DB Super retconning EOZ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

DB Super retconning EOZ?

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:03 am

So apparently Pan, who is 4 at the end of Z, now exists in the Super series which is maybe a year after Boo's defeat. So I guess we can assume that end of Z will not be canon to the Super timeline right?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: DB Super retconning EOZ?

Post by Chuquita » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:21 am

There's no way to definitively know yet because they've been so vague in Super about how much time is passing; nobody gives a specific "this many years" time frame. (Which imo is strange because Dragon Ball's always been clear about what year stuff took place in during its run).

I honestly think the biggest clincher is not going to be Pan, but Bra. Bra's got two birthdates from two official sources; one that puts her a year older than Pan and one that puts her a year younger. If there's a time skip at some point during this series more than a year after Pan is born and Bra still hasn't appeared, then EoZ getting retconned would be probable.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:22 am

Fact Checker wrote:Minute: 2
Narrator: “And then, six months later…everybody’s memories of Boo were erased by the power of the Dragon Balls. Some time has passed since then.”
Significance: Establishes the timeframe for the series. Some promotional material in Jump has described the series as “half a year” (ie six months) after the battle with Boo, but according to the narration here there’s at least a little bit more time than that.
There is no clear explanation for the time frame of this story. It could be any number of years. So that doesn't necessarily retcon EoZ.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:22 am

I hope so,It bugs me how Uub who is only a Kid Buu tier can hurt Base God Goku.They should recon him into having Golden Freeza's power and Kid Buu's abilities.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 am

I honestly think it already has, why do you think the only new material we've gotten is always between the 10 year gap?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:29 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:So apparently Pan, who is 4 at the end of Z, now exists in the Super series which is maybe a year after Boo's defeat. So I guess we can assume that end of Z will not be canon to the Super timeline right?
Fact Checker wrote:Minute: 2
Narrator: “And then, six months later…everybody’s memories of Boo were erased by the power of the Dragon Balls. Some time has passed since then.”
Significance: Establishes the timeframe for the series. Some promotional material in Jump has described the series as “half a year” (ie six months) after the battle with Boo, but according to the narration here there’s at least a little bit more time than that.
We don´t know the exact timeframe of DBSuper, the only thing that we do know is that "Some time has passed since then ", as the statement is so vague that it could be 1 year after as you said or it could be 4 after that, meaning there would be no retcon at all, until the show drops an specific number nothing is certain.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:50 am

I think the answer is it hasn't been retconned, yet!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:08 pm

I just figure it's supposed to be set the same year as the BoG movie, I see no reason why it wouldn't be. In this case "some time has passed" seems to be was it 5 years?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:26 pm

Super is set the same time as BOG and ROF. So Pan is probably 4 and half years old. So far Pan's age and Goku's statement on Buu being the strongest villain that they fought are the only major changes, but EOZ still fits in find.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:28 pm

It's still a bit vague as to when Super is set, so we can't know for sure whether EOZ is being retconned by Super.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:28 am

Lord Beerus wrote:It's still a bit vague as to when Super is set, so we can't know for sure whether EOZ is being retconned by Super.
We don't have any reason to assume that the 28th TB arc is being retconned.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:33 am

In all the hype for the U6 arc, I realized something. If Goku's team loses and the Earth is moved to U6 and that is not undone by the end of Super, EoZ is retconned, since Universe 6 must also have it's own afterlife, of which Buu's soul would not be part of, meaning Uub can no longer be reincarnated on the Earth we know.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:53 am

Uub has already been born, though. There's no retconning in play here, unless one of the characters permanently dies.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:16 pm

If this so called retcon melodrama, i ask you if You went to the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai with an pink Gi instead of the Blue one to the tournament (and the rest remains unchage, minus Gi), would EOZ be retconned ? :evil:
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:01 am

Not yet, but if Bra doesn't get born fast then it will fuck up EOZ.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:32 am

The only thing I hope it retcons if 18's hideous haircut at the end of the series. Its such an awful way to make it look like she aged.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:11 am

IM21 wrote:Not yet, but if Bra doesn't get born fast then it will fuck up EOZ.
But base goku has become infinitely stronger than kid buu, and he's still not sure if he can beat fat buu at the tournament.
He also wants to fight UUB, who's weaker than kid buu.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:52 am

apex_pretador wrote:
IM21 wrote:Not yet, but if Bra doesn't get born fast then it will fuck up EOZ.
But base goku has become infinitely stronger than kid buu, and he's still not sure if he can beat fat buu at the tournament.
He also wants to fight UUB, who's weaker than kid buu.
Goku was never worried about Fat Boo, and he had no idea how strong Oob was before their fight, who was falsely assumed to be a trained fighter.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:27 pm

ROF and U6 are set 5 years before the final chapters in DBZ. So Bluma's statement on not seeing each other in 5 years is still legit unless the next story arc after U6 is set a year or more later. Goku not using SSj anymore thanks to his god powers does explain why Goku didn't go SSj against Uub. Goku started to get serious when Uub got mad at him.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:25 am

I thought Bra was older than Pan, so is BoG & RoF/Super making her younger? Or did Toriyama do what he does and forget she even existed (looking at Launch and #18's hair color, for example)?
Also, what is the canon now? BoG & RoF or Super?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif