Which Goku voice is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Which Goku voice is the best?

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Which Adult Goku voice actor do you guys prefer?
A) Masako Nozawa (Japanese)
B) Sean Schemmel (FUNimation)
C) Any Ocean/Blue Water voice actor (eg Peter Kelamis, etc)
D) A foreign language voice actor

I'd say I like Schemmel better because I find it somewhat creepy that in Japanese Adult Goku's voice is literally the same as it was when he was a kid. However, I do like Nozawa's Kid Goku, but not as much as Stephanie Nadolny's.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Which Goku voice is the best?

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:56 pm

I wonder which one... hmm... lol

Sean for me, as it's the one I watched first.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:01 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Japanese Adult Goku's voice is literally the same as it was when he was a kid.
Nozawa's voice actually changes a lot for adult Goku. I think it's become a bit higher-pitched again in Super with her aging, but try comparing a clip from Dragon Ball to one in Z. It's also kind of shocking to think his adult voice is done by a woman--it hits a really specific range.

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Frankly here is actually a japanese male voice of Goku which I think sounds pretty cool. But what do you think?
Maybe they wanted him to sound like male when he turns super saiyan, but then removed it in final cut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3K6wF-2FFE

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:46 pm

Nozawa sounds very different depending on Goku's age. I assume that misconception comes from a lack of familiarity. It's pretty obvious just by comparing two clips.

But yeah, my vote is Nozawa. Though I've always had a thing for Kelamis.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Nozawa. I am however, fond Corlett and Klemis.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:56 pm

Protege wrote:Frankly here is actually a japanese male voice of Goku which I think sounds pretty cool. But what do you think?
Maybe they wanted him to sound like male when he turns super saiyan, but then removed it in final cut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3K6wF-2FFE
That sounds an awful lot like someone simply changing the pitch when Nozawa speaks. You can even hear the change in the music.

Nozawa is definitely my favorite Goku, with Schemmel being my second. I think Kelamis would have been my favorite English voice if he had been allowed to infuse some of the "country bumpkin" into his acting like he did as Rolf in Ed, Edd, n Eddy. Maybe not quite the same as his Rolf voice, but something a little similar perhaps? He was really great in some of the movies though.

I also think Nozawa's adult Goku sounds significantly different than the voice that she used when he was a child. Her Kid Goku is unmatched though, her voice was absolutely adorable during the original run.
Last edited by Wezenheim on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:57 pm

Ian James Corlett, with Nozawa as second.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:25 pm

None of the dub actors compare to Nozawa, but I do have a soft spot for Corlett and Schemmel. Corlette gave believable performances, but the characterizion was off. Schemmel is closer to Nozawa these days, but she's still closer to the child-like hick. The real shame is that no english v.a. has ever really played both kid Goku and adult.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:53 pm

Peter Kelamis was the least bad English Goku, from what I can dig up.(jesus christ... "i'm not afraid of dreams"? really?)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:49 am

Nozawa without a second thought. Though I have developed a growing fondness for Peter Kelamis and Ian Corlett since recently discovering them a few months back.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sun May 22, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:16 am

For me its a tie between Nozawa and Mario Castañeda (LatAm dub). For me Nozawa sounds like the perfect "japanese" Goku and Castañeda the perfect "western" Goku.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:16 am

Nozawa & Peter Kelamis

Though I'd say Sean has improved by leaps & bounds by Funi's Boo Arc. His works from then on had been very consistent & progressive tbh

Nozawa's voice is what flows through my mind as I even close my eyes & "think" of a scene. Its that connected & cannot be detached. At least for now.

Kelamis brings the "boyish charm" factor super convincingly & doesnt sound too dumb (which Sean does at times to aggrandize Goku's innocence) which is the closest portrayal an Eng Dub has ever done justice to Goku

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:42 am

For me it's

1. Sean Schemmel. To me his voice has always been a natural fit for Goku. He can do innocent/carefree as well as serious/angry. His performance has gotten better over the years too and his screams are great.

2. Ian James Corlett aka the original English Adult Goku. He always had a really natural and confident delivery, and I always felt like his voice suited the heroic side to Goku that Funimation put extra emphasis on back in the day.

3. Masako Nozawa. She's the original voice for Goku and has played the character for 3 decades. That's some serious dedication to a character. Although she isn't quite my favourite, I will say that I enjoy listening to her performance and that she has been the most consistent out of all of Goku's actors.

4. Peter Kelamis. I have mixed feelings about him. I thought he was overall pretty good during the Saban dub and Ocean Movies 1-3. His delivery could sound occasionally awkward, but overall he was solid and his screams were really good. His performance seriously went downhill during the Westwood dub of the Android and Cell sagas to the point were I was glad to see Kirby Morrow takeover.

5. Kirby Morrow. Not as bad as a lot of people say and probably one of the few decent performances in the Westwood dub. He was serviceable in the role, although he never really made Goku sound angry.

6. Jeffrey Watson (Blue Water DB Piccolo Jr saga). I thought he was an interesting choice in that he didn't really sound like any other English VA for Goku. He was definitely age appropriate although his acting was lacking in places.

7. Jeremiah Yurk (Blue Water GT). The main problem is his voice sounding too deep and old for Goku (even in GT), and the fact that he was cast as a Kirby Morrow sound alike. He had some decent moments as SS4 Goku but overall didn't fit the character that well.

8. Big Green VA. Yeah pretty much didn't suit Goku at all.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:53 am

Masako Nozawa

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:54 am

For me it currently goes:

Ian James Corlett > Peter Kelamis > Kirby Morrow > Israeli Goku > Jeffrey Watson > Nozawa > Sean Schemmel > Hindi Goku > Jeremiah Yurk > David Gasman > Mario Castañeda > Speedy dub Goku
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:04 am

For fighting and serious scenes,i prefer Sean by a mile.For gag scenes and slice of life episodes,i prefer Nozawa.Overall,it's a 50/50 for me.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:53 am

The Goku and Vegeta of my heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu5DhdpB5-g
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:29 pm

To me...I put both Masako Nozawa and Sean Schemmel (modern Kai era on) at roughly the same level in my top voices for Goku. Nozawa's just a wonderful Goku and really puts her heart into the role, and Schemmel has really come a long ways towards being a fantastic Goku who is really passionate about the role (he wanted to fix Kaio-Ken's pronunciation, and he chose, without it being scripted, to do a take with "I am the Super Saiyan, Son Goku!").

When I first saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov0sx1-NrMg

I could have nearly cried, because that's what I wanted for so many years from my dub. A good, passionately delivered work that was fairly accurate to the story and keeping to what music the series had.

And he's only gotten better.

Nozawa, meanwhile, has managed to keep doing spectacular performances for so many years, and while the voice surprised me at first listen, I got over that quickly enough to enjoy an amazing run on the character of Goku.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:48 pm

Nozawa, no question. I have little against any of the other performers who have taken on the mantle, but no one captures what it means to be Goku quite like her.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4