Have you ever been judged because of your interest?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Have you ever been judged because of your interest?

Post by ssj4 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:57 pm

I mean as a dragonball fan, have people ever judged you for it, I remember once in 10th grade, I let it slip that I still like it, and these two girls were like oh I wouldn't date a guy who still watches dragonball z. Has anyone ever been judged like that

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Have you ever been judged because of your interest?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:00 pm

Sure, plenty of times during high school. High school tends to be pretty sucky about that sort of thing. For the most part though, as you get older, you tend to care less what others think about your interests so long as they're still interesting to you, because that's what really matters.

There can still be times though, of course. A large chunk of my family no doubt still shakes their head in disbelief at my continued interest in cartoons, anime, and other nerdy stuff. There's still certain sections of the net where liking DB will get you derided by other anime fans. But again, the important thing to remember is that it really doesn't matter what others think of you, only what makes you happy.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:02 pm

Not really. In fact, the high school I went to it was still popular... but then again I went to a magnet school for technology.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Used to happen a bit during middle school by some classmates who just couldn't stand anime in general and I used to hide the fact that I liked it so you could say I was an easy target. In high school however it's the opposite, I'm finding more and more people who like it or atleast saw it an one point in time, I even got one of my classmates to watch the movies during classes with downtime with me because he was interested in it, who then later went on to watch the whole show by himself.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:25 pm

Yeah, definitely, and also ridiculed beacuse thats "for kids", but i dont give a fuck honestly.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:39 pm

yeah but for me now in 12th grade, there are a lot more people who are open of their interest on it

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:39 pm

Oh, yes, I have been by a few family members and a couple students(even though they watch Adventure Time), but then again, I judged and laughed at other folks who still watched the current Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, so yeah, I'm a hypocrite.

Why?! WHY?! Because it is human nature!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:53 pm

Oh GOD N0 NOT T3H T33N4G3RZ!!! :p Seriously though if you're in high school or are dealing with an adult who still thinks like a 15 year old dont pay them any mind whatsoever. If you love the Cat in the Hat so much that its what gives you hope to get up in the morning then you do the fuck out of you. Just do your thing, remember the golden rule and the right people will naturally come along.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Never really got judged at all. Primary school everyone was into it. Secondary school even the "I think I am badass doing whatever I want" type folks would sit in class drawing Goku etc, we used to play Pokemon and Yugioh regularly too and no-one would look down on anyone cuz everyone was into it! Hell in Year 11 we played cops and robbers and still no one gave a crap. Sixth form yeargroup wasn't that big and everyone respected everyone, this was in the midst of BoG release I would searching and watching DB stuff in free periods :P And now in 3rd and final year of University and I go full out, rocking DBZ keychains on my Uni Id lanyard and having a DB phone case etc no-one really says anything, though few people are like oh cool Dragon Ball. I plan for my final examinations to bring in a DBZ figure as a good luck charm!

I suspect however in a working environment I may have a different experience. But we will see!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:12 pm

Not really, though that may be because I'm 6'4 and the center for the football team :lol:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:23 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Sure, plenty of times during high school. High school tends to be pretty sucky about that sort of thing. For the most part though, as you get older, you tend to care less what others think about your interests so long as they're still interesting to you, because that's what really matters.

There can still be times though, of course. A large chunk of my family no doubt still shakes their head in disbelief at my continued interest in cartoons, anime, and other nerdy stuff. There's still certain sections of the net where liking DB will get you derided by other anime fans. But again, the important thing to remember is that it really doesn't matter what others think of you, only what makes you happy.
My family, girlfriend and most people I know shake their head the same way. Especially my girl but all she watches is Kardashians and my 300 pound life so who should really be more ashamed? Double standards I tell ya

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:25 pm

I think everyone has been judged for an interest they've had at some point, not just Dragon Ball. And I remember how much it sucks, because when you're in high school, you kind of think in your young mind that high school represents the world at large....and it really doesn't. As soon as I got into college, I found it easier to hang out with people who like my interests, and as I've gotten older--especially when I moved to LA--I found out that there are, in fact, a ton of people with similar interests. So, have I been judged by someone at some point for my interest? Probably. Never to the extent that it really bothered me though, and it has bothered me less and less as I've gotten older.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:46 pm

I was once watching one of the Cell saga episodes with Mr. Satan doing his various antics, and my mom commented that "aren't you too old to be watching something like this?" IIRC I was 14 or 15 at the time.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:24 pm

No I was really quiet in school, but I don't remember anyone in school talking bad about the series. I even heard a great theory back in middle school:

Why didn't Babidi show up to Earth in the Mirai Timeline? He had no idea where Earth was. How did Babidi find Earth in the Main Timeline? Gohan's SSJ2 energy rippled through the universe, catching Babidi's attention.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:39 am

FoolsGil wrote:No I was really quiet in school, but I don't remember anyone in school talking bad about the series. I even heard a great theory back in middle school:

Why didn't Babidi show up to Earth in the Mirai Timeline? He had no idea where Earth was. How did Babidi find Earth in the Main Timeline? Gohan's SSJ2 energy rippled through the universe, catching Babidi's attention.
Of course that ignores the fact that Babidi and Dabura said that they had scouted Earth a few hundred years before.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:30 am

Plenty of times! Specially in middle school and high school, guys were talking about girls and cars while I was talking about pokemon, yugioh, gundam, dragon ball. I got looks like I was the weirdest dude in school. These days? Not so much, I walk around with a lot of nerdy shirts and some people give me looks but others give me high fives cause they get the joke. Specially when I wear shirts like this...
But I learned down the road that those people who treat ya like you are weird...to heck with them. I like what I like and that's what matters. If they think I'm weird...screw them. Also...high school is high school, you will get judged for breathing. So my advice to those going through high school and being a nerd...this comic below sums up how stuff will go.
Last edited by voltlunok on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:No I was really quiet in school, but I don't remember anyone in school talking bad about the series. I even heard a great theory back in middle school:

Of course that ignores the fact that Babidi and Dabura said that they had scouted Earth a few hundred years before.
Well it's only a theory, A GAME SAIYAN THEORY!!!! :lol:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:46 am

Honestly no. The only time I ever get judged for liking something is when my dad sees me playing video games and occasionally he'll be like "get rid of that shit," but I just ignore him. My high school was full of "nerds." Literally everyone had a geeky interest, including a lot of the jocks, so nobody really judged anyone for liking something. I was friends with a football player and he was the biggest Bleach fan I've ever seen. A lot of my friends were also hardcore anime/basketball fans. Although I don't consider myself a big anime fan, I won't be afraid to admit that I like anime (especially Dragon Ball) if someone asks me.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:16 am

Geez, I'm surprised that some folks weren't judged at all.... or judged other folks liking shit you don't like or outgrew. :twisted:
ShaneisMC wrote: If you love the Cat in the Hat so much that its what gives you hope to get up in the morning.
Too much!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:17 am

EXBadguy wrote:Oh, yes, I have been by a few family members and a couple students(even though they watch Adventure Time), but then again, I judged and laughed at other folks who still watched the current Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, so yeah, I'm a hypocrite.

Why?! WHY?! Because it is human nature!
No, it's just you being an asshole.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"