"We're warriors, not ballerinas!" - Dub Movie 12

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Castor Troy
I Live Here

"We're warriors, not ballerinas!" - Dub Movie 12

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:14 pm

I got to rent DBZ Movie 12: Fusion Reborn from my anime shop early today and just finished watching the dub a few minutes ago.

Most of the dub was fine dialogue wise but my main problem was that the majority of the classic lines were butchered. :?

The "I'd rather die than fuse with you Kakarot! But Vegeta, you're already dead" line is sort of in there but it's reworded to something less cool.

FUNi totally ruined the "Juliano and Romeo" scene by renaming Romeo "Michael"... wtf?

Veku or Fat Gogeta sounds like a gangsta Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat doing his Kuwabara voice from Yu Yu Hakusho.

Most of you will be disappointed to hear this... The "I am neither Goku or Vegeta, I am the instrument of your defeat" line is NOT in the dub and is replaced with something about ending Janemba's reign of terror or something. :x

Last, but not least, The Dictator is Chris Sabat trying to imitate Kyle Hebert with a fake german accent. I actually thought it was Kyle at first until I saw the credits.

The quality is about the same as the rest of FUNi's movies. Some bits of pixelation, artifacts, and dot crawl.

I haven't watched the japanese version yet (well, I've seen it many times on fansub) and I'll probably watch it tommorow.

Lemme know if you have some other questions about the dvd and I'll answer them. I would still recommend getting it.. at least for the japanese subbed version anyways. :)

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Wait..doesn't the movie come out until a little later in the US? o_O How'd you get a hold of it?

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:22 pm

Tsukento wrote:Wait..doesn't the movie come out until a little later in the US? o_O How'd you get a hold of it?
My anime shop always gets things in early.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:27 pm

Yea, actually I bought that and the Vegeta Saga II today at Best Buy. If anyone is in the Brooklyn area you can get it at the Best Buy at Ceasar's Bay.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:40 pm

Well you realize that the only reason Gogeta said that line in Tenkaichi Budoukai was because all of the lines were directly translated. So, it's no surprise that some lines were altered, but in all honesty the script isn't THAT much altered from its original dialogue ever since Terry Klassen stopped. Also, the Romeo and Juliet change was probably done for legal issues.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:00 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Well you realize that the only reason Gogeta said that line in Tenkaichi Budoukai was because all of the lines were directly translated.
Doesn't explain why it was in Buu's Fury, then... except for the possible fact that those people are entirely die-hard fans.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Shouldn't Romeo and Juliet be public domain? It was writen in like the 1600s. Honest to Kami...Funi why can't you pay for the soundtrack and make a 3rd audio track with original music? You've got the money (they are licensing things left and right)!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:09 pm

5 questions, no more, no less.

1: Did Steve Simmons sub it?

2 Is the "Waves and Rocks" sequence kept?

3: Is the Japanese version in stereo?

4: What are all the DVD extras included?

5: Is Chris Rager hilarious in Hercule's one scene?

Whew.
14 years later

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:11 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:1: Did Steve Simmons sub it?
Why wouldn't he?
Conan the SSJ wrote:2 Is the "Waves and Rocks" sequence kept?
Been kept in most others, ne?
Conan the SSJ wrote:3: Is the Japanese version in stereo?
Never was to begin with.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:25 pm

:? You got it early? Damn. Anyway, sounds like FUNi's done an interesting job once again, with Gogeta's line being changed and 'Michael'. This should be good...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Why wouldn't he?
There is the possibility Clyde Mandelin did the translation, I'm not entirly sure we got a confirmation by Daimao that he did do it.
VegettoEX wrote:Been kept in most others, ne?
It's been cut out of DBZ movies 4, 6, 7, 8, as well as original DB movies 3 and 4/10th-Anniversary. Ya' never know.

Well, I guess if movie 12 never had stereo in the first place, then oh well.
14 years later

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:54 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:There is the possibility Clyde Mandelin did the translation, I'm not entirly sure we got a confirmation by Daimao that he did do it.
As far as I know, the only stuff Clyde's done has been DB episodes 1-153. Has he done *anything* else for FUNimation? Haven't really noticed...
Conan the SSJ wrote:It's been cut out of DBZ movies 4, 6, 7, 8, as well as original DB movies 3 and 4/10th-Anniversary. Ya' never know.
Huh, no shit. I guess the one that I was thinking of is movie 5, where it wasn't cut :P.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:18 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:5 questions, no more, no less.

4: What are all the DVD extras included?

5: Is Chris Rager hilarious in Mr. Satan's one scene?

Whew.
Since EX already answered the first 3...

4: Extras are..

Character Profiles

Trailers of:
DBZ Trading Card Game
DBZ: Vegeta Saga II
Degrassi
Mr Stain on Junk Alley
Z store

5: Yeah, Rager is funny in that scene "WHERE ARE THE CAMERAS!" :lol:

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote:As far as I know, the only stuff Clyde's done has been DB episodes 1-153. Has he done *anything* else for FUNimation?
Right off the top of my head, he's also done the DB 10th Anniversary feature, as well as the Spiral, Case Closed/Detective Conan, and Desert Punk anime. There is that mis-type issue with the Dead Zone redub DVD, where Clyde was credited despite it was Daimao's work. Who knows with FUNi sometimes.
14 years later

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:49 pm

Anyone else getting sick and tired of seeing Mr. Stain popping up in ALL of FUNimation's recent DVDs? ¬¬;

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:09 am

*vein throbs in side of head* Damn them, how could they change the best Gogeta quote ever!!!!!
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:24 am

Well, there's always the Japanese audio option. >.> S'not like FUNi's being like 4Kids and not giving us uncut DVDs with bilingual options.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:51 am

Yeah, we just recieved it at my work today (Blockbuster). I'll go down to Best Buy on my next outing and hope for the best...

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:59 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Conan the SSJ wrote:There is the possibility Clyde Mandelin did the translation, I'm not entirly sure we got a confirmation by Daimao that he did do it.
As far as I know, the only stuff Clyde's done has been DB episodes 1-153. Has he done *anything* else for FUNimation? Haven't really noticed...
Confirmed.

Hereand hereare Clyde's series (or at least the ones I can tell you about at the moment :wink: ).

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:13 am

Just a slight note to make, Steve did the subtitles for original Dragon Ball episodes 14-28 (this was during the time he did all of Funi's subtitle work), while as previously mentioned Clyde did all the others.