Please just no! (complaints about Arale)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Please just no! (complaints about Arale)

Post by Protege » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:25 am

So what do you guys think the whole future character that suppost to appear in dragon ball super!?? Is it really going to be Arale instead of the Future Trunks that we thought ;(

I hope not. cause that would be soo lame and let down...

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Please just no!

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:37 am

Give it a chance. The character might grow on you. Her coming back does signal Dragon Ball going back to it's roots though
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:41 am

I'm not sure that Toriyama was referring to Arale, as I'm not sure if she applies to the "future" comment, but if he is there is no reason to be disappointed. She's an absolutely charming character.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:42 am

I'm looking forward to it. Arale is sure to bring a comedic feel reminiscent of early Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:43 am

I doubt she is the character that they hinted out earlier. If she is, I rather have her than Future Trunks. Future Trunks needs a good reason to show up in the story than just be fan service for the fans that want him back just to be cool.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:53 am

Bansho64 wrote:Why is it a letdown? We're seeing a character that hasn't been shown in ages. It's a surprise and not predictable. Future Trunks has been in a LOT of promotional material and games and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him come back. It'd be cool to see what they could do with Arale.
but I remember in dragon ball they introduced her as this side village character. Why would out of the sudden they give her a larger role in the story when she wasent even present during most of the DBZ arc? What are they going to do next? Introduce Tori bot into a story, even he was always hinted in those money bills!??

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:55 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I doubt she is the character that they hinted out earlier. If she is, I rather have her than Future Trunks. Future Trunks needs a good reason to show up in the story than just be fan service for the fans that want him back just to be cool.
Literally same!! There has to be a good reason for Arale to show up in the story rather than just for fan service. And right now i dont see that good reason. Shes not even from the same show lol.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

I feel like Super hasn't achieved the "super serious" mode it'd need to be in for Future Trunks to do his best. He's from arguably the most serious non-comedic arc in Dragon Ball and if he comes back I'd rather he bring that kinda plot with him. He was one of my favorites at the time, but I'm honestly not all that interested in him coming back right now because what I like best about Super is when it's having fun and doing slice of life stuff. Also I want to see Vegeta visit Planet Sadla so badly that bringing Future Trunks back now and doing time travel stuff (I'm so DB time traveled out due to Xenoverse and DBO) would feel like stalling for time to me; I wouldn't be able to get invested in him when there's other stuff I want to find out the answers to so much more.

Arale I can say I presently like more than Pilaf Gang, and I'm happy to see her make a return, but I'm almost certain it's just going to be a cameo because her Dr. Slump gag manga physics might clash with Dragon Ball's that they'd nerf her strength just so that she doesn't overpower the entire cast, Beerus and Whis included. ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:06 am

Chuquita wrote:I feel like Super hasn't achieved the "super serious" mode it'd need to be in for Future Trunks to do his best. He's from arguably the most serious non-comedic arc in Dragon Ball and if he comes back I'd rather he bring that kinda plot with him. He was one of my favorites at the time, but I'm honestly not all that interested in him coming back right now because what I like best about Super is when it's having fun and doing slice of life stuff. Also I want to see Vegeta visit Planet Sadla so badly that bringing Future Trunks back now and doing time travel stuff (I'm so DB time traveled out due to Xenoverse and DBO) would feel like stalling for time to me; I wouldn't be able to get invested in him when there's other stuff I want to find out the answers to so much more.

Arale I can say I presently like more than Pilaf Gang, and I'm happy to see her make a return, but I'm almost certain it's just going to be a cameo because her Dr. Slump gag manga physics might clash with Dragon Ball's that they'd nerf her strength just so that she doesn't overpower the entire cast, Beerus and Whis included. ^^;
OP to even Beerus and Whis? Is she on universal ++ level?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:13 am

Protege wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I feel like Super hasn't achieved the "super serious" mode it'd need to be in for Future Trunks to do his best. He's from arguably the most serious non-comedic arc in Dragon Ball and if he comes back I'd rather he bring that kinda plot with him. He was one of my favorites at the time, but I'm honestly not all that interested in him coming back right now because what I like best about Super is when it's having fun and doing slice of life stuff. Also I want to see Vegeta visit Planet Sadla so badly that bringing Future Trunks back now and doing time travel stuff (I'm so DB time traveled out due to Xenoverse and DBO) would feel like stalling for time to me; I wouldn't be able to get invested in him when there's other stuff I want to find out the answers to so much more.

