The dislike for Movie 11

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

The dislike for Movie 11

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:18 am

Whenever the question of what's your least favorite Dragon Ball movie the answer is almost always Movie 11. It's definitely no masterpiece but I never truly understood why it is so despised by fans. Is it because it's another Broly movie?

Having re-watched it just now, I can say that I enjoyed it. It was a nice to see are main cast consist of Goten, Trunks, #18, and Mr. Satan instead of the usual Goku, Vegeta, Gohan etc. It was also nice to see Goten and Trunks fight without fusion. I like Gotenks but Goten & Trunks rely on him too much so it was nice to get something like this before fusion became their go to thing.

I really do think that Broly was unnecessary. I guess it was either Bio-Broly or random super strong Bio-Warrior, it's not really a big deal to me but whatever.

In the end it was enjoyable for what it was.

Now I'd like to know what you guys think. Are you apart of the majority that thinks this movie sucks? If so, what did you dislike about it.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The dislike for Movie 11

Post by Cipher » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:23 am

I've always wanted to like this one more than I do.

The cast is great - #18, Kuririn and Mr. Satan in starring roles that late into the series is incredibly refreshing. We get a cool B-movie monster villain, and unlike others, I don't mind that there's a Brolli connection. It creates a fun little arc between films with Goten, Trunks and Kuririn all having dealt with him previously.

In execution, though, the character combination isn't mined for much humor, little is done with the genre homages, and really the entire experience is one of the blander action-dominated movies in the franchise. A shame.

Visually speaking, the lab is also one of the least interesting of the movie settings. Not at the bottom of the list for me, but not nearly as high as I'd like to rank it based on the elements at play.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:05 am

I find the movie very dull. Bio Broli himself is just a bad villain in general since he is ugly to look at, is not very threatening and died from water which is the worst movie death cliche in the book. I also didn't like that kid Trunks in this movie is way more annoying then he was in the show and #18 came off out of character to me. The movie also just unoriginal and lazy since we didn't need Broli back for the third time and that they just turn him into a melting dog turd makes it worst.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:42 am

It's mainly because the main characters are Goten and Trunks who are possibly the worst characters out of the main cast. None of the fan favourites like Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo were really even in it and Bio Broly is easily the worst villain of them all.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:28 am

1. The main players consists of Goten, Trunks, #18, and Mr. Satan. None of which are interesting enough as characters to hold a movie on their own (especially #18 where they kept running that money gag into the ground).

2. Broly is just lame in this movie. He already overstayed his welcome by the last movie but here, he's not even a character anymore and he doesn't even get to have a cool design either. He's just a poo monster. He's also not much of a threat either.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:28 am

everything is okay except the main villian of BioBroly he was boring and did NOT live up to the original Broly.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 am

I don't despise the film. I just find it incredibly dull.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:05 am

Movies 10 and 11 aren't that great, but what kills me the most about them is the fact that these were the only films that had full Kikuchi soundtrack releases.

Shame on you, Nippon-Columbia, for not giving the prior movies the same exact treatment! What could have been the reason for this? It couldn't have been "from a business standpoint". It must have been pure laziness on their part.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:13 pm

Its got Broly as the villain and Goten & Trunks as the protagonists, the only way you could make it a less appealing movie is if the Pilaf gang showed up to be comic relief.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:19 pm

The movie was just boring. The cast was bland, the fight were dull and Broly had become even more of parody of himself.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:32 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Its got Broly as the villain and Goten & Trunks as the protagonists, the only way you could make it a less appealing movie is if the Pilaf gang showed up to be comic relief.
I have to disagree, because a Goten-Trunks-Pilaf gang movie sounds hella bomb.

Movie 11 is still boring, though. In fact, it's kind of miraculously boring given what they had to work with.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:49 pm

I wrote a summary on this in another thread.

Basically, they took the most overrated and lamest villain in the franchise, made him even lamer, had a huge anticlimax, and the whole plot was rather pointless.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:26 pm

The whole bio thing was a rehash of DBZ movie 2 anyways. I was expecting to have Dr. Kochin to return when I first hear about the bio stuff in the plot for DBZ movie 11. Then I remember that would be impossible given that his body explode into ashes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:02 pm

It's my favorite Dragonball movie ever and I'll stand by it even if everyone hates it. I love the atmosphere. Though it deals with bio warriors similar to M2 it has an extremely different style and depth(or lack of) to it. The casting was A1. The movie low key gave Krillin a role in killing a main villain. Yes the reuse of Broly was lame but I do like the Bio monster of slime so I ignore the Broly factor. Not to mention Goten was undisputed lead character ^_^. The fighting was actually very well done. Goten and Trunk's combo on Broly was DOOOOOOPE AF frfr. Goten and Trunks vs Broly(Bio) is easily one of my favorite fights in the series. Plus the animation is FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:33 am

I really liked it as well, I'm big fan of B movie sci-fi genre, the only thing i didnt like, was dog killing, while human villains survived :x
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:08 am

coola wrote:the only thing i didnt like, was dog killing, while human villains survived :x
Ooh, don't ever see JoJo's Bizarre Adventure then.

As for the animation, I'll give Movie 11 a bone. The animation is a lot more polished and on-model than a lot of the previous movies.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:23 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:As for the animation, I'll give Movie 11 a bone. The animation is a lot more polished and on-model than a lot of the previous movies.
It's a hard step down from Movie 10 though.