No more word filter!

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: No more word filter!

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:36 pm

I don't see any Mexican users calling ChiChi 'Milk'.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:56 pm

Here's the thing, though. Both sides think they are entirely justified in pushing their own set of terms on the other set. For the Japanese fans, their justification is that their version is the original version, which makes it the one, true, real version. Any deviations from it are just plain wrong, so any use of their own terms are simply correcting inaccurate information.

On the other side, the North American fans' justification is that the official license holder has created a version of the series for their particular market. The changes are official, the product is made for them in the language that they speak, and there is therefore no rationale to use terminology from outside of the version that is their own if you are not Japanese.

Yes, I am very firmly entrenched in the former position. And I admit it was actually difficult for me to come up with a justification for the other side. It would be even more difficult if I didn't regularly see YouTube comments less eloquently try to argue it. :P But the reason I say all this is that both sides have their reasoning for believing that they are right and justified, and they are extraordinarily entrenched to feel justified. But it's good to step back and remember that each side doesn't feel like they're being arrogant. They have reasons to feel the way they do. Peoples is peoples.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:42 am

jcogginsa wrote: Bullshit. If you think only the dub fans insist people use those names, you are full of it. Especially since you are talking about a word filter that exists solely to force them to use different names. Get off your god damn high horse.
Not bullshit at all. Find me a single post from a non-American on this forum that uses dub names from that person's local dub in normal conversation, rather than while specifically talking about their local dub's naming schemes.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:39 am

jcogginsa wrote:Bullshit. If you think only the dub fans insist people use those names, you are full of it. Especially since you are talking about a word filter that exists solely to force them to use different names. Get off your god damn high horse.
Please, there's no need to go quite that far in your comments - all you'll be doing is seemingly proving his point for him.
Adamant wrote:This is a franchise. There are things that have names. There's a couple dozen or so different translations out there that change these names to other names, making for a couple dozen different sets of names a group of people could potentially be familiar with, in addition to the original names. One, and only one, of these groups contain fans that insist on using those names from their private localization. One. These aren't the original names, they're not names anyone not familiar with their particular localization would be familiar with, yet they still insist on using them. Do you not see how that is arrogant and rude towards everyone else?
The fact that you say there are "two sides" here only further highlights what I'm saying - there's only one group of dub fans that act like this, while all the other sides are so courteous you don't even notice they are sides.
Again, I don't see why you're so predisposed to assume that any time a FUNi dub fan uses one of those terms, it's basically them thumbing their nose at people, going 'Ha HA! Be confused by my terms that weren't there in the original version, suffer!'. I can practically guarantee to you that nobody, or at least nobody worth talking to regardless of their viewing preference for the series, does that. At all. They just have the names and terms they are used to, and again, I don't see what is so god-awful about them being used to them either. Any refusal on their part to learn the Japanese version names and terms is absolutely, in no way, any worse than your seeming refusal to meet them half way either.

And I again re-state that outside a few examples, most of the names are at the very least similar enough that both sides should at least be able to make an educated guess as to what the other person is talking about, and if not? It's not that hard to ask.
And defending this with "this is an American forum in America and so the American fans of the American dub can run around using the American terms from the American dub because America" doesn't really help make it sound less arrogant.

I'm also fairly sure if I were to suddenly switch over to using Danish manga terminology in my posts you'd just see it as being douchey purely for the sake of being a douche.
I used the word 'America' exactly once in my post there, and for what it's worth 'English' only appeared twice either. So uh, while your attempt to make it sound like I'm sitting there waving a flag going 'MERICA!' is nice and all, that's not anywhere even close to what I was saying, and I think you know that. The internet is a wonderful connecting tool and allows people from all corners of the world to meet up; however, in general you'll still have most of your major traffic of discussion from the area in which you are based. And like it or not, this site is run by a handful of guys in the United States (well, one of them is/was in Japan for a time, to be fair). The original two sites that it was merged from were US creations. As a result, a grand majority of users are also based in the US, so why would it be so surprising that out of those, at least a fair amount are going to be familiar with the dub terms whether or not they actually use them daily themselves?

