No more spoilers, please.

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

No more spoilers, please.

Post by Nafno » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Could you please stop spoiling Dragon Ball Super things on the main website?

I like to be surprised, to see the new things when they appear on the show (which I thought it was normal but I am starting to thing that I am a rara avis).

I don't look at potentially dangerous posts, I avoid youtube recommendations as much as possible, but I visited Kanzenshuu website because they used to be respectful with this matter and I could keep up to date with Dragon ball news.

That was until this week, that you directly spoiled that
If that wasn't enough, 24 hours later you went on with an even bigger spoiler
I think it is not hard to make more ambiguous headlines, something like "A new character is going to appear on Dragon Ball Super", so if someone wants to know who, he can read the rest of the article, but if someone doesn't, he can avoid being spoiled.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: No more spoilers, please.

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:57 pm

You may wish to read this thread for a previous request on this. In general, there are a couple levels to our answer:

(1a) Spoilers are only "spoilers" until they happen. After that, it's just historical information. We are an information website above all else. Archiving a story as "New Character Appears" or "Old Character Returns" provides very poor documentation and future searchability (and very poor SEO on top of that!).

(1b) Who gets to decide what "spoilers" are, anyway? If Toei purposefully reveals it all ahead of time (see: SSGSS and Golden Freeza), is it not a "spoiler" and are/or we supposed to not report it and show it because someone might not want to see it? Two voice actors contributed to publicly stating Arale would be returning, and they did so ahead of her appearance. Information is information, and it either exists or it doesn't.

(2) We are in the business of reporting news, not policing or babysitting personal sensitivities to it. I know that sounds harsh, but the only blanket answer you can give that's "fair" is "everything is game". The instant you start adding stipulations on top of that, you're getting too granular to be consistent. We're either all-in or we're not doing our job. We'll go all-in.

(3) Let's be honest: Kanzenshuu is one of (the? up to you to decide...) premier spots online for timely, accurate, and comprehensive Dragon Ball reporting and documentation. If you've made it to us, you're here for a reason. Your expectations should already be set.

Unfortunately for your situation, our answer is clearly not one you're looking for and my best suggestion is something I don't ever want to have to suggest: don't visit the website until you're in a position where you're ready to see anything and everything.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:04 pm

(1a) Yes, but they have not happened, so they are spoilers. The archiving of information can be edited, I presume.

(1b) No individual gets to decide a concept that it`s pretty well established. Rolling your eyes and saying "Well, what is spoiler anyway?"it's a pretty condescending way of dealing with it. We all know what a spoiler is, and the last two entries were definitely spoiler.

(2) I don't know at what point trying to enjoy a show without knowing what is going to happen has become "personal sensitiveness". I think not spoiling a show is what we used to call "being polite". I also don't think that the black and white option you are showing is something desirable. Being extremist is never good.

(3) Being honest, yes, Kanzenshuu is the best source of Dragon Ball information I know. That's why I bothered to create this thread. If it was another website I would just stop visiting it and that's all (like I did with one that you know well, the Spanish Ramenparados, which started in the spoilers business too), but I didn't want to stop visiting this website because it would be a loss.

But unfortunately, I am going to have to accept your suggestion and stop visiting this website. As I understand it, these kind of sites are a wonderful tool to enjoy even more a hobby, Dragon Ball in this case. But if you start spoiling the new show on the main web, it stops being a tool to enjoy more Dragon Ball and it becomes a tool to diminish the enjoyment of it, which, for me, it doesn't have any sense. I visit this web because I am a Dragon Ball fan, not the opposite.

Thanks for everything.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Nafno wrote:The archiving of information can be edited, I presume.
Not without breaking links. Sure, redirects can be set up (and generally are), but it's still far from best-practices in terms of initial setup and ongoing maintenance. Again, we are an information database, and we're going to set things up properly from the start.
Nafno wrote:No individual gets to decide a concept that it`s pretty well established. Rolling your eyes and saying "Well, what is spoiler anyway?"it's a pretty condescending way of dealing with it. We all know what a spoiler is, and the last two entries were definitely spoiler.
I don't propose this as some existential, condescending argument. The example I gave (SSGSS and Golden Freeza) is a real-life one that we just went through last year. The movie was released April 18th. On March 2nd, Toei released a trailer showcasing Golden Freeza. On April 13th, Weekly Jump showed SSGSS with a full description of it in the movie and also detailed its upcoming inclusion in Extreme Butoden. That same week, Bandai Namco released a video for Zenkai Battle Royale showcasing both SSGSS Goku and Golden Freeza by name and with full move sets. All of this was ahead of the film's public release date.

This is what I'm talking about. Who exactly gets to decide what a spoiler is? Is it perfectly OK for us to showcase things as long as Toei officially does it themselves first? Plenty of people would take issue with that, and in fact, did at that time last year (not wanting to see anything ahead of viewing the movie for themselves).

So again: Mayumi Tanaka publicly posted a photo with Mami Koyama, and Mami Koyama's own website publicly lists Arale as appearing in a specific upcoming episode of the show. This is news to report, and done so as I've already described: factually.
Nafno wrote:But if you start spoiling the new show on the main web, it stops being a tool to enjoy more Dragon Ball and it becomes a tool to diminish the enjoyment of it, which, for me, it doesn't have any sense. I visit this web because I am a Dragon Ball fan, not the opposite.
While I can't speak for everyone, there is significant evidence that points to "spoilers" not actually having an effect on the ultimate enjoyment of a product. To be fair, there's also evidence to the contrary - but on this end of the spectrum, the evidence points to it not actually affecting things to a degree that people think/assume/claim.

Again, it's a terrible answer, because the last thing I want is to suggest people not visit our website. I want you to visit, I want you to love it, and I want you to get everything you want out of the experience! At the same time, you have to ask yourself: just how "into" it (the show, the fandom, etc.) do you want to be? Maybe for you, it's best to come back when there isn't a new production airing for the first time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:59 pm

As someone who has fairly consistently been behind on seeing new material (Jaco, Battle of Gods, F, and now Super), and as someone who likes to avoid spoilers, I sympathize with you. However, you can't expect an up-to-date news and information site to, well, not report up-to-date news and information. Because of that, I too have had to make the choice to sometimes avoid the main site and the podcast, which I used to follow religiously. But I've certainly never faulted them for that. It's simply the nature of the beast. You can avoid spoilers or you can follow all of the news, but it's going to be almost impossible to do both.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2