OP to even Beerus and Whis? Is she on universal ++ level?
I don't know what that term means because I don't normally do power level stuff. ^^;

Arale is really overpowered, but only because Dr. Slump is a gag manga. If the plot calls for her to be strong enough to achieve something, she'll likely be able to do it. Her only weakness that I know of is when she runs out of the oil and has to drink more (it's got some vitamin-type name to it--Robovita A? My volumes are all in storage.) because if she runs out she slows down and freezes in place like the Tin Man in Wizard of Oz. She's also really near-sighted and everything's blurry without her glasses, but she can still cause destruction on a scale that would have to be nerfed for her to fit into a serious story-line imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:16 am

If she is the future related character (i don't think so) that would be ultra disappointing. I hope that she'll appear in 1 filler episode and Future Trunks is going to return soon. I really don't care about Dr. Slump...

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:37 am

As much as I love Dr. Slump, and I really do want to see her and the rest of Penguin Village (Tori Bot ?) it should be short term. No offense to his many fans but I really really don't want Trunks to return.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:47 am

There's very little reason for Arale and co to return, but there is even less reason for Future Trunks to return. For all we know, he and everybody else in that timeline could have been killed by a Future counterpart of Majin Boo.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:43 am

That would be the most disappointing thing they could do, not because she's a bad character but because of the way they were talking in the interview, they made it seem like whoever would be heavily involved with the plot so if that's who'll be involved then yeah, that would be lame.

Current DB is light hearted enough as it is and a bit too light hearted for a good amount of fans so adding her as a main character would be overkill.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:19 am

sintzu wrote:That would be the most disappointing thing they could do, not because she's a bad character but because of the way they were talking in the interview, they made it seem like whoever would be heavily involved with the plot so if that's who'll be involved then yeah, that would be lame.

Current DB is light hearted enough as it is and a bit too light hearted for a good amount of fans so adding her as a main character would be overkill.
Have you seen original Dragon Ball?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:26 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:Have you seen original Dragon Ball?
Yeah, especially Krillin's death, Roshi's sacrifice, Goku going through King Piccolo & Piccolo shooting a hole through Goku's shoulder during their fight.

I know DB started out as a gag/ light hearted story but that kind of ended after the 22nd Tournament and even got a bit dark during certain parts like the Cell arc and Trunks' timeline.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:55 am

sintzu wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:Have you seen original Dragon Ball?
Yeah, especially Krillin's death, Roshi's sacrifice, Goku going through King Piccolo & Piccolo shooting a hole through Goku's shoulder during their fight.

I know DB started out as a gag/ light hearted story but that kind of ended after the 22nd Tournament and even got a bit dark during certain parts like the Cell arc and Trunks' timeline.
And then returned to gag/ light hearted story with Majin Boo arc.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:15 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:And then returned to gag/ light hearted story with Majin Boo arc.
But it still had a lot of serious moments to balance it out like Videl getting beaten up mercilessly, Piccolo ripping Babidi in half, Vegeta's sacrifice, Babidi making a guy's head explode, a gunman killing an old couple for the fun of it & Buu killing everyone on earth before eating The Z fighters and their families alive.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:24 am

Danfun64 wrote:There's very little reason for Arale and co to return, but there is even less reason for Future Trunks to return. For all we know, he and everybody else in that timeline could have been killed by a Future counterpart of Majin Boo.
If Buu was in his timeline he would appear when Trunks is 9 years old.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:52 am

sintzu wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:And then returned to gag/ light hearted story with Majin Boo arc.
But it still had a lot of serious moments to balance it out like Videl getting beaten up mercilessly, Piccolo ripping Babidi in half, Vegeta's sacrifice, Babidi making a guy's head explode, a gunman killing an old couple for the fun of it & Buu killing everyone on earth before eating The Z fighters and their families alive.
True, but it's not so much about the quantity as it is when it occurs. Far too often it undercuts the stakes, such as during the entire Gotenks vs. Buu fight.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.