As for if you started using Danish manga terms in posts, I would certainly be lost at first, since I'm not at all familiar with those terms. But if I wasn't able to figure out who or what you were talking about by the context of the conversation? I'd do exactly as I'm advocating - I'd ask. And failing that, there's always Google too. Running into a term one isn't familiar with isn't and shouldn't be this huge roadblock you seem to think it is, it can and should be used as a learning experience. So no, I wouldn't think you were acting like a douche just because you used a different term. I do wish you'd stop acting as if any and all FUNi dub mention is intended only to confuse you or mock you though.

At the end of the day, I'd say both sides definitely need to try and look at it from the POV in Gaffer's post - both sides are equally in the right to be used to what versions their used to. When either side acts like the other is just dead wrong on something that's a matter of terminology not facts, then all you're going to do is bring in additional unneeded conflict, and frankly, this forum has far too much of that without the additional help. Just respect your fellow fans, and it should work itself out fine in the end, but not if you're completely hellbent on not even trying to see other people's POV.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:42 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'd do exactly as I'm advocating - I'd ask. And failing that, there's always Google too.
This is nice in theory, but judging from the types of things people post on other forums and social media, the vast majority of people don't ever even remotely think to take the initiative to search for something themselves. It doesn't even occur to them. There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but it truly is like most of these other people just never have the thought of, "Oh wait... I can also look this up somewhere."

I wish I could say this was just for DBZ. Or even for anime. Or even for hobbies. But nope...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 am

Unfortunately, that's very true...it's amazing how quickly people can forget the amazing tool that is a search engine, and expect everything they ever needed to just be fed right to them. :crazy:

I still feel the tools and abilities for everyone to know exactly what the other person is talking about are right there though, if one wishes to use them.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:29 am

Kaliba, once again.
This is a franchise that has names. Let's call these A. It has a whole ton of different translations with different sets of name translations. Let's just say there's 25 of them and call them B through Z.

Now, while A are the original names, some people are obviously more used to one of the other sets, since that's the set from the version they're primarily familiar with. However, they tend to be courteous and use A instead, since those are the original names and using those makes it easier for everyone. Except for a number of people used to G, they just keep using G.

You can excuse it with as many "but there's like a lot of people here used to G" as you want, you can call it "both sides" and act like B through F and H through Z don't exist, you can go on and on about how "the people that use A are being equally confusing because maybe the people used to G don't know those names" while again acting as if A and G are the only letters in the alphabet, but in the end... for all 12 years these forums have existed, the only posters that have used their personal local dub names in normal conversation and acted as if they are common knowledge everyone knows have been English dub watchers. There are 8081 registered members on these forums, and out of those 8081, I've never seen a single person familiar with any other translated version run around using their dub terms and names like that. Not once. And I doubt you have either.

Do I really have to tell you that this has to do with courtesy and understanding that people aren't necessarily going to know who the hell Rana and Gomu are? It just looks rude, selfimportant and obnoxious, much like all the "but I am used them" excuses English dub fans keep spouting to defend why they are doing this.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:23 pm

jcogginsa wrote: Bullshit. If you think only the dub fans insist people use those names, you are full of it. Especially since you are talking about a word filter that exists solely to force them to use different names. Get off your god damn high horse.
That wasn't the point of word filter, I don't Kanzenshuu/Daizenshuu EX was even so childish to be "no dub names allowed :think:", it was because this isn't a American only bored, it's a global community, the original SHOULD be used (here, I don't care if say Tien).
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Adamant wrote:Kaliba, once again.
This is a franchise that has names. Let's call these A. It has a whole ton of different translations with different sets of name translations. Let's just say there's 25 of them and call them B through Z.

Now, while A are the original names, some people are obviously more used to one of the other sets, since that's the set from the version they're primarily familiar with. However, they tend to be courteous and use A instead, since those are the original names and using those makes it easier for everyone. Except for a number of people used to G, they just keep using G.

