“Shenlong’s back sure is warm…”

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

“Shenlong’s back sure is warm…”

Post by successoroffate » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:34 am

Was that a subtle way to say that Goku was dead and therefore, his body was stone cold?
Last edited by successoroffate on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: “Shenlong’s back sure is warm…”

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:40 am

successoroffate wrote:Was that a subtle way to say that Goku was dead and therefore, his body was stone cold.
That scene was never directly explained and is the subject of speculation and interpretation. Having said that, I think that's probably what it meant. Apparently so does Masako Nozawa.

[quote="Interview from "GT Perfect File 2""]QUESTION: Were there any scenes in the final episode [of GT] that left an impression?

NOZAWA: The scene where, after Goku finishes fighting, he rides on Shenlong, and says, 'Shenlong’s back sure is warm…'. That’s because riding on Shenlong means that Goku’s going to leave this world, and go to the world of the gods…. I was glad that they didn’t write it plainly that he died, though…. I feel that Goku probably went to Shenlong’s place, and is training again.[/quote]
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:41 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
successoroffate wrote:Was that a subtle way to say that Goku was dead and therefore, his body was stone cold.
That scene was never directly explained and is the subject of speculation and interpretation. Having said that, I think that's probably what it meant. Apparently so does Masako Nozawa.

[quote="Interview from "GT Perfect File 2""]QUESTION: Were there any scenes in the final episode [of GT] that left an impression?

NOZAWA: The scene where, after Goku finishes fighting, he rides on Shenlong, and says, 'Shenlong’s back sure is warm…'. That’s because riding on Shenlong means that Goku’s going to leave this world, and go to the world of the gods…. I was glad that they didn’t write it plainly that he died, though…. I feel that Goku probably went to Shenlong’s place, and is training again.
[/quote]

Yeah, I just read that interview. I never thought of that explanation for temperature remark.
-----
-----

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:01 pm

I never took it that way. I just saw it as a casual remark made by Goku.
I also thought that Masako Nozawa just mentioned that line to specify the scene, not because there was anything special with the line itself.

It'd be a nice touch though. I've never settled on an opinion regarding whether Goku was dead or not at that point. Right now, I like to think that he was.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:43 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I never took it that way. I just saw it as a casual remark made by Goku.
I also thought that Masako Nozawa just mentioned that line to specify the scene, not because there was anything special with the line itself.

It'd be a nice touch though. I've never settled on an opinion regarding whether Goku was dead or not at that point. Right now, I like to think that he was.
Yeah, I agree. And I have seen that scene many times. It is very touching. He probably was dead all along but the question remains from which point? Before of After the Genkidama..
-----
-----

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 pm

successoroffate wrote:Was that a subtle way to say that Goku was dead and therefore, his body was stone cold?
No he was not dead.
Goku united with dragonball and shenron
Probably the fact that goku can purify the berserk dragonball by eating it he was chosen by shenron to protect it.
And Goku's wish to keep training forever and look for new challenge and adventure was his most important point to decide to follow shenron
Probably also because it was fitted to the dragonball theme and poster where goku's riding shenron.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:41 pm

successoroffate wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:I never took it that way. I just saw it as a casual remark made by Goku.

Yeah, I agree. And I have seen that scene many times. It is very touching. He probably was dead all along but the question remains from which point? Before of After the Genkidama..
There's a hell of a lot indicating he's dead before the Genki Dama, meaning he's killed (or should have been, minus Shen-Long-related strangeness) by Yi Xing-Long's blast.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Cipher wrote:
successoroffate wrote:

There's a hell of a lot indicating he's dead before the Genki Dama, meaning he's killed (or should have been, minus Shen-Long-related strangeness) by Yi Xing-Long's blast.
Yeah, that's what I believe. When you see him laying down on the ground/hole asking for the energy for the Genkidama with the Blue Background and all, that's very convincing evidence to support the theory that he was dead at that point.

-----
-----

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:34 pm

successoroffate wrote:Yeah, that's what I believe. When you see him laying down on the ground/hole asking for the energy for the Genkidama with the Blue Background and all, that's very convincing evidence to support the theory that he was dead at that point.
No one can sense him either; he takes no damage from Yi Xing-Long's attacks upon rising up with the Genki Dama and even says, "I can't die until I've defeated you!" as a response to the dragon questioning why his attacks aren't working. Immediately upon killing the dragon, he falls to the ground, Pan pointedly is unable to wake him, and he doesn't sit up again until Shen-Long does the classic eye-glow normally reserved for granting wishes.

All of which there are other explanations for, of course, but coupled with the dialogue throughout episode 64, I think it's strongly implied he's "killed" by that blast and allowed to remain long enough to defeat Yi Xing-Long. (Which presumably Shen-Long has some part in arranging.)

His stopping that blast is also a big, big climactic moment in the fight.
Last edited by Cipher on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:36 pm

GTX wrote:
successoroffate wrote:Was that a subtle way to say that Goku was dead and therefore, his body was stone cold?
No he was not dead.
Probably the fact that goku can purify the berserk dragonball by eating it he was chosen by shenron to protect it.
And Goku's wish to keep training forever and look for new challenge and adventure was his most important point to decide to follow shenron
Probably also because it was fitted to the dragonball theme and poster where goku's riding shenron.
I believe he died and then became one with Shenlong. But there's plenty of evidence that suggest that he actually died.

For example: Goku's Gi after the battle with Omega. This one is a headscratcher.

