Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Episode 112 and 114 entice the most for the most obvious reasons. (Shida doing the storyboard and Takahashi being a AS).

Episode 111 having Tiger Mask W's series director is very promising and I'm expecting some good direction in that episode.

Episode 113 being loaded with as many people as there are working on the storyboard seems to indicate a really rushed episode. It's either that, or the quality of storyboard artist that was originally designated for that episode was not considered good enough so they threw in more people to help rough out the edges and paper over the cracks.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Another reason to have multiple storyboard artists on one episode is just to get the board done faster, not necessarily because the episode is rushed anymore than usual.
One reason to want to get a board done faster is to allow for more animation time on the episode, or so the boarders can get their work on future episodes done faster to allow more animation time on those.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:22 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Another reason to have multiple storyboard artists on one episode is just to get the board done faster, not necessarily because the episode is rushed anymore than usual.
One reason to want to get a board done faster is to allow for more animation time on the episode, or so the boarders can get their work on future episodes done faster to allow more animation time on those.
Fair enough. I have to wonder though, with this many people working on the storyboard, could this lead to uneven direction of the episode. Because I know that there are many different way animators like to compose the storyboards, and I'm maybe I'm just talking out of my ass, but could a scenario like that lead to a styles clash? Or are all three people going to work on the same wavelength?

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Why this shida guy so special :problem: just want to know

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Hey guys, how can I know which episodes of DBS Shida was in charge of the storyboard? I guess and 8 and 23 are some of them, right?
pacz360 wrote:Why this shida guy so special :problem: just want to know
See by yourself. Have a nice journey.
https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=naotoshi_shida+

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:20 pm

pacz360 wrote:Why this shida guy so special :problem: just want to know
This is why he's so special:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
And that's just the tip of the iceberg of what he can do.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:05 pm

I was ill in bed yesterday and spent some hours watching Shida Sakuga videos on YouTube yesterday!! The dude is incredible and his work on DBS doesn't even come close to some of his best! I hope he gives us something truly wild on Sunday!

It will be ~15 weeks since his last DBS cut which itself was pretty conservative in terms of animation... Don't wanna get too excited but things are looking good right?

And hopefully Tate can finally give us a breathtaking cut that overthrows his Golden Freeza one.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:17 pm

-New staff list-

We've been getting some Tiger Mask W staff, but Ryo Onishi is still nowhere to be seen. :think:
With the exception of episode 111 supervisors who I don't know who they are, I'm excited with what we got.

After had read the spoilers, episode 112 about Vegeta's resolve will be knocked out of the park by Toshio's writing. He shines the most when handling stuff like that and Shida's storyboard will make it justice. I've been waiting for Shida to storyboard at least one ToP episode and I'm about to get that.

Looks like Karasawa isn't with Shimanuki this time, and I'm surprised Takahashi's first supervised episode will come so soon. Never thought he would be a supervisor.

To see Shida and Takahashi pop up so soon after the Special makes it seem everything is going out like they planned.

October will be by far the best month for this Tournament!! I'm excited!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I was ill in bed yesterday and spent some hours watching Shida Sakuga videos on YouTube yesterday!! The dude is incredible and his work on DBS doesn't even come close to some of his best! I hope he gives us something truly wild on Sunday!

It will be ~15 weeks since his last DBS cut which itself was pretty conservative in terms of animation... Don't wanna get too excited but things are looking good right?

And hopefully Tate can finally give us a breathtaking cut that overthrows his Golden Freeza one.
I think all of his One Piece work is not as good as the DBS ones.

ADdictedHD

Post by ADdictedHD » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:41 pm

PMD wrote:Hey guys, how can I know which episodes of DBS Shida was in charge of the storyboard? I guess and 8 and 23 are some of them, right?
check here for any staff list queries http://animatorscorner.com/animation_profile/60194
yamero

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:44 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-New staff list-

We've been getting some Tiger Mask W staff, but Ryo Onishi is still nowhere to be seen. :think:
With the exception of episode 111 supervisors who I don't know who they are, I'm excited with what we got.
Namatame is from Tiger Mask and Tanaka is the person who has supervised for the last two Wanpack episodes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Did Shimanuki do uncredited corrections on #35? I swear some drawings looked like his. Anyway #35 had some pretty nice storyboarding!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:22 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:-New staff list-

Namatame is from Tiger Mask and Tanaka is the person who has supervised for the last two Wanpack episodes.
Thanks for clearing that up.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:17 pm

Amir wrote: I think all of his One Piece work is not as good as the DBS ones.
I wouldn't say all his One Piece work, though I do think it is too sped up at times, some of his One Piece work blows anything his done on Super out of the water.

Just look at his cut for the latest One Piece movie, its insane.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
I wouldn't say all his One Piece work, though I do think it is too sped up at times, some of his One Piece work blows anything his done on Super out of the water.

Should you really be comparing a movie to a weekly TV series?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:11 pm

HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

Well he explicitly said all his One Piece work, so I don't think its a stretch to include his movie stuff.

For an example of a scene in One Piece episodes that was a higher quality than his DBS work, look at his gear four transformation or even his stuff in impel down or thriller bark.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 pm

HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

It's better than anything from the last two Dragon Ball movies. Hell, better from any Dragon Ball film other than the Tenth Anniversary film.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:48 am

JazzMazz wrote:
HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I wouldn't say all his One Piece work, though I do think it is too sped up at times, some of his One Piece work blows anything his done on Super out of the water.

Well he explicitly said all his One Piece work, so I don't think its a stretch to include his movie stuff.

For an example of a scene in One Piece episodes that was a higher quality than his DBS work, look at his gear four transformation or even his stuff in impel down or thriller bark.
I am not disagreeing that Shida has done better work in One Piece. I just don't find it fair to compare a movie with a higher budget and time to a tv show. With that said, I can't think of any real outstanding animation from Thriller Bark. Impel Down, the only thing that comes to mind is the warder's poison form.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:10 am

ADdictedHD wrote:
PMD wrote:Hey guys, how can I know which episodes of DBS Shida was in charge of the storyboard? I guess and 8 and 23 are some of them, right?
check here for any staff list queries http://animatorscorner.com/animation_profile/60194
Thanks, I found it in Animators Corner. He did the storyboard for episodes 2, 7, 18, 22 and 95.

I just love this man. Ajay said in his video that Shida's storyboards are not that impressive, but anyways, I watched those episodes again and selected my favourite shots. I hope you don't mind, and tell me if my judgement was wrong in terms of what a storyboarder does in anime. (And sorry if the quality isn't the best, I used my download episodes)

Episode 2 (supervised by Osamu Ishikawa):
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Episode 7 (supervised by Yukihiro Kitano):
[spoiler]Image

This is a nice shot around Beerus before Buu attacks him:

I really like this POV shot
Image[/spoiler]

Episode 18 (Tate + Shida!!):
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Episode 22 (supervised by Yoshitaka Yashima):
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Episode 95 (Shida + Tate again!! Shida also did key animation here, as we all know. Probably, the best looking episode in the history of Dragon Ball franchise):
[spoiler]Image

The change of focus in this one is incredible

Bonus track: this cut which really shows how he influences things with his storyboards. We don't know who did it but Shida's trademarks are all over the place

[/spoiler]

Yeah, this guy is pretty good at his work, hehe. You can notice some patterns, he really likes to emphasize exagerated close-ups, details, perspective, rare camera angles and volumes. I can't wait to see what he does in Episode 112!!!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:04 pm

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/ ... index.html
Site updated with most of the designs, is still missing the remaining U4 fighters, U6 Namekians and Maji Kayo as well as any transformations.
They all look pretty polished surprisingly.