You can excuse it with as many "but there's like a lot of people here used to G" as you want, you can call it "both sides" and act like B through F and H through Z don't exist, you can go on and on about how "the people that use A are being equally confusing because maybe the people used to G don't know those names" while again acting as if A and G are the only letters in the alphabet, but in the end... for all 12 years these forums have existed, the only posters that have used their personal local dub names in normal conversation and acted as if they are common knowledge everyone knows have been English dub watchers. There are 8081 registered members on these forums, and out of those 8081, I've never seen a single person familiar with any other translated version run around using their dub terms and names like that. Not once. And I doubt you have either.

Do I really have to tell you that this has to do with courtesy and understanding that people aren't necessarily going to know who the hell Rana and Gomu are? It just looks rude, selfimportant and obnoxious, much like all the "but I am used them" excuses English dub fans keep spouting to defend why they are doing this.
That's because outside of this website, they will have never met someone familiar with the names of group A. To them, the G names are the ones everyone is familiar with, so they keep using them when they get here. Furthermore, the majority of the people on THIS forum are familiar with the dub names. I have NEVER seen someone here ask who Vegito is, or who Krillin is, or what the Androids are.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:52 pm

I've seen plenty of people ask about Fasha and Tora. Quite a few have gotten confused avout the Ginyus. And I've seen more than one "dafuqs a Pui-Pui?"

If you don't see the logic in a sit focused on the original version having a preference for the original names, then I don't know what to tell you. The phrase "don't shit where you eat" comes to mind. You knew joining up that the original version holds precedence here over the dubs.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 pm

Adamant wrote:This is a franchise that has names. ... Do I really have to tell you that this has to do with courtesy and understanding that people aren't necessarily going to know who the hell Rana and Gomu are? It just looks rude, selfimportant and obnoxious, much like all the "but I am used them" excuses English dub fans keep spouting to defend why they are doing this.
I get it. The franchise has names, and to you and many others the original names are the names, no room for any leeway, apparently - and that's understandable, but only to the degree of your own opinions. It absolutely does not give you the right to speak so absolutely about dub fans. To be honest, when you take it to the degree you're taking it? It's you who starts to come off rude, self important, and obnoxious. We're just going to have to agree to disagree at this point I feel, cuz we're just going in circles at this point, and you're clearly unwilling or incapable of doing exactly as I showed - either asking people who or what they mean when you see a term you don't know, or just simply looking it up yourself. If you're not willing to have a discussion with them or put in the effort to know what they're talking about, then why should they offer you the same courtesy? That's exactly where running into such abrasive reactions to them that is, again, going to keep many fans away and remaining ignorant towards the original version, because it's not in the least bit inviting.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I've seen plenty of people ask about Fasha and Tora. Quite a few have gotten confused avout the Ginyus. And I've seen more than one "dafuqs a Pui-Pui?"
Fasha and Tora are admittedly confusing (I don't think I've ever seen a name changed so much and miss the point so dramatically either, as the 'Toma' to 'Tora' one, jeebus FUNi), but I don't see where the Ginyu names would be confusing. Guldo looks relatively similar to Ghurd, especially if one is familiar with the whole 'l' and 'r' issue that often comes up with Japanese to English translations. The main other spelling for Recoome I've often seem is ReaCoom - again, should be easy enough for people to recognize either one. The same goes for Jeice versus Jhees, or Burter versus Baata, and I don't even know any alternates for Ginyu off the top of my head: they're all at least remotely similar enough that fans on either side really shouldn't have that big of a problem figuring out who the other is talking about, and even if they do, all one need do is ask.

