

Saw another 5 episodes!

-And Cell is here! Dartanian Nickelback :wink: still plays him. He sounds pretty much just like he did in Z. That is to say he's still got it!
-That blinding attack which was called Taiyo-Ken before now returns to using the DB dub name Solar Flare.
-Unsurprisingly, the scene of the army interfering with Piccolo and Cell's battle is removed without a trace.
-The panning shots right before the airport sequence (which were actually at the beginning of an episode in Z) actually have music playing. Ironically, this was one of the very few scenes in the Z dub with no music at all, just the narrator speaking.
-The first half of the airport sequence, namely the father getting killed, has been cut out. Furthermore, there is no remaining indication through dialog regarding the two people Krillin saves being siblings.
-I'm guessing this filler sequence was left in since it shows Piccolo and Tien meeting up with Krillin again. And also makes Krillin badass. :thumbup:
-I wasn't expecting this, but the term Hyperbolic Time Chamber is still a thing. What's the general consensus on this term?

"This sucks. Make more."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:58 am

Valerius Dover wrote:-I wasn't expecting this, but the term Hyperbolic Time Chamber is still a thing. What's the general consensus on this term?
I think VegettoEX summed it perfectly:
I always found FUNimation's dub use of "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" and exaggerated-to-the-point-of-being-disgusting use of "ascend" a painful attempt to spice up the intelligence of the dub.

"Room of Spirit and Time" is pretty much a translation of the original Japanese, so it's leaps and bounds more accurate. Though it may actually be "Time and Spirit". Forget the order.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:-I wasn't expecting this, but the term Hyperbolic Time Chamber is still a thing. What's the general consensus on this term?
I think VegettoEX summed it perfectly:
I always found FUNimation's dub use of "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" and exaggerated-to-the-point-of-being-disgusting use of "ascend" a painful attempt to spice up the intelligence of the dub.

"Room of Spirit and Time" is pretty much a translation of the original Japanese, so it's leaps and bounds more accurate. Though it may actually be "Time and Spirit". Forget the order.
Following up on this, there's another interesting tid bit...

I can't remember the episode number where the Room of Spirit and Time first came into play in Kai, but the 2-3 sentence preview description of the episode provided by...damn it, I forget again, but it was either TV Guide or Nicktoons.com...did actually refer to it as the Room of Spirit and Time, not the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. That raised our hopes that they would be using the more accurate translation going forward.

Alas.

Not that it's a dub-ruining experience by any means, just a minor bummer.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:27 am

Checked out another 5 episodes, putting me at the end of Season 3.

-Cell's 2nd form still has the same voice as the Z dub as well, nice. It goes well with his derpy look. :D
-Cell calls 16 a toaster. :lol:
-Now that he's gotten to talk a lot more, I will definitely reiterate that 16's VA has improved considerably since the Z dub.
-Didn't really have anything else to note regarding these episodes, since I didn't note much else as being particularly different.

"This sucks. Make more."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:14 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Cell calls 16 a toaster. :lol:.
Vegeta must be shedding a tear of pride.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:57 pm

And another 5 episodes today!

-Opening has Sean, Justin, and Greg's recordings mixed together now. Nice effect, actually.
-I found Cell's "FOUND YOU" and "EIGHTEEN" to be pretty funny. :D Actually, the whole sequence earlier with him yelling at 18 to show herself was pretty narmy too.
-Perfect Cell's voice couldn't be any more perfect this time around! He was good in Z, sure, but the improvement here is still very notable! The script helps, too.
-Cell trolling. "No seriously." :lol:
-Excellent use of an insert song while Trunks faces off against Cell in Episode 82! Probably my favorite usage of such a song so far.
-Mr. Popo is scary when he's angry. :shock:
-Krillin's signature attack, which was called Kienzan during the Frieza Arc, returns to the original dub name of Destructo Disk.
-It's come to my attention that a sizable amount of people have a problem with the dub of the Cell Arc of Kai. Apparently, it's less accurate than it should be? Compared to the Frieza Arc? Could anyone elaborate on this? I'm assuming people aren't just talking about two attack names, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Mah Truck, and that "I'll just watch" line from Yamcha earlier on.

"This sucks. Make more."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:A-Excellent use of an insert song while Trunks faces off against Cell in Episode 82! Probably my favorite usage of such a song so far.
That song would be called "The Lone Warrior," and it is sung by the original Japanese voice actor for Trunks, Takeshi Kusao.
Valerius Dover wrote:-It's come to my attention that a sizable amount of people have a problem with the dub of the Cell Arc of Kai. Apparently, it's less accurate than it should be? Compared to the Frieza Arc? Could anyone elaborate on this? I'm assuming people aren't just talking about two attack names, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Mah Truck, and that "I'll just watch" line from Yamcha earlier on.
Well, if you really want to see the extent of the changes, you can turn on the subtitles for the Japanese version, but keep the English dub audio on, to see how different things are. Long story short, though, J. Michael Tatum, who wrote most of the show's dub scripts up until the conclusion of the Freeza arc, didn't handle the scripts for most of the Cell arc, and it seems there was a slight step down in accuracy. I wouldn't call it a huge problem--especially compared to the Z dub's scripts--but it's noticeable.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Dameon Clarke really nailed it as Perfect Cell in Kai, he was great. The Lone Warrior was an insert song that I enjoyed too, it made Trunks vs. Cell a little more memorable. It really is a shame that Kai regressed a bit in the Artificial Human arc in terms of script accuracy. Yeah, not anything extremely huge, but I really wish they didn't go back to older dub names for attacks.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:32 am

Another 6 episodes since the last update. Several things to note here.

