Thoughts on Cell arc

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Thoughts on Cell arc

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:07 am

Aka Artificial Humans arc aka Artificial Humans & Cell Arc aka Whatever the fuck you wanna call the period of Freeza arriving on Earth up to Trunks freeing his future arc
I often see mixed opinions about this arc on the forum. It has some problems and plotholes, yes, but it's still an entertaining arc with a lot of things to love about it, and it's not like all the other arcs are flawless masterpieces.

Bullza
Banned

Re: Thoughts on Cell arc

Post by Bullza » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:29 am

It was the best arc of the lot and probably will never be topped.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:34 am

From the Z era, I think that it is the worst arc. It has enjoyable moments here and there, but it doesn't interest me like the others. The story is ok, but the way they asspulled the ROSAT was just stupid. Gohan was also handled poorly and his transition to being the "main" character was extremely rushed. There are a few more things I don't like, but hey, what the hell do I know. I think the Buu arc is the best in the series.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:45 am

It was a great arc and that's mostly due to it having Goku sit on the side while the supporting characters got the spotlight which is something you never see in Shonen anime.

I also like the serious tone and mystery that it had.

If anyone says DB can't be done without Goku being in the spotlight 24/7 then show them this arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:47 am

Its a great arc although I can't decide if I like it or the Buu arc more. I think both arcs do what they want very well (serious story versus a more comical/whimsy story).

I also like that Yamcha and Tenshinhan still get some moments and are part of the core cast rather than background characters.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:52 am

precita wrote:I can't decide if I like it or the Buu arc more.
It's hard to pick any arc in Z over the other due to how well they're all written and how much each one brings to the table.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:01 am

sintzu wrote:It was a great arc and that's mostly due to it having Goku sit on the side while the supporting characters got the spotlight which is something you never see in Shonen anime.

I also like the serious tone and mystery that it had.

If anyone says DB can't be done without Goku being in the spotlight 24/7 then show them this arc.
True, although during Goku's absence we pretty much got a pattern of Vegeta reaching a new form, being cocky as hell at first, then getting his ass kicked and being pissed off afterwards. Piccolo vs 17 was great though, and it was good seeing Tien get his moment against Cell.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:03 am

One thing the Buu arc has is Goku and Vegeta working together as a team, something we never really had before. Vegeta was still a lone wolf in the Cell arc and still wanted to beat Goku no matter what. We really didn't see any Goku/Vegeta friendship till the end of the Buu arc.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:47 am

I'm not sure, really. On the one hand, it has some of the biggest shares of plot holes, inconsistencies, and characters acting like plain idiots just for the sake of advancing the story. As much as I love the Gohan/Cell fight, the switch of main character comes almost completely out of nowhere and probably could have been handled better. Training and powerups became even easier in this arc, and new forms came out so quickly everyone still gets confused. The Super Saiyan stopped becoming a legend for the sake of the power scale. And finally, things about the arc feel very dated. In particular, Future Trunks feels like he stepped right out of the 90's. And then there's all the other parts of the story that seem to be inspired by The Terminator. It's very much a product of its time.

On the other hand, it probably has the best usage of supporting cast out of all the Z-arcs. (It actually has a bigger cast than the Saiyan attack, and it uses all of them in some capacity. I'd argue Yamcha got a better deal this time. Bulma definitely has more to do.) It has some of the best character development in the series for Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Krillin, and Gohan. Even Piccolo gets some development, and a fitting end to his arc. While the Androids weren't exactly oozing with originality, it did introduce one of the only female villains in the entire franchise with #18, and she was never used as a cheap excuse for fanservice, which I really respect. The arc feels a lot darker and really dwelled on the repercussions of having these incredibly powerful beings on such a small planet. Everything feels a lot more grounded and almost realistic after so long spent on Namek. And I love the Gohan/Cell fight. It's so unlike anything Dragon Ball has ever done, and ever will do. It gets right into character motivations on an almost psychological level. And...I won't lie, I probably take WAY too much meaning out of it.

