In-Universe Perspective of Name Puns/Themes

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dorexx
Regular

In-Universe Perspective of Name Puns/Themes

Post by Dorexx » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:42 pm

This is a topic I wanted to discuss or see being discussed for a while. What do the name puns mean in-universe? Why did the saiyans choose to name themselves based on vegetables? Maybe the tradition was started at some point in their culture where vegetables were held in high regard. On Earth, there are probably many trends such as families having names based on something. (underwear) Why do Freeza, his men and anyone else have the names they do?

Share any thoughts and ideas.

Please don't give out-of-universe answers. (if you're that person who always does because you lack the creativity to think of an in-universe one, then even go as far as to say they don't exist)
酷签名

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Re: In-Universe Perspective of Name Puns/Themes

Post by Darkton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:42 am

Given the Scouter text and the fact that the Namekians have their own language, I'd just imagine, say, a Saiyan is naming their child after some legendary warrior from a classic myth, one having a kill count in the thousands and was as close to the Legendary Super Saiyan as myth can get... that just so happens to sound like our earth word for Tomato.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:45 am

The saiyan's might have realized they were meat-heads and tried to soften that up my naming themselves after vegetables.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Pocket-God
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pocket-God » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:15 am

Their planet's name is Salad so of course everyone is going to name their after a children a vegetable, as for why they continued after their planet was gone is probably because it became a tradition or something.