There's no explanation as to why there's a set of Goku's Gi laying on the ground when you just saw him leaving wearing one.
-----
-----

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:54 pm

GTX wrote:
No he was not dead.
This would be genius if true. But I wonder how Shenron would heed Goku's request to find stronger opponents.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:00 pm

Wow that makes Dragon Ball GT's ending a lot better (it was already very good in my opinion)

So Goku actually died following Yi Xing-Long blast, in fact I could never explain how he was still alive. And the blasts he tanked while using the Genkidama would have killed him, but he was already dead by that point so he was somewhat "magic".
Also I never though about the fact is Gi is retrieved by Pan, that definitely means Goku died there.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:29 pm

emperior wrote:Wow that makes Dragon Ball GT's ending a lot better (it was already very good in my opinion)

So Goku actually died following Yi Xing-Long blast, in fact I could never explain how he was still alive. And the blasts he tanked while using the Genkidama would have killed him, but he was already dead by that point so he was somewhat "magic".
Also I never though about the fact is Gi is retrieved by Pan, that definitely means Goku died there.
He basically received the same attack twice, and the second one was really a direct hit, he didn't even flinch. That's where I started to think that something smelled fishy. The way I see it, Goku and Shenlong got into an agreement. When Goku died, he ended up with Shenlong, where Goku asked Shenlong to allow him to go back to earth (maybe as immortal or something) and use the Genkidama to defeat Omega. All he needed was to be brought back to defeat Omega and save the earth and that's it. After that, he's done. Shenlong agreed to grant Goku's wish but with one condition, No more Dragon Balls for 100 years and you and I are to become one and the same (and train at the same time if he liked).
-----
-----

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:42 pm

emperior wrote:So Goku actually died following Yi Xing-Long blast, in fact I could never explain how he was still alive. And the blasts he tanked while using the Genkidama would have killed him, but he was already dead by that point so he was somewhat "magic".
I think he made a deal with Shenlong. The way they talked when Goku woke up later sounded like they had a conversation before, something we never saw.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:05 am

successoroffate wrote:
emperior wrote:Wow that makes Dragon Ball GT's ending a lot better (it was already very good in my opinion)

He basically received the same attack twice, and the second one was really a direct hit, he didn't even flinch. That's where I started to think that something smelled fishy. The way I see it, Goku and Shenlong got into an agreement. When Goku died, he ended up with Shenlong, where Goku asked Shenlong to allow him to go back to earth (maybe as immortal or something) and use the Genkidama to defeat Omega. All he needed was to be brought back to defeat Omega and save the earth and that's it. After that, he's done. Shenlong agreed to grant Goku's wish but with one condition, No more Dragon Balls for 100 years and you and I are to become one and the same (and train at the same time if he liked).
100 years? You know that GT''s special hero legacy was contradicting GT series. The easiest one was contradicting both super 17 and dragon sagas.
I think they're not dead because halo exist. Eventhough in GT they're not showing halo most of the cases they did show halo when it's mattered, like when they're showing Piccolo losing his halo when thrown into hell by his own will to help goku. So they must have recognized goku's dead because the halo. In fact they didn't. So Goku's still alive.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:32 pm

GTX wrote:
successoroffate wrote:

100 years? You know that GT''s special hero legacy was contradicting GT series. The easiest one was contradicting both super 17 and dragon sagas.
I think they're not dead because halo exist. Eventhough in GT they're not showing halo most of the cases they did show halo when it's mattered, like when they're showing Piccolo losing his halo when thrown into hell by his own will to help goku. So they must have recognized goku's dead because the halo. In fact they didn't. So Goku's still alive.
How does 100 years contradict Super 17 and the Shadow Dragon Sagas?
During episode 64 of GT, Vegeta, Piccolo and Muten Roshi asked Goku if he's dead (They say: "Goku..Are you..."? He didn't respond to Roshi nor Piccolo. And for Vegeta he gave him a "Shhh" Sign to keep him from talking.
-----
-----

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:49 pm

How does 100 years contradict Super 17 and the Shadow Dragon Sagas?
During episode 64 of GT, Vegeta, Piccolo and Muten Roshi asked Goku if he's dead (They say: "Goku..Are you..."? He didn't respond to Roshi nor Piccolo. And for Vegeta he gave him a "Shhh" Sign to keep him from talking
You know legacy hero stated peace 100 years after baby arc eventhough dragon saga and super 17 happened. Legacy hero was probably made before GT series was greenlited for 24 more episode extension.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:33 pm

GTX wrote:You know legacy hero stated peace 100 years after baby arc eventhough dragon saga and super 17 happened. Legacy hero was probably made before GT series was greenlited for 24 more episode extension.
There is no concrete evidence to suggest any particular wrap-up spot for DBGT, be it after the Baby arc or an extension through what we saw. It's likely that we'll never know the true plan, if there ever was one.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Goku is likely a walking spirit at the end of GT. Goku return to Earth to put back the Dragon Balls since they are finally restore with no negative energy inside of them. Goku most likely absorb the Dragon Balls to help purify them which is why it took 100 years for them to restore back to normal. Goku saw Goku Jr and decide to give him the 4th Star Dragon Ball.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
GTX wrote:You know legacy hero stated peace 100 years after baby arc eventhough dragon saga and super 17 happened. Legacy hero was probably made before GT series was greenlited for 24 more episode extension.
There is no concrete evidence to suggest any particular wrap-up spot for DBGT, be it after the Baby arc or an extension through what we saw. It's likely that we'll never know the true plan, if there ever was one.
It's special and contradicting so i don't care enough.
I just stated where it's stated in many sites in the internet about GT's extensions including the 'DBwikia'.

It cannot be happened because after baby saga is not peace but another universe threatening attack.
He cannot be dead too because if remember correctly that halo is visible to anyone in DB.
So they must have pointed/known that goku's being dead at that arc