So...I don't know. I guess I could say "I know it has flaws, but I'm glad it exists"?
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

SsjRavi
Patreon Supporter

Post by SsjRavi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:24 am

Probably my favourite Z arc, it was better paced than the others IMO, had a lot of great moments and gave the side characters a bit more screen time while Goku was incapacitated.
"No. A sword is a weapon. Kenjutsu is the art of killing. Whatever pretty words you use to speak of it, this is its true nature. What Miss Kaoru says are the words of one who has never dirtied her hands. An idealistic joke. But, I like Miss Kaoru's idealism better than its true nature. If one can ask so much, I want the world to accept this joke as its true nature."
- Himura Kenshin

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:04 am

precita wrote:One thing the Buu arc has is Goku and Vegeta working together as a team, something we never really had before. Vegeta was still a lone wolf in the Cell arc and still wanted to beat Goku no matter what. We really didn't see any Goku/Vegeta friendship till the end of the Buu arc.
That's definitely one of the best parts of the arc especially since it took a long time to get there so there was a lot of build up beforehand.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:03 am

It was good and I liked Cell as a villain even if you think he is a typical villain. I also like the evolution in his personality, he slowly becomes more and more arrogant.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:53 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:I'm not sure, really. On the one hand, it has some of the biggest shares of plot holes, inconsistencies, and characters acting like plain idiots just for the sake of advancing the story. As much as I love the Gohan/Cell fight, the switch of main character comes almost completely out of nowhere and probably could have been handled better. Training and powerups became even easier in this arc, and new forms came out so quickly everyone still gets confused. The Super Saiyan stopped becoming a legend for the sake of the power scale. And finally, things about the arc feel very dated. In particular, Future Trunks feels like he stepped right out of the 90's. And then there's all the other parts of the story that seem to be inspired by The Terminator. It's very much a product of its time.

On the other hand, it probably has the best usage of supporting cast out of all the Z-arcs. (It actually has a bigger cast than the Saiyan attack, and it uses all of them in some capacity. I'd argue Yamcha got a better deal this time. Bulma definitely has more to do.) It has some of the best character development in the series for Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Krillin, and Gohan. Even Piccolo gets some development, and a fitting end to his arc. While the Androids weren't exactly oozing with originality, it did introduce one of the only female villains in the entire franchise with #18, and she was never used as a cheap excuse for fanservice, which I really respect. The arc feels a lot darker and really dwelled on the repercussions of having these incredibly powerful beings on such a small planet. Everything feels a lot more grounded and almost realistic after so long spent on Namek. And I love the Gohan/Cell fight. It's so unlike anything Dragon Ball has ever done, and ever will do. It gets right into character motivations on an almost psychological level. And...I won't lie, I probably take WAY too much meaning out of it.

So...I don't know. I guess I could say "I know it has flaws, but I'm glad it exists"?
Interesting post.
I was about to point out the fact that on one hand, it is really well bound into itself , into drama, suspense, action while on the other hand, it is full of inconsistencies, weird shit , plotholes etc.
Androids don't even feel like a threat, Piccolo-Kami reunion looks like a waste to the huge build-up of like 10 arcs or so, the SS forms spam, the time-chamber, goku switching out for gohan just because, etc.

Also,it has Mr Satan :mrgreen:
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:58 am

One of the peak of the franchise, along with 21st TB, RRA, Piccolo Daimou, Saiyajin, Frieza & Boo Arc

Great set-up, fantastic chain-of-events/fights, bullshit main event fight

2/3 so its great arc nonetheless

Though if I gotta be micro-specific, Cell Arc marked Toriyama's lazyness creeping into the manga with boring fight choreography. He musta tapped out by Namek/Frieza Arc

On the other hand, Anime actually "upped" its game & gave us some of an All-Time gorgeous episodes. Ex: Ep 142, 157, 162, 173, 179, 185, 191 etc

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:43 am

Worst of all IMO. That said, that's like the ugliest girl at a beauty pageant - still probably pretty great :)

Some of the over the top SSJ transformations lead the more over the top transformations from the Boo arc, but had none of the humor/charm.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:57 am

I think the cell saga and red ribbon army saga are alike , both has good parts but they're boring for the most time
My English is poor .

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:59 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:I think the cell saga and red ribbon army saga are alike , both has good parts but they're boring for the most time
Yep. We'll put.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:51 pm

z_cherub wrote: That said, that's like the ugliest girl at a beauty pageant - still probably pretty great :)
So true, i absolutely love all of the 1984-1995 Dragon Ball.
Again, the response is kinda mixed to positive. I have love-hate relationship with this arc and i don't know how would i rank it. Some of its problems can be frustrating, but there's something about it that makes it likeable and enjoyable. But i do know that i like Majin Boo arc more.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Holy shit, when i think about it, the Majin Boo arc might be my favorite.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:37 pm

Bullza wrote:It was the best arc of the lot and probably will never be topped.
Yes, I think the idea of bringing the threat back to Earth and using a lot of awesome backdrops (Islands, Frozen Mountains, Canyons, Valleys, Cities, RoSaT, Budoukai Ring) really give the fights some great atmosphere. Although I'd rank Saiyan saga up there for the same reasons.