As for Pui-Pui, was that not his name in the Japanese version as well? Checking the manga guide's description for Vol. 38, that seems to be what the site goes with anyway. The only difference between that and what the dub went with I believe is removing the hyphen, and if someone can't figure out it's the same character from just that difference...I don't even have any words at that point really.
Twitter

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:and I don't even know any alternates for Ginyu off the top of my head
Usually just the "Ginew" from Japanese merchandise.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:As for Pui-Pui, was that not his name in the Japanese version as well?
Viz calls him "Pocus".
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:As for Pui-Pui, was that not his name in the Japanese version as well?
Viz calls him "Pocus".
Ack, somehow I forgot about that. It's been too long since I've read that part of the manga, I can't even remember what they did with Dabura (Dabra, I'm guessing?) or Babidi.
Twitter

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:20 pm

Dabra and Bobbidi, the former of which we always used here, and the latter of which we just adopted.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Kaliba, did you just ignore the entirety of what you just quoted? You're still sitting there acting like there's two sides to this while ignoring the twenty-four other sides that are being courteous enough to not use their local names because that's just being needlessly confusing seemingly just for the hell of it. Only one side refuses to do this. So instead of having all twenty-six sides sit there using their local names, twenty-four of the twenty-five translation-sides have the courtesy to use the obvious common ground, with the one last side refusing.

You can't just lump everyone but yourself into "people that aren't familiar with the terms I'm using" and acting like their courtesy just makes them unwilling to use your personal unique terms so why should you use their common, shared ones?
Yet that's exactly what you're doing, to the point of even calling your own side "dub fans" as if the twenty other sides that are used to a foreign dub aren't "dub fans" simply because they're courteous enough to not use their dub names.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:49 pm

I honestly thought the day would never come where I could type "Hercule" into this forum and it wouldn't automatically get edited.

Pandora's box has been opened.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:12 am

And nothing of value was lost that day. Then again I mostly used sub terms anyway so...
Adamant wrote:Kaliba, did you just ignore the entirety of what you just quoted? You're still sitting there acting like there's two sides to this while ignoring the twenty-four other sides that are being courteous enough to not use their local names because that's just being needlessly confusing seemingly just for the hell of it.

You can't just lump everyone but yourself into "people that aren't familiar with the terms I'm using" and acting like their courtesy just makes them unwilling to use your personal unique terms so why should you use their common, shared ones?
Yet that's exactly what you're doing, to the point of even calling your own side "dub fans" as if the twenty other sides that are used to a foreign dub aren't "dub fans" simply because they're courteous enough to not use their dub names.
Ok when I write "King Kai" it's not as some pretentious "use MY terms" act of self worth. It's simply what I use. Yes I am aware you pointed out how this is a selfish way of thinking and I understand the trauma it might cause for someone who has to quckly Google "King Kai" and Krillin in another tab, but I don't think in the grand scheme of things it's really going to create any long lasting confusion and damage since an extremely low number of users use dub names here outside of name comparisons. And honestly not to sound rude, as said earlier get off your high horse. Your bashing of the dub is getting stale to the point where you're becoming the next PenguinTruth. You don't see someone talking about Pokemon getting their head ripped off for calling Lizardon "Charizard.
Only one side refuses to do this. So instead of having all twenty-six sides sit there using their local names, twenty-four of the twenty-five translation-sides have the courtesy to use the obvious common ground, with the one last side refusing.
There is no "side". It's like two users here if even that. And as said before this is an English forum, (yes I know there are international members) the entire forum speaks English and probably has at least basic knowledge of Funimations dub. If one social exception to what to call the names is to be made the English version would be the most logical choice since as said before every member from New York to Japan has at least a basic understanding of the dub even if they don't watch it; it's like trying to be a Nintendo fan in the west and not knowing who "Bowser" is. :crazy:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:29 pm

I am curious. In spite of all of the different language dubs, how many have their own language option in the video games? Because if there's largely only English and Japanese voices/names in the video games, then that greatly stacks the degree to which certain non-original naming conventions permeate the fandom over others. If this is not the case, then the position of "there are so many different languages that the Japanese version has been adapted into, thus they're all equal in how ingrained into the collective fandom they are" holds a lot more weight.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:13 pm

Does anyone else miss the filter, or is it just me?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:40 pm

I miss it, but I think it is nice to do away with censorship. At the same time I think we should everyone to a higher standard and have them actually type the original names.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf