Tiny Details You Didn't Notice

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

veshira
Regular

Tiny Details You Didn't Notice

Post by veshira » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:29 pm

Have there been times where you finally noticed a detail that you hadn't picked up the time you read it before, and it seemed so obvious to you?

For an example, I didn't realize until last week that Namekians had four fingers each hand, while I was reading a doujinshi (of all things) and noticed the artist only gave Piccolo a total of eight fingers per panel. :shock: (Actually, something similar, I was previously shocked [sorta] to find first form Cell had three fingers per hand in the manga.) Finding little differences like that make me feel sort of odd.

I can't really remember any other examples right now, but if I do I'll tell you. Have you ever had those times where you finally realized something about the manga (or the anime) that you didn't before (possibly because you thought it was the same as the anime or the manga, but it wasn't?)
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:10 pm

I posted this up in a thread long ago, but here:

It's from DBZ episode 2, when Raditz is talking to Goku and the gang. You can see Vegeta & Nappa, long before their actual "first appearance" in episode 5.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:16 pm

Well I once noticed in the manga that at the 21st and 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukais you can see Dorothy and company (Oz) in the audience, but yeah......
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

JPA82

Post by JPA82 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:52 pm

something that always bothered me....

Notice the 666 on Mr. Satan's car door? This same car also appears on the little intro when the DBZ episodes return from a commercial (Japanese versions). It's just funny how the Japanese used this number so freely all those years. FUNimation edited it out because they knew they'd be in serious trouble showing it to kids :lol:. I always get this weird feeling everytime I see that car.

Mr. Satan....666.... :? :twisted:

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:21 pm

Well, there's a thing with Piccolo's knee caps. In the 23rd Tenkaichi tournament he has these little pink caps on them, but after a certain point in DBZ they just sort of dissapear. :?

HP
Beyond Newbie

Post by HP » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Sometimes Piccolo's nails are white. Other times they're black. Sometimes long, sometimes short!... :roll:
beareyes [img]http://image1.beareyes.com.cn/joytlun/img/238.gif[/img]

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:17 am

I never noticed that extra saiyan pic; ooohs!

Piccolo's stomach's an enigma too. He occasionaly gets his shirt torn; and it changes from pink bellied to green bellied...(anime)

Maybe Namekians are meant to change color o_O
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:20 am

Actually, the anime changed the number of fingers the Namekians have. o_O; Toriyama drew Daimao, Ma Junior and I think all the other Namekians with just four fingers. Then when the anime came along, they had five.

Though there was one point in the fight between Daimao and Goku that he gained an extra finger in one pannel and lost it in the next. XD

As for tiny details..eh, this could be a major one. Goku and Vegeta put their Potara earings on the wrong sides. One should have had it on his left, and the other on his right. In the manga, both Goku and Vegeta had it on their left ear. Toei stupidly does the same thing in the anime.

Fortunately, it's fixed in the recent games.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:51 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Well, there's a thing with Piccolo's knee caps. In the 23rd Tenkaichi tournament he has these little pink caps on them, but after a certain point in DBZ they just sort of dissapear. :?
He's shown to have pink kneecaps still when he is killed by Nappa when protecting Gohan. All his clothes are shredded after the attack and you can see his bare knees. After that point, they changed it.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:04 am

I dunno if you only wanted this to be anime or manga references or not, but I have a video game one.

In Super Butoden 2, the sprites for Gohan have red belts and wristbands. But they're supposed to be blue. I never noticed this, which is surprising, seeing as how I was looking at those sprites for so long way back when I was trying to make a fangame. :roll:

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:27 pm

Props to Super Butoden for sticking to the original Manga color configuration for Gohan.

I noticed that on the cover of tankoubon 41, Gotenks is shown with a green vest, as opposed to blue. Also, Gotens undershirt is black.

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:40 pm

There should be one more set of Potara earrings. One earring from Kibito and one from Kaioshin.

And Dende heals Gohan and gives him new clothes, which I don't think he had the ability to do before.

Both are in tankobon 41.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:56 pm

Saiyan wrote:There should be one more set of Potara earrings. One earring from Kibito and one from Kaioshin.

And Dende heals Gohan and gives him new clothes, which I don't think he had the ability to do before.

Both are in tankobon 41.
Also, Gohan's earings that he sported during the Z Sword training are to be reasonably assumed that they were Potara earings as well. Wouldn't it have been quite funny if Gohan gave Goku an earing before he left Kaioshin's world as something to keep dear, and out of pure coincidence, Goku puts it on his opposing ear from Gohan's. They merge together, and everyone is jaw dropped.

"How am I gonna explain this to Chichi!? Kaioshin-sama, help...!" XD
14 years later

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:57 pm

Well, this kinda goes goes along with what Leotaku said, but here goes:

In the anime, Cell Game-era Gohann has blue wristbands and belt. In Budokai, they are red. Then in Budokai 2, his bands are blue but his belt is still red. And in Budokai 3 and Sparking!, his outfit is coloured as it is in the anime. :roll:

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:56 pm

Saiyan wrote:And Dende heals Gohan and gives him new clothes, which I don't think he had the ability to do before.
The same thing happens while Goten and Trunks come back from their first fight with Buu as Gotenks. Piccolo not only heals their wounds, but gives them new clothes as well :shock:.

However, this could kinda be justified, since Kami was able to do the same thing in the last Budoukai in DB with Goku's clothes.

Just as a side, thing, was the whole thing with Nameks being either healers or fighters a dub thing, or not? If it wasn't, then it was a complete anime goof for the above mentioned thing with Piccolo.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:30 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Just as a side, thing, was the whole thing with Nameks being either healers or fighters a dub thing, or not? If it wasn't, then it was a complete anime goof for the above mentioned thing with Piccolo.
Though when they merge, who knows how each's abilities could be combined?
I like to think that Piccolo can do not only that, but stuff like teleporting himself between earth and heaven, too.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:36 pm

I just remembered an extra!

Goku's boots. They consist of the red border and brown/yellow string. They're probably the -MOST- mixed up object throughout the DB series.

Why, even that recent IQ gameshow, with it's wonderful quality, overlooked Goku's magicaly boots.

One could argue he had multiple pairs- personaly I think the color-artists just got mixed up.
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:33 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Just as a side, thing, was the whole thing with Nameks being either healers or fighters a dub thing, or not?
Nah, in the original Japanese, Piccolo and Nail are both described as "fighter types" and Dende is apparantly a "Dragon type".

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:29 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Also, Gohan's earings that he sported during the Z Sword training are to be reasonably assumed that they were Potara earings as well. Wouldn't it have been quite funny if Gohan gave Goku an earing before he left Kaioshin's world as something to keep dear, and out of pure coincidence, Goku puts it on his opposing ear from Gohan's. They merge together, and everyone is jaw dropped.

"How am I gonna explain this to Chichi!? Kaioshin-sama, help...!" XD
Well, joking aside, Gohan's earrings don't exist anymore, since Kibito changes his clothing to Goku-style gi.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to add something else from tankobon 41. Gotenks never keeps his battle damage after getting beat up. It shows the battle damage in one panel, and in the next, there's no sign of being beat up.
Last edited by Saiyan on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:29 pm

After watching GT episode 26, I just realized that they basically reused the dinosaur design that Goten and Trunks encountered with Videl in the second Broli movie..only they made it really huge. It has the same goofy look and attitude.