-The flashback about the tournaments now correctly states that Goku lost to Tien by just a little bit, instead of being a draw. However, the incorrect note about it being 5 years later still remains.
-Piccolo's other name is referred to as Ma Junior in the flashback. Since it's the same as the Japanese version, and Kai didn't cover DB, this is not an inconsistency by any means. But I thought I'd just note the dub of DB simply used Junior while DBZ used Ma Junior at the 25th, so there was an inconsistency in the old series dub.
-Mr. Satan is here! Chris Rager still voices him, and he's the same as ever! He's totally nailed it from day one, though, so that's awesome! :thumbup:
-Mr. Satan throws in a Pokemon reference. Unexpected. :lol:
-The Cell Games Announcer has a new voice, John Swasey. He pretty much sounds just as good, so no problem here.
-Speaking of which, as near as I can tell, he is not named here. The Z dub gave him the name Jimmy Firecracker.
-The announcer flipping the bird was edited into a fist, just like the prior instances. Pretty much expected by this point.
-So far, there hasn't been a single occurrence of the name Hercule. Just Mr. Satan. The Z dub would usually use either just Mr. Satan, Hercule Satan, or rarely just Hercule.
-Piiza, Caroni, and Piroshki all show up, despite being filler. I think it's obvious that there'd be no feasible way to remove them, however, given their abundant presence in many shots. Lucky for me, I have no problem with this. :D
-All three of them retain their Z dub voices, interestingly enough. And they sound just like they did before, too. Ok, Linda Young's Piiza shows her increased age a bit more in this version, but still sounds otherwise alright.

"This sucks. Make more."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Yes, she shows her age, and it was never right to begin with, so it's far worse that the character who is significantly younger has an old lady trying to sound like a young vivacious woman half her age.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed May 04, 2016 3:28 am

Another 4 episodes seen! I'm at the point where Gohan has just snapped after 16 gets crushed.

-The opening singers change again. Vic, Sonny, and Brina sing now. Sounds cool. :D
-All of this stuff pretty much plays out the same. I guess the Z dub was fairly accurate during these particular episodes, because I don't notice any major differences, aside from the lack of added dialog at points, most notable when Gohan snaps.
-I'll go ahead and use this update to note that both Z and Kai dubs handled the scene of Piccolo calling Goku out on his actions and the realization finally hitting him very well. The Z dub didn't even add thinking dialog for Goku here.
-I think it's crazy that it's taking so long with Buu Kai. With 6 episodes to go, at this rate, I am 99.99% certain I will finish the Cell arc well before Buu is even announced.

"This sucks. Make more."

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 04, 2016 11:47 am

Valerius Dover wrote: All of this stuff pretty much plays out the same. I guess the Z dub was fairly accurate during these particular episodes, because I don't notice any major differences, aside from the lack of added dialog at points, most notable when Gohan snaps.
I dont think so, i think this is the reason for that. "Long story short, though, J. Michael Tatum, who wrote most of the show's dub scripts up until the conclusion of the Freeza arc, didn't handle the scripts for most of the Cell arc, and it seems there was a slight step down in accuracy."

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed May 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote: All of this stuff pretty much plays out the same. I guess the Z dub was fairly accurate during these particular episodes, because I don't notice any major differences, aside from the lack of added dialog at points, most notable when Gohan snaps.
I dont think so, i think this is the reason for that. "Long story short, though, J. Michael Tatum, who wrote most of the show's dub scripts up until the conclusion of the Freeza arc, didn't handle the scripts for most of the Cell arc, and it seems there was a slight step down in accuracy."
I'm referring to Goku giving up and Gohan's subsequent battle with Cell. I've heard this little tale plenty of times, but still don't really know which things in particular are inaccurate. Bulma and her father having removed 16's bomb? Mr. Satan's convenient stomach aches? Goku giving up against Cell because he can't beat him? Goku's subsequent plan to get Gohan angry and unleash his hidden power? Piccolo beating into Goku's head that Gohan isn't a fighter and is just a little boy? :eh:

"This sucks. Make more."

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
I'm referring to Goku giving up and Gohan's subsequent battle with Cell. I've heard this little tale plenty of times, but still don't really know which things in particular are inaccurate. Bulma and her father having removed 16's bomb? Mr. Satan's convenient stomach aches? Goku giving up against Cell because he can't beat him? Goku's subsequent plan to get Gohan angry and unleash his hidden power? Piccolo beating into Goku's head that Gohan isn't a fighter and is just a little boy? :eh:
In my country there's a saying: " Even a blind hen sometimes finds a grain of corn."