FUNimation selling extra Dragon Boxes at Dallas Comic Con

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

FUNimation selling extra Dragon Boxes at Dallas Comic Con

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:57 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/FUNimation/s ... 6042077184

I didn't see a thread for this yet. They seem to be just selling extra Dragon Boxes from their vault. Thoughts?

Ajay

Re: FUNimation selling extra Dragon Boxes at Dallas Comic Co

Post by Ajay » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:06 am

Disgusting.
FUNimation wrote:"We just repriced these on-site to be comparable to current market prices."
It would be fine if they were selling them for their original price, but to mark them up to what the scalpers are selling them for is vile. It's such a disgusting way to treat fans.

It's a one-off for a convention, but that's no excuse. If anything, keeping them the original price would be a nice way to reward fans for actually turning up.

Horrible. Stupid. Disgusting. Do not like it one bit. If it's at all possible, they desperately need to release the footage in a different, cheaper format. Bad luck if you missed out on the limited edition fancy packaging, but let people buy a cheap collection of it, at least.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:58 am

Ajay wrote:Disgusting.
FUNimation wrote:"We just repriced these on-site to be comparable to current market prices."
It would be fine if they were selling them for their original price, but to mark them up to what the scalpers are selling them for is vile. It's such a disgusting way to treat fans.
It's a one-off for a convention, but that's no excuse. If anything, keeping them the original price would be a nice way to reward fans for actually turning up.
Horrible. Stupid. Disgusting. Do not like it one bit. If it's at all possible, they desperately need to release the footage in a different, cheaper format. Bad luck if you missed out on the limited edition fancy packaging, but let people buy a cheap collection of it, at least.
I certainly think it's a bit of a dick move but I think your disgust is a little much.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:09 am

I can't believe that. Surely they won't be going for so much. They probably don't just want to sell them for $30.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:39 am

Wow, amazing. If what we're paying for is the fancy box, I don't really need the fancy box, as nice as it is. Make a "Yellow Brick" with DBOX footage on it and call it a day.

It's also kind of aggravating that they just have more sitting there. I figured "limited edition" meant "we make this many and sell them all until they are gone." But... they just have more. In their vault. Doing nothing, seemingly waiting for this very opportunity.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:42 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Z-D ... SwNSxVXEJe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Z-6 ... SwT6pVzRYP
For what i see, boxes prices vary from 80$ to over 250$. So i wouldn't be surprised if they get sold too
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:55 am

They shouldn't even have sold these, even at jacked up prices there will no doubt have been a scramble. Why not just raffle them off or do a giveaway?

It's literally pennies to them. Beyond everything else it's petty.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:56 am

They say these are "market prices" but how well are they selling at those prices? You can find a lot of high prices on Amazon for things like rare DVDs, but do they actually sell?
They shouldn't even have sold these, even at jacked up prices there will no doubt have been a scramble. Why not just raffle them off or do a giveaway?

It's literally pennies to them. Beyond everything else it's petty.
But it's not petty to knock a company because they won't give away something for free?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:08 am

ABED wrote:But it's not petty to knock a company because they won't give away something for free?
No more petty than you nitpicking at the suggestion.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:11 am

Blade wrote:
ABED wrote:But it's not petty to knock a company because they won't give away something for free?
That's not a nitpick, it's a big deal. You are calling them petty for wanting to make money, but you think it's fine that people's desire to get it for free isn't. It's a double standard that I'm not overly fond of. I wasn't knocking your suggestion, I was knocking the idea that it's petty for them to sell them instead of giving them away.

How is it even pennies to them?

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:19 am

ABED wrote:
Blade wrote:
That's not a nitpick, it's a big deal. You are calling them petty for wanting to make money, but you think it's fine that people's desire to get it for free isn't. It's a double standard that I'm not overly fond of. I wasn't knocking your suggestion, I was knocking the idea that it's petty for them to sell them instead of giving them away.
You're missing the point, There's a rationale right there in my initial post - feel free to read it again. I stand by it and I disagree with you.

We're talking about a couple of discontinued collectors items and not current retail products. I wasn't saying that means that they should give them away, but more that they shouldn't have been put on sale at all, and that a raffle would have been a better and fairer way of distributing them - it could have even been a paid raffle for all I care about, but I still think that's fairer than putting something out on Twitter, slapping on some jacked-up prices and setting off a mad scramble.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:45 am

I fail to see anything illuminating. So what if they aren't normal retail items?

Look, I'm in agreement that selling at such high prices is a tad too much, but the fact that they are discontinued is an irrelevant detail. What is so unfair about this in essence?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Between scalping Dragon Boxes and cropping the series again despite fans' wishes, FUNimation has lost a lot of my respect as of late...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Between scalping Dragon Boxes and cropping the series again despite fans' wishes, FUNimation has lost a lot of my respect as of late...
I think it's just Dragon Ball that they pull these kinds of things with, as far as I know. Nearly every other series is treated with a good amount of respect by them.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Between scalping Dragon Boxes and cropping the series again despite fans' wishes, FUNimation has lost a lot of my respect as of late...
I think it's just Dragon Ball that they pull these kinds of things with, as far as I know. Nearly every other series is treated with a good amount of respect by them.
Which makes it all the more disrespectful to DBZ fans.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Sounds stupid but I feel like canceling my revival F bluray. I rather not support them if they pull this kind of stunt..

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:02 pm

That's not stupid, you vote with wallet, i love Star Wars, but hate how Lucas butcher OT, by keep adding new bad stuff so i ignored their Blu Ray release.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Wow, so cheap! I've even got new PSP after my old one got splashed with hot coffee for the original price, wrapped, new...
This is mostly like, we have these extras you are longing for, so well, why should we sell them for the original price which is still higher than the production cost with the added price,
let's make some sure money :)

Hahaha, business at it's finest, but no bigger company with clean moral slate would do that.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

s841

Post by s841 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Really FUNimation?
Last edited by s841 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thedoctor2016

Post by Thedoctor2016 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:36 pm

What annoyed me was them saying this was "market rate" what does that mean eBay prices?